How can I see the files on a DVD or CD?

Booting, installing, newbie
bobthort

How can I see the files on a DVD or CD?

#1 Post by bobthort »

This is killing me. I know how to burn the puppy iso. I can boot it up and configure it. I can setup the network and connect to the internet. Matter of fact I'm using Puppy right now as I type. But the one thing I can't do is navigate to the DVD rom or Cdrom. I know they're mounted. I can rip the music from the cd that's currently in the drive with ripperX. But I can't just look at the files through the commandline nor through the File Manager. I just can't find it. Will someone please help me. I've already tried using " mount /dev/home/cdrom/ " and many variations of that. But I get the error message "can't find /dev/home/cdrom/ in etc/fstab. Your help is appreciated. Oh and I did use the mounting tool as well and it says that all drives are mounted. That too, I can't seem to navigate to any other drive either. Thanks

Sorry for the novel.
I'm still trying to move to Linux.

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
That would mount it to /mnt/cdrom.

If you run Mut, it will mount it to /mnt/<drive-designation>, so my cd drive would be at /mnt/hda/. It also has a button that says "rox" that will navigate there for you (autopilot!).

FYI, using an audio cd usually does not involve mounting it at all.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

bob,

which version are you using, and how are you running it? (i.e. frugal, normal hdisk install).

bobthort

#4 Post by bobthort »

I'll try the Mut thing, and if that doesn't work I'll look for the rox button. (although, I'm still trying to learn my way around Linux)

I'm using the latest version off of the CD. I haven't installed it on the harddrive yet. (or actually I'll do a pendrive)

Thanks for the quick responses.
I'm still trying to move to Linux.

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

The error you got is because you were trying to mount it without telling it where to mount it to. That info is normally stored in /etc/fstab. So you could edit that to have the right stuff, or you can use the command I posted.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

hillel

Can't play audioCD and dvd

#6 Post by hillel »

Hi, I have a similar problem, I don't know why I can't play DVD and Audio CD in puppy210, 211, 212? After inserting the audio CD, MUT displays "cdplayer" but gxine or other music player said that there is no disk. I have tried also mounting the device using the command presented by pizzasgood but still a failure. I'm also presented with a notice that it's not in the /etc/fstab. However when I inserted a data disk in cdrom it is easily recognized and I can open the file. Same problem using the DVDrom, its not recognized. I'm using puppy in a pc with windows xp. Gxine can actually play the music files saved in the hardisk. What should i input in the /etc/fstab? I have a separate cdrom/cdwriter and a dvdrom. Can somebody please help? Thanks a lot.

Hillel
puppy newbie

mmmkay

#7 Post by mmmkay »

Im on puppy 2.12 and there is an icon on the desktop that says drives

I just clicked on that and there they were then clicked on mount for each one I wanted to use

it then tells you where in the linux file system to find it (ie mnt/hda1)

you can also click on rox and it will open the rox file browser straight into your chosen drive

until I know what the hell I am doing, Im trying to avoid anything remotely resembling command line stuff :)

Id like to feel as though I understand how linux works first :)