Nasty Installation

Booting, installing, newbie
Kneub

Nasty Installation

#1 Post by Kneub »

I have been doing a lot of reading here but have been unable to find a similar problem, here goes;

I take care of an old i-opener that is being used as an electronic picture frame (screen saver under windows 98) at church. (not to mention a few games for the kids and some bible search software). Anyway since windows hangs every day or so because of its memory leaks (info from a micrsoft employ friend) I want to install puppy. Now here is the catch; The iopener BIOS is cripled so NO external devices can be used as a boot device. The iopener can boot from either of two internal hard drives. The small one is only 16 meg (8 meg remaining) and is steup as an emergency DOS boot disk (EMB). The larger one (12 Gig) is what I want to reformat and install puppy onto.

The EMB is what I used to install win 98 with as it has DOS USB drivers and I have added a DOS menu with an option to initiate the win 98 installation by pointing to the installation files on a USB CD rom drive. Is there any way to do something similar with Puppy so it can be installed on the large HD?

ezeze5000

Hard drive install

#2 Post by ezeze5000 »

You could remove the drive and put it in another PC to install Puppy, then put it back
in the original PC. I have installed puppy this way many times.
If you are low on ram you could creat a swap partition at the same time.

I hope this helps.
If at first you don't succeed try try again!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Ezeze5000's solution is a good one but I would suggest first experimenting using a spare hard drive if you can find one, before deleting the only running OS (bad as it is) from the 12 GB hard drive.

raffy

another option - pup4dos

#4 Post by raffy »

The other option possible is pup4dos - will use what you already have (win98 booting) - http://puppylinux.org/wikka/pup4dos

wakepup should be possible, too, although you will have to change your boot files with it. Just do a search here in the forum.

Kneub

#5 Post by Kneub »

Thank you for the replies. I shall give the PUP4DOS a whirl this weekend (I only have access to the machine Saturday evenings) and let you know how things go.