no room to unzip downloads

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
HarleyXD

no room to unzip downloads

#1 Post by HarleyXD »

running a fairly new dell laptop, dual core with a gig of ram. when i download pup files to install, they download fine however i get an error message when i try to install. message says not enough room to unzip try re-downloading...as i type this i have 785M of free ram to work with, way confused.....

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Well from my limited understanding of puppy if you are running in multisession mode then free ram space behaves differently
(virtual memory stoof....ie memory is paged by address to allocate ram space which may be nearly empty but is still not available ...so ram may not be full in literal terms but is full in virtual terms)

So either run saving sessions (ie non multission) to harddrive / pendrive etc..(pup_save.sfs)
and you will have plenty of room or

Run in non multisession mode...reboot creating a 256mb save file (or greater...any less and remastering won't work properly...)....add your dotpups etc....check all is working ok....then remaster using the simple remaster wizard (save image to a different mounted partition to the save file was necessary for me).

Now you should have a fresh cd with your added software which you can go back to multissession mode with but you should find you have more ram space available.

This is from my experience but works...

ps copying root to root when given the option during the remaster will save application setups/addons etc.

Hope this makes sense...its fairly easy and rewritable media comes in handy for tryouts

have fun

mike

I also remember reading elsewhere about himem needing enabling for large memory setups but whether this applies to you I'm not sure

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

You don't say which version of Puppy you're using. Versions prior to 2.10 (if I remember right) had a problem using large amounts of RAM. Something to do with a kernel module named highmem. Barry compiled it into the newer versions. Anyway, if you haven't already done it, try Puppy 2.12.

Gn2

#4 Post by Gn2 »

The old 64MB Ram Size limit problem - has not been a problem for a very long time
Solution - append size in boot loaders

In addition - SOME AMD Cpu arcitectures had an odd probe output Re paging calls.
This was well noted, "work-around" patches available.

Present day:
Newer kernels now have "split" options to address upper memory - See makefile options:

Code: Select all

Subarchitecture       Type (PC-compatible)  --->                                                 
           Processor family (Athlon/Duron/K7)  --->                                                   
   [*] Generic x86 support                                                                        
   [ ] HPET Timer Support                                                                         
   [ ] Symmetric multi-processing support                                                         
      Preemption Model (Voluntary Kernel Preemption (Desktop))  ->                             
   [ ] Local APIC support on uniprocessors                                                        
   [*] Machine Check Exception                                                                    
   <*>   Check for non-fatal errors on AMD Athlon/Duron / Intel Pentium 4                         
   < > Toshiba Laptop support                                                                     
   < > Dell laptop support                                                                        
   [ ] Enable X86 board specific fixups for reboot                                                
  < > /dev/cpu/microcode - Intel IA32 CPU microcode support                                      
  < > /dev/cpu/*/msr - Model-specific register support                                           
  <*> /dev/cpu/*/cpuid - CPU information support                                                 
       Firmware Drivers  --->                                                                     
       High Memory Support (off)  --->                                                            
       Memory split (3G/1G user/kernel split (for full 1G low memory))  --->                     
       Memory model (Flat Memory)  --->                                                           
   [ ] Math emulation                                                                             
   [*] MTRR (Memory Type Range Register) support                                                  
   [ ] Boot from EFI support (EXPERIMENTAL)                                                       
   [ ] Use register arguments (EXPERIMENTAL)                                                      
   [*] Enable seccomp to safely compute untrusted bytecode                                        
            Timer frequency (1000 HZ)  --->                                                            
   [ ] kexec system call (EXPERIMENTAL)