Apache Web Server

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
dracothered

Apache Web Server

#1 Post by dracothered »

Hi All,

I think that the Apache web sever sould be included in the GetPUP packages as a opotional install feature. Also it may be a good option feature to create a server load for Puppy Linux.
Corbin
Draco the Red

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

Hi Draco,

As you can read in many threads, puppy has not been built to be used as a server but mainly as a personal OS (You can realize that by looking at the list of applications included).

Having said that... There is already a webserver in puppy read this post. There is also a DotPup of a web server with PHP capabilities. It's the monkey web server

Those may be enough to power a farily decent personal web site.

If you really need Apache for a professional web site, I would sugest using a distro with all the security features to run a server.

Again, having said that... Nothing prevents you from getting the apache sources (and dependencies) and compiling them for puppy. Actually that's how the list of DotPups has grown, by people compiling the applications they require and then assembling the DotPups for anyone else that may want it.

I hope that at least one of these options meets your needs.

#3 Post by Guest »

IMHO

Something like a web,ftp should run on a dedicated machine if you're wanting to server pages publicly or in a corparate enviroment.....If for just home use on a machine that runs a desktop something alot lighter in weight is a better option.

But if you REALLY REALLY need apache another distro would be a better option as all the bugs and what not have been ironed out, creating a package for puppy or any other distro is not a light weight under taking as a lot of testing debugging and configuration is involved.

For a small foot print distro that will run apache have a google for Freesco (a small router distro) that runs from a floppy but can be installed to a harddisk and has a huge amount of fully debugged add on packages that may suit your needs.