Geany as Launcher, Bookmarks Manager, and Word Processor

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Puppus Dogfellow

Geany as Launcher, Bookmarks Manager, and Word Processor

#1 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

/word process.

adapted from here.

this is the thread formerly known as Geany as Launcher and Bookmarks Manager
open programs, files, folders and web sites; reshape and resize windows from within a text document

update, 8/13: teaming up with browsers to provide word processing capabilities. (includes newer way (though i still prefer alt+z) of launching the vtg (launcher can run vtg without necessitating any window manager fiddling; it can be made a keycut with rox right click, jwm file editing, or a tool like xbindkeys. personally, i like

Code: Select all

<Key mask="S" key="space">exec:/nwp/p</Key>
added to /root.jwm/jwmrc-personal for the launcher and

<Key mask="A" key="z">exec:xdotool key alt+1 Down Return</Key>
for the vtg--it's activating a menu entry on the root one menu. convoluted, but it doesn't seem to work as a key in jwm any other way; tray button is okay with almost any method of activation.

requiresxdotool-2.20110530.1-3.pet
64 bit version: xdotool-2.20110530.1-3.1.2.x86_64.rpm

the following guide assumes jwm. you can use rox panels or alter the menu code for other windows managers if you don't have it/prefer not to use it. if you can get geany's macro function to work correctly then you're a step ahead of the set up and don't need anything other than geany itself to use the tweak the following script automates. just record the steps as a macro (tools menu). you'll have a shortcut key that's at least as convenient as any other, but you don't get the tray button or menu item without some window manager adjustments of one sort or another.

with a few adjustments, you can launch anything from within any geany document as if it were itself a menu or a terminal. below is a screenshot of partview being opened by clicking on the VTG button i added to a top middle hideaway tray. place the cursor and the line gets sent to the terminal, focus is switched to the terminal, the line is entered, and then focus is returned/the program, script, folder etc is run, launched, opened.

you'll need the following script and some tweaking of the geany menu.

#!/bin/sh
# name vtg and place in /root/my-applications/bin
# requires xdotool and a few menu adjustments 
#geany as launcher and bookmarks manager
#open programs, files and web sites; reshape and resize windows from within a text document.
xdotool key ctrl+9 ctrl+8 Return ctrl+7

#for jwm root menu(s): <Program label="Geany VTE Line Launch" icon="">vtg</Program>
 #or <Program label="VTG"">vtg</Program> .   for a tray button you could use   <TrayButton popup="geanylauncher" label="VTG">exec:vtg</TrayButton> . add an icon (icon="path/to/icon.jpg.or.whatever") for it if you like. add to /root/jwmrc-tray or any other

at this point, this xdotool script is pointing to shortcuts in geany which do not yet exist. to make them,

edit > preferences > keybindings (or help > keyboard shortcuts > edit)

step 1: send selection (or line--just place the cursor; you don't need to highlight anything) to terminal:
ctrl+9 (this one is already built in as F4--you can set the shortcuts to whatever you like--just keep the order the same as in the script above)

step 2: switch focus to terminal:
ctrl+8

step 3: enter command obtained in step 1
Return

step 4: return focus to page/close message window and terminal so that you're back to the original page as it was before you launched the script. you'll need to alter this if you want to keep the terminal open or otherwise change the interface:
ctrl+7

you'll need to find the slots for the above commands and set the shortcut keys (the pop up will call ctrl primary), optionally leaving F4 and changing the ctrl+9 in the script above to match.

the following line of code launched with VTG will make a text file of all the files and their paths in /root/my-applications/bin (swap out the blue for the location of your choice) and then open it (named on the fly--choose whatever you like for the location and name in red) in geany:

find $PWD /root/my-applications/bin > /root/myapbin1; geany /root/myapbin1

the following code will automatically take any path highlighted and convert it into a rox bookmark (when activated with VTG, whether it's a menu item, tray button, or panel script--shortcut keys (other than those that access the menu) don't work very well with this script so i suggest putting VTG atop a root menu for quick key access). you can highlight multiple lines at a time and the script will correctly place the "rox" and quotation marks where they need to be.

#! /bin/sh
# based on ht-b by miriam
# name rxmkr and place in /root/my-applications/bin
# turn a path into a rox bookmark when used with nwpt/vtg
# swap out the rox to have other file managers open the folder/other programs open the file.

xclip -o | sed 's/^/rox "/' | sed 's/$/\"/' | xclip -selection clipboard
xdotool type "`xclip -out -selection clipboard`"

#<Program label="RXMKR">vtg</Program> as menu suggestion
right clicking will give you an option to open items as text--always works if the path is full. the above code places quotation marks around the path--not really necessary unless there are spaces in some program titles. highlight and use the find and replace function (search menu ...> replace selected) to have things other than rox open up the files. make copies to have it set so that a file can be opened by a variety of things at a click. to launch the bulk of puppy's programs, you don't need the path, just the name, usually in lower case.

ls /usr/share/applications > /root/pupaps1; geany  /root/pupaps1 
gives you most as a list opened in geany, but you'll need to ditch the .desktop part of the file names and the capitalization.

edit > select all > format > toggle case, and search > find and replace > [.desktop] [space, blank, or return all work] > whole document

and you be able to launch puppy's apps from menus that can be altered and expanded as you're using them.

to get an idea of the control this gives you, play around with the following code:

#!/bin/sh

# pos+

wmctrl -r :SELECT: -b remove,maximized_vert,maximized_horz && wmctrl -r :SELECT: -e 0,1176,460,-1,-1

# value of -1 means don't change; gravity, position on x axis, position on y axis, width of x, height of y.
#currently set to snap windows between two monitors. change :SELECT: to :ACTIVE: to have it work on the currently activated window rather than giving you cross hairs to zap windows with.
#requires wmctrl.
# wmctrl -G -l  gives you geometry of current windows--use as a guide.
# to use in with vtg, you don't need it as a script--just the line of code: wmctrl -r :SELECT: -b remove,maximized_vert,maximized_horz && wmctrl -r :SELECT: -e 0,1176,460,-1,-1

1176,460,-1,-1 are x position, y position, width of x, and height of y respectively, with the last two (physical dimensions as opposed to the first two, which are placement) set to remain as the original window has them. you can change the figures to whatever you like, hit VTG, and the next window you click will be forced into your chosen size and position, even if the document you are controlling things from hasn't yet been saved.

helpful hint: make shortcut menus from your bash-history and gexec history files. use program1| program2| program3| to launch things simultaneously as the VTE will ordinarily wait for something to be closed before launching the next thing. the program path/to/file1 path/to/file2 path/to/file3 format will allow most applications to open more than one file at a click.

(position script requires wmctrl, which you can get here)

____

i think this may have appeal beyond my little precise spinoff and it's not necessarily dependent on JWM, so i'm making it its own thread as opposed to placing it here, which is where i document most of my jwm fiddling. feedback welcomed and encouraged--this seems to me a good way to learn and play around with code and at the very least become more familiar with it, or at least less put off by it, if not more appreciative of it--knowing it makes life easier and there's nothing wrong with that. my appreciation for linux, puppy, rox, jwm, and geany grows every day.

i'm serious.

:lol:

enjoy.

:D
Last edited by Puppus Dogfellow on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 05:39, edited 2 times in total.

Puppus Dogfellow

a workaround for the convoluted shortcut key stroll

#2 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

xdotool allows you to quickly rein in the launch command we had to place on the menu. if you followed the above suggestion and placed the vgt command on the first slot of the root one menu, then

<Key mask="A" key="BackSpace">exec:xdotool key alt+1 Down Return</Key>	
cuts the key presses to two from four.

once you get the hang of using it, it's really fast and almost sort of fun. you can use the following code to click pop up boxes--i think the mechanics involved are somewhat akin to a golf or fishing game, or maybe even Battleship.

xdotool mousemove 0 0 click 1 mousemove restore          

what that does is tell xdotool to toss the mouse to the x and y coordinates specified (here both zero), click the left button, and then send the mouse back. trial and error until you can hit things with pinpoint accuracy and no longer need to recast, take a second shot, load up another torpedo, etc.

:wink:

thing three: since this (just about) uses real language to launch things, and since any language that interferes with the code can be commented out but still used to give and gain guidance, and since the text can be made absolutely enormous, and since it's possible that if they've waited this long to get into computers, they won't be feeling the lack of icons, perhaps the geany line launcher can be used to help make puppy friendlier for those whose visual acuity or general ease with computers is lacking.

Puppus Dogfellow

helper menu and suggested uses

#3 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

convert paths to rox bookmarks or menu items

^download and place contents in /root/my-applcations/bin.
add the following menu to /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc (or another root menu, if you have/prefer).

<Menu label="make bookmarks and launchables" icon="" height="16">

<Program label="to open with rox" icon="">rxmkr</Program>

<Program label="to open with geany" icon="">gmkr</Program>
<Program label="to open with leafpad" icon="">lpmkr</Program>

<Program label="to open with libreoffice--writer" icon="">lowmkr</Program>
<Program label="to open with libreoffice" icon="">lomkr</Program>
<Program label="plain quotation marks around path" icon="">plainquotesmkr</Program>

<Program label="to open with firefox" icon="">ffmkr</Program>
<Program label="to open with palemoon" icon="">pmmkr</Program>
<Program label="to open with seamonkey " icon="">smmkr</Program>  

<Program label="to open with mtpaint" icon="">mtmkr</Program>
<Program label="to open with viewnoir" icon="">vnmkr</Program>  

<Program label="to open with vlc" icon="">vlcmkr</Program>  
 </Menu>
use this in conjunction with the

script, which lists paths in the directory specified, then copies them into a file (to be named and given a place to reside). highlighting these paths and then clicking one of the above menu entries will surround the path with quotation marks (in case there's a break in a name somewhere), and then prepend that with the program of your choice (it's simple to swap out program name in either the script or the menu item that calls it--just copy and overwrite in both places to add your own choices to the menu) followed by a space.

i'm using

to launch vtg, possible because it sits on the first slot of the root one menu. so with alt+z providing easy activation, you just need something to provide easy access to the works. i'm using alt+shift+g (

<Key mask="AS" key="g">exec:geany /root/nwp.readme</Key> 
added to jwmrc-personal.) this is what comes up, more or less:
combination crib sheet for useful codes, menu/bookmarks launcher, scrap, VGT and NWP help. first, some useful codes:
place cursor and press VGT button or shortcut to launch code or program

-------codes-------

treesize| rox /mnt| partview
^overview 1

lxtask| PupControl
^overview 2
(when programs are linked on a line as above, place cursor to launch all or highlight one to launch it on its lonesome)

rox -D /
^close all rox windows

rox -D /close/this/directory/&subs

for f in TTT{2..6}.txt ; do cp TTT.txt $f ; done
#make multiple copies of a file^
for f in TTT{2..6} ; do cp -r TTT $f ; done
#make multiple copies of a directory^
#see line 69 for details (ctrl+l 69 enter)
^you can use ctrl+l or ctrl+f to go to line or find...you can also navigate/placehold by bracket, brace, or marker through the built in shortcut keys.

this is living scrap--there's really no reason to comment anything out--you can also highlight sections of code to see if they work--handy when putting menus together, etc...

^the above line of code launched with VTG will make a text file of all the files/paths in /root/my-applications/bin (swap out the first path for the location of your choice) and then open it (named on the fly--choose whatever you like for the location and name for the final two paths given).

ls /usr/share/applications > /root/pupaps1; geany /root/pupaps1

^gives you most as a list opened in geany, but you'll need to ditch the .desktop part of the file names and the capitalization.
edit > select all > format > toggle case and search > find and replace > [.desktop] [space, blank, return all work] > whole document
and you be able to launch puppy's apps from menus that can be altered and expanded as you're using them.
to get an idea of the control this gives you, play around with the following code:

[...]

---bookmarks and programs---

hardinfo
htop
gexec
df -h

^i have RoxTerminal set to autostart with four open tabs. you can highlight and middle click a tab to paste a name change/middle click in the tab to run the code (as with any terminal, use the arrow keys to scroll back through past entries or tab tab to autocomplete). activated with the vtg, df -h (drive sizes and free space in human readable form) and htop will output in the terminal window, and gexec and hardinfo will pop up their respective guis. (i'd've made one of them the PupControl center, but i made a scriptlet to call it and renamed it pcp--keyboard shortcut to the terminal and muscle memory actually makes that faster for me, but that's another strategy for quickly launching programs you use often/often enough.) use ctrl+7 to toggle the view back to the terminal and see the output/return to the document.

findnrun
grun

geany

geany /root/nwp.readme /root/vgtmenu2

geany /root/custombkmk1sc.txt /root/714.jwmrc /root/.jwmrc /root/.gexec_history /root/.gexec /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal2 /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Bookmarks.xml /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Groups.xml /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc /root/.gtk-bookmarks

geany /root/root0menu /root/root1menu /root/root2menu /root/root4menu /root/root5menu /root/root6menu /root/root7menu /root/root8menu /root/root9menu

rox /mnt /mnt/home /root

rox

^setting up combinations of folders and documents to be opened. for websites use browsername url1 url2 url3---this will open it in tabs usually. check your browser's options for details (type, for example, "firefox --help" into a terminal)

leafpad path/file1| leafpad path/file2| leafpad path/to/file3

change directories, run the path-getting script, make geany open the file:

cd /root/my-applications/bin
find $PWD > /mnt/sda1/myapps22est.txt
geany /mnt/sda1/myapps22est22est.txt

same as one line/step:

find $PWD /root/my-applications/bin > /root/fnddestfi1; geany /root/fnddestfi1

ls /usr/share/applications > /root/pupaps1; geany /root/pupaps1
^ list by title, which is enough to launch most things...

line 66piece line 66 piece line 66 piece line 66 piece line 66 piece line 66 piece 66 piece line 66 piece
#!/bin/sh

#make multiple copies of a file:

#for f in TTT{2..6}.txt ; do cp TTT.txt $f ; done

#for f in PPP{2..6}.png ; do cp PPP.png $f ; done
#for f in DDD{2..6}.docx ; do cp DDD.docx $f ; done
#for f in OOO{2..6}.odt ; do cp OOO.odt $f ; done

#for f in TTT{2..6} ; do cp -r TTT $f ; done
#^for directories
# swap out file name (the all caps and extension bits should match the
# file you want to copy--change the brace contents to change the amount and range/the titles of the copies--you can swap the numbers for a..z or A..Z, or add sets of braces one after the other for multiple variables.
# no extension given in the directories version and the recursive command is added. you can add text after the variables in the brackets in either and it will be part of the new file/folder name.
#more on brace expansion: http://wiki.bash-hackers.org/syntax/expansion/brace
# http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5580 ... -expansion (from Michael Krelin); orig: for f in test{2..4}.txt ; do cp file.txt $f ; done)--can anyone make this a script that works for files dragged to it?

#--------------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
# name 5copiesDir and place in /root/my-applications/bin
#make multiple copies of a file:
# nwpt menu entry <Program label="5 copies template--directories">5copiesDir</Program>
xdotool type "for f in TTT{2..6} ; do cp -r TTT $f ; done"

6666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666

/root/my-applications/SLocate/auto-updatedb-slocate.sh
^update slocate, though better in a terminal other than vte as it's relatively time consuming. use

rox /root/my-applications/SLocate
and the / function (or the arrow keys--better if everything in a folder has virtually the same name) plus Enter instead. i actually like it so much i gave it an easier to key entry (copied and renamed a desktop file) by adding "uu" to the title. below is a version that will launch it and a version that will select it (select it version requires you rename a copy of the desktopfile or a symlink to the script):

rox /usr/share/applications; xdotool type 'auto-updatedb-slocate.sh'; xdotool key Return

^keeping it a one liner means you don't have to highlight to launch it--just placing the cursor anywhere on the line (plus the vgt shortcut however you trigger it) is enough.

rox /usr/share/applications; xdotool type '/uu'

^ no Return/Enter, no launch. you could add ctrl+q at the end to automatically close the rox window the line opened (for the second version, you'd need to add ;xdotool key Return ctrl+q)..

slocate --database=[specify path] [search term]
[you can also use --database=path1:path2:path3]

slocate --database=/mnt/sda1/slocate-sda1.db

slocate --database=/mnt/sda2/slocate-sda2.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sda3/slocate-sda3.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sda4/slocate-sda4.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sda5/slocate-sda5.db

slocate --database=/mnt/sdb1/slocate-sdb1.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sdb2/slocate-sdb2.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sdb3/slocate-sdb3.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sdb4/slocate-sdb4.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sdb5/slocate-sdb5.db

slocate --database=/mnt/sdc1/slocate-sdc1.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sdc2/slocate-sdc2.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sdc3/slocate-sdc3.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sdc4/slocate-sdc4.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sdc5/slocate-sdc5.db

slocate --database=/mnt/sdd1/slocate-sdd1.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sdd2/slocate-sdd2.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sdd3/slocate-sdd3.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sdd4/slocate-sdd4.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sdd5/slocate-sdd5.db

slocate --database=slocate-loop1.db

[i'd add text like the following to one of the documents/the document that opens when you call geany in this capacity]:

rox /mnt; xdotool key ctrl+b

rox /tmp; xdotool key ctrl+b Down Down Down Down Down Down Down Down

^quickly access your rox bookmarks. you can designate what folder you want to extend its bookmarks menu by adding a path after a space after the rox; you can position the select-highlight by adding (a series of) Down to the latter part of the line (without it, the position defaults to Add New Bookmark).

rox /mnt/home; xdotool key ctrl+b Up Up Up
^three up from last bookmark

rox /usr/share; xdotool key ctrl+b Down Down Right Down
^one down on the recently visited list

tips/reminders: escape will shut the list, ctrl+Home takes you to /root(~), and Backspace moves to parent folder--you don't really need a speed dial (designate by ctrl+0-9, access by 0-9) for / or ~ because of this (ctrl+Home followed by Backspace reaches / from any folder). call the bookmarks list with ctrl+b; left click and enter close the original, middle and right click open the bookmark as an additional folder. \ is the right click menu, / opens the path search bar at the bottom of the window.

geany /root/.bashrc /root/custombkmk1sc.txt /root/.jwmrc /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal2 /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Bookmarks.xml /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Groups.xml /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc /root/.gtk-bookmarks /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin3 /etc/X11/xorg.conf /root/.history /root/root9menu /root/root8menu /root/root7menu /root/root6menu /root/root5menu /root/root4menu /root/root2menu /root/root1menu /root/root0menu /root/.gexec_history /root/.pexec_history /root/my-documents/Text/vgtapps /root/scrap /root/notes /root/.jwmrc-tray /root/.config/geany/geany.conf /root/.config/geany/keybindings.conf /root/my-applications/bin/nwp.readme /root/my-documents/Text/nwp.2

^open a bunch of useful files in geany. this is the same group i used for the recent files list in the geany.config file i'm attaching. rename/replace yours to have spell check, tree browser, the virtual terminal, and the general layout seen in the pic in the first post. swap out the recents for your own to save yourself a potential inconvenience (look around line 150 or so for your document history).

to compile (from Barry K in another thread):

# ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu
Or
# ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

But you should always run --help to find out all options:
# ./configure --help

A problem that often comes up with Quirky and many earlier pups is due to Xorg being in /usr/X11/R7. Here is a bunch of stuff that you can do prior to running configure:

export LIBS='-I/usr/X11R7/include'
export CPPFLAGS='-I/usr/X11R7/include'
export CFLAGS='-I/usr/X11R7/include'
export LDFLAGS='-L/usr/X11R7/lib'
export CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/X11R7/include
export C_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/X11R7/include

...most often not needed, certainly not all of that.

(and then i guess:)
make
make install

___

[program_name] -h > /root/my-documents/Text/[program_help]; geany /root/my-documents/Text/[program_help]

or
[program_name] --help > /root/my-documents/Text/[program_help]; geany /root/my-documents/Text/[program_help]

^to make a help file of many if not most programs

active and select resize scripts, active send-to, stick, and layer scripts, plus the code i found that made it easy to put together and why i recommend gexec:

grep -lr --exclude-dir=".excludedsub(repeat for each subtree)" -e "SELECT" . | xargs sed -i "s/SELECT/ACTIVE/g"

i used the above to flip a directory worth of files from select scripts to active scripts. here's the reverse, in case you find yourself making your own versions and want to spare yourself from needlessly doubling the effort involved getting a set for each:

grep -lr --exclude-dir=".excludedsub" -e "ACTIVE" . | xargs sed -i "s/ACTIVE/SELECT/g"

adapted from here:

http://www.isaacsukin.com/news/2013/06/ ... -directory

(i used the built-in gnfrename to batch rename a directory of copies, then copied the new scripts back into /root/my-applications/bin. remember to check the permissions if something won't run.)

--------------------
#!/bin/sh
for file in *
do
cat negones >> $file
done#!/bin/sh

#(negones being a file in the same directory consisting of:

#!/bin/sh
wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b remove,maximized_vert,maximized_horz && wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -e 0,-1,-1,-1,-1

# --a general way to make template files/fill a directory of files with given content)

#adapted from http://www.unix.com/shell-programming-a ... files.html
--------------------

find and replace (space) with (space)/root/my-applications/bin/
touch command to make them real files. [i typed out a series of numbers (200 -1800 by 25s; echo {200..1800..25} would've produced the same sequence), replaced the space (through geany's find and replace function) with space plus path, added touch in front of the resulting list, and got a batch of files that way. used gfnrename to rename copies of the originals in separate folders for height, width, select, and active (the included active send-tos were done with the grep line that starts this readme). included the content with the little script above, placed in and activated from the same folder that held the originals (spare yourself some work and copy them after the content's been added. to do: learn the code for transposing values after commas--that'd make the process more automated still...you could also i'm sure have sed/awk/grep (tr, cut?) take the values from a list and put them in the proper place in each file. this'll do for now...)

--------------------

gfnrename
--------------------

#!/bin/sh
#name fnr
findnrun
#--------------------
#^findnrun is probably the best thing to choose when you can only remember three characters in the title of the program, but it appears to only search the desktops files and so can't launch the terminal shortcuts. it gets a launch shortcut of its own, but i recommend gexec to launch the mini-scripts, whether resize, reposition, or just in general. the lack of a zealous highlight/replace-predict action may mean you need an extra tab-press to complete something like sak into sakura compared to say, gRun, but that same thing allows shorter two and three character scripts to be run without the launcher automatically predicting some longer-titled items, apparently by default interpreting those titles as fragments of longer titles outside /root/my-applications/bin--you won't be able to access them if there's a conflict. gexec's dropdown history window (which you can preload and make into a menu of sorts) also appears to work better than gRun's. i haven't done much testing with Prun, but it seems to work very well for all the non-resize/reposition shortcuts--it fails with them in the same way the terminals do (as discussed earlier, terminals are out for launching the resize reposition scripts on active windows since they'll only be resizing/repositioning themselves).

(findandrun found (gfnrename) pretty easily (top of the list by third character) and allows you to grab the launch name for the vgt...)

worth knowing: pexec works as well as gexec (and also has a pull down menu you can preload).

Code:
cd /usr/share/applications; grep Exec= *.desktop | grep -o 'Exec=.*' | cut -f2- -d'=' > /root/my-documents/Text/execs2; geany /root/my-documents/Text/execs2

Code:
grep Exec= *.desktop /usr/share/applications | grep -o 'Exec=.*' | cut -f2- -d'=' > /root/my-documents/Text/vtgapps; geany /root/my-documents/Text/vtgapps

^ build/rebuild list

Code:
geany /root/my-documents/Text/vtgapps

for f in N{2..6}.x ; do cp N.x $f  ; done
for f in dir{2..6} ; do cp -r dir $f  ; done
(5c and 5cd in the pax/nwp/pwd launcher spit out above version…)

6666666N=name…..dot.eks.equals.extension...666666666666666666666666666666666

Batch convert in libreoffice to pdf:

for F in *.doc; do libreoffice --convert-to pdf $F; done
for F in *.odt; do libreoffice --convert-to pdf $F; done

from rcrsn51 thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 5060#82506

should work for all combinations and in both directions with: odt doc docx txt rtf ...

for F in *.rtf; do libreoffice --convert-to odt $F; done
for F in *.doc; do libreoffice --convert-to odt $F; done
for F in *.odt; do libreoffice --convert-to pdf $F; done
for F in *.odt; do libreoffice --convert-to doc $F; done
for F in *.odt; do libreoffice --convert-to docx $F; done
for F in *.html; do libreoffice --convert-to odt $F; done
for F in *.html; do libreoffice --convert-to pdf $F; done
for F in *.html; do libreoffice --convert-to rtf $F; done
for F in *.html; do libreoffice --convert-to doc $F; done
for F in *.html; do libreoffice --convert-to docx $F; done

[trying for nwp html to wp functionality without having to use box, zoho, google, etc. if libre doesn't work out, abiword, ted, --there are a few others that can possibly lend their off-line capabilities to the cause…]

cd /nwp/
chmod -R 755 *

cd /root/my-applications/bin
chmod -R 755 *

cd /path/to/file
chmod -R 755 *

chmod -R 755 /nwp/
(easy way to set the permissions for an entire utility suite or directory...likely frowned upon by those more security conscious/aware...but root works out fine under puppy despite the warnings so here it is.)

[just been adding shiny codey things...like i said, scrap, but it's alive...and i'm a squirrel...]
anyway, sloppy as this is, i hope it makes its usefulness (or at least intention) clear. that copy script makes it easy to make multiple copies of a directory or file--one of the few shortcomings of rox overcome.

edit: paths prepended with rox will open the file with its default handler, so it's really the most useful of the bookmarking scripts.

edit 2: copy files and copy directories scripts needed an extra line or two commented out to function correctly for use with rox or a windows manager. fixed.
Last edited by Puppus Dogfellow on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 02:13, edited 15 times in total.

musher0

#4 Post by musher0 »

Hi, Puppus.

Thanks for this, but I'm not sure I fully understand your use of geany
in this way.

So this is totally different from using F5 in geany to launch or test a script
loaded in geany? (I routinely use that function of geany to test scripts.)

Thanks in advance for any explanation. BFN.

musher0
Last edited by musher0 on Thu 02 Apr 2015, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Puppus Dogfellow

#5 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

musher0 wrote:Hi, Puppus.

Thanks for this, but I'm not sure I fully understand your use of geany
in this way.

So this is totally different from using F5 in geany to launch or test a script
loaded in geany? (I routinely use that function of eany to test scripts.)

Thanks in advance for any explanation. BFN.

musher0
for me, F5 pops up a bash window (always with nothing more than an error report) and doesn't work on individual lines. i think it may be more like the execute button in that it launches an entire file/script. with this, you can do a line or whatever you highlight (scripts, words, and/or bits of code). the idea is to seamlessly use it from the the document you're working on, one you just launched, or one nearby--don't feel like opening the menu to get leafpad? just type leafpad on a line and hit alt+z, etc.

of course, if F5 ordinarily worked in this manner (send to the terminal, output in the terminal, launch from the terminal, return to the document as if you never left it) it would save about five minutes of set up. i think down the line, its main use for me may be code i found and a way to launch multiple folders, files, etc. i've placed a text file in dropbox so that my custom shortcuts end up persistent even if the computer or OS dies. there's no set up or other fiddling around--just open up the file and nearly all the shortcuts are usable, with the only exceptions being path-specific batch launches.

HTH

(and that i'm wrong about the way F5 works, though to use it i'd have to untweak some things...and i've got a machine with largely functionless function keys...still, would be easier to set up in that there'd be nothing to do. or explain. :wink: )

musher0

#6 Post by musher0 »

Hi.

Thanks for the further explanation, but tests will have to wait a little,
I'm busy at present with stemsee's GUI for slocate.

TWYL.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Puppus Dogfellow

#7 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

musher0 wrote:Hi.

Thanks for the further explanation, but tests will have to wait a little,
I'm busy at present with stemsee's GUI for slocate.

TWYL.

musher0
i just tested out VGT with your slocate scripts. works very well and helps with my only two complaints/feature requests--the autoupdate inordinately taxes one of my machines so i've taken to disabling it for all of them--perhaps this option could be added to the GUI. also, there doesn't seem to be a readily apparent way to get the thing to search a specific database rather than all of them--annoying when you know what you're looking for is on a specific partition/drive. to help with this, i've added the following to the geany text file from before:
/root/my-applications/SLocate/auto-updatedb-slocate.sh
^update slocate, though better in a terminal other than vte as it's relatively time consuming. use

rox /root/my-applications/SLocate
and the / function (or the arrow keys--better if everything in a folder has virtually the same name) plus Enter instead. i actually like it so much i gave it an easier to key entry (copied and renamed a desktop file) by adding "uu" to the title. below is a version that will launch it and a version that will select it (select it version requires you rename a copy of the desktopfile or a symlink to the script):

rox /usr/share/applications; xdotool type 'auto-updatedb-slocate.sh'; xdotool key Return

^keeping it a one liner means you don't have to highlight to launch it--just placing the cursor anywhere on the line (plus the vgt shortcut however you trigger it) is enough.

rox /usr/share/applications; xdotool type '/uu'

^ no Return/Enter, no launch. you could add ctrl+q at the end to automatically close the rox window the line opened (for the second version, you'd need to add ;xdotool key Return ctrl+q)..

slocate --database=[specify path] [search term]
[you can also use --database=path1:path2:path3]

slocate --database=/mnt/sda1/slocate-sda1.db

slocate --database=/mnt/sda2/slocate-sda2.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sda3/slocate-sda3.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sda4/slocate-sda4.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sda5/slocate-sda5.db

slocate --database=/mnt/sdb1/slocate-sdb1.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sdb2/slocate-sdb2.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sdb3/slocate-sdb3.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sdb4/slocate-sdb4.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sdb5/slocate-sdb5.db

slocate --database=/mnt/sdc1/slocate-sdc1.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sdc2/slocate-sdc2.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sdc3/slocate-sdc3.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sdc4/slocate-sdc4.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sdc5/slocate-sdc5.db

slocate --database=/mnt/sdd1/slocate-sdd1.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sdd2/slocate-sdd2.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sdd3/slocate-sdd3.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sdd4/slocate-sdd4.db
slocate --database=/mnt/sdd5/slocate-sdd5.db

slocate --database=slocate-loop1.db

when you run the search code, it's sent to the terminal with alt+z, but you'll have to use ctrl+7 to view it (and use it again to get back to the document).

it's not a bad terminal--you can give it a photo backdrop and customize the font and colors and stuff. :)
Last edited by Puppus Dogfellow on Tue 07 Apr 2015, 06:40, edited 2 times in total.

musher0

#8 Post by musher0 »

By VTG, you mean the Volume of Trapped Gas? ;)
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/VTG
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Puppus Dogfellow

#9 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

musher0 wrote:By VTG, you mean the Volume of Trapped Gas? ;)
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/VTG
possibly.

8)

Puppus Dogfellow

an easier setup method

#10 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

you'll need the following script and some tweaking of the geany menu.

#!/bin/sh
# name vtg and place in /root/my-applications/bin
# requires xdotool and a few menu adjustments 
#geany as launcher and bookmarks manager
#open programs, files and web sites; reshape and resize windows from within a text document.
xdotool key ctrl+9 ctrl+8 Return ctrl+7

#for jwm root menu(s): <Program label="Geany VTE Line Launch" icon="">vtg</Program>
 #or <Program label="VTG"">vtg</Program> .   for a tray button you could use   <TrayButton popup="geanylauncher" label="VTG">exec:vtg</TrayButton> . add an icon (icon="path/to/icon.jpg.or.whatever") for it if you like. add to /root/jwmrc-tray or any other

at this point, this xdotool script is pointing to shortcuts in geany which do not yet exist. to make them,

edit > preferences > keybindings (or help > keyboard shortcuts > edit)

step 1: send selection (or line--just place the cursor; you don't need to highlight anything) to terminal:
ctrl+9 (this one is already built in as F4--you can set the shortcuts to whatever you like--just keep the order the same as in the script above)

step 2: switch focus to terminal:
ctrl+8

step 3: enter command obtained in step 1
Return

step 4: return focus to page/close message window and terminal so that you're back to the original page as it was before you launched the script. you'll need to alter this if you want to keep the terminal open or otherwise change the interface:
ctrl+7

you'll need to find the slots for the above commands and set the shortcut keys (the pop up will call ctrl primary), optionally leaving F4 and changing the ctrl+9 in the script above to match.
all the hunting and pecking is actually kind of an annoying ordeal, so i'm attaching my keybindings.conf file for you to swap with yours. unless you've customized many keyboard shortcuts in geany (all of which get overruled by whatever keyboard shortcuts are set in JWM and likely other windows managers as well), this will save you time. just name it keybindings.conf and place in /root/.config/geany, overwriting your own. the way it's set (i believe i misremembered the original use for F4--it's actually overwritten by ctrl+8 above--there was no shortcut for send selection/line to terminal), ctrl+7 toggles the message window open and closed (since the last use was the terminal, that's what will be visible/in focus), which is sometimes handy in itself. however, you'll still need the ctrl+8 combo to actually enter anything into it--the focus (cursor) will remain on the text document otherwise. when the message window is closed, the text document immediately becomes active again/ regains the focus and the blinking cursor.

[Bindings]
popup_gototagdefinition=
edit_transposeline=<Primary>t
edit_movelineup=
edit_movelinedown=
move_tableft=<Alt>Page_Up
move_tabright=<Alt>Page_Down
menu_new=<Primary>n
menu_open=<Primary>o
menu_open_selected=<Primary><Shift>o
menu_save=<Primary>s
menu_saveas=
menu_saveall=<Primary><Shift>s
menu_print=<Primary>p
menu_close=<Primary>w
menu_closeall=<Primary><Shift>w
menu_reloadfile=<Primary>r
file_openlasttab=
menu_quit=<Primary>q
menu_undo=<Primary>z
menu_redo=<Primary>y
edit_duplicateline=<Primary>d
edit_deleteline=<Primary>k
edit_deletelinetoend=<Primary><Shift>Delete
edit_scrolltoline=<Primary><Shift>l
edit_scrolllineup=<Alt>Up
edit_scrolllinedown=<Alt>Down
edit_completesnippet=Tab
move_snippetnextcursor=
edit_suppresssnippetcompletion=
popup_contextaction=
edit_autocomplete=<Primary>space
edit_calltip=<Primary><Shift>space
edit_macrolist=<Primary>Return
edit_wordpartcompletion=Tab
menu_cut=<Primary>x
menu_copy=<Primary>c
menu_paste=<Primary>v
edit_copyline=<Primary><Shift>c
edit_cutline=<Primary><Shift>x
menu_selectall=<Primary>a
edit_selectword=<Shift><Alt>w
edit_selectline=<Shift><Alt>l
edit_selectparagraph=<Shift><Alt>p
edit_selectwordpartleft=
edit_selectwordpartright=
edit_togglecase=<Primary><Alt>u
edit_commentlinetoggle=<Primary>e
edit_commentline=
edit_uncommentline=
edit_increaseindent=<Primary>i
edit_decreaseindent=<Primary>u
edit_increaseindentbyspace=
edit_decreaseindentbyspace=
edit_autoindent=
edit_sendtocmd1=<Primary>1
edit_sendtocmd2=<Primary>2
edit_sendtocmd3=<Primary>3
edit_sendtovte=<Primary>9
format_reflowparagraph=<Primary>j
edit_joinlines=
menu_insert_date=<Shift><Alt>d
edit_insertwhitespace=
edit_insertlinebefore=
edit_insertlineafter=
menu_preferences=<Primary><Alt>p
menu_pluginpreferences=
menu_find=<Primary>f
menu_findnext=<Primary>g
menu_findprevious=<Primary><Shift>g
menu_findnextsel=
menu_findprevsel=
menu_replace=<Primary>h
menu_findinfiles=<Primary><Shift>f
menu_nextmessage=
menu_previousmessage=
popup_findusage=<Primary><Shift>e
popup_finddocumentusage=<Primary><Shift>d
find_markall=<Primary><Shift>m
nav_back=<Alt>Left
nav_forward=<Alt>Right
menu_gotoline=<Primary>l
edit_gotomatchingbrace=<Primary>b
edit_togglemarker=<Primary>m
edit_gotonextmarker=<Primary>period
edit_gotopreviousmarker=<Primary>comma
popup_gototagdeclaration=<Primary><Shift>t
edit_gotolinestart=Home
edit_gotolineend=End
edit_gotolinestartvisual=<Alt>Home
edit_gotolineendvisual=<Alt>End
edit_prevwordstart=<Primary>slash
edit_nextwordstart=<Primary>backslash
menu_toggleall=
menu_fullscreen=F11
menu_messagewindow=<Primary>7
toggle_sidebar=
menu_zoomin=<Primary>plus
menu_zoomout=<Primary>minus
normal_size=<Primary>0
menu_linewrap=
menu_linebreak=
menu_clone=
menu_replacetabs=
menu_replacespaces=
menu_togglefold=
menu_foldall=
menu_unfoldall=
reloadtaglist=<Primary><Shift>r
remove_markers=
remove_error_indicators=
remove_markers_and_indicators=
project_new=
project_open=
project_properties=
project_close=
build_compile=F8
build_link=F9
build_make=<Shift>F9
build_makeowntarget=<Primary><Shift>F9
build_makeobject=<Shift>F8
build_nexterror=
build_previouserror=
build_run=F5
build_options=
menu_opencolorchooser=
menu_help=F1
switch_editor=F2
switch_search_bar=F7
switch_message_window=
switch_compiler=
switch_messages=
switch_scribble=F6
switch_vte=<Primary>8
switch_sidebar=
switch_sidebar_symbol_list=
switch_sidebar_doc_list=
switch_tableft=<Primary>Page_Up
switch_tabright=<Primary>Page_Down
switch_tablastused=<Primary>Tab
move_tabfirst=
move_tablast=

[addons]
focus_bookmark_list=
focus_tasks=
update_tasks=
xml_tagging=
Enclose_1=
Enclose_2=
Enclose_3=
Enclose_4=
Enclose_5=
Enclose_6=
Enclose_7=
Enclose_8=

[commander]
show_panel=

[file_browser]
focus_file_list=
focus_path_entry=
rename_object=
create_file=
create_dir=
rename_refresh=

[html_chars]
insert_html_chars=
replace_special_characters=
htmltoogle_toggle_plugin_status=

[spellcheck]
spell_check=
spell_toggle_typing=

[split_window]
split_horizontal=
split_vertical=
split_unsplit=

Puppus Dogfellow

improved method for grabbing exec commands

#11 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

to launch the bulk of puppy's programs, you don't need the path, just the name, usually in lower case.

ls /usr/share/applications > /root/pupaps1; geany  /root/pupaps1
gives you most as a list opened in geany, but you'll need to ditch the .desktop part of the file names and the capitalization.

edit > select all > format > toggle case, and search > find and replace > [.desktop] [space, blank, or return all work] > whole document

a better way to get the exec commands, or to at least pick up those the other method may have missed:

cd  /usr/share/applications; grep Exec= *.desktop > /root/my-documents/Text/execs; geany /root/my-documents/Text/execs
^ build/rebuild and open the list

geany /root/my-documents/Text/execs
^open the list (you should probably rename the file being opened (and adjust the above line accordingly) since it may have older customizations and reorderings you don't want overwritten just for the sake of a few new relatively easily gotten exec commands here and there). add this to the vgt text file or add the path to it to the command that opens the vgt text file(s).

____

either of the following versions will give only the executable commands from the usr/share/applications folder's desktop files, stripping out title and other extraneous info (i.e. all lines in the output file will launch with no further changes):

cd  /usr/share/applications; grep Exec= *.desktop | grep -o 'Exec=.*' | cut -f2- -d'=' > /root/my-documents/Text/execs2; geany /root/my-documents/Text/execs2

grep Exec= *.desktop /usr/share/applications | grep -o 'Exec=.*' | cut -f2- -d'=' > /root/my-documents/Text/vtgapps; geany /root/my-documents/Text/vtgapps

tallboy

#12 Post by tallboy »

I don't intend to be mean to people who really do an effort to improve on an application, especially one that is found in most - if not all - puppys, but unless my memory plays tricks on me, we had an application that could do all these things - and much more - years ago, emacs... 8)

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Puppus Dogfellow

#13 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

tallboy wrote:I don't intend to be mean to people who really do an effort to improve on an application, especially one that is found in most - if not all - puppys, but unless my memory plays tricks on me, we had an application that could do all these things - and much more - years ago, emacs... 8)

tallboy
i'm sure many text editors can be configured to do what geany does here. does emacs automatically strip the exec commands from the desktop files? i wouldn't be surprised to find it had a working line launcher by default--wasn't too involved to set up the shortcut keys regardless.

that you were even reminded of emacs is something i take as a compliment of sorts--this is just my attempt to make customizations of menus and tasks easier for newbies and general linux users, feeling somewhat between the two myself. my main exposure to linux is puppy and my main exposure to text editors is geany--i view vim and emacs as something for the elite hackers and programmers, while i'm still getting used to using the terminal and coming to terms with the idea that i like my geany layout better for word processing than my libreoffice layout. geany (which is light even as text editors go, from what i gather) is lighter and quicker than an office suite and i think about one day learning all or most of the text and document navigation/movement shortcuts it has. once upon a time i hated the mouse, and text editors are very keyboard oriented, something that still has a perhaps nostalgic appeal for me.

modifying this seems easier than finding a compatible version of emacs and configuring it similarly, or compiling the latest version, getting its plugins, etc.

which isn't to say i wouldn't give it a try if it or vim or vi became available. i probably wouldn't, but i might--one of them has some sort of file that records every change made to everything--sounds like it could be helpful in some ways. as i said, i'm taking a program you may or may not already have open and use to record notes or change your set up or write programs, plays, poetry, prose, codes, or scripts, and am giving a few tips that are a customizable menu/on how to customize a menu. so, no meanness taken or detected, but for what it's worth, i see comparisons with gexec or pRun plus maybe a little xpad more fitting than comparisons with other text editors, at least as far as my little tweak to the geany (and i guess jwm) interface/experience goes. it's sort of, "here's a place you can write stuff down. also, it's a terminal, which may be a somewhat new idea for you..." three years of using linux has made me more confident and comfortable with computers than twenty or so years as a windows users did. just trying to pass on some of what's made things a little easier and more pleasant for me.

anyway, it's mostly just a change-on-the-fly menu and a crib sheet for newbie friendly code. i add things as i find them, suggest others do the same. reorder for convenience, delete code as/if you commit it to memory (unless it's long).

tallboy

#14 Post by tallboy »

Puppus Dogfellow, I really respect the work you do with Geany!

One of the reasons I mentioned emacs, is that it demonstrates how easy it is to be trapped in the development of a super-editor. I don't use emacs much anymore, but if you take a look in the Debian repos, you will find an almost insanely high number of additional packages for emacs, all full of commands with their own keystrokes to do this or that - way too many to remember! Emacs can also tell you about it while you do something else, you choose the voice, there are not many tasks that emacs cannot do! BTW; I must mention my favorite command in emacs, that is missing in all other programs: DWIM - Do What I Mean! That should tell you something about the complexity in the mindset of the developers...
The same situation developed around Donald Knuth's wonderful typesetting sytem LaTex. There is almost no limit to the additions that others have made to the basic LaTex, the last time i looked, the whole Tex setup needed a DVD for download. 4 gigs, mostly just text! That is a lot of pages!
As for the office suites, they steadily grow, but they always compromize on some functions.

I am unfortunately just getting older - not wiser - and I find myself, with increasing frequency, having to read the user manuals for commands or programs I have used many times over the years, simply because they have grown out over all proportions.

User friendlyness in a small package is what I look for now, and it seems you are thinking along those lines, so please continue making your improvements to Geany. When I need them, I shall test them as they develop! :D

One should always have in mind the basic thought behind the development of the commands for 'nixes; Do one thing, and do it well!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy

tallboy

BTW, I use Geany and Xpad every single day.

Puppus Dogfellow

NWP--The Nooby Word Processor

#15 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

tallboy wrote:Puppus Dogfellow, I really respect the work you do with Geany!

One of the reasons I mentioned emacs, is that it demonstrates how easy it is to be trapped in the development of a super-editor. I don't use emacs much anymore, but if you take a look in the Debian repos, you will find an almost insanely high number of additional packages for emacs, all full of commands with their own keystrokes to do this or that - way too many to remember! Emacs can also tell you about it while you do something else, you choose the voice, there are not many tasks that emacs cannot do! BTW; I must mention my favorite command in emacs, that is missing in all other programs: DWIM - Do What I Mean! That should tell you something about the complexity in the mindset of the developers...
The same situation developed around Donald Knuth's wonderful typesetting sytem LaTex. There is almost no limit to the additions that others have made to the basic LaTex, the last time i looked, the whole Tex setup needed a DVD for download. 4 gigs, mostly just text! That is a lot of pages!
As for the office suites, they steadily grow, but they always compromize on some functions.

I am unfortunately just getting older - not wiser - and I find myself, with increasing frequency, having to read the user manuals for commands or programs I have used many times over the years, simply because they have grown out over all proportions.

User friendlyness in a small package is what I look for now, and it seems you are thinking along those lines, so please continue making your improvements to Geany. When I need them, I shall test them as they develop! :D

One should always have in mind the basic thought behind the development of the commands for 'nixes; Do one thing, and do it well!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy

tallboy

BTW, I use Geany and Xpad every single day.
thanks for the kind words and background, tallboy. i guess i am trying to make it friendlier, but the user package is more puppy than geany as i see it. i'm no coder so things'd have to be small--i write scriptlets more than scripts, just little crutches and bread trails and the like. here you can see what (little) progress i've made making geany (and any other text processor--the menu will work on any active window that can receive text) into a word processor of sorts--i figured the final cementing of the document format can be done through google drive or some similar service. the windows manipulation scripts and word processing tools (really just html code at the moment) are something like 150 tiny scripts that do one dopey thing and one dopey thing only, so i think i'm on some similar line of thought with the greats :P :wink:. i really like the speed and tabs and shortcuts and--and i can see your point about getting lost in a supereditor. four gigs is a lot, but if you care to, you can try the meg or so ofgeany plug-ins/librariesi pulled off my machine. some of the add ins are cool--i like the tree browser, spell check, extend select (in theory--it can help with the paste and paste parts of the NWP menu. i haven't actually used it yet.)--there are a few others that also seem interesting. i tried downloading it from the PPM but it didn't work for me on any of four machines. nor did the debian packages i found. copying and moving the plugins and libraries (after compiling them in 5.5) to their proper places worked for me. i saw another poster asking for geany plugins, so maybe i'm not the only one who had difficulty with the official packages.

speaking of geany and xpad, there's http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/howto/sync_xpad, which to me seems needlessly complicated compared to just syncing through geany, but it's interesting nonetheless. i've got an xpad backup and wipe out solution if you'd like to test (those things tend to pile up, don't they?).

but, yes, simple and helpful are good goals.

on the topic of helpful (more for the vgt crib sheet):

[i'd add text like the following to one of the documents/the document that opens when you call geany in this capacity]:

rox /mnt; xdotool key ctrl+b

rox /tmp; xdotool key ctrl+b Down Down Down Down Down Down Down Down

^quickly access your rox bookmarks. you can designate what folder you want to extend its bookmarks menu by adding a path after a space after the rox; you can position the select-highlight by adding (a series of) Down to the latter part of the line (without it, the position defaults to Add New Bookmark).

rox /mnt/home; xdotool key ctrl+b Up Up Up
^three up from last bookmark

rox /usr/share; xdotool key ctrl+b Down Down Right Down
^one down on the recently visited list

tips/reminders: escape will shut the list, ctrl+Home takes you to /root(~), and Backspace moves to parent folder--you don't really need a speed dial (designate by ctrl+0-9, access by 0-9) for / or ~ because of this (ctrl+Home followed by Backspace reaches / from any folder). call the bookmarks list with ctrl+b; left click and enter close the original, middle and right click open the bookmark as an additional folder. \ is the right click menu, / opens the path search bar at the bottom of the window.

geany /root/.bashrc /root/custombkmk1sc.txt /root/.jwmrc /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal2 /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Bookmarks.xml /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Groups.xml /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc /root/.gtk-bookmarks /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin3 /etc/X11/xorg.conf /root/.history /root/root9menu /root/root8menu /root/root7menu /root/root6menu /root/root5menu /root/root4menu /root/root2menu /root/root1menu /root/root0menu /root/.gexec_history /root/.pexec_history /root/my-documents/Text/vgtapps /root/scrap /root/notes /root/.jwmrc-tray /root/.config/geany/geany.conf /root/.config/geany/keybindings.conf /root/my-applications/bin/nwp.readme /root/my-documents/Text/nwp.2

^open a bunch of useful files in geany. this is the same group i used for the recent files list in the geany.config file i'm attaching. rename/replace yours to have spell check, tree browser, the virtual terminal, and the general layout seen in the pic in the first post. swap out the recents for your own to save yourself a potential inconvenience (look around line 150 or so for your document history).

to compile (from Barry K in another thread):

# ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu
Or
# ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

But you should always run --help to find out all options:
# ./configure --help

A problem that often comes up with Quirky and many earlier pups is due to Xorg being in /usr/X11/R7. Here is a bunch of stuff that you can do prior to running configure:

export LIBS='-I/usr/X11R7/include'
export CPPFLAGS='-I/usr/X11R7/include'
export CFLAGS='-I/usr/X11R7/include'
export LDFLAGS='-L/usr/X11R7/lib'
export CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/X11R7/include
export C_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/X11R7/include

...most often not needed, certainly not all of that.

(and then i guess:)
make
make install

___

[program_name] -h > /root/my-documents/Text/[program_help]; geany /root/my-documents/Text/[program_help]

or
[program_name] --help > /root/my-documents/Text/[program_help]; geany /root/my-documents/Text/[program_help]

^to make a help file of many if not most programs

my geany.conf:

[geany]
toolbar_visible=true
toolbar_icon_style=0
treeview_position=274
msgwindow_position=332
mru_length=50
long_line_column=79
long_line_color=#C2EBC2
beep_on_errors=true
treeview_symbol_visible=false
treeview_openfiles_visible=false
msgwindow_visible=false
use_folding=true
use_auto_indention=true
show_indent_guide=false
show_white_space=false
show_markers_margin=false
show_linenumber_margin=false
line_breaking=true
show_line_endings=false
fullscreen=false
tab_order_ltr=false
brace_match_ltgt=false
switch_msgwin_pages=true
auto_close_xml_tags=false
auto_complete_constructs=false
terminal_settings=
editor_font=Monospace 13
tagbar_font=DejaVu Sans Mono 16
msgwin_font=DejaVu Sans Ultra-Light 17
scribble_text=Type here what you want, use it as a notice/scratch board
geometry=4;4;1590;1154;0;
pref_editor_tab_width=4
pref_main_confirm_exit=false
pref_main_load_session=true
pref_main_save_winpos=true
pref_main_show_search=true
pref_main_show_goto=true
pref_editor_new_line=false
pref_editor_trail_space=false
pref_template_developer=root
pref_template_company=
pref_template_mail=root@LazY-Puppy-202-WS
pref_template_initial=r
pref_template_version=1.0
long_line_type=0
tab_pos_editor=1
tab_pos_msgwin=2
tab_pos_sidebar=2
sidebar_symbol_visible=false
sidebar_openfiles_visible=true
sidebar_visible=true
use_indicators=true
pref_toolbar_show=true
pref_toolbar_show_search=true
pref_toolbar_show_goto=true
pref_toolbar_show_zoom=false
pref_toolbar_show_undo=false
pref_toolbar_show_compile=true
pref_toolbar_show_colour=true
pref_toolbar_show_fileops=true
pref_toolbar_icon_style=0
pref_toolbar_icon_size=1
pref_editor_replace_tabs=false
pref_editor_default_encoding=ISO-8859-1
default_open_path=/root/my-documents/Text
cmdline_new_files=true
notebook_double_click_hides_widgets=false
sidebar_pos=0
highlighting_invert_all=false
pref_main_suppress_search_dialogs=false
pref_main_search_use_current_word=true
check_detect_indent=false
use_tab_to_indent=true
indent_mode=2
indent_type=1
virtualspace=1
autocomplete_doc_words=false
completion_drops_rest_of_word=false
autocompletion_max_entries=30
color_scheme=
disk_check_timeout=30
show_editor_scrollbars=true
use_gtk_word_boundaries=true
complete_snippets_whilst_editing=false
show_symbol_list_expanders=true
compiler_tab_autoscroll=true
allow_always_save=false
use_safe_file_saving=false
indent_hard_tab_width=8
documents_show_paths=true
sidebar_page=3
pref_main_project_session=true
pref_main_project_file_in_basedir=false
pref_main_suppress_status_messages=false
auto_focus=false
show_notebook_tabs=true
show_tab_cross=true
tab_order_beside=false
msgwin_status_visible=true
msgwin_compiler_visible=true
msgwin_messages_visible=true
msgwin_scribble_visible=true
use_native_windows_dialogs=false
long_line_enabled=true
symbolcompletion_max_height=10
symbolcompletion_min_chars=4
unfold_all_children=false
line_wrapping=true
complete_snippets=true
auto_complete_symbols=true
pref_editor_disable_dnd=false
pref_editor_smart_home_key=false
pref_editor_newline_strip=false
line_break_column=138
auto_continue_multiline=true
comment_toggle_mark=~ 
scroll_stop_at_last_line=true
autoclose_chars=0
pref_editor_default_new_encoding=ISO-8859-1
pref_editor_default_open_encoding=None
default_eol_character=2
pref_toolbar_append_to_menu=true
pref_toolbar_use_gtk_default_style=true
pref_toolbar_use_gtk_default_icon=false
pref_template_year=%Y
pref_template_date=%Y-%m-%d
pref_template_datetime=%d.%m.%Y %H:%M:%S %Z
context_action_cmd=
statusbar_visible=true
scribble_pos=57
custom_date_format=
pref_editor_default_new_encoding=UTF-8
editor_font=Nimbus Roman No9 L 15
show_linenumber_margin=true
gio_unsafe_save_backup=false
find_selection_type=0
statusbar_template=
new_document_after_close=false
pref_editor_ensure_convert_line_endings=false
tab_close_switch_to_mru=false
detect_indent_width=false
autocompletion_update_freq=250
use_atomic_file_saving=false
use_gio_unsafe_file_saving=true
extract_filetype_regex=-\\*-\\s*([^\\s]+)\\s*-\\*-
msgwin_orientation=1

[build]
build_make_cmd=/usr/bin/make
build_term_cmd=/usr/bin/xterm
build_browser_cmd=/usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser

[files]
recent_files=recent_files=/root/.bashrc;/root/custombkmk1sc.txt;/root/.jwmrc;/etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc;/root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal;/root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal2;/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Bookmarks.xml;/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Groups.xml;/etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc;/root/.gtk-bookmarks;/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin3;/etc/X11/xorg.conf;/root/.history;/root/root9menu;/root/root8menu;/root/root7menu;/root/root6menu;/root/root5menu;/root/root4menu;/root/root2menu;/root/root1menu;/root/root0menu;/root/.gexec_history;/root/.pexec_history;/root/my-documents/Text/vgtapps;/root/scrap;/root/notes;/root/.jwmrc-tray;/root/.config/geany/geany.conf;/root/.config/geany/keybindings.conf;/root/my-applications/bin/nwp.readme;/root/my-documents/Text/nwp.2;
recent_projects=
current_page=0
FILE_NAME_0=11;Sh;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Fmnt%2Fmmcblk0p2%2FDropbox%2FMMMMMMMMM%2FYoutube-dl_Gui.;0;4
FILE_NAME_1=13134;None;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Froot%2Fnwp;0;4
FILE_NAME_2=660;Sh;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Froot%2Fmy-applications%2Fbin%2F5copies;0;4
FILE_NAME_3=46;Sh;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Froot%2Fmy-applications%2Fbin%2F5copiesDir;0;4
FILE_NAME_4=662;Sh;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Froot%2Fmy-applications%2Fbin%2F5cop;0;4
FILE_NAME_5=0;None;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Froot%2F.config%2Fgeany%2Ftemplates%2Ftemplates.README;0;4
FILE_NAME_6=0;XML;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Froot%2F.config%2Fgeany%2Fui_toolbar.xml;0;4
FILE_NAME_7=0;Conf;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Froot%2F.config%2Fgeany%2Fkeybindings.conf;0;4
FILE_NAME_8=0;None;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Fmnt%2Fmmcblk0p2%2FDropbox%2FMMMMMMMMM%2Fsingmon2;0;4
FILE_NAME_9=7963;None;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Froot%2Fdubmon2;0;4
FILE_NAME_10=68;None;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Fmnt%2Fmmcblk0p2%2FDropbox%2FMMMMMMMMM%2FGeany%20Keyboard%20shortcuts;0;4
FILE_NAME_11=0;None;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Ftmp%2Fgis_3U6QWX.;0;4
FILE_NAME_12=0;None;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Fmnt%2Fmmcblk0p2%2FDropbox%2Ffeb%2Fcldsvc;0;4
FILE_NAME_13=79075;None;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Fmnt%2Fmmcblk0p2%2FDropbox%2FMMMMMMMMM%2Fsc3.;0;4
FILE_NAME_14=0;Conf;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Fmnt%2Fmmcblk0p2%2FDropbox%2FMMMMMMMMM%2Fkeybindings.conf;0;4
FILE_NAME_15=0;XML;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Fetc%2Fxdg%2Ftemplates%2F_root_.jwmrc;0;4
FILE_NAME_16=0;None;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Froot%2Fgeany%20tweaks2;0;4
FILE_NAME_17=68;None;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Froot%2Fgeany%20tweaks3;0;4
FILE_NAME_18=0;Conf;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Froot%2F.config%2Fgeany%2Fgeany.conf;0;4
FILE_NAME_19=787;None;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Froot%2Fmy-applications%2Fbin%2Fnwp.readme;0;4
FILE_NAME_20=12144;None;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Froot%2Fnwp4162;0;4
FILE_NAME_21=12944;None;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Froot%2Fnwp4161;0;4
FILE_NAME_22=9472;None;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Fmnt%2Fmmcblk0p2%2FDropbox%2Ffeb%2F%20apophenianDunning–Kruger%20effect;0;4
FILE_NAME_23=22835;XML;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Froot%2Froot0menu;0;4
FILE_NAME_24=288;XML;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Froot%2Froot1menu;0;4
FILE_NAME_25=28394;XML;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Froot%2Froot2menu;0;4
FILE_NAME_26=17393;XML;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Froot%2Froot4menu;0;4
FILE_NAME_27=23172;XML;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Froot%2Froot5menu;0;4
FILE_NAME_28=9707;XML;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Froot%2Froot6menu;0;4
FILE_NAME_29=12303;XML;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Froot%2Froot7menu;0;4
FILE_NAME_30=17732;XML;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Froot%2Froot8menu;0;4
FILE_NAME_31=11255;XML;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Froot%2Froot9menu;0;4
FILE_NAME_32=0;None;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Froot%2Fnwp415;0;4
FILE_NAME_33=0;None;0;EUTF-8;1;1;1;%2Fmnt%2Fmmcblk0p2%2FDropbox%2FMMMMMMMMM%2Findexing%20codes%20by%20musher0;0;4

[tools]
make_cmd=
term_cmd=/usr/bin/xterm -e bash -c
browser_cmd=/usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser
print_cmd=/usr/bin/lpr %f
grep_cmd=/bin/grep
terminal_cmd=/usr/bin/xterm -e bash -c -e "/bin/sh %c"

[search]
pref_search_current_file_dir=true
find_all_expanded=false
replace_all_expanded=false
position_find_x=566
position_find_y=505
position_replace_x=-1
position_replace_y=-1
position_fif_x=-1
position_fif_y=-1
fif_mode=0
fif_extra_options=
fif_case_sensitive=true
fif_match_whole_word=false
fif_invert_results=false
fif_recursive=false
fif_use_extra_options=false
fif_regexp=false
fif_files=
fif_use_files=false
pref_search_hide_find_dialog=false
pref_search_always_wrap=false
fif_files_mode=0
find_regexp=false
find_case_sensitive=false
find_escape_sequences=false
find_match_whole_word=false
find_match_word_start=false
find_close_dialog=true
replace_regexp=false
replace_case_sensitive=false
replace_escape_sequences=false
replace_match_whole_word=false
replace_match_word_start=false
replace_search_backwards=false
replace_close_dialog=true

[plugins]
load_plugins=true
custom_plugin_path=
active_plugins=/usr/lib/geany/addons.so;/usr/lib/geany/commander.so;/usr/lib/geany/export.so;/usr/lib/geany/filebrowser.so;/usr/lib/geany/htmlchars.so;/usr/lib/geany/geanyminiscript.so;/usr/lib/geany/geanynumberedbookmarks.so;/usr/lib/geany/saveactions.so;/usr/lib/geany/spellcheck.so;/usr/lib/geany/splitwindow.so;/usr/lib/geany/treebrowser.so;

[printing]
print_cmd=/usr/bin/lpr %f
use_gtk_printing=true
print_line_numbers=true
print_page_numbers=true
print_page_header=true
page_header_basename=false
page_header_datefmt=%c

[VTE]
load_vte=true
emulation=xterm
send_selection_unsafe=false
font=Monospace 10
scroll_on_key=true
scroll_on_out=true
enable_bash_keys=false
ignore_menu_bar_accel=false
follow_path=false
run_in_vte=false
skip_run_script=false
cursor_blinks=false
scrollback_lines=500
shell=/bin/sh
colour_fore=#FFFFFF
colour_back=#000000
last_dir=/root
send_cmd_prefix=
image=

[project]
session_file=
project_file_path=/root/projects

[build-menu]
number_ft_menu_items=0
number_non_ft_menu_items=0
number_exec_menu_items=0
i was trying out the macro and custom command functions and decided to instead put most of the features on the window manager--more versatile that way and you don't have to remember new sets of shortcuts. the menus/submenus plus the terminal shortcuts discussedhere and here eat fewer keys and allow more control, i think.

tallboy, you're more than welcome to help me fork geany. think you can hack its menus? :D

bonus: make the geany pileup code less useless by adding nine jwm root menus

Puppus Dogfellow

another way to launch to vtg

#16 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
[...]
the following guide assumes jwm. you can use rox panels or alter the menu code for other windows managers if you don't have it/prefer not to use it.
another way to activate the line launch function is through aemenu and the following launch command activating the menu that follows it:

#!/bin/sh

#aemenu -rc /root/vtgz
#name mae and place in /root/my-applications/bin/
killall -q aemenu
sleep 0.1s
aemenu -rc /root/vtgz    

cmd " vtg" vtg
menu "defaults/original puppy desktop"
cmd " audiomixer" defaultaudiomixer
cmd " audioplayer" defaultaudioplayer
cmd " browser" defaultbrowser
cmd " calendar" defaultcalendar
cmd " cdplayer" defaultcdplayer
cmd " chat" defaultchat
cmd " chmviewer" defaultchmviewer
cmd " ~ 'Chooser' ~" /usr/bin/defaults-chooser
cmd " connect" defaultconnect
cmd "console" "urxvt"
cmd " contact" defaultcontact
cmd " draw" defaultdraw
cmd " email" defaultemail
cmd " htmleditor" defaulthtmleditor
cmd " htmlviewer" defaulthtmlviewer
cmd " imageviewer" defaultimageviewer
cmd " mediaplayer" defaultmediaplayer
cmd " notecase" notecase
cmd " paint" defaultpaint
cmd "puppy package manager" "ppm"
cmd "puppy control panel" "pcp"
cmd " spreadsheet" defaultspreadsheet
cmd "screen shot" "tas"
cmd " texteditor" defaulttexteditor
cmd " textviewer" defaulttextviewer
cmd " videoplayer" defaultvideoplayer
cmd " wizardwizard" wizardwizard
cmd " wordprocessor" defaultwordprocessor
cmd "Xlock setup" "/usr/local/apps/Xlock/AppRun -configure"
cmd "Xlock lock screen" "/usr/local/apps/Xlock/AppRun -locknow"
end
 menu "rox"
 cmd "rox /" "rox /"
 cmd " ~ ROX-Filer ~" "rox ~"
 cmd " Close All Rox" "cr"
 cmd " rox Recents " "rr"
 cmd " rox Bookmarks" "rb"
 cmd "applications" "rox /usr/share/applications"
 cmd "/etc" "rox /etc"
 cmd "/mnt" "rox /mnt"
 cmd "/mnt/home" "rox /mnt/home"
cmd "my-applications" "rox /root/my-applications/bin"
cmd "my-documents" "rox /root/my-documents"
cmd "rox /tmp" "rox /tmp"
cmd "rox /root/.Trash" "rox /root/.Trash"
end 

menu "launchers and consoles" # beginning of menu
cmd "findnrun" "fnr"
cmd "gexec" "gexec"
cmd "grun" "grun"
cmd "lxterminal" "lxterminal"
 cmd "pexec" "pexec"
cmd "prun" "prun"
cmd "roxterm" "roxterm"
cmd "rxvt" "rxvt"
cmd "sakura" "sakura" # program to launch
cmd "urxvt" "urxvt"
end # end of menu 
menu "supplemental 1" # beginning of menu
cmd "close all desktop instances" "cadi" # program to launch
cmd "close current desktop instances" "ccdi" # program to launch
cmd "partview" "partview" # program to launch
cmd "lxtask" "lxtask" # program to launch
cmd "htop" "htop" # program to launch
cmd "winswitcher" "winswitcher"
cmd "jwm -restart" "jwm -restart"
cmd "5copies" "5copies"
cmd "5copiesDir" "5copiesDir"
cmd "nwp" "wp"
cmd "left full" "b5"
cmd "right full" "b10"
cmd "slocate search all" "slac"
cmd "slocate search limited" "sloc"
cmd "slocate update databases" "sluc"
cmd "spacefm" "spacefm"
end # end of menu 
menu "supplemental 2" # beginning of menu
cmd "chromium" "chromium"
cmd "firefox" "firefox"
cmd "galculator" "galculator"
cmd "gcolor2" "gcolor2"
cmd "gfnrename" "gfnrename"
cmd "gfontsel" "gfontsel"
cmd "goldendict" "goldendict"
cmd "google-chrome" "google-chrome"
cmd "palemoon" "palemoon"
cmd "pfind" "pfind"
cmd "recoll" "recoll"
cmd "xpad-backup" "xpad-backup"
cmd "xpad-clear" "xpad-clear"
cmd "xpad" "xpad"
end # end of menu
 menu "jwm menu maker" # beginning of menu
cmd "jwmxx-leafpad-grab executables" "cd /usr/share/applications; grep Exec= *.desktop | grep -o 'Exec=.*' | cut -f2- -d'=' > /root/my-documents/Text/jwmxx; leafpad /root/my-documents/Text/jwmxx
cmd "jwmxx-geany-grab executables" "cd /usr/share/applications; grep Exec= *.desktop | grep -o 'Exec=.*' | cut -f2- -d'=' > /root/my-documents/Text/jwmxx; geany /root/my-documents/Text/jwmxx
 cmd "make a menu entry" "jwmkr"
cmd "add the menu template" "jwmenuplate"
 menu "ae menu maker"
cmd "ae menu item maker" "aeae"
cmd "ae menu slot maker" "aeaem"
end
end # end of menu
#menu "supplemental 3" # beginning of menu
#end # end of menu
#name vtgz and place in /root to be able to launch it with the mae script above/change location in mae to reflect change in location or title of vtgz
menu also more or less recreates the stock desktop. more on other functionality (menu automation, etc) can be found here and here.

if you're using rox, you can give yourself a keyboard shortcut without actually having to fiddle with a windows manager. just drag the script to the desktop, right click, choose edit, then click the box for set keyboard shortcut. whatever combo you press with be recorded. winkey +l, m,v, or g all sort of make sense...

aemenu as vgt launcher upgraded

Puppus Dogfellow

vgt2: geany plugins plus spell check dictionary, kb config,

#17 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

vgt2

files/folders included (not including the contents of root3 (jwm customizations/spell check dictionary) folder or the four thousand miniscripts in /nwp:
geany.conf keybindings.conf;
directories: geany, plugins, nwp (subdirectory root3 contains jwm stuff), dependencies (xdotool, wmctrl, pexec, dash, gexec--ae menu gets placed in a /bin automatically when you run the set up script.)
ael f np t pwn np2 pxc
aemenu
gnyvgtsetup.readme
gny-vgt-setup
click_this_first (opens the read me, the jwmrc-personal file you may need to alter (if you are using vgt in a way that circumvents jwm, you have no need for it, though the nine root menus do come in handy, and since learning how to do it, i always include at least one one pixel placeholder menu so i can easily access the five mouse buttons. sample trays below)

from the readme:
just automated some of the below, but it's here to show what's going on with the install script (which should've opened up with this along with your jwmrc-personal file). you'll need to include one of the following two lines for the vgt button, the nine other menus (and the tray that holds them), and some programs that call on key presses and menu navigation to accomplish things(though this largely just affects the menus in the dub55 folder, two or three of the shortcut keys in jwmrs2 call upon them). both JWM files should've opened when you clicked the script. jwms leaves more room for your own customizations (these files are largely keyboard shortcuts/key assignments) and jwms2 uses dozens (though virtually none that involve the windows key--you can add hundreds more by using it in combination with others), some of which may override your own so give it a once or twice over before committing to it.

<Include>/nwp/root3/jwms</Include>

<Include>/nwp/root3/jwms2</Include>

both files pointed to also include an

<IconPath>/nwp/root3/icons</IconPath>

line, which will allow you to load your icons (any image files will do) into a folder (/nwp/root3/icons) the machine knows to look in, freeing you from having to enter the full path for it to show on your menus.

the install script is:

cp -f -R geany/ /usr/lib/geany/
cp -f -R   plugins/ /.root/config/geany/
cp -f -R keybindings.conf /root/.config/geany/
cp -f -R geany.conf /root/.config/geany/

cp -f -R  nwp/ /

cp -f -R aemenu /bin/
cp -f np /root/my-applications/bin
cp -f ael /root/my-applications/bin
cp -f pxc /root/my-applications/bin
cp -f f /root/my-applications/bin
cp -f t /root/my-applications/bin

chmod 755 /root/my-applications/bin/pxc np/root/my-applications/bin/ ael/root/my-applications/bin/ aemenu/root/my-applications/bin/

#enter
# jwm -restart
# for the tray to show
it's copying over geany's required plugins, configuration files, the entire nwp folder and its subfolders, the one dependency that isn't a clickable pet, a few helper programs, the required spell check dictionary for geany's plugin, and all the jwm files and then setting the proper permissions. first time i ever made anything like this...(i caution you about this fact again below. it should work--it's mostly just copying stuff for you. i'm sure there's a way (sed?) i could have the machine add the <Include>/nwp/root3/jwms</Include> line automatically, but you may want to get the files on your geany history anyway/modify your own or the incoming customizations. (and the command didn't quite jump off a google search into my brain/fingers).

another thing the includes line is doing is copying over four, one pixel wide trays so you can access the five mouse menu buttons without having to minimize any windows. section looks like this:

<Tray x="200" y="1">
<Spacer width="1" height="1"/>
</Tray>
#t

<Tray x="1" y="200">
</Tray>
#l

<Tray x="-1" y="200">
</Tray>
#r

<!-- <Tray x="200" y="-25">-->
<!-- <Spacer width="1" height="1"/>-->
<!-- this one gives a strip above the lower taskbar (you may need to make it 28 if you want to use it. the one below this commented out tray makes the one pixel strip beneath the lower tray--you can access the the five mouse buttons by placing it anywhere on the lower edge of your screen. the other three uncommented trays do the same for top, left, and right. i personally prefer the show desktop button on the top middle autohidden tray along with the dock. this frees up space on the main tray.
</Tray>-->
<!-- #d-->

<Tray x="200" y="-1">
</Tray>
<!--#d-->

<!-- this and this-->
<!--are comments.
it's a way to toggle stuff on and off. surround text you don't want to affect anything with them.
->

<!--
older:
contents of the click_this_first script:

#!/bin/sh

geany gny-vgt-setup /nwp/root3/jwms /nwp/root3/jwms2 gnyvgtsetup.readme /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal

maybe should've uncommented the jwm -restart line at the end of the install script. i think if you do the click-this-first script and then install the dependencies, it's unnecessary since jwm-restart will have been run by the package manager when it installed the pets. if you don't have the top middle hideaway screen after the dependencies are taken care of and the click-this has been clicked, enter jwm-restart in a terminal or do it through the gui. personally, i think the ten buttons should be reduced to five (6-0. the one pixel border is a whole bunch of instances of buttons 1-5, and alt+0-9 is all ten menus...) and the dock moved to top middle autohidden. (quieter/less blinky and a good location for the clipboard.) you could also move the bottom tray over a pixel to access the wallpaper/mouse buttons.

anyway, this should be the easiest way to get vgt functionality (and then some). here are some of the launcher shortcut functions (terminal, menus, buttons, mouse, keyboard, and launchers should all work together and complement one another...) mentioned in the linked post:

1 single monitor menu
2 double monitor menu
g grid menu
x x axis menu
y y axis menu
w width menu
h height menu
mv move
wn windows menu
mx maximize window
o old windows manipulation menu
s new version of supplemental menus

n is the original nwpus menu, n1 is the full word-processing menu without any of the supplementals. it has n2 and n3 as submenus but gives some prominence to the overall document formatting commands from from n3; n2 is just the highlight and click to apply word processing/html code section, and n3 is the paste and place section of the main (word processing) menu.

it's often quicker to have the machine spit out the tags and leave the placement to you rather than have it auto delete then recreate the the text with the tags in place. the following menu just pastes the beginning and end tags for various formatting functions--it's up to you to paste them and/or follow the instructions that get printed along with them ("instructions" usually something no more than "delete this and put your text here to preserve breaks and spaces. all this other stuff is not visible when the document is viewed in a browser," and frequently something a good deal less.)

all items are set to work on active window.

some other useful pxc shortcuts (enter the bold text in the modified pexec launcher to by-pass the menu popups and enter the commands to their right directly (adapted from the earlier http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 711#846711)):
Quote:

some pxc shortcuts of note:

s# send active window to desktop#
s#s send next clicked window to desktop#
d# go to desktop#
c plus a single letter is normally a close command--cr, close rox; cu, close urxvt terminals; ct, close rxvt Terminal.
pp# --change pinboard
p# --change/toggle four panel set frame (can be altered down to one)
my# --swap out custom jwm configurations
gea3 --edit custom jwm configurations
la, lb, lm ---layer above, below, middle/normal for active window
las,lbs, lms ---layer above, below, middle/normal for selected window
stk, ustk --stick unstick active (add an s for the click to select version)
pv2--partview and rox /mnt
rr --rox recently visited
rb1 --four (iirc) rungs down on the rox bookmarks menu
rup --three rungs up from the bottom of the rox bookmarks menu
wp-- access the nwp area of one of the root menus
w5 --access the quadrants, halves, and wholes area of one of the root (jwm) menus
pcp --access pup control
fnr --find and run
hlx -- htop in an urvxt window and lx task ...
ppm is a built in for package manager (will work without pxc launcher or anything having been symlinked to /root/my-applications/bin)
x# move to # on x-axis (increments of (now) 5)
y# move to # on y-axis (increments of (now) 5)
h# width (increments of 5)
w# width (increments of 5)
rs resize
t terminal (set for my-applications/bin, so launchable from terminal or np/nwp/pxc launcher)
f findandrun (also set for my-apps/bin)
np nwpus launcher2
sd -- speeddials
sdr -- speed dials recent list only
gnysys -- open a slew of config files in geany
3but -- speed dials and a version of winswitcher
ws -- winswitcher (also ctrl plus spacebar).
galc -- galculator
some new launcher commands:
nc: notecase
gd: goldendict
t: terminal (set for rxvt--uncomment your choice)
f: findnrun (default for /nwp/f--change what's commented to change default)
5c: print out the template command for making multiple copies of a file
5cd: print out the template command for making multiple copies of a directory
7c: print out the command for changing permissions of a script to executable (kind of lazy--chmod 755 isn't that involved...).

enter "mbm" in the nwp launcher (or click on that file in /nwp) to get rox bookmarks on the jwm menus
edit: add <Include>/root/places_submenu</Include> to your menu if not using the root menus from /nwp/ninemenus55 or /nwp/ninemenusblanks (they're just relatively blank). function/script courtesy of MochiMoppel. to change the location of the file it creates, enter geany /nwp/mbm into the terminal (or send it through the vgt after pasting the line to your scrap file, notes file, and/or,etc.), alter the second line, and change the includes line to match. restart or reload jwm to see the menu the script creates from the file it generates.

1g0-1g30 grid out the screen. first number is down the y axis in steps of 100, starting with 0; second number is x axis divided by 100. select versions replace the g with an s: 1g0 is upper left corner, 7s20 sends the next thing clicked to 600y, 2000x. increments of 100 for the grid, 10 for movement along x and y axes, 5 for height and width though square presets (bare #) are by tens.

add an s to make the code work on a window to be clicked rather than the active one (examples: x440, y750s, w435, h1275s)

anyway, this should be the easiest way to get these features. a couple of clicks and a couple of highlight and pastes. a control esse or two...

enjoy, critique, improve the install script? i plan on using it on my next fresh install, which i should be able to get to in a few days. in the meantime, it's all tested and working except for the install script (gny-vgt-setup, though mockups of the individual parts were tested), so test away (preferably on pfix=ram setups).

enjoy.

:D

______

here's an improved launcher based on pexec.

and here's a pet forgeany 1.24.1if you want/need it (thanks to slavvo and tested in precise and slacko).

Puppus Dogfellow

networking through the vtg

#18 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

new section for the/a vtg help/scrap file:
networking: (ctrl+f if the file's long and this not in an easy to spot spot. add a z if you have too many "networking" entries in the vtg scrap file...)

ifconfig; rox /; xdotool type '`'; xdotool sleep .4 type 'python -m SimpleHTTPServerWithUpload'; xdotool sleep .3 key Return #enter http://[the wlan inet address that printed out in terminal window (i.e. ctrl 7, terminal tab has the info)]:8000 in the address bar in the client machine's browser to upload and download to the server (address will look something like "192.168.1.2"). if you want to share something more specific than the entire file tree and your machine is lagging behind, increase the sleep time. if it seems to be delaying for no reason, reduce it. this was set on a 1 gig dell netbook running precise 571.) in short and without the "inet addr:" (once you know it, no need to get the virtual terminal involved at all. "inet addr:"--is how the terminal prints it out/what you should be looking for):

rox /; xdotool type '`'; xdotool sleep .4 type 'python -m SimpleHTTPServerWithUpload'; xdotool sleep .3 key Return
# replace "/" with the directory and subs you want the other machines on your network to be able to upload to/download from.

store the addresses/launch the client-browser:

http://:8000 # computer 1
http://:8000 # computer 2
http://:8000 # computer 3
http://:8000 # computer 4

http://(paste_inet_number_here):8000

open with the browser of your choice:

dillo http://(inet-number-here):8000 # ex 1
firefox http://(inet-number-here):8000 # ex 2
google-chrome http://(inet-number-here):8000 # ex 3
palemoon http://(inet-number-here):8000 # ex 4
chromium http://(inet-number-here):8000 # ex 5

ex:
on server:

ifconfig; rox /root/my-documents; xdotool type '`'; xdotool sleep .4 type 'python -m SimpleHTTPServerWithUpload'; xdotool sleep .3 key Return

on on client:
dillo http://192.168.1.2:8000
---

if you have a multi tabbed terminal, you can run the commands inside a tab, then terminate by closing the tab--no need for rox (i've only been able to get the multi tabbed vte that comes with geany to work in 64 bit--don't recall actively trying to, so it may be a plugin that's exclusively part of 64 bit package of some sort). to run it in without rox, ditch the xdotool bits and change rox to "cd"--this will just make the terminal/terminal tab act as the terminal the grave/tilda (`/~) key would call up inside a rox window (i.e. no need to change directory since you're already there with the first rox command and no need to use rox to open and close the pathway to the machine with the tabbed terminal since just closing the tab from which you launched the command closes the gate). in other words, since geany's (usual) vte holds the terminal hostage while the gateway is open under the cd version of the command, it is better to use rox folders and their called terminals to run it unless you have one of the rare multi-tabbed vte/vtg's/it seems things go more smoothly with the rox version of the command although the cd version is actually more direct/shorter:

ifconfig; cd /path/to/clientdirectory; python -m SimpleHTTPServerWithUpload
it takes over the terminal window/tab , but you wouldn't need to call xdotool

dependencies/original thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 132#415132

on my precise 571 i needed to use Python-2.7.2-i486.pet--neither the lucid python dependency nor the 2.7 python dependency (which worked in various precise 571/2 spins) was able to run the Simple..Server.. command.

-----------
and here's a pet forgeany 1.24.1if you want/need it (thanks to slavvo and tested in precise and slacko).

plugins plus geany 1.25 by corvus

tallboy

#19 Post by tallboy »

Oh yippee! Sorry, but I don't need many additions to my puppys, as a matter of fact I always try to shrink them. I have never seen any reason for geany to be the hingepin in a wheel of functions, so while I respect your creativity, I respectfully decline the invitation to join the party.

tallboy

Puppus Dogfellow

#20 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

tallboy wrote:
Oh yippee! Sorry, but I don't need many additions to my puppys, as a matter of fact I always try to shrink them. I have never seen any reason for geany to be the hingepin in a wheel of functions, so while I respect your creativity, I respectfully decline the invitation to join the party.

tallboy
while no case can be made for the nine additional menus actually shrinking puppy, they add a negligible bit of bytes. having gotten used to having them, i'm now rather dependent on them and feel any pup without them is crippled and in need of these textual prostheses. not having something useful pop up with every mouse press or scroll on a blank spot of real estate? what a waste and what an inconvenience--i press left, i get almost everything i want...middle is some of the stuff i forgot to include, right is original plus some stuff i think it should have (the vgt button, word processing functions, rox bookmarks, a menu consisting of all the other menus plus show desktop, since i got rid of it to make space on the main tray...also, who needs that menu button for left click when now i have five for the device...). everything within reach yet completely out of the way. not trying to sell it, don't care who uses it, merely developed it to my tastes and made it public because that's the linux way. or the puppy way. or the murga way. in some way, it seemed like the thing to do. also, it's convenient for when i want to grab or find things i've found helpful in the past, which brings me to the next point:
I have never seen any reason for geany to be the hingepin in a wheel of functions, so while I respect your creativity, I respectfully decline the invitation to join the party.
i respectfully acknowledge and accept your respectfully delivered decision, but you, tallboy, are from what i gather somewhat of an old hand at this. i'd be somewhat surprised if i had anything to offer someone with as much experience as you, although i humbly thank you for the compliment with regards to my creativity. truth is, until i found rcrsn's script, or until it was pointed out to me (can't remember which at the moment), networking under linux made me somewhat queasy, or at least uncomfortable to the point that i avoided it beyond what i could accomplish through cloud services and Teamviewer. this is much faster and resource friendly, and the storing of the codes in a file i access with alt+g (alterable by changing some text, something that pops up as one of the geany pile up files--jwmrc-personal is a good file to have access to if you want to customize a stock puppy) makes it convenient. so while it may seem like i'm engaging in an exercise of bloat-the-genie, i'm just adding to something that's making my life easier, so to speak. it makes it easier and faster to get things done. for me and in my experience. who wants to use it, change it, avoid it--this doesn't concern me. geany is almost as light and quick as a terminal, and people use terminal based editors, so what i'm doing here doesn't strike me as that off the wall. i like it as a text editor/word-processor (limited, yes, but tabbed and just about the fastest around--also syncs through files in cloud service folders better than anything else i've tried), but i'm slowly (as in newby to linux/maybe second year of not being uncomfortable with the terminal) appreciating command line and this is a really good way to keep track of it, see what you are sending, etc. it's certainly better for that purpose than the scroll back function the up arrow gives, especially when it comes to finding and reusing something.

if some of the code i have down is wrong or doesn't work or it could be done in a better way, it would be nice to know, though. so far, it's there because it's worked for me, helped me out with something, or i can conceive of some situation where this bit of text or that can or will be useful or part of something useful.

--darren

somewhat coincidentally, i was considering adding to that same geany pile up code. i wanted to add the rox template stuff--adding to the right click > new menu saves time and effort. copying a text file would be quicker than manually hunting down templates/files and drag-dropping them. kind of lost momentum...i think i just wanted to find it easily--i made a xz folder of the six or so files i want as templates...two just to see what they do...