How to use Netgear WG311v3 in Slacko 5.7?

puppylinux101

How to use Netgear WG311v3 in Slacko 5.7?

#1 Post by puppylinux101 »

How do you set up Netgear Wg311v3 while running Slacko 5.7?

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

I had one of those. I threw it out. You should discard yours if you have any alternative whatsoever -- it is nasty slow to connect to any network and once connected it heats up inside to the point that it doesn't really function anyways.

EDIT: oh, sorry, I was thinking of the WG111v3 -- a somewhat different creature. Mine was a USB stick and it was (as described) truly horrible.

*ahem*

Netgear used a Marvell chipset with the WG311v3. There is no operational Linux driver. The one driver that does exist is known to be nonfunctional. See here --> https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_WG311v3

Sorry dude, time to find another card. Avoid Netgear if you can, they're terrible. If you can get one, the Rosewill RNX-N150UBE is amazing. It's USB2 but it's got an external antenna... if you get it retail, throw out the shrinkydink peewee antenna that they package with it (it's crap) and put on something decently sized... like the one from your Netgear card ;)

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

Did you see the first sentence under "Using ndiswrapper"?

That's what you will have to use. Start the Network Wizard (aka Dougal's Network Wizard). Don't use Simple Network Setup (SNS) or Frisbee here. At some point in the wizard you'll see the interfaces you have available, and you should also see a button labeled "Windows" next to another button labeled "Load Modules". You want the "Windows" button. You need the *.inf file from the Windows driver package...

I can't really help past "click that button" because I haven't ever needed it. But, then, I have the good sense to stay the **** away from Netgear!

wboz

#5 Post by wboz »

Netgear routers are great ... at least mine has been.

Cannot speak to their wifi dongles. Learned my lesson last year, now avoid Broadcom chips wherever possible.

starhawk

#6 Post by starhawk »

I had a very much useless Netgear router once. Waste of money. It went back to the store.

Belkin on the other hand has never given me trouble.

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

Same netgear router for 7 years run 24/7 ... nice with handy features.

I blame the solder which precludes buying anything new....but then I don't have the money anyway :D

Vista is still crap though :D

broadcom...ah the devils curse.... used by all evil companies like HP to make your Linux life hell. ;)

mike