Puppy Reviewed in Linux Format Magazine

News, happenings
BlackAdder

Puppy Reviewed in Linux Format Magazine

#1 Post by BlackAdder »

Linux Format (a U.K. mag.), July 2005 edition has a review of six small Linux distros:
  • Damn Small Linux (DSL)
    ZipSlack
    INSERT
    Puppy Linux
    Feather Linux
    muLinux
Puppy comes second in the review to DSL. By a small margin according to the reviewer.

All the distros are on an accompanying CD. Puppy 1.0.1 is on the CD, but it is not clear which version the reviewer was writing about.

I have tried both DSL and Feather and think that Puppy is WAY better, but then I may be biased.

I guess that the publicity won't do Puppy any harm.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

I bought the May edition yesterday, as it has Slackware 10.1 on the DVD
-- it states "Full release", but in fact is less than the official 4 CDs, it looks like about 2 and a half CDs worth.
It takes awhile before arrives in the shops here in Australia.

It's a good mag.

klhrevolutionist

Congratulations

#3 Post by klhrevolutionist »

I know for a fact puppy is way better
DSL is to complicated for the newcomer
And it has glitches in it's system terrible glitches
So congratulations BK

Freedom

Re: Puppy Reviewed in Linux Format Magazine

#4 Post by Freedom »

BlackAdder wrote:Linux Format (a U.K. mag.), July 2005 edition has a review of six small Linux distros:
  • Damn Small Linux (DSL)
    ZipSlack
    INSERT
    Puppy Linux
    Feather Linux
    muLinux
Puppy comes second in the review to DSL. By a small margin according to the reviewer.

All the distros are on an accompanying CD. Puppy 1.0.1 is on the CD, but it is not clear which version the reviewer was writing about.

I have tried both DSL and Feather and think that Puppy is WAY better, but then I may be biased.

No, your right. Puppy is better than the others.
I guess that the publicity won't do Puppy any harm.
www.gnu.org
www.PCCleanUp.US

raffy

New category

#5 Post by raffy »

A new category of Linux distros might be in order for Puppy, such as "memory resident Linux suite". I say, if this feature is fully exploited, Puppy could be loaded via network by thin clients. Some thin clients with embedded software that automatically looks for Puppy dotpups might be appropriate. And Barry and the thin client manufacturer can just grab a patent for that :idea:
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

I was quite intrigued by Mulinux

(these are other small Linux from the MuLinux page)
http://mulinux.sunsite.dk/tiny.html

The latest DSL is more pleasant by default. It has a good range of add on packages. It has better hardware recognition and will run on older machines. I think Rhino is one of our regulars who prefers it to Puppy ;)

After the "oh wow" factor, you have to actually use the OS.
My experience is that a good distro not only "just works" but has to do a little more than "just about works"

I use Puppy all the time, have for several months. I have put DSL on a keydrive (ages ago) and always find it less stable than Puppy (which is strange as it is based on Knoppix which is rock solid)

Who has used DSL extensively? What say you? 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

klhrevolutionist

that's what I said 2

#7 Post by klhrevolutionist »

went to alink off of distrowatch, a puppy review, I'm just know reading
and here is what the peeps wrote, and I mentioned this in another post somewhere,

"This is the point where Puppy Linux loses points as far as I
Last edited by klhrevolutionist on Thu 04 Aug 2005, 01:08, edited 1 time in total.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

Jesse

#8 Post by Jesse »

Hi klhrevolutionist,

Thats an interesting point you mention. Perhaps this should be a little more obvious to people new to Puppy, i.e. reviewers.

Most Distros, including linux, windows, mac osx, i.e. just about everything, are "shipped" as a stand alone OS, where to update it, you add in a new application off a CD or download, apply a service pack... new applications are integrated into the OS, you don't expect to "uninstall" the os, before installing the next or updated version of it.
But Puppy is different, in that the whole OS is small enough to be entirely replaced for an "upgrade" or for a new application, and you get to keep all your documents and files through the upgrade because they are stored on your pup001 file (usb disk, hard disk, etc...). But also Puppy has package system for those "must have apps" that only some people want :)

Jesse

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

A Developer friend of mine used to install Windows every month. Clears the gunk.

I must admit that I do the same with Puppy. The first thing I do (lately) is use Mut to mount the hard disk and copy My-documents to the HD. I also export my bookmarks from Mozilla and save that.

Then I rename pup001 to PupAug4_2005 (that is a backup)

Unmount the HD and turn the machine off (if you unlog a pup001 is created I believe)

Then I reboot and set Puppy up in about 5 minutes.

It works well for me. Like Barry I boot from CD - putting Puppy on HD has no advantage. The HD boots into Ubuntu which I use for grabbing pics from my digital camera. I prefer using Puppy from CD (and memory) than Ubuntu which is polished and easy to use.

Some people use multiple Linux on partitions. I am a one distro per hard drive kinda guy. Really because whatever has been said I find that the most stable and reliable.

And reliable is good.

Just my experiences ;)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

klhrevolutionist

excuse me

#10 Post by klhrevolutionist »

I have to reply it seems my post was twisted, I meant no harm people!
I use puppy on my hard drive I am a one distro per hard drive guy
I use nothing other than puppy! Now with the everyone being able to compile on puppy I see things getting hmm let's say hectic! Unless, and I am still new to Linux, unless Barry is able to cram everything into puppy as he has always done. A very good job of it if I may say so! Alsa is coming into picture
components are starting to weigh in now anyone can put anything they want on puppy!

NOW here comes the part I'm concerned or would like to see and forgive me I know these things cost money, unless your rich. So here goes and listen up DEVELOPERS. If we were able to write a simple script to be able to download all the updates say from ibiblio or the other place lugs or something
this script would download all the updates and remove the old antiques.
That being said this does sound feaseable in some way! I'm not sure.
But it does sound possible am I right ???

Now I am catching onto running from cd, I'm thinking I would have a filesytem on it, and I would have to pop the cd in everyday
would this create a pup001 file everyday I booted???
hmm posting and catching onto things is difficult!!
So I could save let's say java to the hd would puppy recognize this???
I think I am catching on sorry about getting off topic, I don't see the advantage yet though, hmmm something to think aboot, maybe!!!
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

Walt H

Re: excuse me

#11 Post by Walt H »

klhrevolutionist wrote:Now I am catching onto running from cd, I'm thinking I would have a filesytem on it, and I would have to pop the cd in everyday
would this create a pup001 file everyday I booted???
hmm posting and catching onto things is difficult!!
So I could save let's say java to the hd would puppy recognize this???
I think I am catching on sorry about getting off topic, I don't see the advantage yet though, hmmm something to think aboot, maybe!!!
It would only create a pup001 file the first time you booted from CD and only if you wanted it to (although I don't know/remember the option if you don't want the file created). Once the file is created, any changes/additions you make are pretty much remembered. (There are a few? exceptions, I think.) Some more experienced users actually download and install applications that work in Puppy (non-pupgets though, am I correct here?) elsewhere on their hard drives and create symlinks in the directories where Puppy would expect to find those applications. Those who have done this can explain better than I.

For me, I have to remember to put the CD back in the machine before I power down for the night or my computer will boot into Xandros before I have a chance to reinsert Puppy. As a result, I end up usually leaving the CD in the drive unless I plan to watch a DVD or listen to a CD. Because of that, I do see (for me) an advantage to installing Puppy onto the hard drive, something I intend to do once 1.0.5 comes out, assuming all is well. Then I shall have the best of both worlds: Puppy on hard drive and Puppy on CD. 8)
Walt

Now that you point it out to me, the answer seems painfully obvious.