Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 19 Nov 2019, 23:39
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Mintpup (THREAD CLOSED)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 7 of 11 [159 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
saintless

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul 2015, 04:08    Post subject:  

Checking Mint 17.2 repositories and I see no change in Ubuntu lines. Only the special Mint repo is changed and I doubt it will make any difference running apt-get upgrade from MintPup-base.
17.2 has newer kernel also.
I think I fixed the initrd1.xz to keep /casper folder but creating /mnt links (mount points) compatible with DD scripts. I will confirm it after more testing. Special porteus scripts in MintPup-base also have to be changed.

Toni
mcewanw

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul 2015, 04:21    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:
There is no working ~/Sartup folder as in Puppy and DD. I will see if I can think of something else to start the script in ~/Startup from different location in Debian manner. /etc/profile.d doesn't work for me testing MintPup-base and for user account I guess typing password will be needed if the script is started after X.
Still think the incuded in the deb doing nothing yet /etc/init.d/pesywifi is the way to make autologin work for wifi and wired connection in Debian/Ubuntu for user account.

Oh I see (I think) it is the problem of trying to use PeasyWIFI to connect when booting into user account (with wifi password rights being a bit of an issue). Yes, the frisbee-type method of using script in init.d (whilst still having root permissions) would seem like a good approach. I hadn't studying startup scripts in MintPup and didn't realise ~/Startup folder in MintPup wasn't use similarly as in DD.

William

saintless

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul 2015, 05:39    Post subject:  

mcewanw wrote:
I hadn't studying startup scripts in MintPup and didn't realise ~/Startup folder in MintPup wasn't use similarly as in DD.

MintPup-base has the same working ~/Startup folder for starting scripts like DebianDog, William.
But I don't want to make working PeasyWifi.deb for DD and MintPup-base only.
I want to make working deb package for Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, DD and MintPup-base. This why I prefer to change ~/Startup location for auto-starting wifi on boot.

Toni

mcewanw

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul 2015, 06:06    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:
mcewanw wrote:
I hadn't studying startup scripts in MintPup and didn't realise ~/Startup folder in MintPup wasn't use similarly as in DD.

MintPup-base has the same working ~/Startup folder for starting scripts like DebianDog, William.
But I don't want to make working PeasyWifi.deb for DD and MintPup-base only.
I want to make working deb package for Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, DD and MintPup-base. This why I prefer to change ~/Startup location for auto-starting wifi on boot.

Toni

Hi Toni,

I see, so you are looking to use a /etc/init.d/peasywifi script like the similar in frisbee with stop, start, restart lines.

That would seem to be the way to go. Probably easy enough to write, but probably quite a few things to check during the script, such as if wireless is enabled and so on. /etc/init.d/frisbee certainly seems a bit more than trivial.

I imagine some kind of cut down main peasywifi script could do the job, since all the check interface and connect functions are in there, but would need to be really familiar with peasywifi script so pity rcrsn51 hasn't adopted that init.d approach since it does seem more universal for multiuser systems. Have you already written something, or thought about the details?

EDIT: Also, I don't know how the scheme would work for systemd booting system, which, despite the concern voiced by many, seems to me the likely future. But perhaps systemd uses the rc-type files in init.d in similar fashion to sysv init and it seems upstart (if that's what it is called)?

William

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul 2015, 06:13    Post subject:  

In Puppy, the mechanism for connecting Ethernet/WiFi at bootup is a mess. It uses both rc.network and service scripts in init.d. And it tries to accommodate multiple connection tools, some of which no longer exist.

If I could demand that PWF become the One True Network Manager, then this would become infinitely simpler, and the ~/Startup auto-connect script could move to a more standard location appropriate for non-Puppies.

But I cannot do that.

I could have built PWF with a service script, but that just adds to the cruft. For Puppy users, the more intuitive location is ~/Startup.

IIRC, the Puppy variants that use Xfce can handle auto-connect by putting a .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart that calls the PWF auto-connect script, wherever you choose to put it.

[Edit] Line 648 of PWF defines the location of the auto-connect script. You should be able to change it to a location compatible with Mint/DD. But I have not tested this.

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Wed 15 Jul 2015, 07:07; edited 1 time in total
saintless

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul 2015, 07:06    Post subject:  

Hi William, rcrsn51.

mcewanw wrote:
Have you already written something, or thought about the details?

I prefer to change less as possible in peasywifi script and structure to be able to update the package easy when new version is available. I'm thinking about something simple like starting wired network by default using dhcpcd or /etc/rc.d/rc.network.pwf in /etc/init.d/peasywifi
Almost every computer (laptop) has wired network and many old machines do not have wifi.
After first boot and setting up wifi connection (by creating profile and auto-start script in ~/Startup) the /etc/init.d/peasywifi start line (or the script) could be auto-replaced to execute the script from ~/Startup instead dhcpcd.

Quote:
EDIT: Also, I don't know how the scheme would work for systemd booting system, which, despite the concern voiced by many, seems to me the likely future. But perhaps systemd uses the rc-type files in init.d in similar fashion to sysv init and it seems upstart (if that's what it is called)?

Fred already solved this problem and we have perfect base (DD-Jessie) to test systemd or sysvinit boot.
Systemd needs creating service file inside /etc/systemd/system to start /etc/init.d (or different located script). Here is the service file for frisbee in DD-Jessie:
/etc/systemd/system/frisbee.service:
Code:
[Unit]
Description=frisbee networking
Before=rc-local.service

[Service]
Type=forking
ExecStart=/bin/bash -c "/etc/init.d/frisbee start"
ExecStop=/bin/bash -c "/etc/init.d/frisbee stop"
RemainAfterExit=yes
TimeoutSec=0
StandardOutput=tty

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Edit:
Quote:
[Edit] Line 648 of PWF defines the location of the auto-connect script. You should be able to change it to a location compatible with Mint/DD. But I have not tested this.

Thanks, maybe I will have to change it if I can't find better solution.

Toni

otoshan

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul 2015, 15:15    Post subject:  

When i try to download MintPup-Porteus-base-01-hybrid.iso
I have this error
Code:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /saintless/DebianDog/RTAI-LinuxCNC/LinuxMint-17.1/MintPup-Porteus-base-01-hybrid.iso on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
saintless

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul 2015, 15:32    Post subject:  

otoshan wrote:
When i try to download MintPup-Porteus-base-01-hybrid.iso
I have this error
[code]Forbidden

Posted today on previous page:
saintless wrote:
Hi all.

The hybrid iso download is blocked for few days. I think I can make it more compatible with DD packages and structure and will update it if I can. Seems I changed more than needed live to casper in initrd1.xz and this creates incompatibility problems with DD scripts. Also I like to remove gnumeric and some other files left from Mint themes.

I'm making changes in porteus-boot initrd and scripts for better compatibility with DebianDog scripts. After the changes this MintPup-Porteus-base-01-hybrid.iso will have a little bit different structure with porteus-boot. I prefer to avoid incompatibility problems now.
Please, wait for the fixed iso or use the base without xorg and without porteus-boot initrd1.xz from here.

Toni

Last edited by saintless on Wed 29 Jul 2015, 14:59; edited 1 time in total
saintless

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jul 2015, 16:04    Post subject:  

MintPup-Porteus-base-01-hybrid.iso replaced with new initrd1.xz for porteus-boot and changes in some scripts to keep the same structure as DD.

Information only for William, Wanderer and anyone else who has the old iso - you can keep using it after extracting 02-fixes-for-previous-base-iso.zip inside /casper. It containes small squashfs with the changed scripts and new initrd1.xz (to replace the old one). After boot with this new initrd1.xz and 02-fixes-for-previous-hybrid-iso.squashfs inside /casper you will see new /live/image and /live/cow links for both boot methods and with porteus-boot you will see changed name /mnt/casper to /mnt/live
Remaster the system typing /opt/bin/remaster-mint-cli and you will have the same structure and changes included in the new iso. Your already installed programs in save file or after remaster will work without problem. Only the scripts are changed and done some cleaning from here.

Toni

Last edited by saintless on Wed 29 Jul 2015, 15:01; edited 1 time in total
mcewanw

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jul 2015, 21:07    Post subject:  

Thanks Toni, I'm downloading both the iso (for a new install) and the fixes (for existing installation I want to upgrade) now.

William

wanderer

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jul 2015, 21:49    Post subject:  

saintless

I'm downloading the new iso as well

awesome accomplishment

thanks again for all your work

wanderer
cthisbear

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jul 2015, 03:36    Post subject:  

saintless:

I don't mean to be Mr thicky mate....
but can I extract this to a multi Puppy usb stick and boot off it.

First time I have been interested in one of your goodies.

C an I edit my menu list and run

title Linux Mint
root (hd0,0)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz boot=casper ignore_uuid showmounts persistent
initrd /casper/initrd.lz

without this...
Grub menu list boot code:
Code:

No disrespect.....Cheers.....Chris.
saintless

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jul 2015, 03:53    Post subject:  

cthisbear wrote:
Can I edit my menu list and run

title Linux Mint
root (hd0,0)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz boot=casper ignore_uuid showmounts persistent
initrd /casper/initrd.lz

Yes, but you need casper-rw save file on second (different from root (hd0,0)) partition to have persistent with official Mint boot (initrd.lz). Or second ext partition with label casper-rw.
Or you can try porteus-boot (initrd1.xz) from the examples in the same list with option to save on the boot partition in save file or save directory:
boot codes

But this iso is very basic and I made it only to save some work for Wanderer to start building the system further. No configuration settings for Rox and only few applications with working apt-get.

Toni

Last edited by saintless on Wed 29 Jul 2015, 15:04; edited 1 time in total
saintless

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jul 2015, 04:21    Post subject:  

BTW Linux Mint 17 doesn't have full compatibility with Ubuntu repositories unfortunately and also I get some gtk warnings running gftp from official Mint 17.1. Click here for screenshot.
I guess this explains the problem with Gnome. Maybe using aptitude will solve the conflicts but needs testing.
I guess removing the priority for special mint repository in /etc/apt/preferences.d/official-package-repositories.pref (or deleting the file) will reverse 100% Ubuntu packages compatibility. Also needs testing.

Last edited by saintless on Wed 29 Jul 2015, 15:05; edited 1 time in total
fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jul 2015, 05:06    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,

Just tested your new iso and found that porteus-boot option 'Always-fresh' doesn't work.
Removing 'base_only' from the boot command makes it boot.
Didn't test but I think it has to do with this in linuxrc:
Code:
if param base_only; then
grep live /tmp/modules | grep -v modules > /tmp/mod

I guess that live should be changed to casper:
Code:
if param base_only; then
grep casper /tmp/modules | grep -v modules > /tmp/mod

Did some more quick testing by installing synaptic, firefox and all works well.
Tested creating changes.dat on root of sda2, and the changes persist after reboot.
Low memory usage, wired network connection works, seems to me like a solid base.

Fred
Page 7 of 11 [159 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: