Help with Gxine (Sort of Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
SirDuncan

Help with Gxine (Sort of Solved)

#1 Post by SirDuncan »

I'm building my own puplet from a puppylite 2.12 base. I want to include Gxine as a media player. Problem is, I can't seem to find all of the required libraries I need to install to make it work. Can anyone give me a full list of dependancies and tell me what packages the libraries are located in?
Also, one of the files it tells me it needs is "libmozjs.so". A brief forum search told me that this is a mozilla library. I'm wanting to use Opera. I copied the file from another copy of puppy, but I was curious as to whether I actually need it since I'm not using a mozilla based browser.
Thank you in advance.
Last edited by SirDuncan on Mon 12 Mar 2007, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

Gn2

#2 Post by Gn2 »

Code: Select all

find / -name "(g)xine"
whereis (xine_or_name of executeable)
ldd xine
OR Google keywords (gxine dependencies)
Mozilla can only be an "optional dependency"
Care must be taken to build Pkges for others only on "clean systems"
Or inadvertant dependencies get included.

HTH

SirDuncan

#3 Post by SirDuncan »

I had searched google before and only came up with files that do not appear in pupget. Out of frustration, I checked ibiblio directly and found that all the files I had been looking for are there. They just don't show up on pupget. So, I downloaded and installed them. It is still not working. These are the files I installed:
libdvdcss
libdvdread
xine-lib
glib
gtk+
atk
pango

The only file the page I looked at said I needed but I couldn't find on ibiblio was "xine-ui". I was hoping that this file wouldn't actually be necessary. When I run a dependency check on xine and gxine I am told that all dependencies are installed, yet when I click on the gxine nothing happens.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

Gn2

#4 Post by Gn2 »

Yes, I had difficulty making heads/tails out of google results too.

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/graphics/gxine

http://xinehq.de/

Are there no error Msg's ?

Perhaps in a hidden (dot) file of your home folder.
Check in /var/log folders for anythinhg related to gxine startup
See also if anything is in /tmp folder.
Without any indication of why it fails - pretty hard to trouble -shoot.

SirDuncan

#5 Post by SirDuncan »

The .gxine folder contains no error logs and neither of the other two folders contain anything gxine related.
As for error messages, there are none. I run gxine and absolutely nothing happens.
Also, the files that were not showing up in pupget, I found out why. They are built into the live CD, so when I ran pupget again it saw two instances of them and told me there was a conflict. It then removed the extra instances.

When I looked at the .gxine folder on another puppy installation (one where gxine came already installed and working) I found a file that is not there in mine. The file is named "socket". Does anybody know what this is and if it is what is causing my problem?

Gn2, thank you for your help so far. I really appreciate it.

Gn2

#6 Post by Gn2 »

Is it an empty fiel - named socket only - or socket localhost ?

I think that is created when the App is run - not really important nor anything related to not being able to run gxine.

SirDuncan

#7 Post by SirDuncan »

I've decided to give up on gxine for now. I installed VLC instead, and it works just fine. The Opera gxine plugin works without gxine installed, so I just paste the address into VLC instead of gxine. This works just about as well as if I had gxine installed.
Anyway, thanks for your help.