Puppy graphic at lucid puppy boot screen?

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
haywirepc

Puppy graphic at lucid puppy boot screen?

#1 Post by haywirepc »

I'm working on a repsin project of lucid puppy. Can someone tell me the name and location of the graphic puppy pic that comes up at boot?

Can this be changed?

Thanks!

Steven

Moose On The Loose

Re: Puppy graphic at lucid puppy boot screen?

#2 Post by Moose On The Loose »

haywirepc wrote:I'm working on a repsin project of lucid puppy. Can someone tell me the name and location of the graphic puppy pic that comes up at boot?

Can this be changed?

Thanks!

Steven

I think the file is called "logo" it can be changed if you really want.
It is on the CD in the clear because it has to be found at boot. It can't be inside an SFS because tools for reading the SFS are not ready to go at that point.

I have 2 things you may want:

I have a partly completed improved version of pmount I can share if you are willing to finish it. What it does is unmount things mounted via a loopback so that the drive you asked to be unmounted can be unmounted. It avoids the error that says something is using the drive.

I have a more compact version of psync that is great for small screens and also adds a few features.

If you are interested they can be yours.

mikeslr

Just want to clarify what you are trying to do

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Hi haywirepc,

I Just want to clarify what you are trying to do, and provide some information if the term you used created confusion.

You posted "Can someone tell me the name and location of the graphic puppy pic that comes up at boot?"

It's been a long time since I booted Lucid or any other Puppy from a CD. I always unpack the ISO onto a USB-Key or hard-drive partition. Consequently, I don't recall whether there might be some graphic between the one which appears (a) when the CD is recognized and a choice of boot options is given, and (b) the Wallpaper which appears after Puppy has booted to desktop.

The graphic mentioned in (a) above is usually referred to as the "splash image" or "splash screen". If you run a "well-minded search", http://wellminded.net63.net/ on these terms, you'll find instructions on how to create and use your own images. Those instructions can be followed for creating a splash.xpm to use as the argument in menu.lst

splashimage=/splash.xpm

even if you use Grub4dos to boot from a hard-drive or USB-Key.

Splash.xpm is located at the root of the CD/DVD, Hard or USB-Drive; at the same location as Menu.lst.

And, of course, you probably know that the image which appears once Puppy boots up is sometimes referred to as "background" and other times referred to as "wallpaper". Those images are usually stored at /usr/share/backgrounds. You can set Lucid's Wallpaper from commands found on the Desktop submenu, or by first opening a Rox-window to /usr/share/backgrounds, then right-clicking one of the desktop drive icons, selecting "backdrop" and dragging the desired image to the dialog box which opened.

I have no knowledge regarding any image between those referred to in (a) and (b) above. If there are such, hopefully someone else can provide guidance.

mikesLr

haywirepc

Lucid puppy boot logo

#4 Post by haywirepc »

Thanks for the help guys sorry this seems simple enough but its been on my todo list for ages. I'll seach the puppy linux boot cd for a file called logo then. If anyone knows its actual location on the disc or what folder its in that would be helpful. I'm not entirely sure how to do this but I think if I knew the file name/location I could create a bootable disc with my own modded file of the same name/image type.

I'm working on a project where people would use the puppy linux boot cd as a base then use my custom made sfs file. I'd like to add our project logo or create some other graphic shown when the puppy linux cd first boots.

Basically via a website I'll be sharing my own desktop I've developed in the last few years, which includes alot more software, some games, development tools, lots of audio/video apps and a tweaked out xfce gui.

on the site, I plan to give a link to an iso I use as base, and also the sfs file, which for regular folks (non geeks) I'm describing as an "expansion file".

I'd also like to give out some usb drives with the expansion file and a business card sized puppy linux boot so people I know can rescue old computers and put them back into use.

Honestly, I've had this idea for ages and before moving on to 64 bit, I'd like to share this... I've done great creative works with this base system, from audio recordings to video recordings to writing projects, to graphics projects, and much more.

I may also just create a usb disk image file, which is 64gigs so people can get a 64 gig usb thumbdrive and create their own system. Right now, the system is around 24 gigs, because it includes many windows, dos, and even amiga free applications, besides the usual linux stuff.

The idea I've had which I've used myself is to put the base system on a thumbdrive so the system is kind of portable and host independant.
Attachments
screen2.png
(123.46 KiB) Downloaded 354 times

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

Some info you need to know about.
http://puppylinux.com/legal.htm
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

haywirepc

#6 Post by haywirepc »

Thanks I full intend to comply with this, but its nice to print this out so I am fully informed.

mikeslr

Are you looking for logo.16 ?

#7 Post by mikeslr »

Hi haywirepc,

When mount a downloaded lucid's ISO --and probably any other Puppy ISO-- you should see a file named logo.16.

If this is the file your interested in, than thanks to nilsonmorales, this is the "How to Customize" it:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 990790f971

mikesLr