How do I change Menu surround / Menu Bar Colours?

Using applications, configuring, problems
john biles

How do I change Menu surround / Menu Bar Colours?

#1 Post by john biles »

Hello Me again,
While there are 5 different colour selections in the "JWM Theme Selection" wizard I want to try other colour combinations with the Main Menu surround and the menu toolbar.
First I think I know where to go "jmwrc" file?
but what line do I modify and is there a colour chart giving the correct code for each different colour to enter in.
I have notice other Puppy users have changed these colours, so someone must know. :D
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

WhoDo

Re: How do I change Menu surround / Menu Bar Colours?

#2 Post by WhoDo »

john biles wrote:Hello Me again,
While there are 5 different colour selections in the "JWM Theme Selection" wizard I want to try other colour combinations with the Main Menu surround and the menu toolbar.
First I think I know where to go "jmwrc" file?
but what line do I modify and is there a colour chart giving the correct code for each different colour to enter in.
I have notice other Puppy users have changed these colours, so someone must know. :D
Actually the toolbar stuff is in .jwmrc-tray. I've managed to play around with a few of the colour settings in jwmrc and they worked ok.

To work out which colours, you need a colour chart such as you can find in Gimp. It will tell you the hex number for any particular colour and you can simply plug that in to the text file.

UPDATE: Just noted that the palette editor in mtPaint also has a hex conversion for any selected colour, so you don't even need Gimp.

Hope that helps.

Kal

Tray & Menu Colors

#3 Post by Kal »

The toolbar is in the theme (hidden) /root/.jwm/themes. Example if your using jwm-blueX. Open as text and some colors for the tray are under <TrayStyle>, <PagerStyle>.

The defaults are in .jwmrc, but are over ridden by the theme. It is split between the three with the other colors under <TaskListStyle> in .jwmrc.

The menu colors are in the theme under <MenuStyle> over riding the default in .jwmrc.

Some colors are under .jwmrc-tray for Swallow items.

I use ColorExplorer and Grabc from the Menu> Graphic processing >ColorExplorer find a color and Grabc pick a color for the color number.

I usually just make a new theme, by temporally moving one of the old themes to another folder, taking and copying one of the original themes, rename and place it back in (hidden) /root/.jwm/themes.

Old name is jwm-blueX and rename it (Example) jwm-splashX. Do the same for background, if you want with bg-jwm-blueX. Change name from bg-jwm-blueX to bg-jwm-splashX (Example). Then modify your newly named old theme.

Modify the /root/.jwm/themes/themeslist with a text editor adding new name. Example below, bottom is the new one:

jwm-default Puppy_Default
jwm-puppy-xp Puppy_XP
jwm-blueX Puppy_blueX
jwm-original Puppy_original
jwm-peach Puppy_peach
jwm-splashX Puppy_splashX #See how name is made splashX

Use JWM configuration to go to newly named old theme.

Run jwm -p in terminal to see if there are any errors.

I have another trick for the theme by adding the <TaskListStyle> area into the theme from .jwmrc. Which then over rides .jwmrc.

Good Luck, Kal

PS: If that doesn't confuse you, nothing well. Ask questions, please!

Kal

#4 Post by Kal »

I have been meaning to say that there is an error in the naming of bg-jwm-xp in /root/.jwm/themes. It should be renamed bg-jwm-puppy-xp in order to work.
Kal