How YOU Can Promote Puppy

Promote Puppy !
as77

#81 Post by as77 »

Now that I found the layman-friendly Windows installers, on every local forum I recommend Puppy to be added to XP-machines. (Instead of buying a new OS or even a new pc)

https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux ... _Installer

TheWarpedWizard

#82 Post by TheWarpedWizard »

I introduced Linux Puppy to some people at my high school, and now they use it by booting it from a USB on the school computers.
They said they thought that Puppy was 'pretty cool', but they mainly have it as it means that when they use it on the school computers, the school can't see what they're doing- as in, they can play games and watch videos on YouTube without restrictions.
I think I did wrong... :(

slavvo67

#83 Post by slavvo67 »

Well, you didn't do wrong. You can't control the misuse by others. Let's look at this in another light.... If you were a car salesman and sold a car to someone that went out and ran people over .. would you feel responsible for that? Of course, not!

That being said, Puppy might not be the best option for schools unless it has some restrictions built into it (like access to internet only and specific websites only).

In fact, Puppy can be a very dangerous tool in the wrong hands but so can many things.

neerajkolte

#84 Post by neerajkolte »

Hi TheWarpedWizard,
I am no expert but can't the school place restrictions at router level, my work network uses 'websence' also all my work pcs are having password protected bios so I can't boot from usb or cd.

thanks
-Neeraj
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

Moose On The Loose

My Wife / Husband / Kid / Parent uses it

#85 Post by Moose On The Loose »

The basic idea is that you don't say you use it but rather say that someone else, ideally not noted for computer skill, uses it.

One of the biggest barriers to getting people to use Linux is the idea that it is hard to use. A story like "I let my mom use my lap top while I took her Win-7 machine down to the computer repair shop. I just showed her how to get to her email and left. When I came home she was playing some really silly cat videos." works because you aren't coming at the issue directly but rather via a story. Make sure the story is true(ish).

Pelo

Facebook is a way to promote Puppy, insn't it ?

#86 Post by Pelo »

Linux is easy in english ! yes, it'is.
If you go on holiday in algeria with yr car, try to explain in algerian what is wrong. You will then understand, dear English native people what is the poorness of help when using Linux.
And when you go on english forum, they tell you (in english please... )
I had to practice english with my job, so i manage to explain, but i can tell you that 90% of french are so bad in english as you are in French. So Windows is the easy way, and not too expensive? if you take account of waste time.... :D
And all the measures inches, pounds, : we must translate them to get an idea.
My God, how big is our love to Puppy to go on using it ! :roll: Chapeau à tous les français !

Moose On The Loose

Re: Facebook is a way to promote Puppy, insn't it ?

#87 Post by Moose On The Loose »

Pelo wrote:Linux is easy in english ! yes, it'is.
If you go on holiday in algeria with yr car, try to explain in algerian what is wrong. You will then understand, dear English native people what is the poorness of help when using Linux.
And when you go on english forum, they tell you (in english please... )
I had to practice english with my job, so i manage to explain, but i can tell you that 90% of french are so bad in english as you are in French. So Windows is the easy way, and not too expensive? if you take account of waste time.... :D
And all the measures inches, pounds, : we must translate them to get an idea.
My God, how big is our love to Puppy to go on using it ! :roll: Chapeau à tous les français !
Since I only speak English, I can't have a non-english experience of software. However, I do have another experience that some may find helpful in thinking about how to make software easier to use.

There was a ship out in the ocean with a computer on it. We had 2 way audio only communications with it. The computer ran Windows and there was a problem. The software simply would not start. A double click did nothing. The person on the ship knew very little about computers.

Just try to trouble shoot a problem in that situation. Getting the person on the ship to do even simple things by describing pointing and clicking is really hard. It is a strong argument for making "how to" videos and including them on the machine in question.

Mike Walsh

#88 Post by Mike Walsh »

I'm a regular on the Ubuntu Forums. I've been playing around with Puppy for a few months now, but since I discovered 'Tahrpup' about a month ago, I've been mentioning it at every opportunity!

Needless to say, the response has been.....cool, would be the polite way of putting it. 'Frosty' might be more to the point..... They do tend to regard Ubuntu as one of the grand old men of Linux, and rather look down on everything else!

They only distro that's held in any respect is Debian...

Regards,

Mike.

starhawk

#89 Post by starhawk »

Off-topic: Mike, I *loved* the grinning dog avatar. Made me chuckle every time I saw it. I wish you hadn't changed it!

bpejinov

TahrPup-Wallpapers

#90 Post by bpejinov »

Thanks..Thanks..My TahhrPup Wallpapers:
http://my.desktopnexus.com/biciEL/uploads/

Mike Walsh

#91 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hey, Starhawk!

Just for you, mate:

<------------------------<<

Enjoy!

Regards,

Mike.

starhawk

#92 Post by starhawk »

:shock: :) :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks! I needed a grin and chuckle today...

Pelo

vote for Puppies in Amazon web site.

#93 Post by Pelo »

vote for Puppies in Amazon web site.
Attachments
cd puppies.jpg
(22.85 KiB) Downloaded 903 times
amazon.jpg
(32.65 KiB) Downloaded 842 times

jestoy0514

Sharing Puppy

#94 Post by jestoy0514 »

About a month ago, I tried to make puppy linux using woof-ce and luckily I made a usable one with ubuntu precise compatible puppy. I put in a usb flash drive and handed over it to my niece and she likes it and she is now using it for her daily internet surfing. She was amaze with the speed considering that she is using a usb and not her netbook hard drive. I was planning on purchasing some cds and put puppy linux in it and share it with my friends and collegue.

Pelo

use puplets from different coutries

#95 Post by Pelo »

Improve yor scholar knowledge by using french, snapnish, italian, russiaan, japanese puplets in their local version.
you will progress a lot, without boring lessons
I'am using Pupjibaro and puppy night es de habla iberica.
Ustedes pueden traer la Triton precise de petihar,
Or Macis from China !
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 23 Jun 2016, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.

caiosama

#96 Post by caiosama »

My way to promote Puppy.

They Always ask me "What is Puppy..... Linux?" :D
Attachments
20150501_160310.jpg
(164.12 KiB) Downloaded 679 times
[i]Pupjibaro 1.0.4 2015 / LxpupTahr 15.05.2 - Live USB - Dell D630
Precise 5.7.1 - Full installation - Asus EeePC 701 4G (2 GB RAM)
Carolina Vanguard Frugal /Arch Linux Antergos - Lenovo G4070[/i]

starhawk

#97 Post by starhawk »

Where did you get that shirt??? Seriously, I want one too!

nancy reagan

promoting puppy the easy (effective ?) way

#98 Post by nancy reagan »

I think I am promoting Puppy by daily going passed Distrowatch - with a clean cache (so they do not think I keep ticking) - and click Puppy (atm 14th and going down ...).

Besides I think they spoiled the (front ?) page of derivates, where they all were showed with their desktop/homepage. About 10 at a page. Better showing off than a sequential order of titles.

gcmartin

#99 Post by gcmartin »

One of the questions posed by the author in the opening post, asks: "What else can we do to promote Puppy?"

How many of us have thought about the many things that PUPPY does today that was unheard of when this post started?

Puppy really does have some modern items which I feel would be attractions to experienced, new to Linux users of 2015.

Unfortunately, we don't have a current means to show this in an easy to see view of PUPPY's functionality. And, certainly, we don't present what really sets PUPPY apart (it not just our size which someone coming to Puppyland with a 2GB RAM PC doesn't cares about...certainly not a Mac/Windows user). Functionality is what needs to begin to express why one would want to use Puppy!

Once connected to the forum, there is possibly a need for an easy to find webpage showing all the differing versions, built or remastered, in such a way as any user can choose the specific PUP which provides the usefulness he seeks in a stable PC OS. PUPPY's current forum software make make finding this easy, but if not, maybe the PUPPY Forum backup site is the place where this could be housed to be kept current.

Its an idea/concept to consider to address the question originally asked. As such, DistroWatch might be useful when users use it in search for a Linux variant ... should such a central selection page be available.

I think there will be some renewed interest in Linux after Windows10 releases to the public. But, we will need to make the offerings of Puppy easy to understand and select, to stop the slide. For 60 days or so after that, we can expect the onslaught. There is going to be new Hardware, new Laptops, new Tablets, new boxes without monitors, and new architectures which is going to capture public's attentions in the fall.

Again, it just one concept to consider. There are others.

caiosama

#100 Post by caiosama »

starhawk wrote:Where did you get that shirt??? Seriously, I want one too!
I made it here in Chile http://www.asuntopolera.com/ and i took the idea from here:

http://www.cafepress.com/+puppy-linux+t-shirts

Hope that im not breaking any copyright law of the Puppy logo :shock:

If you want one, i can make more shirts, i guess :)
[i]Pupjibaro 1.0.4 2015 / LxpupTahr 15.05.2 - Live USB - Dell D630
Precise 5.7.1 - Full installation - Asus EeePC 701 4G (2 GB RAM)
Carolina Vanguard Frugal /Arch Linux Antergos - Lenovo G4070[/i]