Puli 32/64 bit

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gjuhasz

Re: Puli 6.0.2

#21 Post by gjuhasz »

Dpup wrote: Curious what is different, and can the Pup 6.0.2, now 6.0.3 be modified to have same MTP as Puli 6.0.2.
Dear Dpup,

Thanks for your review. It is nice to hear that you and your grandchildren could utilize Puli and some of my related pets.
I merged the go-mtpfs utility into one of my ancient Pulis a couple of years ago then wrote the simple mtp+ and mtp- scripts as my two cents.
See http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 845#752416 for go-mtpfs.
As far as I remember, the PupCamera feature (built in tahrpup and others incl. Puli) auto-recognizes the MTP-capable devices based on a config file while mtp+ forces the connection even for newer devices (necessary only if PupCamera keeps sleeping for any reason).

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

gjuhasz

Technical curiosity

#22 Post by gjuhasz »

Lobster wrote::D Really like the Puli concept. Simple. Clever.
Dear Lobster,

I really appreciate your kind words about my Puli.
Of course, nothing can be "technically complete" - I only wanted to demonstrate the capabilities of such a small size distro by showing a more-or-less wide scale of examples. Puli puts a little effort into tracking attacks. It only tries to prevent them become effective with some tricks - and wihout slowering the environment.

Thanks again.

Regards,

gjuhasz

gjuhasz

SFS folder thing

#23 Post by gjuhasz »

Dear Sylvander,
Sylvander wrote: Must it be FAT32?
Might I be able to copy all of the necessary folder/files [including ldlinux.sys] to the partition formatted as ext3 or ext4?
I never tried to install Puli on an ext3 or ext4 fs pendrive simply because of the portability of my other data on it. FAT32 is usable practically everywhere. I am interested in your experience with ext3 or ext4, however.
Sylvander wrote: I failed to understand the SFS folder thing.
If I click on your link, and then click on the SFS link, there are all kinds of things in there [mostly pet files]. Am I to copy ALL of the content of the linked SFS folder into the root of the Flash Drive, or make a folder named SFS in the root and copy into that SFS folder?
The name of the folder (sfs) where I store the tested packages origins from the ancient years of Puli (kudos to smokey01). You may put your collection of the Puli-compatible pet or sfs (or deb) packages to any folder on your pendrive along with other data files - Puli will auto-locate those packages selected for smart loading at boot time. I use "packages"
Sylvander wrote:Your explanation in the 1st post is rather long and complex, but I'll read it bit-by-bit, and attempt to understand it.
FYI: The backwards-compatible Puli 6.0.3 is ready for production. It arrives soon with many new and unique comfort features. So, since I need to amend the text on the first page anyway, I decided to make it be clearer and less sophisticated. However, I still don't know whether it should be shorter or longer :D

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Sylvander

Re: SFS folder thing

#24 Post by Sylvander »

gjuhasz wrote:I never tried to install Puli on an ext3 or ext4 fs pendrive simply because of the portability of my other data on it. FAT32 is usable practically everywhere. I am interested in your experience with ext3 or ext4, however.
My 1st inclination was to use a Linux jounalling file system [superior], but now you have me wondering if aught to be FAT32 so that windows can access it.
It's FAT32 at the moment, so I think I'll try that, and later change it to ext4.

gjuhasz wrote:You may put your collection of the Puli-compatible pet or sfs (or deb) packages to any folder on your pendrive along with other data files - Puli will auto-locate those packages selected for smart loading at boot time.
OK, so the packages can be PET files or SFS, doesn't matter much which is used huh?
So the fact that most of the packages in your SFS folder are PETs is OK, right?
I'm assuming that the total storage space used by these isn't beyond what a 4GB Flash Drive can hold, huh?
I'll try copying only the packages I need, and as needed, to the existing "packages" folder in the root of the Flash Drive.

gjuhasz wrote:I decided to make it be clearer and less sophisticated. However, I still don't know whether it should be shorter or longer
Personally, I like there to be adequate/enough essential detail, so it isn't necessary to ask questions, because everything needed for this reader to understand, is already there.
If that means it's long and complex, then so be it.
It's a difficult thing to get just right, and I'm glad its you, not me, who is doing it.
I didn't like having to read, and attempt to understand, all that stuff, but nevertheless I'm grateful that you provided all that information and detail.

gjuhasz

Re: SFS folder thing

#25 Post by gjuhasz »

Sylvander wrote: OK, so the packages can be PET files or SFS, doesn't matter much which is used huh?
So the fact that most of the packages in your SFS folder are PETs is OK, right?
I'm assuming that the total storage space used by these isn't beyond what a 4GB Flash Drive can hold, huh?
Let me explain the sfs vs pet issue a bit more precisely.
Of course, in a "normal" puplet, ther are differences between usage of pet and sfs packages - this origins in the layered filesystem. In contrast, the differences, at least from the aspect of memory consumption, are minimal in modes where everything is memory mapped - and this is the case in Puli.
So, I introduced a "smart load" feature that simply copies the content of any type of package into pup_rw with minimal administration. This is very quick but
a) cannot be undone during the given session
b) needs carefully tested packages
Bottom line: When selected for smart load, "the packages can be PET files or SFS, doesn't matter much which is used".

FYI: Although I did not upload Chrome in the sfs folder, Puli shines if you download an "official" Chrome package (32-bit .deb), e.g., from https://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel. Then, for smart load, reference it in /profiles/Common/smartload file of your boot device (pendrive) or install it later by simply click on the file (in Rox). You can compare more Chrome (stable/beta/dev) versions in any order this way, within the same Puli session.

I use 4 and 8GB pendrives for developing and archiving Puli. My kids, who run Minecraft with lots of archived worlds, have 2... 4 GB pendrives. No problems with storage space.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Sylvander

#26 Post by Sylvander »

1. Right now I'm working in Puli loaded from a FAT32 partition on my 4GB Flash Drive.

2. It's looking good and generally working well, EXCEPT...

3. I seem to be unable to save session changes.
I'm yet to understand how that works, need to do more reading.
a. There's no "Save..." icon on the desktop; I guess it's intended to be that way.
b. I used the "Backup" icon and made a backup.
c. At 1st session->reboot I made a pulisave file, but it seemed to not have been used/loaded at load-up.
Once at the desktop, 2nd session, I had to configure the basics once again.
SO...
d. I [deleted the pulisave] installed pupsaveconfig, and used that to make a new pulisave.
This time, at 2nd reboot, the save method was different, seemed to work OK, BUT...
e. Once at the desktop of the 3rd session, I yet again had to configure the basics, and none of the changes I'd made had been saved.
f. In a "normal" Puppy, I'm able [to choose or not to choose] to save during the session...
AND...
At shutdown/reboot, I'm asked whether I want "to save or not to save".
This seems to me to be essential.
Can it be done in Puli?

4. It's my intention to play with Puli on the FAT32, until I get a feel for how it works, and then...
a. Copy ALL of the Puli folders/files from the Flash Drive [FD] to an external HDD, then...
b. Re-format the FD as ext4, then...
c. Copy all of the files back to the FD->partition.
d. Will that work?
Or is there now something within this particular Puli setup that means it will only function on a FAT32 partition?
Would I therefore need to begin again, right back at the start, to make a new Puli install?

gjuhasz

Saving session in Puli vs other puplets

#27 Post by gjuhasz »

Sylvander wrote:...EXCEPT...

3. I seem to be unable to save session changes.
I'm yet to understand how that works, need to do more reading.
a. There's no "Save..." icon on the desktop; I guess it's intended to be that way.
b. I used the "Backup" icon and made a backup.
c. At 1st session->reboot I made a pulisave file, but it seemed to not have been used/loaded at load-up.
Dear Sylvander,

Concerning saving session, there are conceptual differences between Puli and the other puplets.

Please take a look at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 672#827672

So, let me propose using the backup feature (by either clicking the backup icon during the session or by selecting Save: backup in the shutdown dialog. Then, next time, you may restore your session by dragging the selected backup file onto the Restore icon.
This works any time providing that the extra packages selected for smart load are the same in both sessions (because they don't need to be included also in the backup file).

Another option is extending the smartsave file with your own configuration items based on which your data will be saved to your favorite places when you select Save:smart in the Shutdown dialog.

According to this concept, insecure/obsolete methods, e.g., saving the session into a king size 2fs file, e.g., pulisave.2fs, is not supported thus the related scripts are deleted / not accessible in Puli.

Have fun!

regards,

gjuhasz

Sylvander

#28 Post by Sylvander »

I think I'm beginning to get the feel for using Puli's "Backup" and "Restore". :D

1. Just now...instead of removing the Flash Drive, I mounted its partition by clicking its sdb1 icon on the desktop, THEN...
2. In the ROX window that opened to display the content of /mnt/sdb1...
Clicked the "Backups" folder to open it and display its contents.
Then...
3. Dragged and dropped my Puli_backup_2015_07_16_03_15 file onto the "Restore" [is this a file?]
The two are sitting side-by-side in the "Backups" folder.
My personalizations that I made previously [then made a "Backup" to record them], were restored right there and then.
Will this stay restored between sessions, or must I restore the backup at each session?
b. I understand/see that this method is different to the "normal" Puppy method, but works very well.
I'm just wondering if it actually works better than the norm.
c. Is it possible to unload and reload this backup?
d. Can a series of consecutive backups [or alternative backups] be loaded, unloaded, re-loaded?
That would introduce interesting possibilities.

gjuhasz

Backups

#29 Post by gjuhasz »

Dear Sylvander,

Thanks for spending your time with Puli.
I'm just wondering if it actually works better than the norm.
What is the "norm"? :wink:
Is it possible to unload and reload this backup? ... Can a series of consecutive backups [or alternative backups] be loaded, unloaded, re-loaded?
Theoretically, it's feasible with a backup2sfs script. However, I see only disadvantages. For example, if you store versions of the same document in different backups, they could arbitrarily overwrite each other. Of course, if there are no concurrent files in those backups, you can merge two or more of them.
Will this stay restored between sessions?
Intentionally not.
First, because of the above risk. It is better to not overwrite/kill important files.
Second, because the smartsave option is designed for this purpose. It works as follows:
There are files in the /smartsave folder that will be executed one by one if you select "Save:smart" in the shutdown dialog.
At boot time, this /smartsave folder becomes auto-populated, e.g., its files are auto-loaded from /mnt/$bootdev/patch/smartsave or from /mnt/$bootdev/profiles/Common/smartsave or from smartloaded packages. (Also, if you install a Puli specific pet/sfs file within the session.) The goal is, to save other session files, and/or desktop background or even downloaded files that arrived into /root/spot/Downloads.
However, keep in mind that some config files, e.g., /etc/asound.state are machine-specific thus it is better to save them into a machine-specific profile of Puli or a separate, well-commented backup file.
See more details and explanation in the /smartsave/Default.smartsave file:

Code: Select all

# This is a simple text file 
# The below lines will be executed during shutdown when you select "Save: smart" in the shutdown dialog.  
# The goal is to save some session files, i.e., created documents, and/or downloaded files from /root/spot/Downloads, or even desktop setings  to /mnt/$bootdev or to any other media. 
# FYI: the smart save function is initiated by the /usr/sbin/shutdownconfig file.
# The /mnt/$bootdev/smartsave.err file may contain error messages such as "failed to preserve ownership" or "No such file or directory" or "some files/attrs were not transferred" or "failed to get attributes". This is normal.

bootdev=`cat /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE |grep PUPSFS |cut -f1 -d "," |cut -f2 -d "'"` #please do not edit this line

# Here begins the default content that does the same as "Save: patch" did in the previous versions of Puli:

# prepare saving
	mkdir -p /mnt/$bootdev/patch 
	sync
	mkdir -p /mnt/$bootdev/patch/etc 
	sync
	mkdir -p /mnt/$bootdev/patch/etc/patch 
	mkdir -p /mnt/$bootdev/patch/etc/simple_network_setup/
	sync

# save sound settings (Warning! This can be machine-specific!)
	alsactl -f /etc/asound.state store 
	sleep 1
	sync
	cp -f /etc/asound.state /mnt/$bootdev/patch/etc 
	sync

# save password 
	cp -f /etc/passw* /mnt/$bootdev/patch/etc 
	cp -f /etc/shado* /mnt/$bootdev/patch/etc 
	cp -f /etc/shado* /mnt/$bootdev/patch/etc/patch 
	cp -f /etc/passw* /mnt/$bootdev/patch/etc/patch 
	cp -f /etc/passw* /etc/patch 
	cp -f /etc/shado* /etc/patch 
	sync

# save network settings 
	for i in /etc/simple_network_setup/*:*; do mv -f $i $(echo $i | sed 's/:/=/g'); done
	cp -f /etc/simple_network_setup/* /mnt/$bootdev/patch/etc/simple_network_setup
	sync
	for j in /etc/simple_network_setup/*=*; do mv -f $j $(echo $j | sed 's/=/:/g'); done
	sync

# save some settings of the Chrome browser 
	cp -f --parents /root/spot/.config/google-chrome/Default/Preferences /mnt/$bootdev/patch
	cp -f --parents /root/spot/.config/google-chrome/Default/Bookmarks /mnt/$bootdev/patch
	cp -f --parents /root/spot/.config/google-chrome/Local?State /mnt/$bootdev/patch
	sync

# save /root/my-documents	
	rsync -r --update /root/my-documents /mnt/$bootdev/profiles/Common/root
	sync

# This is the end of the default content.

I hope I don't bore you with a user example. The Minecraft.smartsave file in the same folder, next to the previous one, looks like this:

# This is a simple text file 
# The below lines will be executed during shutdown when you select "Save: smart" in the shutdown dialog.  
# The goal is to save some session files, i.e., created documents, and/or downloaded files from /root/spot/Downloads, or even desktop setings  to /mnt/$bootdev or to any other media. 
# FYI: the smart save function is initiated by the /usr/sbin/shutdownconfig file.
# The /mnt/$bootdev/smartsave.err file may contain error messages such as "failed to preserve ownership" or "No such file or directory" or "some files/attrs were not transferred" or "failed to get attributes". This is normal.

bootdev=`cat /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE |grep PUPSFS |cut -f1 -d "," |cut -f2 -d "'"` #please do not edit this line

# This is the smart save code for Minecraft

rsync -r --update /root/spot/.minecraft/saves /mnt/$bootdev/Minecraft
	sync
	cp -up /root/spot/.minecraft/logs/latest.log /mnt/$bootdev/Minecraft/logs/
	cp -up /root/spot/.minecraft/launcher.pack.lzma /mnt/$bootdev/Minecraft/
	cp -up /root/spot/.minecraft/lastlogin /mnt/$bootdev/Minecraft/
	cp -up /root/spot/.minecraft/launcher_profiles.json /mnt/$bootdev/Minecraft/
	cp -up /root/spot/.minecraft/usercache.json /mnt/$bootdev/Minecraft/
	cp -up /root/spot/.minecraft/option*.txt /mnt/$bootdev/Minecraft/
	sync

# End of the smart save code for Minecraft 
...and so on... The above settings ensure that the desired data will stay restored between sessions.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Sylvander

#30 Post by Sylvander »

PROBLEM!
important!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Although I've used the sutdown dialog to successfully make a pulisave.4fs file in the root of the Flash Drive partition [sdb1]...
2. Puli fails to find the pulisave.4fs file during startup. [I'd like it to find and use the pulisave]
Hence...
3. Once at the desktop, none of my personalizations are applied.
4. If I drag-n-drop the backup onto the "Restore" icon [both in the "/mnt/sdb1/backups" folder]...
That gives me my personalizations, but this would be a deal-breaker if I had to do this every time I boot.
5. I found the /mnt/sdb1/profiles/Common/smartsave/Default.smartsave file. Should that help me?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. /mnt/sdb1/smartsave.err has the following content:

mv: cannot stat ‘/etc/simple_network_setup/*:*’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/etc/simple_network_setup/*’: No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat ‘/etc/simple_network_setup/*=*’: No such file or directory
7. Some other problems:
a. The sound is muted despite "Retrovol/Main/Auto-mute being unticked, and I see no way to fix it.
b. eht0 doesn't auto-connect, and although it is easy to manually connect, I need it to auto-connect.
c. When I 1st run "Menu->Internet->Web browser", only a single default Google Chrome window appears.
If I then close that and repeat, my 3 web page tabs open in a single window/page.
Is it possible to have those open as 3 separate windows?
How?

gjuhasz

Preserving data between sessions

#31 Post by gjuhasz »

Sylvander wrote:Although I've used the sutdown dialog to successfully make a pulisave.4fs ... Puli fails to find the pulisave.4fs file during startup.
Puli does not deal with any pulisave.?fs (.2fs, 4fs, etc) file either at boot time or at shutdown. I am wondering if you wrote some code or installed incompatible software.
(Edit: I see in your previous post that you "installed pupsaveconfig, and used that to make a new pulisave".)
I found the /mnt/sdb1/profiles/Common/smartsave/Default.smartsave file. Should that help me?
Definitely, Combining smartsave and smartload is the "Puli standard" way to preserve the important files between sessions.
Normally, at the end, a session consists of three groups of info:
1. The content of the pup_ro2. No need to save it because it loads next time by default
2. The content of the packages installed. In Puli, there is no need to save them. Optimally they auto-load next time, too, providing that the smartload file remains the same.
3. The user data (config files, documents, other data files). They can be handled by an appropriate smartsave file to ensure that they auto-load next time. Some Puli packages already contain their own smartsave configuration. See my Minecraft.smartsave file above. Of course, you need to select Save: smart in the shutdown dialog to activate this feature, i.e., have those commands in the .smartsave files run.
No such file or directory ... eht0 doesn't auto-connect, and although it is easy to manually connect, I need it to auto-connect.
Puli uses Barry's Simple Network Setup for automatic network connection. If the automatic config fails and you need to invoke SNS, the folder contains at least one human readable "connections" file like this:

eth0|Wired|tg3|pci|Broadcom Tigon3 ethernet driver |<some hexadecimal values here>||
Next time the same settings is used for auto-connection. Except if you are using another connection manager software... in which case you need to amend the Default.smartsave file accordingly.
The sound is muted despite "Retrovol/Main/Auto-mute being unticked,
Instead, please right-click the Retrovol tray icon, then in the Settings tab of the popup window, ensure that the slider is bound to the master volume control. Once you have sound, this will be saved for the next session.
When I 1st run "Menu->Internet->Web browser", only a single default Google Chrome window appears.
If I then close that and repeat, my 3 web page tabs open in a single window/page.
Is it possible to have those open as 3 separate windows?
For security reasons, only a single Chrome window is allowed in Puli with as many tabs as needed. To enable multiple Chrome windows, you can play with the killall commands at the beginning of the /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser file
There is no such restriction for other browsers, e.g., Opera.

Have fun!

regards,

gjuhasz

Sylvander

#32 Post by Sylvander »

1. "Puli does not deal with any pulisave.?fs (.2fs, 4fs, etc) file either at boot time or at shutdown. I am wondering if you wrote some code or installed incompatible software.
(Edit: I see in your previous post that you "installed pupsaveconfig, and used that to make a new pulisave".)
"
a. To eliminate such a possible cause of the problem, I used a 2nd Puppy to delete:
pulisave.4fs
Both of the backups I'd made that were located in the /sdb1/backups folder.
b. Then I booted into Puli.
c. Once there it was necessary to make the basic setup configurations [language etc].
d. I then rebooted, and during that chose to "smartsave", which appeared to go well.
e. Once back to the desktop, it was necessary to complete basic setup yet again. I could do this repeatedly and the settings were NEVER auto applied.
SOMETHING IS AMISS.
F. Do you think I need to go waaay back to the beginning, by re-doing "Copy Puli to the pendrive"?

gjuhasz

SOMETHING IS AMISS

#33 Post by gjuhasz »

Sylvander wrote:I deleted both of the backups I'd made that were located in the /sdb1/backups folder.
Please keep in mind that if you restore a backup file then any misconfiguration there becomes active again. So, don't backup a session until you are sure that everything works well.
Once there it was necessary to make the basic setup configurations [language etc]... I then rebooted, and during that chose to "smartsave", which appeared to go well ... Once back to the desktop, it was necessary to complete basic setup yet again. I could do this repeatedly and the settings were NEVER auto applied.

I have the following config items on my pendrive next to the puppy_puli_6.0.2.sfs file:

1. syslinux.cfg file with the following content:

default vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pfix=ram pkeys=hu plang=hu_HU.UTF-8
2. timezone file with the following content:

Europe/Budapest
3. patch folder. I created it by clicking on the "mild" icon. In "milld" profile, this folder is empty by default but the smart save scripts will populate it with session data.
Warning! Re-clicking a profile icon purges the content of the patch folder, so the sooner, the better, its files should be copied to a "less temporary" place. I changed the default scripts behind my "mild", "rigorous", etc. icons that restores the last saved "mild", "rigorous", etc. content of my patch folder.

3. Profiles folder (I know that you already have a Common subfolder here with your favorite smartload file)
Do you think I need to go waaay back to the beginning, by re-doing "Copy Puli to the pendrive"?
Not yet. Please check the above settings first and change them appropriately (set your keyboard, language and timezone as you want only there - do not configure anything in the welcome window).

I expect that from this point, your Puli happily remembers his master's settings.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Sylvander

#34 Post by Sylvander »

I'm working from Slacko-5.7.0, and looking at stuff on the Flash Drive to which Puli is installed:

1. "syslinux.cfg file with the following content:"
Here's mine...

default vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pfix=ram
I'm wondering if such stuff will look different once I boot into Puli, or once I make/save configuration changes.

2. "timezone file with the following content:"
I cannot find any timezone file.
Perhaps I'll find one once I've booted into Puli.

3. "patch folder. I created it by clicking on the "mild" icon. In "milld" profile, this folder is empty by default"
a. My mnt/sdb1/patch folder is not empty; it holds:
3 Folders: etc, root, usr.
1 File: 1-rigorous.

4. "the smart save scripts will populate it with session data"
Do you think mine has been populated?

5. "Re-clicking a profile icon purges the content of the patch folder, so the sooner, the better, its files should be copied to a "less temporary" place."
Aught I to do this?
Where, for example, would be a good "less temporary" place?
This is all strange and new to me.

6. "I changed the default scripts behind my "mild", "rigorous", etc. icons that restores the last saved "mild", "rigorous", etc. content of my patch folder."
This is beyond my comprehension.
I understand: "I changed the default scripts behind my "mild", "rigorous", etc. icons"...
But not: "...that restores the last saved "mild", "rigorous", etc. content of my patch folder.".

7. "Profiles folder (I know that you already have a Common subfolder here..."
My /mnt/sdb1/profiles/Common subfolder holds the following:
3 Folders = root, smartsave, usr.
1 File = smartload.

8. "...with your favorite smartload file)"
I don't understand why you say this is my "favorite".
So far as I know this [and its content] was not chosen by me.

9. "check the above settings first and change them appropriately (set your keyboard, language and timezone as you want only there - do not configure anything in the welcome window)"
So you are saying I should not use the [nice and easy] welcome window [YIKES!], but instead type settings within the appropriate files?!
I don't know enough to know what to type, and some of those files don't even exist at this time.

gjuhasz

here is mine

#35 Post by gjuhasz »

Dear Sylvander,

I am convinced that some Puli features require better explanation thus I decided to upload a demo video to Youtube soon. Together with announcing Puli 6.0.3 :)
Sylvander wrote:1) ...default vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pfix=ram
2) ...I cannot find any timezone file.
According to Puli concept, the defaults are set in separate files but they may be temporarily superseded via Quicksetup, e.g., when booting Puli on a different machine. The goal is getting ourselves independent from the environment.

ad 1.) I assume that your syslinux.cfg file should be like

default vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pfix=ram pkeys=uk plang=en_GB
ad 2.) Unless you need to reference to GMT, your default timezone should be defined in a separate timezone file (please create it manually). I think your timezone file should contain a single line:

Europe/London 
( I don't see Glasgow or Edinburgh listed in /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe :( )

For example, in my case:
I circulate my Puli pendrive among four machines. My default pkeys=hu in syslinux.conf fits to a couple of them but I supersede this in Quicksetup either to "de (Germany)" or to "us (USA)" while working on the rest. But, plang=hu_HU.UTF-8 in syslinux.conf and Europe/Budapest in timezone remain active each case (those fields are filled up with this values when Quicksetup pops up).
...So you are saying I should not use the [nice and easy] welcome window [YIKES!], but instead type settings within the appropriate files?!
It depends... In Puli, the Quicksetuip dialog welcomes you each case, waiting for confirmation or for session-level changes.
Next time, you get your defaults again, even if you selected "Save: smart" previously.

ad 3.) You are right, the patch folder can contain different files and sub-folders when selecting different profiles.

ad 4.) Please check the Default.smartsave file. When activated, it saves your network, audio, etc. settings in the patch folder.

ad 5. and 6.) Consider using the profile-specific sub-folder, e.g., /profiles/1-rigorous/ on your pendrive. In this case you don't need to change your default script behind your profile icon, e.g., "1-rigorous".
Have fun!

ad 7.) It is the default content after installing Puli. But later you may add other items here.

ad 8.) I meant your decision about which packages should be smart-loaded at boot time. Note that in the upcoming Puli 6.0.3, you can define multiple smartload files then select your "favorite" one (or omit loading extra packages) by hitting a key while Puli boots. :wink:

Regards,

gjuhasz
Last edited by gjuhasz on Wed 22 Jul 2015, 00:17, edited 5 times in total.

Sylvander

#36 Post by Sylvander »

1. "1) I assume that your syslinux.cfg file should be like"

default vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pfix=ram pkeys=uk plang=en_GB
I've done this, and it worked! :D
QuickSetup window now displays these settings once I get to the desktop, and it's easy just to OK these.

2. "2) The default timezone (GMT) should be redefined by a separate timezone file (create it manually). I think your timezone file should contain a single line:"

Europe/London
a. This is the value I normally use. I made a /mnt/sdb1/timezone file with that code inside.
So this setting also appears in QuickSetup window.
b. All I need for all my preferred choices to be pre-set, is for "Keyboard numlock" and "Set time/date from the internet" to be pre-ticked also.
How should I do that?
c. With all of the above pre-set, even though it's something of a nuisance for QuickSetup to display at the beginning of EVERY session, at least all I'd need do is click OK to accept these.

3. "In Puli, the Quicksetuip dialog welcomes you each case, waiting for confirmation or for session-level changes."
a. OK, I can see the logic of doing this, but...
b. A "normal" Puppy usually only does this when it detects that it has been booted on hardware that is different to the previous session, and therefore needs some values re-configured.
This avoids the hassle of an un-necessary display of the QuickSetup dialog.

4. "Next time, you get your defaults again, even if you selected "Save: smart" previously."
See 3b above.
Shouldn't "Save: smart" reset the defaults to the newly configured values, and the QuickSetup dialog only display when the hardware has changed?
I suppose the present arrangement works well if/when the Flash drive is being moved around to different machines, in different timezones and languages, right?

gjuhasz

#37 Post by gjuhasz »

Sylvander wrote:All I need for all my preferred choices to be pre-set, is for "Keyboard numlock" and "Set time/date from the internet" to be pre-ticked also.
How should I do that?
Keyboard numlock is the default settings, regardless of what you tick in QuickSetup. If you don't need Numlock, please delete the numlockx file from /profiles/Common/root/Startup folder on the pendrive, or put an empty numlockx file (!) in the /root/Startup folder if you want to create a machine-specific backup.

Concerning auto-syncing time with internet - please copy the /usr/local/psync/timesync.sh file to /profiles/Common/root/Startup folder on the pendrive.

Note that the firewall is auto ON, too, even if its box remains unticked.
c. With all of the above pre-set, even though it's something of a nuisance for QuickSetup to display at the beginning of EVERY session, at least all I'd need do is click OK to accept these.
Correct. In Puli, the QuickSetup dialog welcomes you each case.

Have fun!

regards,

gjuhasz

gcmartin

#38 Post by gcmartin »

gjuhasz wrote:Keyboard numlock is the default settings, regardless of what you tick in QuickSetup.
This should be considered a bug if QuickSetup does not manage this as the user selects.

You might consider addressing this in the next release. Menu>Setup>Quicksetup-FirstRUN intends to allow the user proper desired settings, anytime it is used. If the system is not allowing it to do so, this is a bug.

Also, QuickSetup is NOT setting all Hostname fields when the user changes it to his preference. @BarryK fixed this bug in his last Quirky/April release.
Last edited by gcmartin on Wed 22 Jul 2015, 07:34, edited 4 times in total.

Sylvander

#39 Post by Sylvander »

1. "Keyboard numlock is the default settings, regardless of what you tick in QuickSetup."
So "Keyboard numlock" is on, even though the tick-box is unticked in the QuickSetup window, right?
And even if I don't tick the box to OK that, it is still ON? That is counter-intuitive.

2. "If you don't need Numlock, please delete the numlockx file from /profiles/Common/root/Startup folder on the pendrive..."
a. I DO need numlock, and I DO have a /mnt/sdb1/profiles/Common/root/Startup/numlockx file that is empty, that I want to keep, so I will leave it as-is.

3. "...or put an empty numlockx file (!) in the /root/Startup folder if you want to create a machine-specific backup."
/root/Startup/numlockx already exists, and is empty...
Since I want to have Numlock ON in this specific machine, I should leave this file as-is, right?
I don't understand how this file existing in this location constitutes a BACKUP.
And is this "backup" auto-applied [restored?] at the start of each session on this particular hardware?
I fail to mentally grasp the significance of such things.

4. "Concerning auto-syncing time with internet - please copy the /usr/local/psync/timesync.sh file to /profiles/Common/root/Startup folder on the pendrive."
DONE.
What I don't understand, is why it is necessary to do this rather than this being done when I use the QuickSetup window [GUI], and the Psync window that results from ticking the "Set time/date from the internet" box.
Again...it seems counter-intuitive.
I mean...you surely cannot have every-single-user being personally instructed as you are doing for me here...or alternatively, the user instructions are going to be VERY detailed and complicated.

5. "Note that the firewall is auto ON, too, even if its box remains unticked."
Thank goodness the "Firewall enabled" box is ticked in my "QuickSetup" window.
I'd like to see ALL of my preferred choices already set to ON, so I only need click OK.

6. "In Puli, the QuickSetup dialog welcomes you each case."
OK, I understand, but would have preferred if you'd worded it as:
" In Puli, the QuickSetup dialog is ALWAYS auto-displayed when you reach the desktop at the beginning of each new session."
English is not your 1st language, right?
Your wording is more succinct than mine, but slightly "unusual".
I have the characteristic [fault?], that wishing to be both PRECISE and accurate, I tend to be rather long-winded. [As are Lawyers with their wordings]
Does everyone reading understand the difference between precision and accuracy I wonder?

Sylvander

#40 Post by Sylvander »

1. I fancy using Puli for online banking.
Do you think it is as suitable as a multi-session DVD-RW?
I'd need WINE to be available.
Might it be OK to run a WINE SFS file?
Should I hold off doing this until I have all the Puli basics under control?
I seem to be good to go.
My WINE SFS has loaded and run OK.
Will take this further a little later.
-----------------------------------------------------
OK, was able to use WINE, and access my "Acerose Password Vaullt", and login to my online banking website.
And all with the Puli Flash Drive removed. :D

2. Is it possible to install a WINE?
If so, how? PET or SFS? If PET, which PET?
I have 3 SFS files.

3. Is it possible to [use a website perhaps, to] test that my choice of "1-rigorous" is functioning as it aught?
Does this warn when a possibly malicious connection has been attempted from outside to inside?
I'll go back to the 1st post of this thread to try to find some info on that.
OK, it barks, but then, my sound is MUTED->, so I wouldn't hear that.
OK, I've managed to un-mute the sound. :D
Will that config change be saved for following sessions?
Become permanent/default?

4. I've rebooted, and the sound has not remained un-muted.
So once agin I went to "volume->Full Window->Master", and ticked it.
How should I make this un-mute permanent?