Avoid "Searching for Puppy files" during bootup - revisited

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
mavrothal

#21 Post by mavrothal »

mikeb wrote: Hence the interest in gyros re-evaluation of the boot methods in use....bit of a pet subject ..no pun intended.
Anything to streamline and keep user friendly is welcome.
Gyro's additions are of course welcome, but they do not change anything in the boot process. They do add another option for a kernel command line argument which is very welcome. We just want to make it as much as possible user friendly and false-tolerant.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

gyro

updated patch to init.nosearch-3.diff

#22 Post by gyro »

Updated patch to "init.nosearch-3.diff" see first post for download.

This is a significant rewrite to avoid extra mount and umount.

The code at the beginning of the "Searching" section does not set the "PUPSAVE" variable, rather it just checks that the partition exists and stores data for later.

The decision is now made in the "search_func" after the first partition is mounted.
The variable "LESSPARTS" is modified so that the specified partition is first in the list.
If the specified savefile/savefolder is not found, then normal searching is performed.

@mavrothal,
"psavemark" is irrelevent since that should have been sorted out before "nosearch" is activated, so it is now recorded in "PUPSTATE" and hence gets respected. The idea behind "nosearch" is that you get it all sorted out running normally, until "PUPSTATE" contains all the appropriate information. Then "nosearch" is activated by specifying a "pupsave" parameter.

I don't quite understand the problem with "/mnt/home".
The "pupsave" parameter could be used to choose between multiple savefiles/savefolders but I don't see any use for specifying the savefile/savefolder of another puppy.

Note: I will probably announce "initrd.gz" files for Tahrpup 6.0.2 in the near future. (My site is up again.)
Edit: now done.

gyro
Last edited by gyro on Tue 30 Jun 2015, 02:58, edited 1 time in total.

gyro

#23 Post by gyro »

Just a thought:
One of the difficulties in implementing "nosearch" by reading "PUPSTATE" from the savefile/savefolder is that the issues of it being a savefile or savefolder, and is the savefile encrypted, have to be sorted before "PUPSTATE" can be read.
It would probably be easier to implement "nosearch" if it were triggered by "pdev1" boot parameter being supplied, and the presence of "${PDEV1}${PSUBDIR}/PUPSTATE".

gyro

gyro

validating existence of boot parameter sfs files

#24 Post by gyro »

@mavrothal,
Here is a patch to check the existence of an "adrv" boot parameter file:

Code: Select all

--- init.orig	2015-06-24 09:52:21.966056508 +1000
+++ init	2015-06-28 19:47:14.014732397 +1000
@@ -473,6 +473,13 @@
     done
    fi

+   if [ "$PADRVDEV" = "$ONEDEV" ];then
+    if [ -s "/mnt/data${PADRVSPEC}" ];then
+     ADRVSFS="`basename $PADRVSPEC`"
+     ADRV="${ONEDEV},${ONEFS},${PADRVSPEC}"
+     echo -n " adrive" > /dev/console
+    fi
+   fi
    if [ "$ADRV" = "" ];then
     FND_FILES="`find /mnt/data${PSUBDIR} -maxdepth ${SEARCHDEPTH} -xdev -type f -iname ${ADRVSFS} | grep -v ' ' | sed -e 's%^/mnt/data%%' | tr '\n' ' '`"
     for ONEPUPFILE in $FND_FILES
@@ -799,11 +806,13 @@
 fi

if [ "$ADRV" ];then
- DEV="`echo "$ADRV" | cut -f 1 -d ':'`"
- FS="`echo "$PCPARTS0" | grep "${DEV}|" | cut -f 2 -d '|'`"
- SPEC="`echo -n "$ADRV" | cut -f 2 -d ':'`"
- ADRVSFS="`basename $SPEC`"
- ADRV="${DEV},${FS},${SPEC}"
+ PADRVDEV="`echo "$ADRV" | cut -f 1 -d ':'`"
+ if [ "`echo "$PCPARTS0" | grep "${PADRVDEV}|"`" != "" ];then
+  PADRVSPEC="`echo -n "$ADRV" | cut -f 2 -d ':'`"
+ else
+  PADRVDEV=""
+ fi
+ ADRV=""
 fi

if [ "$YDRV" ];then
The idea is to delay checking the file until the "search_func", when a partition is already mounted. A bit like my latest "nosearch" patch.
Obviously the same approach could be applied to the other sfs parameters.

gyro

mavrothal

Re: validating existence of boot parameter sfs files

#25 Post by mavrothal »

gyro wrote:@mavrothal,
Here is a patch to check the existence of an "adrv" boot parameter file:

-[/quote]
Looks good.
You may want to send a pull request with the changes.
If you get ti it pls try to include verifications for $zdrv and $pupsfs as well as.
Thx
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

gyro

#26 Post by gyro »

mavrothal wrote:You may want to send a pull request with the changes.
If you get ti it pls try to include verifications for $zdrv and $pupsfs as well as.
My plan is to implement a full patch that includes all the sfs parameters, and then announce it in a separate topic to give others a better chance of commenting. After all this topic is about "nosearch". Pull request later.

I've simplified the code a bit so it is in only 2 places, where the boot parameters are first processed, and in search_func.

In testing, I liked being able to specify an adrv with the wrong name, and in a different directory.

gyro

mavrothal

#27 Post by mavrothal »

gyro wrote:I liked being able to specify an adrv with the wrong name, and in a different directory.
Why adrv only?
Theoretically SFSs can be anywhere as long as they are loaded in RAM. You do not care after that.
You can actually have a small 10MB partition for vmlinuz/initrd/grub(2) and then point to anywhere you want.

One thing that should be checked with the "anywhere" approach is how the system will behave if SFSs are not loaded in RAM either because there is not enough or because they are called with pfix=nocopy and are in different drives.

gyro

#28 Post by gyro »

mavrothal wrote:Why adrv only?
Because that is all I had implemented at the time, as a proof of concept.
mavrothal wrote:Theoretically SFSs can be anywhere as long as they are loaded in RAM.
The first limitation is which partitions get mounted during the "Loading puppy files" section of "init". See http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100011. Copying to RAM overcomes only the second challenge; which partitions remain mounted.

Please continue any discussion of sfs boot parameters in the other topic.
This topic is about "nosearch".

gyro

gyro

Updated "initrd.gz" files for version 3 available

#29 Post by gyro »

I have uploaded "initrd.gz" files for Tahrpup 6.0.2 for version 3 of the patch.
See the first post for download details.
gyro

Marv

#30 Post by Marv »

Tested with and without pupsave kernel parameter in X-tahr-1b2 non-PAE on a core 2 duo laptop and on one of my Bay Trail desktops with the very slow USB flag returns. In these two tests the modified init does just what it is supposed to. Speedup on both systems is the same as my ignore=usb modification to init. If this were to be incorporated in the 'stock' inits, it would save me folding in my patch when using a new initrd.

Thanks,

Edit: Init script also used in X-slacko-3.0n. Booting correctly with and without pupsave parameter there also. All of these tests are on Grub4Dos frugal installs with standard unencrypted savefiles.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

technosaurus

#31 Post by technosaurus »

WOW, I can't believe how overly complex this has become ... when it could just be a single parameter SFS= with a ',' separated list of files to mount and use full paths vs. search if an item in the list starts with '/'

Here is some blah template code example ... mount_sfs omitted for brevity ... needs to be updated for overlayfs anyhow

file_missing(){
	echo "$1 not found, add the appropriate mount point to MNT="
}

autoload_sfs(){
	for MTPT in /mnt/*; do
		[ -f "$MTPT/$1" ] && mount_sfs "$MTPT/$1" && break
	done
	file_missing "$1"
}

load_sfs(){
	[ -f "$1" ] && mount_sfs "$1" || file_missing "$1"
}

mount_sfs(){
	echo "mounting $1" #etc... and so forth
}

handle_sfs_list(){
	while ([ "$1" ]) do
		case "$1" in
		/*)load_sfs "$1";;
		*)[ "$NOSEARCH" ] || autoload_sfs "$1";;
		esac
		shift
	done
}

SFS=a.sfs,/mnt/sda1/b.sfs,...
IFS=","
handle_sfs_list $SFS
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

gyro

#32 Post by gyro »

technosaurus wrote:WOW, I can't believe how overly complex this has become
Some of the complexity comes from trying to efficiently integrate it into the 'init' script.
technosaurus wrote:when it could just be a single parameter SFS= with a ',' separated list of files to mount and use full paths vs. search if an item in the list starts with '/'
Are you suggesting that this code in the 'init' script

#100915 requested by technosaurus (formats get changed further down)...
[ $pupsfs ] && PUPSFS=$pupsfs #format partition:<path><filename> ex: sda2:/wary071/wary_071.sfs
[ $zdrv ] && ZDRV=$zdrv #ex: sda2:/wary071/zdrv_071.sfs
[ $adrv ] && ADRV=$adrv
[ $ydrv ] && YDRV=$ydrv
is obsolete?

gyro

gyro

Updated to version 5

#33 Post by gyro »

This version greatly simplifies the code at the expense of a little processing inefficiency.
Instead of reading the file "PUPSTATE" directly from the savefile/savefolder, it looks for it in the frugal install directory. So it doesn't have to wait until the savefile/savefolder is available before making the final decision.

To use:
1) Put patched "initrd.gz" in the frugal install directory.
2) Reboot to show that everything is still the same.
3) Copy "/etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE" to the frugal install directory.
4) Add "nosearch=sda3" as boot parameter (using appropriate partition instead of "sda3").
5) Reboot.

The "nosearch" facility can be deactivated by either removing the "nosearch" boot parameter or deleting the "PUPSTATE" file in the frugal install directory.

To add an adrv or ydrv to the boot:
1) delete the copy of "PUPSTATE" in the frugal install directory.
2) Reboot.
3) Copy "/etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE" to the frugal install directory.
4) Reboot

See first post for download.

gyro

boof

#34 Post by boof »

have downloaded version 3 of initxxxxx file and done all preparations. USB boots until

searching for sfs files

kernel panic unable to mount VFS root fs not mounted to (2.0)

Then a "debug" readout that I can't copy & paste and machine hangs with caps lock light flashing.

mikeb

#35 Post by mikeb »

Some of the complexity comes from trying to efficiently integrate it into the 'init' script.
well that is the heart of the matter... fiddling with the window boxes is fine but sometimes its worth peeking in the basement at the foundations.

Shinobar had the same problem...large scripts trying to cater for all the hoplessly messy puppyisms and variations.

My init in initrd is around 25k...thats a lot less crap to try and work around.

Its not a diff or 2 needed but a complete rewrite/re-evaluation.

I am sure gyro you could do a much better job yourself.
see whats needed...cut out things that are hopelessly obsolete and make a script to do the job...ps the cpio initrd adds to the complexity by the way. You could add nice features like better sfs handling.

mike

gyro

#36 Post by gyro »

@boof
I've never tried it on USB, only HD.
I'll give it a try.
gyro

gyro

#37 Post by gyro »

@boof,
I tried both version 3 and version 5 on a fat32 sdcard.
I didn't get any kernel panic's, everything just worked as normal. When I specified a "nosearch" situation, this was simply ignored and "searching" happened as usual.
So, no crashes, but achieved nothing.

gyro

gyro

#38 Post by gyro »

mikeb wrote:I am sure gyro you could do a much better job yourself.
Thanks for the vote of confidence.
The 'init' script is showing it's age, but to re-write it would be a large task which is unlikely to come to the top of my to-do list in the foreseeable future.
gyro

mikeb

#39 Post by mikeb »

Thats ok gyro... understandable. And you definitely have my vote :)

Actually I cheated and used puppy 2.12 init as a base...cleaned it up at first and the added a few goodies...it was originally 45k....
Sometimes it is easier to have some sort of framework to start with.

One thing that must be easier now is having usb drivers built into the kernel...all the slow/fast drive detection was messy and after all..who in their right mind would use usb 1 for a puppy...well I did...it was painful. :D
It does question the need for PUPMODE=13 but the idea of using ram for changes is valid but in a modified form... more like multisession really.

mike

boof

#40 Post by boof »

frugal install v5 on usb with 6.0.2:gives:

booting the kernel
kernel panic cannot mount VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(2.0)

I also tried changing

nosearch sdxx to
search sdyy
but it made no difference to the msg.

###############################

seems not to have detected sdb2? Will try last line of syslinux.cfg

append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pfix=ram

same error