Stable Video Editor & DVD Burner Tool for Puppy 5.2.5???????

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
michaellowe

#1 Post by michaellowe »

Hello all,
I am at my wits end as to finding a stable video editor and dvd burner for puppy 5.2.5.
I have tried Kino but that is just crap and very limited as to what you can do.
I tried installing kdnlive or whatever its called, no idea whats going on there?
i tried openshot and I tried all of these from source but it begins to get so convoluted because having to have py and gtk and this and that and goocanvas whatever the hell that is and all the dependencies and libraries still weeks later no usable video editing software, im beginning to lose all hope?

Should I perhaps consider a usb live version of a puppy so I can keep it completely separate from my desktop in case I stuff things up??? is there a puppy completely dedicated to video editing, dvd creation and webvideo upload, that sort of thing everything video basically? with a working version of Audacity too would be great? any pointers please??? desperate now????
Thank you in advance
kind Regards
michael
Smash forehead on keyboard to continue.....
well thats at least how some of us deal with ba$h !

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

If avidemux is not sophisticated enough for the job then I recommend windows.
By the way virtualdub works ok in wine if you disable direct x rendering.

Pburn problem?

mike

michaellowe

#3 Post by michaellowe »

I did have one afterthought on openshot installation

I got the ImportError: lib.... cannot find shared object bla bla bla
Could it be because I always install everything at /mnt/home
so the setup by default only looks in certain directories for the required files??
and not any further like at /mnt/home?
If this is what is causing the import failure could someone possibly advise as to what I could do to resolve this issue, eg. how to get the setup to point to the required files it is searching for during the installation process?

Many Thanks in Advance
Michael
Attachments
lib import error.jpg
(156.29 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
openshot import failure.jpg
(148.45 KiB) Downloaded 256 times

michaellowe

#4 Post by michaellowe »

mikeb wrote:If avidemux is not sophisticated enough for the job then I recommend windows.
By the way virtualdub works ok in wine if you disable direct x rendering.

Pburn problem?

mike
Ive never had a problem with Pburn as far as Iso format is concerned
Ive never used it for anything else yet to be honest but now that we have kids and years worth of video it would be nice to get it off the computer onto dvd so as to send it to my folks who live halfway across the globe? they are not very computer literate but can operate a dvd player fairly effciently(old habits die hard I guess) ;-)

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

Well indeed it could be looking in the normals paths for those libraries.... there may be a launcher script that locates them but not being used for some reason.

I assume they do exist somewhere.

I gave up because even when working it was unstable though may have improved now but that may also mean you have to change your system for it.
I just use a nice windows editor if I want fancy effects.

mike

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

I believe pburn uses ffmpeg to convert other formats to dvd as part of the burn process...never used it myself but if its for home movies it may do the job in hand

mike

ps confession..I have never burned a DVD

michaellowe

windows editors that work seamlessly under wine?

#7 Post by michaellowe »

mikeb wrote:Well indeed it could be looking in the normals paths for those libraries.... there may be a launcher script that locates them but not being used for some reason.

I assume they do exist somewhere.

I gave up because even when working it was unstable though may have improved now but that may also mean you have to change your system for it.
I just use a nice windows editor if I want fancy effects.

mike
Hi again Mike, I really appreciate your time, one more
question do you know of any of these windows editors that work well under wine as I have wine working brilliantly on my system?
Thanks again ;-)

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

Hmm not tried apart from virtualdub.

Wine Apps HQ might be helpful to see what does work.
I have ulead video studio from years ago...but might be something freeware out there.

Again I use avidemux for home movie handling and pburn might be able to make the dvd direct from the source material.

mike

666philb

#9 Post by 666philb »

lucid 5.2.5 has an old openshot in the PPM that i seem to remember worked... needs python, either in the devx or there's a lucid python pet in the repo
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

LazY Puppy

#10 Post by LazY Puppy »

Since LazY Puppy is based on Lucid, these may work for you as well?

LP2_KDEnLiVE-0.7.8.sfs
LP2_Openshot131.sfs
LP2_Python264.sfs - for Openshot
LP2_Blender263.sfs - for Openshot also, to create Titles and stuff!

LP2_DVDStyler-1.8.sfs

I've already used all of them several times successfully - except DVDStyler. I did never ever burn a DVD with that Program.

Many more SFS Modules here!
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

michaellowe

#11 Post by michaellowe »

thank you to everyone for all the suggestions I'm going to see if those lazy pup sfs files are any good? until then c ya ;-)

mikeslr

Alternatives regarding Lupu 5.25 video editing

#12 Post by mikeslr »

Hi,

I noticed that, while your current Pup is Lupu 5.25, in your desperation you've considered trying a different Pup. But in response to Lazy Puppy*'s suggestion that you try LazyPuppy's video editing and DVD burning SFSes, you only responded that you would.

If for some reason Lupu 5.25 can't handle them, of course, try LazyPuppy itself.

Following up on mikeb's suggestion to consider windows, might I add a variation:
Lupu 5.25 should be able to use wine-portable-1.6.2-2-p4. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91748. Once you've unpacked and registered it, the Windows version Shotcut can be installed. http://www.shotcut.org/bin/view/Shotcut/WebHome. The latest iteration is 150502. It is a full featured video editor. Wine-portable already includes the Shotcut's opengl requirement.
Winetricks is built into wine-portable-1.6.2-2-p4. Use http://wellminded.net63.net/ to find instructions on how to use winetricks should you need other xp programs having other requirements not builtin.
You should also be able to install DVDStyler-portable. http://portableapps.com/apps/music_vide ... r_portable. In fact, most portable XP-programs will run.
wine-portable-1.6.2-2-p4 can be used in any Pup to provide access to XP programs if your Pup doesn't have comparable Linux applications, or as alternatives to such native programs.

As your interest is in video editing, I'd also suggest you consider one of the Carolinas. Perhaps the most full featured free video editor, in Linux or XP, is flowblade. Battleshooter made SFSes which runs under Carolina. The latest is .016. If you want to keep Carolina light on your resources, it will run without the adrive (adrv_) included in the ISO.

Edit regarding DVD Creation application.

If your hardware can handle Carolina-Vanguard, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96863, you'll have at your disposal DVDStyler, Cinelerra Video Editor, and the previously mentioned flowblade. There's also an SFS for openshot which can run simultaneous with flowblade. And a little searching --sorry don't have the link right now-- will reveal a version of Avidemux which will do the same.

As mikeb has frequently suggested, avidemux is an excellent tool. Read up on how to use it. Its especially good for cutting and trimming: much easier to use for those operations than some of the more "full featured" video editors. The latter, however, are better for re-arranging/organizing clips. Avidemux can be run simultaneously with such others. The XP portable will run under wine.

mikesLr

* Note to Lazy Puppy: Granted that everyone has the right to choose his or her screen name. But I really preferred it when you were RSH. I find it confusing to discuss you and your creations. Of course, if I could download you that would be great. :) We could have some apple strudel and coffee and discuss the ills of the world and how to solve them.
Last edited by mikeslr on Wed 06 May 2015, 00:21, edited 1 time in total.

michaellowe

This is becoming a bit of a mike convention lol!

#13 Post by michaellowe »

Thanks for your suggetions mikesir
I shall give those a bash just as soon as we get more rain, it's the only reason I got to follow up on this in the first place. Although I really should do some real work,lol. Anyway the thanks again for all this let you know how I get on in due course. :-)

mikeslr

Revised prior post

#14 Post by mikeslr »

Just a note to indicate that I edited my prior post. I either didn't know or forgot that Carolina-Vanguard had DVDStyler.

I like the title of your last post. Regretfully, 01micko produced the Slacko Pups rather than some others. Had that been the case, we "mikes" could have restricted this thread "to mikes or by invitation only." :wink:

mikesLr

mikeb

#15 Post by mikeb »

My real name is Susan but i keep that one quiet....

michaellowe

mikeb real name Susan

#16 Post by michaellowe »

mikeb wrote:My real name is Susan but i keep that one quiet....
were you listening to bbc radio 4 last week by any chance?? Lol

mikeb

#17 Post by mikeb »

were you listening to bbc radio 4 last week by any chance?? Lol
Well apart from not having a radio or a TV, and blocking the bbc at the router then no :D

propaganda leaves a bad taste in the mouth :)

mike