Why is spot not in /home?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
mikeb

#41 Post by mikeb »

Well the usual advice is to remove the autologinroot from inittab.
That unfortunately leaves you at a console login and then exec xwin is needed.

If something like Slim was used at that point just to make it nice that would probably fulfil that need...Slim itself not so simple as it really need a proper linux boot structure to work ok and puppy xwin/jwm/rox is pretty unfriendly to that.

As for profile..I guess the 'choose yer savefile' at boot does that job.

I prefer thought for food...

mike

mikeb

#42 Post by mikeb »

hey smithy this looks like a neat approach :)

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=98825

sooo simple :)
I never new grub could do that...

mike

Smithy

#43 Post by Smithy »

Nice, interesting comment/ question from s243a :
"Being able to encrypt the drive is one thing but can we also somehow integrate this with a BIOS password so that other systems can't write to the drive without the password?"

Could be quite a scary prospect, the above, but would add quite a bit of protection as an option. Personally I would probably forget the password and have to get a new bios chip or something..

Don't use grub meself, but is there a way of adding it to the Idlinux.sys file, for people who use that bootloader?

Either way, a nice piece of script to add to Puppy :)

mikeb

#44 Post by mikeb »

Don't use grub meself, but is there a way of adding it to the Idlinux.sys file, for people who use that bootloader?
well not familiar myself but if grub had the option you never know :)

never tried encypting drives or saves myself...read too many posts from those who have and come unstuck...

But the boot login seems a nice way for those who don't have or believe they have the CIA outside their front door :D

mike

Smithy

#45 Post by Smithy »

Well I had a very nice couple from the Jehovahs at the door last weekend, does that count?

mikeb

#46 Post by mikeb »

Well I had a very nice couple from the Jehovahs at the door last weekend, does that count?
that seems to work in reverse..
they don't come any more as we know too much about them....

mike

Burn_IT

#47 Post by Burn_IT »

I had a couple walk away when I tried to convert them to Heinlein's "Thou art God"
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

dejan555

#48 Post by dejan555 »

mikeb, since you like to build your own pups you can easily move spot to /home and I don't think I need to explain you how :)

Puppy does have multiuser ability just like any other distro, but in the very begining of writing puppy scripts Barry made choice not to think about other users then root, and so many of those scripts place configuration files in the places where normal users can't access them etc... and that's why you can't launch X and many other apps when not running as root.

So now we have to rewrite scripts and fix things to get multiuser going... this wouldn't affect puppy size a lot at all so all the talk about puppy being compact for running as root only doesn't add up.

In dpup 486/487 I tried to implement multiuser - I think I didn't move spot, but any new users created have home dir in /home and I even sent modified files on woof-CE forum that would solve the root/user issue for the big part but it wasn't accepted (I didn't make changes through git though so maybe noone even bothered to test the tar I attached)
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

mikeb

#49 Post by mikeb »

Yes not major changes and thats not the problem...getting it accepted is.

I made 2.12 multiuser and later on 4.12... used slim for the login manager.

Other fun bunny though is that some of those /root only script would be root only anyway...eg setting up wifi.....so there is less to change plus gradually ~/ and $HOME has been adopted by scripts.

My question was really as read WHY is spot in /root...after all running as a user still requires configs to be in that folder whereever it is.

Part of a broader question of why does /root have to be so cluttered.

But then you could ask why is the menu so cluttered someone is writing a search for it.

Why are the icons soooo ugly....

Why is background cpu usage so high...

Why......

Sorry asking annoying questions is part of my solitary existance...

mike

dejan555

#50 Post by dejan555 »

Yeah , I don't know, it doesn't have any sense for one's home dir to be inside another user's home dir... let's make third user and set it's home dir inside spot's... we need to go DEEPER :lol:
All good questions, but that's just the way someone decided to be.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

mikeb

#51 Post by mikeb »

Yeah , I don't know, it doesn't have any sense for one's home dir to be inside another user's home dir... let's make third user and set it's home dir inside spot's... we need to go DEEPER Laughing
:D thanks for the chuckle ... I owe you one

mike

Smithy

#52 Post by Smithy »

Why why why why why why why oh why..
Eh, cpu usage? You got a mass mailer bot running in puppy, mike and a torrent hound :)

mikeb

#53 Post by mikeb »

Eh, cpu usage? You got a mass mailer bot running in puppy, mike and a torrent hound
well i was thinking of Tahr (and others) on a pentium 3 1GHz showing 10-20% cpu noise.
Those drive icons and whatever other scipts chugg along in the background.

I like idle to mean idle :)

mike

Smithy

#54 Post by Smithy »

Wish Android was like puppy, gawd knows what's going on in there, you stop things and they come right back up.
Still their slogan is " We want to know more about you than you know about yourself". Used to be "Do no evil or someit" lol.

According to the Top view running processes , says 95%-96% idle.
Not sure what the % VSZ column means but there are 9 things at 1%, 1 at 2%
and FF at 21%.

That's on Pemasu's dpup, with whatever kernel is in it.

mikeb

#55 Post by mikeb »

i like it when Htop is the one using the cpu :)

well not really a kernel issue unless its a buggy one.
pemasu probably did some nice script tweaking himself.

Now working out what weird permission thingy is preventing this ere network monitor from working...now thats a brain melter..it was working sooo well too.
Such things will cause a depressive slump which can only be resolved with food.

mike

Smithy

#56 Post by Smithy »

It's best...Just had some stilton, that is a bit of a mad cheese, but alright.

Maybe it's time for a Puppy food thread, we've had show us yer trolltechs, plenty of root stuff, maybe time for a way to a puppy users heart/ army marches on its,,type thing. Maybe not. Why, why why why why oh why :).

mikeb

#57 Post by mikeb »

Ok korma and chillies were the curious flavouring mixture tonight.... one is full with warm eyeballs..

That does not solve the technical issues but now I don't care :D

Yes a food thread... you'll be surprised how many funky recipies are hidden away in puppy users....and make a change from someone else's photographs.

Mike

Burn_IT

#58 Post by Burn_IT »

It's best...Just had some stilton, that is a bit of a mad cheese, but alright.
Blue or White?
The Village of Stilton is just down the road from me.

Smithy

#59 Post by Smithy »

Blue Stilton.
Last edited by Smithy on Thu 07 May 2015, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.

Burn_IT

#60 Post by Burn_IT »

I've just finished a pot of blue that was given to me for Xmas a couple of years ago and we had forgotten it in the back of the fridge.
It crawled out and gave itself up..........