mega.nz: 15 free gigs of cloud-syncable storage

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
headfound

#21 Post by headfound »

He has been convicted of fraud and embezzlement and that was before he started megaupload etc. I'm not saying the big multinationals are any more trustworthy though. The only way to be sure is to encrypt anything before storing it.
Download a better Computer :)
[url=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rDTLJYDHX3g]Puppy Linux Song[/url]
[url=http://www.letterbyletter.co.uk]www.letterbyletter.co.uk[/url]

iasimo

#22 Post by iasimo »

Hi Puppus, thanks for the help and sorry for the delay of my answer.
I spent a time to try all your suggestions, but without success... I tried a fresh Puppy Precise install with all update... installed your packages, checked and satisfied all dependencies... nothing. Still the same error:

# megasync
megasync: /lib/libc.so.6: version 'GLIBC_2.17' not found (required by /usr/lib/libcares.so.2)

so I googled GLIBC_2.17... and I find this link:
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/searc ... tem=&arch=

but I don't know what to do/use...

sorry but I'm still in trouble with it
:(

Puppus Dogfellow

#23 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

iasimo wrote:Hi Puppus, thanks for the help and sorry for the delay of my answer.
I spent a time to try all your suggestions, but without success... I tried a fresh Puppy Precise install with all update... installed your packages, checked and satisfied all dependencies... nothing. Still the same error:

# megasync
megasync: /lib/libc.so.6: version 'GLIBC_2.17' not found (required by /usr/lib/libcares.so.2)

so I googled GLIBC_2.17... and I find this link:
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/searc ... tem=&arch=

but I don't know what to do/use...

sorry but I'm still in trouble with it
:(
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 989#806989

battleshooter outlines a method of upgrading that whole mess--not sure if it'll help or if it's something you'd want to get involved with, but short of trying another distro, it's the only suggestion i have. i'm trying to remember what i may have added to my precise 571/572s that may explain the different results from what you are seeing, but...

:?

Puppus Dogfellow

#24 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

anyone able to get this thing working in fatdog?

Puppus Dogfellow

working in Quirky 7.0.4.1-64 bit

#25 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

megasync--Quirky 7.0.4.1.-64bit

libcares2-1.9.1-72.1.x86_64.rpm
megasync-xUbuntu_14.04_amd64.deb

in linked folder.

gcmartin

#26 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Puppus Dogfellow. I think I understand why you chose the link in the prior thread, but someone may know the answer to my question.

Questions to anyone regarding "Mega.nz" services
  • For large files, is there a way to use wget for downloads from them?
  • For picture/images such as .png/.jpg/etc. is there a way to directly link them in a document or as an image in a Puppy forum page?
Thanks in advance for "words of wisdom"

Puppus Dogfellow

#27 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

gcmartin wrote:Hello @Puppus Dogfellow. I think I understand why you chose the link in the prior thread, but someone may know the answer to my question.

Questions to anyone regarding "Mega.nz" services
  • For large files, is there a way to use wget for download from them?
  • For picture/images such as .png/.jpg/etc. is there a way to directly link them in a document or as an image in a forum page?
Thanks in advance for "words of wisdom"
so far i've just used it for storage but stemsee made a pet of a suite of (at least largely, if i'm remembering the post/announcement correctly) preexisting utilities for it (there's also some python stuff for dropbox i can remember being mentioned along these lines). i'm pretty sure wget would be able to grab a file it had permission to grab--i think that's how stemsee's been releasing his iso's lately--you could test it with one of those.

without looking into the documentation on the website, i'd say if it can act like a photobucket it's not as readily apparent as its spideroak/adrive/googledrive/dropbox side. it's quick, it appears to be as reliable as dropbox (though i don't rely on it as much as i do dropbox--habit more than anything), and it's 50 free gigs that sync without a hassle (unlike ADrive) or being illusory (google's syncing i think was mostly links--i could never get the hacks to work right in any case). google's not bad for cloud storage--it's fast and 95 gigs for 20 bucks a year is still better than most. chrome in april is working well, they apparently now have lifetime photo storage or something, and i think soon browsers will get a little more seamless in how they link and drag pics. anyway, solid so far in april, didn't work out in precise 5.5., works well in precise 5.7.1, though some apparently weren't able to get it to run. once it runs, it's fine. :?

check it out, gc.

ADrive is also fifty free gigs, but the desktop syncing isn't as integrated/appears to be more command line. you can check out that one as well, maybe make a few how tos for it.
:D

version2013

Terms of Service

#28 Post by version2013 »

Mega's Terms of Service
https://mega.co.nz/#register

"...

Your data

5 If you allow others to access your data (e.g. by, amongst other things, giving them a link to, and a key to decrypt, that data), in addition to them accepting these terms, you are responsible for their actions and omissions while they are using the website and services and you agree to fully indemnify us for any claim, loss, damage, fine, costs (including our legal fees) and other liability if they breach any of these terms.

..."

So if someone decides to cause harm to their website/service and they just so happened to download a harmless file that I uploaded, I would be on the hook legally and financially for their actions?

I was considering signing up for their service until I read that part of the Terms.

Does anyone have any thoughts on their Terms of Service?

Puppus Dogfellow

Re: Terms of Service

#29 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

version2013 wrote:Mega's Terms of Service
https://mega.co.nz/#register

"...

Your data

5 If you allow others to access your data (e.g. by, amongst other things, giving them a link to, and a key to decrypt, that data), in addition to them accepting these terms, you are responsible for their actions and omissions while they are using the website and services and you agree to fully indemnify us for any claim, loss, damage, fine, costs (including our legal fees) and other liability if they breach any of these terms.

..."

So if someone decides to cause harm to their website/service and they just so happened to download a harmless file that I uploaded, I would be on the hook legally and financially for their actions?

I was considering signing up for their service until I read that part of the Terms.

Does anyone have any thoughts on their Terms of Service?
it seems to be a crippled form of "any ill you do is your fault, not ours; if you allow someone to do ill through your account, still your fault, not ours."

anything beyond that seems in bad faith and unenforceable. i think it's more or less a standard legalese let's-cover-our-asses disclaimer, but they do seem to be an embroiled lot--maybe keep precious data away from them for that reason alone.

for my part, it's working well, and 50 gigs is almost problematically generous--i got careless and i think i dumped my copy account into my mega account--went from 2 to nine gig and deleting five gig from the folder didn't delete it on all machines--kind of annoying....

so that's my product review and two cents. nothing seems to work as well as dropbox, this seems quicker than copy, spideroak has improved but i haven't done much testing--first impressions, it's faster and more versatile than it was--still seems more resource hungry and slower than dropbox or mega. quicker than copy, though (which, for its part, has been reliable on every machine i've used it on--slacko64, precise5.5, precise 571, 561...)

they all seem worth having.
:?

sorry for the late response.

bark_bark_bark

#30 Post by bark_bark_bark »

The only real problem with Mega is that it is partially controlled by the New Zealand government, which is one of the five eyes.

Puppus Dogfellow

megasync-Debian_7.0_amd64.deb works in Slacko64 6.3.0

#31 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

megasync-Debian_7.0_amd64.deb
megasync-Debian_7.0_i386.deb

megasync-Debian_7.0_amd64.deb works in in Slacko64 6.3.0. i'm not sure if it needs any dependencies as i'm not on a vanilla install, but i uploaded the slackware-listed deps (c-ares and cryptopp) i didn't need.

the 32 bit package for slackware is apparently based on the above i386.deb.

Puppus Dogfellow

#32 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:megasync-precise.tar.gz

https://mega.nz/

files in compressed folder:

megasync-xUbuntu_12.04_i386.deb
libc-ares2_1.10.0-2_i386.deb
libicu48_4.8.1.1-3ubuntu0.1_i386.deb

so far only tested in Precise 5.5, Precise 5.7.1, and ~572. other distros may not need the two dependencies.

edit: also works in Tahr Pup.
with the two dependencies, the above also works in unicorn pup (the 14.10/unicorn.deb from mega didn't).

Pelo

precise-Upup383CsDos 445Mb stored there

#33 Post by Pelo »

precise-Upup383CsDos…4NovV2.iso downloading from Mega.nz 617KB/second
I was proposed as alternative to transfer to my cloud Drive. Not tried

Puppus Dogfellow

#34 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:megasync-precise.tar.gz

https://mega.nz/

files in compressed folder:

megasync-xUbuntu_12.04_i386.deb
libc-ares2_1.10.0-2_i386.deb
libicu48_4.8.1.1-3ubuntu0.1_i386.deb

so far only tested in Precise 5.5, Precise 5.7.1, and ~572. other distros may not need the two dependencies.

edit: also works in Tahr Pup.
with the two dependencies, the above also works in unicorn pup (the 14.10/unicorn.deb from mega didn't).
package also works in Xenialpup (the 16/Xenial version didn't), but i think i may have included it two or three times in the original (as compressed, unpacked, and possibly also as a pet), so here's a version that's more streamlined (it's also an unpack and click (aside from the three okays you need to click) install).

nilsonmorales

#35 Post by nilsonmorales »

[b][url=http://nilsonmorales.blogspot.com/]My blog |[/url][/b][b][url=https://github.com/woofshahenzup]| Github[/url][/b]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/5tz5vrrX/imag018la6.gif[/img]
[img]http://s5.postimg.org/7h2fid8pz/botones_logos3.png[/img]

Puppus Dogfellow

#36 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

haven't tried it yet but it looks cool.

Puppus Dogfellow

#37 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

megatahr64.sfs
megatahr64.pet
megatahr64.tar.xz

versions for tahr64 contain/are made from: libc-ares2_1.7.5-1_amd64.deb, libcrypto++9_5.6.1-5build1_amd64.deb, and megasync-xUbuntu_14.04_amd64.deb.

Pelo

megatools pet provided by Nilson Morales dowloading.

#38 Post by Pelo »

megatools pet provided by Nilson Morales downloading.

In fact i was searching a topic about Google Drive. There are none, are they ? ISO stored on Google Drive can be linked between accounts. PRER iso is now down-loadable from my account too, thanks to the link.
I don't know if that information has some interest for you. Info is given.
I did not know where to post it. I don't want to create a topic Google Drive myself, because i will hardly answer questions about it.
Ninotix account shared

Puppus Dogfellow

tahr and xenial 64 bit megasync failure

#39 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Pelo wrote:megatools pet provided by Nilson Morales downloading.

In fact i was searching a topic about Google Drive. There are none, are they ? ISO stored on Google Drive can be linked between accounts. PRER iso is now down-loadable from my account too, thanks to the link.
I don't know if that information has some interest for you. Info is given.
I did not know where to post it. I don't want to create a topic Google Drive myself, because i will hardly answer questions about it.
Ninotix account shared

if you choose to publicly mirror a file on your google drive, it will be available to others even if the original is deleted, but i believe it counts towards your quota if you do so (this is based on the fact i've mirrored links deleted by the original user this way, and have myself received the message "still available to others" when i delete stuff; it's not based on any documentation i've read anywhere. it's also only my guess as to what you're talking about, though now i think you were just offering a tip?).

somewhat related to this, early on when i first started my repo, i got a request to stop sharing stuff from someone who was in all ways unknown to me--i'm not sure what he was talking about, but there may be some overly convenient way to add bits of other people's Google Drive to your own (i ignored the email and regard the problem as having taken care of itself).

so to maybe get a bit more back on topic, megasync in 64 bit tahr and xenial isn't working out for me as well as i'd hoped, but when i link back to this thread (should a decent solution present itself), i could quote the bonus bits (should they come to be) as possibly useful info relating to Google Drive based repos/cloud work (to take it back off topic, or on topic to your off topic).

that's about all i know about it. any tips for consolidating redundant links? (i know they're out there--meant to click the link containing the info last time i came across it but i started yawning too much--not sure why).

so, do you happen to have a version of megasync consistently working in xenial or tahr 64 bit? i failed one for one in xenial64 (different packages/combos than above so never offered (many failures, one installation)) and had initial success in tahr 64 but can't replicate it--fails for me utterly now. not sure what was done differently...change in order of unrelated packages broke something maybe?

anyway,
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:megatahr64.sfs
megatahr64.pet
megatahr64.tar.xz

versions for tahr64 contain/are made from: libc-ares2_1.7.5-1_amd64.deb, libcrypto++9_5.6.1-5build1_amd64.deb, and megasync-xUbuntu_14.04_amd64.deb.
may not work in your tahr64 installation. and if you've got a google drive, you needn't download first and then upload to add stuff from another's to your own (i think the option's an upper right hand pull-down menu item--add to drive).

Puppus Dogfellow

tahr64 package works in Xenialpup64 CE 7.5 (failed in an

#40 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote: [...]
do you happen to have a version of megasync consistently working in xenial or tahr 64 bit? i failed one for one in xenial64 (different packages/combos than above so never offered (many failures, one installation)) and had initial success in tahr 64 but can't replicate it--fails for me utterly now. not sure what was done differently...change in order of unrelated packages broke something maybe?

anyway,
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:megatahr64.sfs
megatahr64.pet
megatahr64.tar.xz

may not work in your tahr64 installation.[...].
works for me two for two (same system, two installations) in xenialpup64 7.5.

a new round of tahr64 installations was four for four (three systems), but i've since done something to a 2006 gateway desktop that's killed both megasync and recoll for me (both give zlib__ missing symbol errors (or something similar) that i can't find fixes or packages for).

so more success this time: megatahr64.pet appears to work without issue in Xenialpup64. 7.5, and there's a good shot that will also be the case in tahrpup64. (though only tried it so far the older tahr64 605).

a tip (and why i thought one earlier installation was broken when it wasn't)--don't lose your password. resetting it gets you back into your account, but you can't decrypt the data that was already there; you only get back the old account less by the amount of space/storage you can't access/read--it's like virtual brain damage or something.

from http://www.zdnet.com/article/mega-respo ... d-changes/:
Mega confirmed that users currently have no means to change their password , quoting Ars Technica, which previously said that "Losing [your password] means you don't just lose the ability to log on to the service — you lose the ability to decrypt your files, period."

To address this, Mega stated that it would implement a password change feature that will "re-encrypt the master key with your new password," as well as implement a password reset mechanism.

The reset mechanism is purely to allow the user to log back into their account, but it will not allow users to read their existing files, as those would have been encrypted using their previous key. That isn't a problem if the files were encrypted using pre-exported keys, or if the files were shared with others with a specific shared key, but other than that, files will not be accessible without the original key.
so, fifty free gigs of relatively quick cloud storage, don't lose your password, may not work on haunted setups (that gateway's always developing problems or healing itself it seems, and identical setups don't always behave the same on it, but it's my oldest test mule and still a useful machine (main machine for the family/it's in the den and otherwise working well)).