I installed Pulseaudio, now what?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
mikeb

#21 Post by mikeb »

I tried your mod and for some odd reason it worked perfectly well for browser flash audio but I couldn't get DeadBeeF or Smplayer to produce sound. The alsa output plugin just wouldn't work - which is bizarre! Probably down to something I didn't do or change following creation of root/.asoundrc
did you try my plughw variation that I had to do?

I never got a slider either...one of those linux myths :D..indeed no sound at all testing that approach.

mike

terrapin231

#22 Post by terrapin231 »

@mikeb
Only just caught your post after sending mine, sorry. I'll give it a try and let you know but possibly not until tomorrow now. Thanks. All the best.
terrapin231

terrapin231

#23 Post by terrapin231 »

@mikeb

Sorry for delay. Yes, your "plughw" mod works for me 8) I tested and now have it set to 4.0
At first, I couldn't get DeaDbeeF to play, no matter what output plugin I suggested but as soon as I closed Firefox which I had opened to test on flash (which worked just fine) DeaDbeeF played fine using Alsa output plugin/Default Audio Device.

I'm still having a bit of trouble with Smplayer as mplayer crashes when trying to use the default alsa plugin,even when all else is closed. It works selecting alsa (0.0 - HDA Intel PCH) output driver but unless I'm imagining it, this doesn't appear to come under influence of .asoundrc as volume is much lower and I have to adjust settings in Smplayer to push to a decent level. I will give things a workout over the next few days and see if imagination or reality wins the day. I guess I should also check for anything similar using the pulseaudio mod.

Edit: First indications are that this is down to Smplayer software audio config as I've found that unchecking some of the player-specific options, like "Enable EQ" allows default alsa to work = no mplayer crash.

mikeb

#24 Post by mikeb »

Yes the general picture is it takes some experimentation to get everything working ok. Deadbeef did not get on so well after making vlc happy for example.
mplayer has its own softvol too so might complicate the picture.

Very useful thread and info for anyone with this problem which is pretty common as far as i can see.

If I understand correctly such asound configs could make several entries/outputs which could be used independently on a per app basis...though again its a bit of a black art.

Additional note... hw as apposed to plug(hw) tends to monopolise the sound card which causes one app to lock out others....indeed anything that uses hw including and apps own alsa config.

mike

Smithy

#25 Post by Smithy »

There's a test tone generator here:
http://www.audiocheck.net/audiofrequenc ... netone.php

You can't get higher than 0 DBFS :)