Set of ready-made pupsave and swap files,

Using applications, configuring, problems
Mike7

#41 Post by Mike7 »

mikeb-
You could alter the profiles.ini file in the home folder of firefox to point to wherever you like so avoiding symlinks and then just copy and paste.

eg
IsRelative=1
Path=preset.default

change to 0 an then put in whatever path you want and move the folder to there.

Otherwise the command is
ln -s /path/to/source/folder /path/to/symlink

soo you have first parameter as new home and second as original mozilla profile.
Thanks muchly. Very useful info.

Question: ln --help says "Create hard links by default, symbolic links with --symbolic." Now, what is the real difference? Can you explain?
My oddball pups load entirely to ram including save
Is that why around 450Mb of my RAM is in use right after booting with no apps running?
If you want the latest and greatest you get the fattest and largest profiles
Yes, Firefox 38 wasn't meant to run in my system, I don't think. I was not happy when the builtin FF26 updated automatically to v.38.
plus flash may be steaming to ram with the later versions depending on the cache config.
That's why I installed flashplayer-10, hoping it would take up less space than v.11.
I lost track of how much ram you have
1Gb. Soon to increase to 2Gb.
though any swap space would add to the save space.
Really. I didn't know that. I wonder how it works.

I presently have a 1Gb Linux-swap partition on the pendrive. It hasn't increased the OS speed, but at least it doesn't freeze up any more when I get to full RAM.
with a 512MB machine I have 512MB swap which gives a total of around 750MB working save space.
How the heck does the savefile split itself between RAM and swap?
In spite of a comment about my mentioning this I am getting no notifications since the server change so may not reply so promptly.
Uh-oh. That's a serious problem. I'm getting notifications again. I wonder what went wrong for you.

Mike
Carolite-1.2 w/FF38 on bootable 16G flash drive; Asus eeePC 1000HA, Atom CPU, 2G RAM, 160G HDD.

Mike7

#42 Post by Mike7 »

mikeb, musher0-

Do either of you guys know which Firefox configurtion settings should be changed to reduce FF's memory usage? I figure there must be at least some of the "about:config Search: cache" settings that ought to be altered, but which ones?

Mike
Carolite-1.2 w/FF38 on bootable 16G flash drive; Asus eeePC 1000HA, Atom CPU, 2G RAM, 160G HDD.

mikeb

#43 Post by mikeb »

Not sure but hardlinks are like the ones in windows and are added to the file system index ..... symbolic links are like file entries in effect.... but thats just my limited knowledge...on linux I always use the symbolic.

Well when the save space....the read write layer of the union ... is in ram...any increase in ram space even in swap is included if that makes sense.

450mb from where?..I find free does not give a useful figure ...I prefer htop.
Ram space used by sfs and read/write tmpfs is not shown by a memory usage figure...it MAY be included in the free space monitor but thats working quite differently.

flash 10.0.15 definitely does not stream to ram... 10.3.xx definitly does... 10.1.xxx....not sure...so not all version 10 flashplayers are the same....if you get the video in /tmp its not going directly to ram...but then it could still be using ram in a tmpfs.
Gone crosseyed yet?
A mp4 downloader is a MUCH better idea for long videos.

Firefox settings..one to google since it changes with versions so there is no one definitive answer. Though in real term ram usage its the cache, browsing history and urlclassifier stuff you need to control.

yes still no notifications...I will have to contact flash.

mike

musher0

#44 Post by musher0 »

Mike7 wrote:mikeb, musher0-

Do either of you guys know which Firefox configurtion settings should be
changed to reduce FF's memory usage? I figure there must be at least
some of the "about:config Search: cache" settings that ought to be
altered, but which ones?

Mike
Hi, Mike7.

I'm not a FF user myself, but maybe the following from the Fox's mouth, :)
no less, will help you:

-- https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fi ... memory-ram --
(Taken from here.)

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Mike7

#45 Post by Mike7 »

mikeb-
flash 10.0.15 definitely does not stream to ram... 10.3.xx definitly does.
10.3.xx is the one I've got. I guess it was the only v10 available as a Carolina pet. Now not even that one is available (at least not in the archive.org Carolina repo). If you know where there is a version 10.0.xxx that will run on Carolina or any Puppy, please let me know. Downloading mp4 conversions of videos is really not much of an option. It takes too long. Even downloading mp3 music tracks doesn't always complete.
Firefox settings..one to google since it changes with versions so there is no one definitive answer. Though in real term ram usage its the cache, browsing history and urlclassifier stuff you need to control.
Thanks. I will google this.
still no notifications
That would be frustrating. I belonged to a health forum for many years and got involved there on a personal level with a lot of people. Suddenly one day the email notifications stopped, and they were never fixed. That was enough to ruin a whole bunch of important long-term relationships for me and hundreds of others. Forum admins don't always realize the effects of what they do. But I'm sure the guys at murga-linux will eventually fix your notifications problem.

Mike

Mike7

#46 Post by Mike7 »

musher0-
maybe the following from the Fox's mouth, :)
no less, will help you:
Thanks. Some of those URLs were helpful, although none of them went into the caches in about:config. Plus I have read that hardware acceleration causes erratic video behavior.

All this browser stuff has gotten completely out of hand, IMHO.

Mike

musher0

#47 Post by musher0 »

Indeed. QupZilla is a sports car compared to the mega-trucks the major
browsers have now become.

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Mike7

#48 Post by Mike7 »

musher0-
Indeed. QupZilla is a sports car compared to the mega-trucks the major browsers have now become.
Between hackers finding new security holes and website designers exploiting to the maximum every bell and whistle that comes along, browsers are just gonna keep getting more and more unmanageable.

Maybe this is some corollary to Murphy's Law. The Internet itself appears to have self-destruction built in. And that goes for many aspects of current technology. Not everything that appears to be a great invention works out in the long run.

For the moment, though, a temporary solution for me probably means Slimboat or Opera plus the gtk youtube viewer.

Mike

musher0

#49 Post by musher0 »

Wise choice! :)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

mikeb

#50 Post by mikeb »

mp4 downloader addons are by far the easiest option if thats what you want. You don't even need a flash plugin or html5 to use those and you have total control over what happens to the download.

I realised the other day it seems google is the current internet mangler now.

The javascript apis and related css which they lob around for free are pushing their browser and all that entails. (the 'free' Internet explorer in windows 98 was basically meant to do the same thing plus put any competition out of business...which it did.) If you don't bend to their whim then you might just get a blank web page where there used to be content...had a couple recently and even the latest mozilla would still not render....

In short google have made their attempt to take over the internet in a similar style to that of Microsoft...but a bit more polished about it ... its more pronounced with android but the idea of if you want you tube TV you buy one of these....and by the way other sites with video will work badly :D And sod any web standards of course.

Its about market control and not technology advancement.
Big browsers are partitally about trying to keep up with such crap.
Or dig yer heels in and leave them to it....

All fun and games...for them...

mike

Mike7

#51 Post by Mike7 »

mikeb-
mp4 downloader addons are by far the easiest option
Not useful to me as I do a lot of video browsing. Plus, at my current download speed it would take all night to download a 90-minute '50s gangster flick <grin>.
I realised the other day it seems google is the current internet mangler now.
I think this has been in the works for some time. Google's investment in servers and the tech support for them, not to mention their electricity bill, has forced them to upscale their business model. Ergo: the quest for control.
If you don't bend to their whim then you might just get a blank web page where there used to be content...had a couple recently and even the latest mozilla would still not render....
That is bad news. The end of the web is near, I fear, with three or four competitors carving out exclusive niches. This was bound to happen. The search engine business model is a dead end. I foresee the rise of subscribable intranets and the further balkanization of the Internet. There is an interesting historical parallel with the railroads, and their demise.
the idea is if you want you tube TV you buy one of these....and by the way other sites with video will work badly :D
In short, the usual unregulated dogfight.
And sod any web standards of course.
Of course. Standards only work through cooperation, the bankers' dirty word.
Its about market control and not technology advancement.
Sure. Although proprietary advanced technology is part of the equation.
Big browsers are partially about trying to keep up with such crap.
Or dig yer heels in and leave them to it....
There's no way to sidestep the process. You either opt in to the Internet business model as it has now evolved, or you opt out of the Internet.
All fun and games...for them...
Precisely.

Mike

Mike7

#52 Post by Mike7 »

musher0-
Wise choice!
I hope so.
"Il ne faut pas multiplier les êtres logiques inutilement." (Ockham)
Est-ce que vous trouvez des êtres logiques, Monsieur Ockham?

M.

mikeb

#53 Post by mikeb »

There's no way to sidestep the process.
I seem to ...... there is still choice out there...at least for now in spite of attempts to coerce and censor
Plus, at my current download speed it would take all night to download a 90-minute '50s gangster flick <grin>.
so how would you watch it in flash since that would have the same bandwidth needs?

By the way you can download and watch at the same time...just click on it...

mike

musher0

#54 Post by musher0 »

Mike7 wrote:musher0-
Wise choice!
I hope so.
"Il ne faut pas multiplier les êtres logiques inutilement." (Ockham)
Est-ce que vous trouvez des êtres logiques, Monsieur Ockham?

M.
Pas assez, Monsieur Mike7, pas assez ! :)
Transl.: [Not enough, Mr. Mike7, not enough!]
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Mike7

#55 Post by Mike7 »

mikeb-
so how would you watch it in flash since that would have the same bandwidth needs?
Would it? Downloading files always seems to take a long time, whereas watching videos realtime works normally (more or less).
you can download and watch at the same time
Wouldn't that use extra bandwidth? Anyway, are you suggesting I download mp4's of long videos during the night, shutting off all my computer's standby and sleep provisions and leaving it turned on and active all night long, just to downlaod maybe a 1.5-hr. video? What's your point here?

In any case, I've never had much success with long downloads. They usually get hung up for some reason (except sometimes ISO files from good repos). I guess I should be using a download controller, but. . .

Mike

mikeb

#56 Post by mikeb »

A 50MB flash video gives me a 50MB mp4.... at the same quality they are the same file in effect just one has codec info hidden.... so require the same bandwidth.

If you are downloading a higher resolution video then it will be bigger.... the ones I get are around the 320p size..... The addon I use gets me that...some addons you can choose the quality.

Watching while downloading uses no extra bandwidth.... you save the file...it downloads...you play the downloading file.

We do this to watch videos in real time all the time.

mike

Mike7

#57 Post by Mike7 »

Hi, mikeb.

Sorry I'm so long in replying but I had a health issue.
Watching while downloading uses no extra bandwidth.... you save the file...it downloads...you play the downloading file.
Okay, I'm convinced, so long as you can interrupt the download at any time with no nasty side-effects <grin>. I've put "MP4 youtube downloader" on my list of urgent things to do (now up to 37 items).

M.

nic007

#58 Post by nic007 »

Strange how the normal desktop browsers are getting bigger and bigger whilst more and more people want to access the net via smaller devices like smart phones using small browsers like Opera Mini for example. I've been using Opera Mini for years now on my desktop computer (and on cellphone). Excellent for general browsing.

musher0

#59 Post by musher0 »

Hi, guys.

If you are going to discuss browser sizes and not simply size of browser
caches,
I'd rather you move that discussion in its own thread, to avoid
digressions.

Nothing personal, I actually enjoy your comments.

It's just that this thread is pegged as sticky on the forum and is intended
for newbies. So if we could stay on subject, the newbies -- and I -- :) will
be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Mike7

#60 Post by Mike7 »

musher0 wrote: if we could stay on subject
I guess we've gotten pretty far afield from pupsave and swap files <grin>.

M.