Add DVDROM Drive to Grub4Dos List of Boot Options

Booting, installing, newbie
Cecil

Add DVDROM Drive to Grub4Dos List of Boot Options

#1 Post by Cecil »

Have used Puppy for a couple of years and love it. I have received lots of great info from this website. Thank you all so much. I am trying to optimize my son's Dell Latitude E5410 laptop for college. Basically, it has a hard drive with three partitions currently. The first two are NTFS and are used for Windows 7 which he needs for certain aspects of his curriculum. I am not touching those partitions. The third partition is ext4 and is a frugal installation of TahrPup 6.0.2. The Pupsave file in stored on the same partition and backed up regularly. My son only uses this partition for online banking and GnuCash. He visits no websites other than his bank and credit card. I have burned a multisession DVD of TahrPup 6.0.2 which he uses to peruse all of the web including music sites, social media, etc. He does not save the sessions and therefore minimizes his risk. The vast majority of the time he is either booting up Windows 7 or his other hard drive partition using Grub4Dos so I have left the hard drive in the first position in the BIOS boot order. He leaves the multisession DVD in his DVDROM drive and then repeatedly hits the Fsomething key (I forget which one) to boot off the DVDROM and begin the multisession DVD. It sure would be nice on the Grub4Dos list of options (or Advanced Options) to be able to choose the multisession DVD in the DVDROM drive (dev/sr0). I have tried to piece together the exact code to use to alter the Grub4Dos files to achieve this end but am not exactly certain I have the right code. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Cecil

Ted Dog

#2 Post by Ted Dog »

should be do able. look at the extra stuff at end of isolinux.lst or cfg text file and append that to end of grub line. Will boot faster if the two main files kernel and append are copied to harddrive and select main files via grub.

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

In the good old days of legacy GRUB and IDE optical drives, there was a way to do this. And the Grub4Dos docs also claim that they can do it.

But I couldn't get any of it to work with a SATA optical drive.

Cecil

#4 Post by Cecil »

I tried the Grub4Dos docs too and was unable to make the DVD boot. Would be nice to have this option or to have a frugal installation on a hard drive that does not automatically save since my son will probably be surfing some dicey spots on the web. I understand there is a way to Rube Goldberg the pmedia line but I was a little afraid to try this route. Not sure of the logic behind Puppy not giving the option to not save the pupsave when it is installed to hard drive or usb. Maybe there could be a puplet designed for web surfing. It would be frugally installed to hard drive or USB and the default would be no saving of the pupsave file/folder unless specifically requested. Just a newbie thinking out loud.

Cecil

Cecil

#5 Post by Cecil »

Would this work? Frugal install to hard drive. Customize it with all your settings. Remaster iso and then burn iso image to CD. Boot from newly burned CD and frugal install the customized iso to hard drive. Then only boot pfix=ram from now on when surfing the web and decline option to make file/folder at end of each session. Good, bad, stupid?

Cecil

musher0

#6 Post by musher0 »

Cecil wrote:Would this work? Frugal install to hard drive. Customize it with all your settings. Remaster iso and then burn iso image to CD. Boot from newly burned CD and frugal install the customized iso to hard drive. Then only boot pfix=ram from now on when surfing the web and decline option to make file/folder at end of each session. Good, bad, stupid?

Cecil
Hello, Cecil.

That is a good idea. It should work. Some members elsewhere on
this forum (sorry, I don't have the URL handy) even advocate a very
similar solution as the only solution for a safe use of Puppy.

However, another time-honored solution for safe browsing has been used
by Puppyists for quite a few years now: you burn your iso to a regular (or
even a double-layered DVD, if your DVD drive can burn those) and you
run your Puppy only from it. In this scenario, nothing is installed to hard
drive, and you need to click the save icon every now and then to save
your session (especially a long session) on the DVD.

Bye for now.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Cecil

#7 Post by Cecil »

Thank you for all your replies.

Cecil