Canon PIXMA MG6320 problem

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
RichardG

Canon PIXMA MG6320 problem

#1 Post by RichardG »

Running Puppy 4.02 installed on a USB memory stick
Dell Inspiron 1200 hardware.
Canon PIXMA 6320, prints using wireless LAN from Windows machine.
Installed driver usng CUPS 1.4.8 which starts from the CUPS Wizard.
CUPS page copied below:
=================================================
Description: Canon MG6300 series
Driver: Canon PIXMA MG6320 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.10-pre2 (color, 2-sided printing)
Connection: bjnp://192.168.2.254:8611
Defaults: job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in sides=one-sided
===============================================
When I try to print a test page or a .txt file, the CUPS page shows the progress of the print job and finally says 'completed etc.' At the moment 'Completed etc.' appears, I can hear a beep coming from the printer. But no printed pages. And yes, there is paper in the tray; it's not jammed either.

If I need to download and install or change software; I need instructions at the novice level.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Have you read How to Install your Printer/Scanner in Puppy? Have you read the section on Canon printers?

Please describe exactly what you did to install the Canon driver.

Code: Select all

Driver: Canon PIXMA MG6320 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.10-pre2 (color, 2-sided printing)
Connection: bjnp://192.168.2.254:8611 
That's strange. It looks like you got the CUPS bjnp backend from a Canon vendor package, but installed the printer using a built-in Gutenprint driver.

RichardG

#3 Post by RichardG »

Have you read How to Install your Printer/Scanner in Puppy? Have you read the section on Canon printers?
I read the material. Unless I use the Puppy Package Manager I do not know how to load and install code that might be new or intended to update/replace existing code. So I worked with the CUPS Wizard included in my Puppy installation. First, I used the Puppy Package Manager to install these additional Canon drivers:
CUPS-backend-bjnp-_1.2-1
printer-driver-cjet_0.8.9-4

When using CUPS, I followed the steps where you add a new printer. CUPS showed the Canon PIXMA MG6320 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.10-pre2 driver and that seemed correct, so I accepted it. I did not write a log of each step; I am working from memory.
It looks like you got the CUPS bjnp backend from a Canon vendor package, but installed the printer using a built-in Gutenprint driver.
Sorry, that is over my head. Did I set up a conflict w/r to the drivers?

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

RichardG wrote:I read the material. Unless I use the Puppy Package Manager I do not know how to load and install code that might be new or intended to update/replace existing code. So I worked with the CUPS Wizard included in my Puppy installation. First, I used the Puppy Package Manager to install these additional Canon drivers: CUPS-backend-bjnp-_1.2-1 printer-driver-cjet_0.8.9-4
That won't work in Puppy. You need to follow the detailed instructions in Canon Printer Drivers - Updated 2014.

RichardG

#5 Post by RichardG »

That won't work in Puppy. You need to follow the detailed instructions in Canon Printer Drivers - Updated 2014.
I am trying to follow rcrsn51 recommendations above.

Step 1. from page 1 suggested above:
Update: Canon has introduced version 5 of their Linux printer driver for new MG and MB models. Most Puppies require a patch.

Code:
chmod 1777 /var/tmp

The patch is included in candi-1.4 attached below. As usual, it requires testing and feedback. This is basic forum courtesy. Also see Page 14 for the new tool candi-petmaker.

Update: The sections below used to contain many ready-made PETs for Canon printer drivers. But because of recent forum restrictions, most of them have been deleted. To let users install Canon printers on their own, I am introducing the Canon Debian Installer, or candi.

First, go here and read about debbi, particularly how to run it from the command line using tab-completion.
Step 2. In page 1 of  How to Install Brother Printers and Scanners I read multiple references to Debbie and Brother drivers.

Question: How do I modify the instructions to fit with Canon drivers?

Additional Question: Looking ahead, there is an instruction to go to the link http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42533

to locate the drivers needed (in my case Canon PIXMA MG 6320). The closest that I find is “Océ VarioPrint 6320 Ultra Line

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have built a PET installer for your MG6320 and posted it here. Click the small grey DOWNLOAD button on the LEFT.

RichardG

#7 Post by RichardG »

I have built a PET installer for your MG6320 and posted it here. Click the small grey DOWNLOAD button on the LEFT.
It is working now. Thank You. I don't know if you will find the event sequence below informative. It summaraizes the trial and error that I went through until I reached the point where the printer now works.

Downloaded the file above, saved and clicked on it. PPM shows installed and the Graphic Menu shows Canon scangearmp scanner.
Not sure what the next step should have been. When I click on on the line in the Graphic Menu, I do not see any sig n of activity.

I tried to print a .txt file, the CUPS manager came up but did not show the printer driver, only a .pdf option.

I went to Find New Printers, and looked for the newly 'installed' driver implied above but was uncertain which Canon driver to choose. The 1st time I tried the Canon MG6300 series Ver.3.80 (etc, etc.) entry I got a message that it something was wrong and the driver was not installed.

I made sure that all the previous Canon related packages were uninstalled and tried CUPS again. This time the MG6300 driver was successfully installed.

Thanks again for your help.