playflash (mediaplayer instead slow player in your browser)

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
ecomoney

#21 Post by ecomoney »

MU, a fantastic contribution. Its issues like this that really make a difference to your average computer user. Not only do you have the skills Mark you consistently apply them in the places theyre needed most! Flash is particularly troublesome and buggy on older computers essentially limits the lowest age at which a computer can become a useful to a family family.

Unfortunately, I also cannot get it working, but am happy to do an testing.

Using 4.3.1 standard, I installed the .pet from the first post. I reset X as per the instructions (ctrl-alt-backspace then xwin). When viewing youtube videos, gxine started (as well as the flash video on the youtube page), but the gxine after displaying "starting...) for a few seconds failed to play the video, with the play button subsequently becoming greyed out.

Keep up the good work mark, let me know if you need any more testing.

Rob
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

mikeb

#22 Post by mikeb »

Ecomoney you tube now obfusticate the codec requirements of flv movies directly from many downloads to prevent mediaplayers working.
If the flv is downloaded using something like cclive or similar it works...or you can get the mp4......perhaps this idea needs reapproaching to deal with this.
Also as mentioned flash 10 can stream to ram so that there is no file in tmp on some sites. certainly there have been code changes on you tube as I'm getting crashes that did not used to happen. :( .

How about a website that takes the you tube page and converts the code to present the video in a form suitable for media players using php or javascript

mike

ecomoney

#23 Post by ecomoney »

Cheers Mike

Lets hope youtube adopt open video standards soon and we can do away with flash altogether..doubt they will though as they have to tow the line to the music companies.

This is a similar project Yim has done to play movies using mplayer...I havnt tested it.

http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.p ... 78a#369655
How about a website that takes the you tube page and converts the code to present the video in a form suitable for media players using php or javascript
That would be www.kickyoutube.com. This is very elegant and simple, simply go to the address bar of the video you want to download and inster the word "kick" between the "http://www." and the "youtube.com/blah blah blah". Its does mp4 and mp3. Its something I show all my home clients.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

swiatmar

#24 Post by swiatmar »

I was wondering if there is a way to put some script that will automatically stop(break) playing the original flash video on the Internet page? I have to stop the original video every time and my laptop is very old. so it doesn't really respond right all the time when I try to stop the web page flash video....

technosaurus

#25 Post by technosaurus »

flashblock or noscript?
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

swiatmar

#26 Post by swiatmar »

This is not really what I am looking for:)
Sorry for my english :)
I will try again:
I am using flashblock anyway. But for example : If I go to youtube and let the flasblock play my video, than after 5 seconds playflash let gxine play this video. Okey-now I have to stop the original video on youtube page, because otherwise I have 2 videos playing, and for all double sound. So. I was looking for someting, that would stop playing automaticly the video on the youtube or other viewed page.
I think there is a way to do it with greasemonkey (write some small script), but I am using opera....

greengeek

#27 Post by greengeek »

Is it possible to make a static Firefox (3.x??) that runs an old version of flash (9.x??) so that I can use it on Slacko 5.6 to hold the flash file in /tmp like they used to in the old days?

I currently switch to an old version of puppy if I want to save flash files from /tmp (as Slacko 5.6 hides them somewhere else) but I would like to have the option of staying in Slacko 5.6 and running a different version of Firefox without worrying about it "infecting" or altering the usual Firefox (17.0.8 ESR) that is part of Slacko.

01micko

#28 Post by 01micko »

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 6.28-s.pet

That was compiled by me for thin slacko (you have that one). Should work OK. If you don't want to kill your current firefox, crack open the pet and move it to /opt/firefox (from /usr/lib/firefox) and adjust the scripts and icons accordingly.

Probably best to have one run as 'spot' so you don't corrupt the user profile. I have an old pet somewhere that does that, just do a search (actually it will run as any 'user' you want and link back to /mnt/home too).
Last edited by 01micko on Thu 07 May 2015, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

mikeb

#29 Post by mikeb »

If you put the plugin in firefox's own plugin folder rather than the shared mozilla you will probably find that works.

mike

mikeb

#30 Post by mikeb »

--no-remote will run a separate instance... and you can specify a profile too.

sneaky pre posts in there :D

mike

greengeek

#31 Post by greengeek »

Thanks guys - I look for help in a 5 year dead thread and in 10 minutes I've got help. Fantastic.

Ok, I have installed Namaroka, changed various scripts as required and renamed it as Fireflash in/opt/fireflash. I start it using:

Code: Select all

/opt/fireflash/fireflash
and it runs well. However, it obviously grabbed my existing profile (bookmarks etc) and also the pre-existing mozilla plugins.

Then I tried running it via run-as-spot

run-as-spot /opt/fireflash/fireflash
and this makes it ignore my profile but it is still finding my pre-existing version of Flash plugin. Do you think it would ignore that original version if I simply added the Flash 9 version into the /usr/lib/fireflash/plugins directory or do I need to first make some other change to force Namaroka to ignore the mozilla plugins (and maybe the profile too if you think run-as-spot is not the correct way)?
mikeb wrote:--no-remote will run a separate instance
I gave this a go and it starts/runs ok but I'm unsure what effect I should be seeing...
and you can specify a profile too
Any tips on how to do this? Do I need to build (borrow/steal) a profile temporarily from somewhere else or is it good enough to specify the intended location of the profile and let it build its own? (--profile /opt/fireflash/.profile??)

I'm doing this on a Slacko derivative that has no persistence so I don't have to worry about killing any of my pre-existing profile etc as it is only in ram anyway - but I just want to know the 'official' way to get this right so that if I make a pet of the modified Firefox i dont want it to kill anyone elses profile if they try it elsewhere.

OscarTalks

#32 Post by OscarTalks »

Specify the profile location by adding:-
-profile /path/to/firefox3/profiledir
after the exec command.

You can also add a different HOME for it because some data files (mostly hidden stuff) are also created and stored there (other than the stuff in the profile).

eg:-

#!/bin/sh
HOME=/mnt/home/firefox3/firefox3home
/mnt/home/firefox3/firefox/firefox -profile /mnt/home/firefox3/firefox3profile "$@"
Oscar in England

mikeb

#33 Post by mikeb »

Old topics never die...well half the posts on here are for the same stuff anyway :D

You are sort of answering your own questions :)

go for it.

It may be the shared mozilla plugin still overrides so you may have to move that to the other browser as well...suck it and see.

The no remote means if you are already running one firefox then you can run a fresh instance without interference... I use it to run firefox with a separate profile over ssh without disturbing the source machines user of firefox....ie links don't open up in her browser for example and no messages saying already running. It may not be needed for your intended use.

mike

greengeek

#34 Post by greengeek »

Hmmm, I think I am setting this up correctly but no matter what libflashplayer.so version I use I never see a Flashxxxx appear in /tmp. I think the Namaroka Firefox i am using must be using newer libs than the older firefoxes that i used to use which did let me see the flashxxxx in /tmp

I will have to come back to his when i have confirmed which combos of libflashplayer and firefox work together to give this function (maybe it's not even possible on Slacko - I think I used to use Lucid and also one of the Puppy 4's to achieve this).

mikeb

#35 Post by mikeb »

Ah one factor....I always have cache set to 0MB as I don't use dial up...this may have an effect on where the flash video gets downloaded to...ie cache in bits or /tmp.

10.0.15 flash works for me...10.3 does not...not sure when the cut off occured.

Mike

OscarTalks

#36 Post by OscarTalks »

What was the reason for wanting to use an older browser for this? They do have certain advantages sometimes but I find that Firefox 3 does not always render websites properly nowadays.

Also I am finding that the browser (older or newer) does not cope well with having 2 libflashplayer.so files. I was hoping the add-ons manager might allow you to disable one and enable the other but the setting seems to jump across to the other one.

If the main objective is to be able to grab the Flashxxx video files from /tmp I have it working here using the latest SeaMonkey which I run manually installed under /mnt/home with the profile and home data there also so everything (except launcher script and .desktop file etc) is outside my savefile.

I downloaded the flashplayer-10.0.42.34 from the pet-packages-common repo and placed the libflashplayer.so file in a directory. then I set up 2 simple scripts (which I named flashplayer-old and flashplayer-restore) to switch the libflashplayer.so file in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins between this older flashplayer and my default one. In fact I normally use the last ever 10.3.183.90 as my default one. The browsers never seem to complain about this one being outdated for some strange reason, but unlike the 10.0 the 10.3 does not place the Flashxxxx file in /tmp

Running the 10.0.42.34 the browser does report this as outdated in the add-ons manager and will not let me "Always" load the FlashPlayer. I can only do it as "Ask Every Time" but it is all working. Obviously you have to copy the Flashxxx video file out of /tmp before closing the browser tab or window otherwise it goes away.
Oscar in England

mikeb

#37 Post by mikeb »

The older browser might be less annoying when it comes to plugin blocking perhaps... I use the older flash in newer seamonkey and do the usual to disable all that blocking crap anyway.

mike

greengeek

#38 Post by greengeek »

OscarTalks wrote:If the main objective is to be able to grab the Flashxxx video files from /tmp I have it working here using the latest SeaMonkey which I run manually installed under /mnt/home with the profile and home data there also so everything (except launcher script and .desktop file etc) is outside my savefile.
Yes, that is exactly my aim. I wanted to retain the existing browser/flashplayer combo for most purposes (especially as i have it already running a good youtube downloader plugin), but also add a browser/flashplayer combo that was capable of storing the Flashxxxx in /tmp so I could grab flash from non-YT sites.

I had really only thought about using Firefox and Flash 9 as I thought that was what Mike once said he was still using, so I figured it would be an easy graft-in. However, there is really no reason why I couldnt copy what you have done with Seamonkey if that makes the process easier. The only thing is I do not have a /mnt/home directory so I will have to think about the best way to do this. I do not run a savefile (and use a personalised sfs instead). I'm not sure yet whether I would most prefer to add this into my main sfs (probably will) or else my personal sfs (as not all users would want this in the main puppy sfs). I should try both methods.

mikeb

#39 Post by mikeb »

By th eway many non you tube sites I have found give you the mp4 download if flash is disabled.... especially JW player ones.

Mike

was flash 10.0.15 I have tended to use for the /tmp trick

greengeek

#40 Post by greengeek »

OK, based on the idea that recent Seamonkey still allows the older libflashplayer to save to /tmp I did some further experimentation and discovered something which explains much of my previous confusion:

- If I rename the original libflashplayer.so as libflashplayerOLD.so and replace it with the older version of libflashplayer.so my browser still grabs the original flashplayer, rather than the one I want it to use.

- However, if I rename the original libflashplayer.so as libflashplayer.soOLD and replace it with the older version of libflashplayer.so everything works as i wanted it to.

So my mistake has been to think that changing the name of the original libflashplayer was sufficient to hide it. This is not the case - I have to move it out of the directory entirely, or else mask the suffix.

Traps for young players as they say...

This opens the way for me to do as you were suggesting Oscar and use a script to choose which version of flashplayer I want to put in the plugins directory. I have knocked up a basic one and it works perfectly with the browser that is currently inbuilt in Slacko so I don't need to change that.

i will post back with a pet.

thanks for the help!