Puppy power! Finally ditched Windows

Promote Puppy !
grr_argh

Puppy power! Finally ditched Windows

#1 Post by grr_argh »

Well, I finally ditched Windows completely today :) As of now, my main system solely runs on puppy power! (Precise Puppy 5.7.1). Between managing to get most programs working natively under Puppy, and a few hold-outs under Wine - XP is no longer needed at all.

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

Congratulations! We love to hear whenever someone new adopts Puppy :D

If you hit any trouble, post a thread in Beginner's Help, and we'll see what we can do for you...

grr_argh

#3 Post by grr_argh »

Thanks! :) Fingers crossed all will be well, but always good to know help is at hand

rufwoof

Re: Puppy power! Finally ditched Windows

#4 Post by rufwoof »

grr_argh wrote:Well, I finally ditched Windows completely today :) As of now, my main system solely runs on puppy power!
I ditched XP in Feb 2014 and been exclusively using Puppy since. Took a few months to find the setup I liked and that's now cast in stone. No save file, puppy loads 100% into ram, exact same each and every reboot (together with all my regular apps, Libre Office, Skype ...etc.). I store data outside of puppy space and use Portable Firefox also outside of puppy space so that it auto updates to the latest version as and when released. Online email account. So puppy being 'fixed' is fine. If I need to make a change then I just remaster. Initially remastered a lot, haven't done so now for months.

Great thing about a stone cast puppy is that any a reboot fixes any virus or corruption of puppy configuration (factory fresh booted version each and every time).

Took a while to migrate from Excel to Libre Calc - getting used to how to do things. Now it would take a while to go in the opposite direction - not that I'm in any way tempted to do so.
Attachments
dt.png
(66.8 KiB) Downloaded 355 times

grr_argh

#5 Post by grr_argh »

A "fixed" puppy seems a very good idea to me. I used an Atari TT for years (still have it for some stuff) and having the OS burned into ROM was one of the things I liked most about the system, and disliked most about Windows.

Sylvander

#6 Post by Sylvander »

grr_argh wrote:A "fixed" puppy seems a very good idea to me.
Puli is this way by design.
Welcome to Puli 6.0.2, released March 2015
Version 6.0.3 is about to be released, you may want to wait for that.
Puli loads from a bootable Flash Drive, and once at the desktop tells the user not to remove the Flash, then once ready, to remove.
I have mine set up to auto-apply my personalizations before I remove the Flash Drive.
Otherwise you get the default Puli at every boot.
I also have mine set to:
Warn when it detects possibly malicious connections from the web...
Then it auto-disconnects from the web, sets the firewall to block such connections, then auto-re-connects to the web.
I use Puli for banking on the web.
Quote:
"The recommended browser (based on the default settings in the smartload file) is a properly sandboxed Chrome version 34 with Flash plugin version 14."