Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 23 Oct 2018, 12:40
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Some Keyboard Keys Switched Around
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
nickjacket

PostPosted: Fri 15 Dec 2006, 14:27    Post subject:  Some Keyboard Keys Switched Around
Subject description: v2.12_CD-Boot_Toshiba Laptop-Sat-P25-S5092

My puppy version is from puppy-2.12-seamonkey-zdrv.iso .

All is going pretty good with my newbie puppy cd making and booting v2.12 except:

* I used various setups during install and usage to tell puppy OS that I'm using a US keyboard or a qwerty keyboard and other variants only to get switched key characters.

* Most keys on my keyboard are okay with LC & UC characters except some, like period is swapped with another key that I can't use right now [:] = [.] and all the number keys are switched unless I use Shift key then they're perfect.

Is there any way I can map out my own keyboard without making choices in setups that don't work right? Is there an easier solution?
nickjacket

PostPosted: Fri 15 Dec 2006, 18:11    Post subject:  

nevermind...

after monitoring this site for half a day and seeing Replies:0
I opened the keyboard layouts as text and starting in on 'em till they cooperated.

first, I made copies of the file and the include file(s) then i changed things around... actually removed alt=meta from the us-qwerty file
and at least, now the Mouse/Keyboard Wizard lists my keyboard as TOSH instead of some benign name that it came with.

Now on to more important subjects...
Finding out why when i'm browsing, that there's this 3 second delay for when the browser starts kachunking in data...

i know.. just start hacking on it!
wireddad

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2006, 11:29    Post subject:  

I am having the same problem with a Toshiba Sat 315CDS. Where is this file you speak of. Please educate me on ow to fix this. Thanks.
nickjacket

PostPosted: Tue 19 Dec 2006, 19:55    Post subject:  

wireddad,

If you have a similar key swap problem with the Q and the A keys
then maybe my fix will work for you.

1. Open HOME icon on desktop. Press ^ the up directory path button once ( Thumbs ). Open 'usr' folder. Open 'share' folder. Open 'kbd' folder. Open 'keymaps' folder. Open 'i386' folder.

2. In here, locate the 'qwerty' folder if this is the type of keyboard you have chosen (like I have). Right-click on 'us.map' (if this is the one you've used) and choose Copy. In the pre-highlighted copied name, say 'TOSH' so the file can then be Saved as 'TOSH.map' by you.
Right click it on your newly renamed 'TOSH.map' file and choose 'Open As Text' from the pulldown.
The first 8 lines look like this:
# us.map
keymaps 0-2,4-6,8-9,12
alt_is_meta
include "qwerty-layout"
include "linux-with-alt-and-altgr"
include "compose.latin1"
include "euro1.map"
strings as usual

3. The first line is commented with a '#' character. This line has the file name, so rename this commented line 'TOSH.map' just for consistency.
Put a '#' character in front of every line except the one shown and alter the filename of the only include to "TOSHqwerty" so the result looks like this:
# TOSH.map
# keymaps 0-2,4-6,8-9,12
# alt_is_meta
include "TOSHqwerty"
# include "linux-with-alt-and-altgr"
# include "compose.latin1"
# include "euro1.map"
strings as usual

4. Save and navigate the directory up one, to open the 'include' folder. Open As Text, the 'qwerty-layout.inc' file.
Scroll all the way down to the instruction that says ' include "compose" '.

5. Put a '#' comment character to the left of the line so it looks like:
' #include "compose" '

6. Don't Save but instead pulldown File to Save As:
' TOSHqwerty.inc ' making sure afterwards it has Saved into the include folder that has the old named file also.

7. Close the text editor (Geany) and all of the navigated windows after confirming the existence of 'TOSH.map' file in the qwerty folder and also 'TOSHqwerty.inc' in the include folder.

8. Go to the Mouse/keyboard wizard in Setup to choose 'Keyboard Layout for you country' and select your new TOSH qwerty keyboard choice and test it.

My wizard says that my new choice becomes active after pressing OK but this has never worked so I have to press OK and then choose Shut Down - Reboot Computer for the new choice to activate.

If you're booting from a CD like I am, maybe you'll want to backup your puppysave file before mods, just in case yours locks up. My Toshiba has consistently worked after the above mod plus my external USB keyboard works too. During experimentation my Toshiba never locked up or went weird so I lucked out.

Let me know how it went.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: