The Curious Case Of The Disappearing Volume Control...

Using applications, configuring, problems
Mike Walsh

The Curious Case Of The Disappearing Volume Control...

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening all.

The title says it all, really. I've just done a fresh frugal install to hard drive of Slacko 5.9.3, alongside my other four 'Pups'.

As part of my setting everything up, I always 'tweak' the volume icon in the tray. I change 'linear' to 'logarithmic' (I get a better response from it that way); I make the scale a lot larger, both in in width as well as height; i make the individual bars on the scale somewhat narrower.....and I alter the colours.

This is standard practice for me with every one of my Pups. Having gone through the procedure today, I hit 'OK' to finish up.....and it's disappeared, I know not where.

Restarting X and/or JWM doesn't bring it back. Retrovol is installed in 593...but doesn't appear to actually work. Normally I can bring up the Retrovol config window by using the executable in /usr/bin, and in fact, I usually have this on my desktop for easy access, tarted up with a fancy icon. Again, it's not doing anything..

The only way, currently, that I can adjust the volume is by bringing up the Alsa sound mixer via the Setup menu.....but this is an awkward way of doing things. Could this be why Retrovol's not working.....because Alsa appears to be in charge? I really like the 'Slacko's'; I don't want to re-install, or scrap it, just for the sake of a volume icon!

Would anybody have any bright ideas as to what's happened? Any ideas would be appreciated; I've exhausted my admittedly meagre store of 'tricks' (which normally stand me in good stead).....

Regards,

Mike. :?
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Fri 19 Jun 2015, 20:13, edited 1 time in total.

8Geee

#2 Post by 8Geee »

It could very well be the reason ALSA over RETROVOL. I have the same thing in Slacko 5.7. Its awkward once. But since you have other puppies installed, its awkward every time you boot-up.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

OscarTalks

#3 Post by OscarTalks »

Sometimes Retrovol goes a bit wonky when you are trying to set it up.
Try deleting the hidden config file /root/.retrovolrc and reboot.
Obviously you will then need to try doing the settings again.
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

OscarTalks wrote:Sometimes Retrovol goes a bit wonky when you are trying to set it up.
Try deleting the hidden config file /root/.retrovolrc and reboot.
Obviously you will then need to try doing the settings again.
Many thanks, Oscar. That's fixed it.

Yet another little trick to add to my arsenal... I shall have to remember that one. Cheers! :D

Regards,

Mike.