Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 23 Feb 2019, 14:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Adobe Reader 10 & 11? under Wine/VM Winlegs/ VM XP Home/Pro
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]  
perdido

PostPosted: Thu 27 Aug 2015, 10:37    Post subject:  Adobe Reader 10 & 11? under Wine/VM Winlegs/ VM XP Home/Pro
Subject description: Attempts at running the latest Adobe Reader using Linux

I recently ran into some interactive on-line pdf forms(from US VA) that required the browser plug-in for Adobe Reader 10 or later to fill out. I ended up using WinXP, as Adobe stopped supporting Unix based systems at version 9.5.5 of the reader and no longer supports Unix/Linux for this program. FWIW, the last Unix/Linux version is available here ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/unix/ The .deb file works in Puppy Precise 5.7.1, but has no /usr/share/applications/.desktop file, you will need to add one if you want it in the menu. It will run as an SFS. Most of the package installs to /opt/Adobe/

After doing what I needed using WinXP Pro, I tried (and failed) to discover a way to run the Adobe Reader 10.xx browser plug-in under wine. The Adobe Reader will not run in protected mode under wine, it seems to need protected mode? to support the browser plug-in. May be more issues than that, but the Adobe Reader will run stand-alone in wine when protected mode is disabled. There is no browser plug-in support under Wine. Dead end.

Then tried to run said program in WinXP for legacy PC's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Fundamentals_for_Legacy_PCs which is installed under Oracle VM Virtualbox on my Linux. Fail. Seems that version of XP is just different enough to make Adobe not run, even though it has its version of SP3 and updates. I would assume that Win2k will not work but have not tried it?

The answer ended up being WinXP Home or Pro under VM Virtualbox.

Other thoughts on this? What do you use?
cthisbear

PostPosted: Thu 27 Aug 2015, 18:52    Post subject:  

Use Foxit for XP.

It will default instead of crappy Adobe.

https://www.foxitsoftware.com/products/pdf-reader/

I imagine it will run in Wine.

Chris.
disciple

PostPosted: Thu 27 Aug 2015, 22:12    Post subject:  

Note that recent versions of Reader are much more unstable on Windows, so I presume that would be the case if you get them running on Wine too.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER
peterw

PostPosted: Fri 28 Aug 2015, 03:20    Post subject: Interactive pdf
Subject description: How to complete them in Linux

Hi perdido

I completed some interactive pdf forms the other day and my experience may help you in the future. As it so happens, I was using Mint 17.1. I just downloaded the form and opened it from the down load and I could then just complete the form. Some of the submission I typed in Geany and then copied and pasted it onto the form. In my case I printed the completed form and sent it back by post. At the time I thought no more about it.

I have just gone back and tried a few simple experiments:
1. In Puppy when you get a the pdf form I could not complete it.
2. In Mint you have the option of opening it or downloading it. and I could only complete it on the opened up downloaded form.

Hope this helps

peterw
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 28 Aug 2015, 07:18    Post subject:  

@peterw: Have a look at xournal as an off-line PDF annotator.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 03 Sep 2015, 13:51; edited 1 time in total
perdido

PostPosted: Fri 28 Aug 2015, 10:41    Post subject:  

I went back to the VA website and tried the adobe 9.5.5 browser plugin, some forms are version 9.xx and some version 10.xx, I wonder if this is deliberate. As a fix, they only point to version 10 & 11 versions of adobe, even on the version 9.xx forms. Hmm.

@cthisbear thanks for the suggestion, I had thought of the linux version of foxit but neglected the windows version (probably because was only thinking adobe in wine) so will give this a try.

@disciple unstable! Seems the norm for pdf viewers trying to keep up with the jonesies. What I remember liking about foxit was how light it was, and that it just worked.

@peterw my initial thought on my forms was to maybe download and then return by post after I ran into issues. Its aggravating that something that should be simple gets convoluted up in the politics of adobe and windows (and mac). BTW, adobe also supports android (google). It seems windows, mac, and google have undue influence with adobe.

@rcrsn51 I'll have a look at that one too.

Will post back after I get some more testing on this, the best solution would be to have linux-based functionality minus anything to do with microsoft products.
peterw

PostPosted: Fri 28 Aug 2015, 17:47    Post subject: Interactive pdf forms
Subject description: Ways to interact with pdf forms.

Hi

rcrsn51
I have tried xournal. I just downloaded the pet from
http://smokey01.com/software/slacko-5.7/Xournal-0.4.8-x86.pet
and installed it in UpUp-3.9.9. which is still one of my favourite Puppies. It runs without any problems on the limited play I have had with it. I have never used this programme before and am impressed by it. It works well. Whilst I can scribble write on a layer of the form, I can't type into it like I could do when I completed my form with Mint. (Hope I explained this OK).

perdido
I could have e-mailed my completed form back but the organisation that I needed to send my form to wanted a hard copy. I don't know if Mint have included Adobe or not but I could certainly type into it. The font sizing needed to be adjusted to make its appearance better but it worked fine and instead of a form completed with my scrawl I sent back a more readable typed out one.

peterw
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Fri 28 Aug 2015, 17:49    Post subject:  

Just another option that runs in xprecise.

Masterpdf edits pdf files, I packaged a version for xprecise some time back, it's a bit old now.

The latest is version 3.3.20 http://get.code-industry.net/public/master-pdf-editor-3.3.20_i386.tar.gz

Just extract it to /opt directory, there is a masterpdfeditor3.desktop file, just need to move that to /usr/share/applications/ it places it in the Utility menu.

Needs qt to run, these packages should be all that's needed.
libqtcore4_4.8.1-0ubuntu4.6_i386.pet
libqtgui4_4.8.1-0ubuntu4.6_i386.pet
libqt4-network_4.8.1-0ubuntu4.6_i386.pet
master-pdf-editor-3.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   87.19 KB
 Viewed   611 Time(s)

master-pdf-editor-3.jpg

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 28 Aug 2015, 19:12    Post subject: Re: Interactive pdf forms
Subject description: Ways to interact with pdf forms.

peterw wrote:
Whilst I can scribble write on a layer of the form, I can't type into it

Tools > Text works for me.
peterw

PostPosted: Sat 29 Aug 2015, 03:07    Post subject: pdf interactive forms
Subject description: xournal

Hi rcrsn51

Thanks for that tip. Yes, I can add text to a pdf form with xournal but when I save it, it saves as a .pdf.xoj file which is a zipped up collection of the original pdf file and 3 other files. This is fine if I wanted to print it. If I wanted to send the completed form back as a pdf then I guess there would be more steps to take.
When using Mint I found that the pdf "boxes" opened up so that I could type in them and when I saved it, it saved as a pdf form which I could send to anyone who could then open it on whatever system they have. They would see the original form with the typed in data.

I have not yet tried Geoffrey's suggestions. At the moment I have no need to fill in any forms and will pursue his suggestions when I need to do so.

Thanks
peterw
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 29 Aug 2015, 03:21    Post subject: Re: pdf interactive forms
Subject description: xournal

peterw wrote:
but when I save it, it saves as a .pdf.xoj file which is a zipped up collection of the original pdf file and 3 other files.

File > Export to PDF.
peterw

PostPosted: Sat 29 Aug 2015, 06:53    Post subject: pdf files with xournal
Subject description: convert xoj to pdf

Hi rcrsn51

Yes. You are right. I should have thought about that. Sometimes, I don't always spot the obvious.

Thanks
peterw
perdido

PostPosted: Sun 30 Aug 2015, 10:33    Post subject:  

Geoffrey wrote:
Just another option that runs in xprecise.
Masterpdf edits pdf files, I packaged a version for xprecise some time back, it's a bit old now.
The latest is version 3.3.20 http://get.code-industry.net/public/master-pdf-editor-3.3.20_i386.tar.gz

Thanks Geoffrey, will look at this.

Edit
I like this program a lot and built an sfs of version 3.3.20, it runs fine in puppy precise 5.7.1 and probably other late model puppies.
Available here-->http://www.ibm-pc.org/puppy/master-pdf-editor-3.3.20_qt4_i386.sfs
MD5 - d165eb3dc04e92edc6c83c9fdee7410d
Size - 14.6MB

Thanks to Geoffrey for pointing this program out and supplying the missing QT libraries. Smile

Newer sfs of version 3.4.03 from Geoffrey available here---->http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=865020#865020

Last edited by perdido on Sat 26 Sep 2015, 16:55; edited 3 times in total
perdido

PostPosted: Tue 01 Sep 2015, 12:37    Post subject:  

The only true linux solution I found is the linux version of adobe reader 9.55. It works as long as the XFA document requires up to adobe version 9.xx , if the XFA form requires adobe 10.xx or later there is no linux solution because adobe quit supporting linux at version 9.55. There are no other programs that edit and save the XFA PDF files.

This link helps describe the problem. https://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/792447-3-alternatives-to-the-adobe-pdf-reader-on-linux

The following links may help someone that stumbles on this thread.

The adobe reader v9.55 that has the firefox plug-in can be downloaded from here--> ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/unix/ for now.

I made an sfs of it so I could use it and uninstall it as needed, available here--> http://www.ibm-pc.org/puppy/AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i386linux_enu.sfs , the sfs runs fine in puppy precise 5.7.1 and should work in many other late model puppy versions.
MD5 - 179e501aa759c0c219f41ada1c3ae2a0
Size - 47.9MB

Installation of the adobe plugin to firefox is not automatic. The instructions for installing the plugin are located in /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Browser/HowTo/ENU/Browser_Plugin_HowTo.txt , this text states the supported browsers are firefox 2.0 or higher. My guess is this should include seamonkey if seamonkey has a plugins folder, no promise on that.

The adobe firefox plugin install program is located at /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Browser/install_browser_plugin

The program install_browser_plugin needs to be run from a terminal window. It prompts for input, I chose option 1 (Global Installation), that searches your system and installs where it thinks the plugin belongs, it installed the plugin to /usr/lib/Mozilla/plugins/ on my system. Your /plugins/ folder may be in a different location.

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep 2015, 09:11    Post subject:  

I've found a program called PDF-XChange. It has a free version which is suitable for limited use;

http://lifehacker.com/5842130/the-best-pdf-viewereditor-for-windows

If all you want is a simple pdf reader that runs in Windows XP (or Wine), I can recommend this one;

http://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/free-pdf-reader.html

Acer Aspire M1610 (Core 2 Duo, 2.3 GHz), 3 GB of RAM, 320 GB hard drive running Sparky 4.7 (32-bit), Emmabuntus 3.1.02, Devuan 2.0.0, AntiX 17.2 (32-bit), Debian 9.6, Puppy Xenial 7.5 CE, Pardus 17.4, CrunchBang++ and Puppy 5.7 Retro.
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: