This thread is closed but can be used for reference

All those interested in MintPup
should go to saintless' thread

MintPup (Trusty LTS)

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 430#858430

Thanks

wanderer

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I started this thread my intention was to work on puppifying linux Mint 17 inspired by what saintless has done with debian.

Thankfully saintless has done all the work and provided all the expertise
and has made a base filesystem and instructions on how to do everything. This system is far more advanced than anything I would be able to accomplish so I am using/learning it now.

Saintless, thanks again for all your hard work.

wanderer
Last edited by wanderer on Sat 30 Jun 2018, 21:26, edited 20 times in total.

wanderer

#2 Post by wanderer »

see above
Last edited by wanderer on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 14:36, edited 11 times in total.

wanderer

#3 Post by wanderer »

see above
Last edited by wanderer on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.

wanderer

#4 Post by wanderer »

see above
Last edited by wanderer on Mon 29 Jun 2015, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#5 Post by saintless »

I had some experience remastering old Ubuntu version here. The CLI remastering script for DD needs some small changes for cleaning /var/run and /var/tmp to work with Ubuntu. Installing yad and gtkdialog should make also the GUI remastering scripts work in Linux Mint. I guess some small modifications will be needed.
If you decide to remove/add packages using save file and remastering the system instead chroot I can help modding the remastering scripts for Linux Mint.
Nice to see another project heading in the same direction.

Toni

wanderer

#6 Post by wanderer »

Thanks saintless for the words of encoragement and wisdom

Your debiandog is awesome

Your iso finally made debian useable

Thanks again

wanderer

wanderer

#7 Post by wanderer »

see above
Last edited by wanderer on Thu 23 Jul 2015, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.

anikin

#8 Post by anikin »

Hi wanderer,
mint is very different in boot system
for example sbin/init is a library file
and not readable with a text editor
here's why it's different:
Linux Mint Will Continue To Provide Both Systemd and Upstart
After Debian adopted systemd, many other Linux distributions based on that operating system made the switch as well. Ubuntu has already rolled out systemd in 15.04, but Linux Mint is providing dual options for users. The Ubuntu transition was surprisingly painless, and no one really put up a fight, but the Linux Mint team chose the middle ground. The Mint developers consider that the project needs to still wait for systemd to become more stable and mature, before it will be the default and only option.
http://linux.slashdot.org/story/15/05/1 ... nd-upstart

wanderer

#9 Post by wanderer »

anikin

thanks for the info

wanderer

otoshan

#10 Post by otoshan »

Good :) ... Will include package apt-get?

wanderer

#11 Post by wanderer »

otoshan

thanks for the interest

wanderer
Last edited by wanderer on Thu 23 Jul 2015, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.

futwerk

#12 Post by futwerk »

a few backgrounds.
Attachments
mintpup2.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/?x4v77bi1p58ox
(62.07 KiB) Downloaded 3588 times
mintpup1.jpg
(25.39 KiB) Downloaded 3615 times
mintpup.jpg
(23.6 KiB) Downloaded 3611 times

wanderer

#13 Post by wanderer »

futwerk

they look great

thanks

wanderer
Last edited by wanderer on Thu 23 Jul 2015, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.

darry1966

#14 Post by darry1966 »

Best of luck Wanderer. A good base.

saintless

#15 Post by saintless »

Hi, wanderer.
Maybe this will help you a little. Write if you need help with something.

Toni

wanderer

#16 Post by wanderer »

darry1966

thanks for the words of encouragement

saintless

thanks for all the help (as well as debiandog)

wanderer

mcewanw

#17 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote:Hi, wanderer.
Maybe this will help you a little. Write if you need help with something.

Toni
Ah, good, I'm glad you also looked into this Toni. I had downloaded Linux Mint xfce version a few weeks back, with similar interest in mind, and liked it but really hoping it could be minimized like DebianDog. Then I noticed wanderer's thread and your input - nice to be able to create a Puppylike Mint/Ubuntu as well as DebianDog. Being able to add the slim DebianDog utilities into PuppyMint would be particularly great - sfs load capability, pet2deb, and PuppyMint-install (to usb stick/sd, hd partition - with gtkdialog etc to allow easy import of Puppy utilities and Yad for the many Fred has produced for DebianDog). Though, for me this will all be more of a MintDog than a PuppyMint - but I don't care much what it is called - just happy for another potential new Puppylike distribution with full apt-get (this time Mint/Ubuntu compatible) package management and the power and flexibility we already know that brings...

DebianDog has been and is an inspiring small distribution, and this could be an equally inspiring one I feel.

Good idea wanderer - there are many Linux Mint fans out there who will be delighted by a Puppified version. I will be watching developments of this with great interest and I have to say, Fred, I'd love to see a Porteus-type boot option with save to changes folder on EXIT.

William
github mcewanw

saintless

#18 Post by saintless »

Hi, William :)
I don't think porteus-boot will be easy to adapt. I'm not sure if it is because of the upstart or something in the kernel but it gives many errors and the boot fails (after adding all needed files in separate squashfs module).
What is easy to be done from quick testing is using initrd.gz + kernel from Puppy with working save file or save directory. But this means to keep two kernels included in the iso.
Wanderer is the one to decide how to build Mintpup and I think we should wait for more information and testing iso first.

Edit: Uploaded kernel-3.14.20-nopae-tharpup-experimental.tar.gz (readme.txt included inside) for testing Linux Mint boot with Puppy kernel.

Toni
Last edited by saintless on Wed 29 Jul 2015, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.

wanderer

#19 Post by wanderer »

see above
Last edited by wanderer on Thu 23 Jul 2015, 16:43, edited 2 times in total.

saintless

#20 Post by saintless »

Hi, wanderer.
Keep the name Mintpup. It is more suitable since you like to include Puppy kernel and busybox boot option.
As to adding puppy pets the pets2deb route seems the most straightforward.
It is better to add this option with warning such converted pet package could break apt-get (dpkg). It takes time and some work to make or convert safe to install deb package. We already had this problem.
I have also noticed that the cow system is like unionfs if you put another sfs file in the same folder it will be mounted and merged when mint boots off of the live usb.
Same goes for loading extra modules. If you don't rename /var/lib/dpkg files before making extra squashfs module you can easy break apt-get. Read here about universal and system related module in Debian/Ubuntu based system.
A big question for me is how to access the boot chain in mint (init rcsysinit xinitrc etc) and for example start another window manager so far I haven't found any answers online.
My advice is do not change the official Mint boot scripts. It could lead to many problems in the future.
Changing the WM is easy. This will create ~/.xsession file to start jwm for example:

Code: Select all

echo "exec jwm" > $HOME/.xsession
Edit: BTW after upgrading xserver-xorg starting X crashes on some old machines. The problem is in the newer version xserver-xorg-video-intel_2.99.910-0ubuntu1.6_i386.deb. Downgrading with the included in Linux Mint 17.1 iso xserver-xorg-video-intel_2.99.910-0ubuntu1.1_i386.deb fixes the problem.

Toni
Last edited by saintless on Wed 29 Jul 2015, 18:50, edited 2 times in total.