Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 21 Jul 2018, 04:09
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
CD Puppy2.12 no boot in "SCSI" drives (i875/ICH5) > resolved
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 3 [31 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
JohnRoberts

PostPosted: Sat 23 Dec 2006, 22:56    Post subject:  

I am not sure if you will be able to boot from the USB CD-ROM at all... Sad
If you follow the thread from the top you may notice that my problem was similar...In order to boot from CD the device probing script must identify your CD-ROM as IDE connected and nothing else. My problem was both different and the same in that the legacy SATA mode in i875P/ICH5 which is necessary when using mixed SATA and IDE devices in OS's different than WinXP uses an emulation layer that conflicts with device probing in Puppy.
The result is that my optical drives cannot be recognized until I switch my BIOS to true mode enabling both SATA and PATA controller w/o the emulation layer. Your problem is outright clearer in that your drive is NOT IDE to begin with. I really hope the devels will try to improve device probing in the future in order to solve such mishaps. Until that happens (which is not the easiest of jobs, trust me on that...) you still have another solution. You can buy a flash disk (they are rather affordable) and try booting from that (it all depends on your BIOS...). If you manage it, you may then check from inside Puppy if the USB CD-ROM is detected or not. It may not be bootable but it is possible that it could be used, once Puppy starts. (You will need a flash drive and a PC able to boot Puppy...have a look at the flash disk installation instructions...).
In my case, with BIOS in legacy mode (a.k.a. "Combined" in ICH5) when I boot from flash disk, optical drives CANNOT be recognized...

Good Luck
Season's Greetings

P.S.: In a few days the guys will have 2.13 ready for action. It is a good idea to give it a go and see if it solves the problem.

Page 3 of 3 [31 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: