Google ads to be encrypted

For discussions about security.
labbe5

Google ads to be encrypted

#1 Post by labbe5 »

Google being so pervasive, it is only natural that it takes the lead in Web security. And one of its goals is HTTPS everywhere, most notably encrypting ads, which will provide a higher security level for internet users worldwide. Malvertising will be nipped in the bud by this initiative.

Information about this initiative, and others, is found here :
http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.ca ... where.html

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

That also makes it very difficult to block too at least by pattern matching ...at the moment my router prevents google ads but anything https is not blocked... facebook is an example where employees go for the https version to get around their company's block.

So perhaps google's motivation is not so magnanimous

mike

8Geee

#3 Post by 8Geee »

Google = click revenue.
Encrypted ads = NO blocking clickable ads
End-user screwed again
Web-security for nefarious adverts/spamverts
Uncle Barney's wallet must be getting thinner than expected
I <\3 G#
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

bark_bark_bark

#4 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Actually, there still will be malvertising.

Burn_IT

#5 Post by Burn_IT »

Google don't care about your security.
They DO care about people hiding ads.
And I challenge them to dispute that.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

solo

#6 Post by solo »

I've been running the NoScript add-on for a long time now, and my permission list is very very short.
It's bit of a hassle, because nearly every time a website loads, you need to press the NoScript button on the taskbar, and figure out which domains to give temporary permission to load their content.
But for control freaks like myself, it is wonderful.

Takes a bit of getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, you never wanna go back.

Scooby

#7 Post by Scooby »

solo wrote:I've been running the NoScript add-on for a long time now, and my permission list is very very short.
It's bit of a hassle, because nearly every time a website loads, you need to press the NoScript button on the taskbar, and figure out which domains to give temporary permission to load their content.
But for control freaks like myself, it is wonderful.

Takes a bit of getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, you never wanna go back.
Any change you could write up a tutorial?

solo

#8 Post by solo »

Scooby wrote:Any change you could write up a tutorial?
I don't really think a tutorial is neccessary. If you are running a Mozilla based browser, you simply find the NoScript add-on with the add-on manager and then install it.
When installed, it will probably show by a button either on the bottom of your browser screen, or in your taskbar at the top. It looks like a no-go traffic sign with a little S shaped snake thingy in it.
Anyway, first thing you do, is click on that, and then choose options in the menu. You can pretty much leave all other settings alone, but what you want to do is go to the permission list, and pretty much remove almost everything in there.
The only domains I have left in my permission list, are addons.mozilla.org, mozilla.net, noscript.net, and about:blank. :)
In practical terms, this means that every time you visit a website, and it does not show you the content, or give you the functionality you desire, you will have to click on that NoScript button, and give temporary permission to the domains you suspect carry that content or functionality.
For you to be able to play and browse videos on YouTube.com for instance, the only domains you will have to give temporary permission to are youtube.com, and ytimg.com.
The moment you close your browser, those temporary permissions are retracted again.
For people who use a lot of services by Google, this will prove to be too much of a hassle. Google has A LOT of different domains and a lot of functionality seems conditional to most or all domains being given permission. Try something as simple as viewing Google Maps, for instance.
But for people who'd rather keep institutions as pervasive as Google as much at bay as possible, this could be the answer.