Configuring Xorg for CRT-monitors

Booting, installing, newbie
Ganymedes

Configuring Xorg for CRT-monitors

#1 Post by Ganymedes »

I am trying to create a Linux Puppy 2.11 CD that would suit many different PCs. I mean that it would boot up properly without changing/saving the configuration.

The problems that I have found so far are the CRT-monitors. Laptops and LCD-panels (and VMware computers) seem to work just fine with a single CD when using Xvesa. But the CRTs are not OK, because the refresh rate is 60 Hz.

I can create a CD for the CRT-monitor by doing:
- starting from my remastered Puppy CD
- running Xorg and then starting with "xwin" command
- doing shutdown and then saving to CD while doing that

That gives the problem that I would need to physically do this on each system and have a CD-burner on those, too.

I tried to solve this by:
- booting from a remastered CD on the CRT-system in question
- running Xorgconfig and starting the system
- copying the file "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" from that system (with the newly created configuration)

- booting and using Xorg on my standard system (with a LCD-panel)
- remastering CD in there but substituting its "xorg.conf" with the file that I got from the CRT-system

- and then booting up from the remastered CD the system with the CRT-monitor

Well, it does not work. It complains something about "kbconfig" - I think something to do with the keyboard. It just scrolls that error message and stays there during the boot up.

Does anybody know what is wrong with that ? What should I do to make this work ... it seems that this is not that easy as I thought it might?

Well, I do have different graphics adapters in those two systems (3Dlabs-Glint-drivers gets selected and ATI), which might be problems in other cases, too.

Anyhow, I CAN boot the CRT-system quite nicely by using the CD that I am creating on my "standard system" with the LCD-panel. But the only problem really is that 60 Hz looks quite bad on a 20" CRT-monitor.

Or maybe this actually cannot be solved without creating a dedicated CD for every graphics adapter/CRT-monitor combination when using Xorg?

Ganymedes

#2 Post by Ganymedes »

I have included below two examples from my Xorg configuration in terms of adapter/monitor conf. Resolution is 1024x768 (x 16, color depth) in both cases. Comment lines have been deleted from below.

The question in this is that is it realistic that with different graphics adapters and different CRT-monitor characteristics (from 14" to 19") and while using Xorg, you could create a CD, which would boot up correctly without any configuration by the user ?

Or should I assume that I need to create a specific Xorg-configured CD for every graphics adapter - CRT-monitor combination ?

Any comments and links to explanations about this is appreciated. I do not really know how this works with Xorg.

(These are from the file "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" as seen after running "xorgwizard". I do not know if there are other files associated with the config as well? There seems to be, because my manual manipulations of the file have failed so far.)

Panasonic 15" with 3Dlabs Oxygen graphics adapter

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
ModelName "Monitor Model"
HorizSync 31.5-48.5
VertRefresh 56-72
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "glint" #card0driver
VendorName "3DLabs"
BoardName "GLINT R3 [Oxygen VX1]"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Sony 20" with ATI Radeon graphics adapter

Section "Monitor"
#DisplaySize 400 300 # mm
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "SNY"
ModelName "CPD-E500E"
Option "DPMS"
HorizSync 30.0 - 109.0
VertRefresh 48.0 - 160.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "ati" #card0driver
VendorName "ATI Technologies Inc"
BoardName "RV350 AP [Radeon 9600]"
BusID "PCI:2:0:0"
EndSection

Both systems work fine if I boot them by using a Xvesa configured CD (but the refresh rate is only 60 Hz).

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Read the Developer News for today/yesterday:
http://www.puppyos.net/news

Ganymedes

#4 Post by Ganymedes »

Thank you very much. It seems that my problem is about to be solved in Puppy 2.13.