Puppy 2.10 fails to detect pup_save.3fs on NTFS part at boot

Booting, installing, newbie
alasdair

Puppy 2.10 fails to detect pup_save.3fs on NTFS part at boot

#1 Post by alasdair »

Hi,

Puppy appears not to be able to detect the pup_save.3fs on an NTFS partition. This is the primary partition on the drive. Windows XP runs from here. There is a small partition hda1 which is occupied by some Dell utilities I think. Unfortunately I am not sure how to slow or stop the boot messages in Puppy so I may have missed some error msg.

The file was created after closing down for the first time as per the dialogs at shutdown. The NTFS partition was defragmented before this was done. The file is present but is only viewable in Windows explorer from XP, dev_save is also visible. Nothing is visible in Rox /mnt/hda2. On my other box with XP (with Puppy running) on it you can see /home of which all the sub-directories are the contents of C drive in XP.

When I shut or re-boot puppy it asks "Do I want to save to disk ect" with the usual warnings about de-fragging. This is after having created pup_save.3fs in a previous session. From my previous experience in 2.10 on other boxes it only asks you this once and once the file is created it saves automatically to this file every time you poweroff or reboot.

When you try to save the file the following message comes up

Code: Select all

There already exists a pup_save.3fs on the partition you chose
There is no restriction to saving the file except for advice about automatic re-naming.
So it would seem that some part of Puppy is "aware" of the existance of the file but that it is not being located correctly at boot time, or for some reason cannot be read at boot time.
Is there a .conf file or similar that needs to be edited or a script to run to correct this?
I have searched for something of this nature in the wikki and on this forum but not come across anything that sheds light on the situation.

I have used Puppy on a Win98 box and another XP box also a Dell and have not experienced this problem before.

Thanks in advance,

Alasdair

Dougal

#2 Post by Dougal »

In the /tmp directory you'll find .log files, containing the output from bootup, try looking in them and find the part where the HD is scanned for pup_save files…
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

alasdair

#3 Post by alasdair »

Thanks dougal,
I'm away from computer today, but will investigate tmorrow and post question or solution depending on results.

alasdair

#4 Post by alasdair »

Dougal,

I looked in /tmp for the logfile you mentioned. Nothing there, I clicked the hidden files button in the Rox viewer window just to be sure. I also used the command

find / -name *.log | less

Just to triple check. It revealed nothing.

After this I shut down restarted in XP and deleted the files pup_save.3fs and dev_save.

Restarted: in Puppy .

Did all the usual set-up (Xorg ect).

Shutdown: went through creation of pup_save.3fs.

Restarted: Puppy

On startup no problems previous config was re-created.
However using MUT upon opening /mnt/dev_save is already mounted (not sure if this is default or not), but clicking on "unmount" does nothing . Clicking on the "Rox" icon produces the error message

"/mnt/dev_save" not found

Opening Rox from the menu :

Opens OK

/mnt/dev_save is viewable.

Shutdown :

Produces the same results as detailed in my first post.

Restarted: Puppy

No settings saved. Any clues??

Thanks,

Alasdair

Dougal

#5 Post by Dougal »

Oops… the .log files were added in 2.11…

Concerning /mnt/dev_save, it should be actually /initrd/mnt/dev_save and you should not be able to unmount it.

I have no idea why your pup_save isn't recognized, though…

When you run Puppy and mount the partition it's on, does it show the name "pup_save.3fs" or "PUP_SAVE.3FS"? I was thinking maybe something in Windows is messing it up…
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

alasdair

#6 Post by alasdair »

Hi Dougal,

Regarding initrd/mnt dev_save, of course your right, derrrrrrrrrr should have realised that was the case.
It seems that it is some type of Windows stuff-up, I deleted pup_save.3fs and went through the whole procedure again and this time it seems to be detected ok . Bit of a mystery there, unless it was something to do with XP running on Dell PCs.
Just for anyone else reading the post with the same problem, I would reccomend deleting pup_save.3fs . Then rebooting and setting up as little as possible then rebooting to check if it is detected ok on the next boot. Then do the major set-up . The most failures I've had is 2 and I've set up pup_save.3fs on 5 different computers. Have pup will travel!!
BTW Dougal. How is Florence these days?

Alasdair

Dougal

#7 Post by Dougal »

alasdair wrote:How is Florence these days?
??
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

alasdair

#8 Post by alasdair »

Sorry Dougal,

Florence, the friend of your avatar Dougal see here:

http://magicroundabout.com/

Perhaps you are much younger than me, I ahve fond memories of watching this programme on British TV in the 70s.

Regards,

Alasdair

Dougal

#9 Post by Dougal »

Yeah, it occured to me afterwards what you were referring to... I originally thought you ment the town of florence...

I never got to watch it on TV until a few years ago (Cartoon Nettwork had it on at about 1am...) but I did have a cloth "poster" of Dougal in my room as a kid (and still do!).
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

joki

#10 Post by joki »

try 2.12

i reported this problem with 2.10 and 2.11 but with the 3fs on a fat32 partition.

Nobody confirmed there was a problem but since going to 2.12 the boot seq has always detected my 3fs.

It looks like it's fixed in 2.12, haven't checked the changelog tho

Dougal

#11 Post by Dougal »

joki wrote:try 2.12

i reported this problem with 2.10 and 2.11 but with the 3fs on a fat32 partition.

Nobody confirmed there was a problem but since going to 2.12 the boot seq has always detected my 3fs.

It looks like it's fixed in 2.12, haven't checked the changelog tho
Barry has added code that looks for "PUP_SAVE.3FS" and renames it "pup_save.3fs"...
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

alasdair

#12 Post by alasdair »

Further discovery!!

This problem occurs when you try to boot puppy (from CD) on a system that has pup_save.3fs saved on it and XP has not been closed down properly .

eg: power failure, someone just pressed the off switch, or one of the many crashes or hangs that MS OSs experience.

How to Fix

Close down Puppy without saving pup_save.3fs especially not replacing it if requested to do so . If you do, you will lose all your carefully set up settings from the pup_save.3fs that puppy failed to detect when you started this current puppy session.

Then: Start XP and close it down cleanly.

Restart

Insert Puppy CD and voila! pup_save.3fs will be detected and you should be set up as before.

This applies only to Puppy 2.10 I have not tried any other versions

Took me a while to realise what was going on here . I hope this helps

Alasdair

joki

#13 Post by joki »

glad you've figured it out.

i was on frugal install - pup_2xx.sfs and pup_save.3fs on root of my windows d drive (extended partition, fat32). it wasn't a filename case problem. in the end i had to mount the 'unrecognised' 3fs and copy its contents to a new 3fs in order to rescue my personal data. not had to do this at all with 2.12 and wine works better too. 2.12 for my setup is reliable