Install Virtualbox Guest Additions in Precise Puppy 5.4

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
shadower_sc

Install Virtualbox Guest Additions in Precise Puppy 5.4

#1 Post by shadower_sc »

I use Virtualbox in Windows to test Puppy and create my Kiosk Setup CD. At least in Precise Puppy 5.4 I was unable to get xorgwizard to work. I always had to default to vesa. That is not acceptable as I can not disable the Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and Ctrl+Alt+Fn key combos when using vesa.

Use Precise Puppy 5.4.2 as it includes improvements on the Puppy Package Manager.
(Puppy Package Manager Updates take a fraction of the time now.)

The simple solution was to do a search in the Puppy Package Manager for "guest additions" and search all of the repositories. One of the Ubuntu repositories contains the VirtualBox Guest Additions package.

Install the Virtualbox Guest Additions via the Puppy Package Manager
Step #1 Open the Puppy Package Manager. Menu->Setup->Puppy Package Manager
Step #2 Click on the Find box and search for "guest additions". It will ask you, if you want to search in the currently selected repository or all of the repositories. Select Search to search All of the Repositories.
Step #3 Click on one of the "virtualbox-guest-additions" entries.
Step #4 Click Examine Dependencies (This will select the other entry as well, because they are dependencies of each other.)
Step #5 Click Download-and-install Selected Packages.
Step #6 Choose your server to download from. I left it as the default.
You should now have the package installed, but you are not done yet.

Actually Install the Virtualbox Guest Additions
Step #1 Open the ROX-Filer File Manager.
Step #2 Click the Up Arrow once and you should be at the / "root" of the filesystem.
Step #3 Navigate to the virtualbox folder with the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso file. /usr/share/virtualbox/
Step #4 Mount the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso file by clicking on it.
Step #5 Click on the "VBoxLinuxAdditions.run" file in the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso file that you mounted.

Run the Xorg Wizard
Step #1 Open the Xorg Video Wizard. Menu->Setup->Xorg Video Wizard
Step #2 Start the Xorg Wizard by clicking on the wand icon in the Xorg Wizard box.

You should now be able to click probe and successfully select the correct resolution for your monitor.
Last edited by shadower_sc on Mon 14 Jul 2014, 18:02, edited 2 times in total.

jimla

#2 Post by jimla »

Thank you so much for your Virtualbox Guest Additions HOWTO. It worked perfectly. I am enjoying running Precise Puppy in Virtualbox on my Macbook with access to the Ubuntu software repositories.

shadower_sc

Glad it worked.

#3 Post by shadower_sc »

Glad it worked and I didn't have any typos or steps missing. hehe. ;-)

johnywhy

#4 Post by johnywhy »

any tips on installing for slacko? i cannot find guest additions in the package manager.

i was able to run the iso script, but i got a couple "fails".
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

Pelo

Virtualbox under Puppy linux ?

#5 Post by Pelo »

Virtualbox under Puppy linux ? that means to will be able to watch other Puppies running ? I will try it at my next free minutes for computing.
I study the subject. Bookmarked. Untill now i have a glance on my Puppies under Windows 7 which is still alive and helpfull beside my linux partition.
tutorial

I Make a copy of this topic to postit in 'forum francophone', some of my colleagues are interested but not speaking english, I translate it.

shadower_sc

RE: Virtualbox Guest Additions

#6 Post by shadower_sc »

johnywhy wrote:any tips on installing for slacko? i cannot find guest additions in the package manager.
A much better solution would be to go to the Virtualbox website and download the correct version of the guest additions cd according to whatever version of Virtualbox you have installed.

Step #1 Check Virtualbox version. Open the Help Menu and click "About Virtualbox ..." and your Virtualbox Version will be shown at the bottom of the pop-up box.

Step #2 Open the following link http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/

Step #3 Click on the link that matches your version of virtualbox.
(I have the version 4.3.12 of Virtualbox, so I would click on the "4.3.12" link/folder.)

Step #4 Click on the VboxGuestAdditions xyz.iso where xyz matches your version of Virtualbox.
(In my case the file was called "VBoxGuestAdditions_4.3.12.iso")

Van78

#7 Post by Van78 »

Sorry

but I can not follow since in VirtualBox after loading the live ISO I have problems using my mouse. It seems resolution related. I can only use the mouse over half of the screen then is stops moving as if I hit the boundary.

Even if I set up via keyboard to use VESA or Xorg in 800x600 it is the same.

What can I do so I can properly navigate through puppy loaded in VirtualBox in order to install the guest additions?

thank you

PS:
I need only a small ram and hdd footprint Linux with GUi and then Chrome browser...

Thanks alot.

Pelo

Virtualbox under Windows or Linux

#8 Post by Pelo »

Virtualbox under Windows or Linux, please precise.
I use Virtualbox under Windows only for testing my ISOS (in vesa mode when needed ix Xorg not ok).
Install Virtualbox Guest Additions in Precise Puppy 5.4 ?
means install in Windows Virtualbox the Guest Additions for Precise Puppy 5.4 ?
About the mouse problems, verify the size of the allocated memory to Virtual box, i had the same ennoying problem before.

shadower_sc

VirtualBox Navigation / Mouse issues with Windows Host

#9 Post by shadower_sc »

Van78 wrote: ... What can I do so I can properly navigate through puppy loaded in VirtualBox in order to install the guest additions? ...
I had to disable mouse integration for the mouse to work correctly. Either that or run VirtualBox in Fullscreen mode. For some reason it doesn't like sharing the mouse.

shadower_sc

Re: Virtualbox under Windows or Linux

#10 Post by shadower_sc »

Pelo wrote:Virtualbox under Windows or Linux, please precise.
I modified the first sentence of the first post to be more precise. I use Virtualbox in Windows to work on Puppy Linux.

unL33T

#11 Post by unL33T »

I have the same mouse problem on the latest version of VirtualBox on both Windows and Fedora 21 running Puppy Tehrpup 6.0.2.

Also, I was able to select whatever resolution right out of the box but the Virtualbox .run file from the ISO that was installed from the PPM gave me an error that says "Unable to determine correct library path."

Disabling mouse integration worked although I can't find the option to keep it disabled so every time I start the VM I have to disable it or the mouse does crazy stuff.

I had the same problem in Microsoft Hyper-V (although Hyper-V won't let you disable mouse integration, it's a garbage system I don't recommend it). Changing the mouse acceleration settings helped a bit but not 100%.

unL33T

#12 Post by unL33T »

A work around I found for the mouse was to disable acceleration by setting the threshold to the highest value. This seems to have made it match up and works quite well now in VirtualBox (doesn't work in Hyper-V but I can't even get an HDD install of Puppy to boot in Hyper-V and even booting the live CD stalls at booting the kernel half the time). I didn't see a setting in Puppy to disable mouse acceleration but that would likely also fix it, if anyone knows how.