Ashley Madison data breach

For discussions about security.
Ted Dog

#21 Post by Ted Dog »

Presumably if its on a sig line its what that person identifies with.. You just reinforced yours.. 8)

As a man who got paid for scientific work, there is no need to view those who espouses historic faith as stupid, there is no shortage of science holes that need to be understood. Science is a tool and methodology for reproducible results not a proof of intellectual supremacy or even a logical way to base a life view. Not that people I worked with/for did not try to make sport of people of faith, they also seemed very depressed when faced with real life downturns, which occurs even more if your life is your job and your self measure.

starhawk

#22 Post by starhawk »

I think, should you actually read the text in my sig, you'll find that it rather does not support your statement. It actually gives Jesus quite a bit of positive credit. I am, however, calling out those who do Nasty Things in his name and saying, maybe you should take a closer look at what you say you believe in.

I have no issue in and of itself with Christianity or, for that matter, any other religion, as long as its followers are reasonably honest and reasonably civil.

It is a matter of ethics and morality, for the most part, whether you actually adhere to what you claim to believe in. (Obviously it is better to adhere than not; I don't think you'll find much disagreement there.) However, irrespective of your beliefs, if you act in a manner that affects yourself or others in a negative fashion... that needs to stop. I cannot necessarily force you to stop, nor in most cases will I even bother to try. (That's outside of my job description unless we're dealing with serious physical violence or the like.) However, I will make you aware that what you are doing is wrong, that you should stop --or at least pause to consider your reasoning and the implications of your proposed actions-- and that you may or may not (depending on the prospective deed) incur criminal penalties (or worse) if you actually carry out your intentions.

I ask pretty much the same of everyone, from eBay sellers to the more fervently religious amongst us. Know what you're doing, do it well, and don't knowingly hurt others while you're at it. That's about it...

Ted Dog

#23 Post by Ted Dog »

Realy good reply starhawk..... :shock:

solo

#24 Post by solo »

It is quite plainly observable that the main issue people are struggling over concerning the Ashley Madison case, is one of morality.

An often overlooked aspect of morality is its relativity. In so much that the values that one person holds dear, are not automatically held in equal regard by someone else.
And it that respect, morality is not an absolute.
There are a lot of differences in how people perceive their reality, and therefore, there are also a lot of differences in how people justify their own behavior, or that of others, for that matter.

But because we often make the mistake of regarding morality as something absolute, we tend to judge peoples behavior by our standards of right and wrong.
Of course we have every right to do so, and I am not saying we shouldn't, but what I am saying, is that we would find more room for acceptance, both of self and the world, if we would be also be aware of the relative aspect of our morals.

Your standards are for you to live up to.

gcmartin

#25 Post by gcmartin »

Yes @TLCHOST, sadly, I was indirectly pointing a finger at your attempt to degenerate this thread to some political direction. And, it has caused the disturbing concern that begins to allow people to camp into something beyond the ideas of technology directions and discussion of technology concerns.

This in case you missed, it the Puppy Linux Discussion Forum. It is a technical forum about a technical product and any technology that surrounds it. You may have also missed that, YES, it has an area called Off-Topic designed for items which do not fit nicely into the predesignated areas for TECHNOLOGY discussions already laid-out. And you, by your own views TWIST its meaning to mean that it is fair game to bring US politics to an INTERNATIONAL TECHNICAL FORUM where you feel it necessary to spread messages spiteful and designed to expand HATE by using this thread in this topic area of this community as an opportunity for such.

My concern is WHY? Why does the world of people who use the forum need that behavior? How does that behave expand knowledge or discussion about technical issues in the forum of a worldwide community? No other country's members do so, but YOU believe it prudent.... why? And please stop the crap of censorship...that again is a twist to encourage more and others to turn the forum into a US Political nightmare...as is apparent in what you share.

The world does NOT need this kind of US divisive behavior in this worldwide "Puppy Linux Discussion Forum"

Respectfully!

P.S. I dont hate the US or any country. I do recognize bad behavior. That is NOT censorship by any stretch.

tlchost

#26 Post by tlchost »

gcmartin wrote:Yes @TLCHOST, sadly, I was indirectly pointing a finger at your attempt to degenerate this thread to some political direction.
You might reread the thread, the post previous to mine....it appears that too might be viewed as political. Since you did not chide that poster, I have to assume:
You can't read and comprehend,
or
Your agenda clouds your observational skills.

starhawk

#27 Post by starhawk »

@ solo -- well put :) I don't think I'd be able to phrase that one better myself.

@ Ted -- I can't honestly tell at the moment whether your reply was serious or sarcasm (a casualty of text communications as well as the fact that I slept horribly last night) -- but I'll definitely give you the benefit of the doubt here. Thanks for the compliment, and I'm sorry that my sig led to that misunderstanding.

For the record I do have something of an aversion to religion on the whole, but that does not mean that I tell strangers that it's bad for them. (I only do that with smoking. Cigarettes took my grandmother, so in that case it's personal.)

Ted Dog

#28 Post by Ted Dog »

Agree keep the political party fighting out of linux fourms there are better places to go for that.
However the website hack or crack is technically based and of some the "morality" issues is humorous since its about the reasons someone would hack or crack computers , and the dualism of morality demonstrated.

Neither I or gcm can censor anyone but others can! Question is why would any Mod need to if we keep on topic and not slide into bashing people of faith and politics?
As for sig lines I am against any branding myself personally and can't find any one saying I would want to.slap on every post. I do find it helpful in understanding persons agendas if posts are unclear. But that.does cause issues that Starhawk clearedup in this thread.

Ted Dog

#29 Post by Ted Dog »

Personal note, I am so anti branding that my family does humorously buy me clothes T shirt and hats with big old stinking branding. Oh it if you guys knew my real.name its even more humorous. Since its slapped on half the under 20 yo t shirts.

bark_bark_bark

#30 Post by bark_bark_bark »

tlchost wrote:
bark_bark_bark wrote: Why would republicans want to shut own a site they all use, like Ashely Madison?
Sorry your ID was exposed, but at least we now know what you do in your spare time.
1) Why would I use a site like that?

2) I'm not even old enough to sign up for an online dating site of any kind.

3) Most of theses conservative/christian public figures have an account there; almost no liberal public figures had one.

4) you're just being a troll.

rokytnji

#31 Post by rokytnji »

Meh, relationships vary from couple to couple as I spend my time on earth.

If both enter the relationship on being true.
Then being untrue by one in the relationship is being tool.
It gives the other the right to chastise short of physical violence.

If they are swingers. Who cares? I don't. Just don't sidle up to my relationship and try to drag us into your druthers.

Sucks that other people think that they have the ticket to proper moral behavior. Folks have been known to die over that.

Hope no one was given a dirt nap or their lives ruined over the data breach.
No matter what uptight/closed minded, homophobic old fart thinks about that.

The creeps are the ones who breached the site. Not the members participating.
None of my business on
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 175551926/

Ted Dog

#32 Post by Ted Dog »

wow a chief of the local fusion ( regional law enforcement co-op) killed himself over this data breach less than 10 miles from my Ranch. Did not know about it until today
Small place most likey bump into him sometime over the decade or so since moving here.
:shock:

nubc

#33 Post by nubc »

Would it surprise anybody here to learn that most of the female profiles were fake profiles? Fantasy playground for married men.

bark_bark_bark

#34 Post by bark_bark_bark »

nubc wrote:Would it surprise anybody here to learn that most of the female profiles were fake profiles? Fantasy playground for married men.
See, I don't really believe that this is the case.

solo

#35 Post by solo »

Here's an insightful article about the Ashley Madison fembots:

http://gizmodo.com/how-ashley-madison-h ... 1728410265

So yeah. It was a scam.

James186282

#36 Post by James186282 »

Just my two cents worth.

My friends. If you've never been cheated on you probably can't understand how awful it can be. Think curled up on the floor totally loosing it level pain or calling the suicide hotline level messed up. Oh and don't forget the waiting to get the results of your stds (VD/AIDs HIV) tests. Thats a real laugh riot. So I'm suggesting that anger at the people who created Ashley Madison and the users of this system is probably not very well understood by people without this problem. Like Cancer - To my worst enemy I hope this doesn't happen to you.

The suggestion that the politics of one group being the prime users of cheating sites is... really quite sad. I really don't see any reason to redirect the issue to the sickening world of politics. *Personally I think left and right are equally against the best interests of the average joe or jane. I think the numbers of married people who want to streamline their ability to fuck random people with the new enhanced world of technology is the issue. What does it some down to? Is this just Hackers fucking with people to amuse themselves? Sadly most of us have government agencies (left and right) that seem to have made this into an art. Is this someone who was cheated on turn on the light and watch the cockroaches run? I for one say GOOD!

I was going to end this with "Brought to you by the makers of Antidepressants" but thats not really true or a joke.

If anyone finds their significant other on the Ashley Madison list I hope you will check out http://www.dearpeggy.com/index.html
and http://beyondaffairsnetwork.com/ and no matter how much it sucks PLEASE don't hurt yourself or anyone else because no one is worth it.
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]