Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 11:04
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
MintPup (Trusty LTS)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 11 of 23 [332 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 21, 22, 23 Next
mcewanw

PostPosted: Mon 24 Aug 2015, 04:07    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:

Btw, how do you normally set the number of desktops? I can't find how to

Hi Fred, Toni,

Started a new thread for WM menu discussions and posted my reply to above on it here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=861564#861564

William

fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 24 Aug 2015, 12:29    Post subject:  

Quote:
Btw, how do you normally set the number of desktops? I can't find how

By changing $HOME/.jwm/jwm.tail and refreshing the menus. In case changing the theme from /opt/docs/jwm-themes repeat the same change or add it in all files inside /opt/docs/jwm-themes

Ah, I see, I just looked for a menu entry to set it.

Fred
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 24 Aug 2015, 19:56    Post subject: Congrats  

Hi Toni, Wanderer and all who have participated in creating MintPup. Congratulations.

USB-Key install running well on a Dell Latitude E6400. Answering the question recently posed on the "Wm Menu systems" thread: "Why Now?" Chalk it up to serendipity.

"I'm really getting too old for this" -- learning new stuff, that is. The debian-dogs and MintPup are different than Pup: similar but different. And scanning the relevant threads now and then left me with the impression that either a USB-Key or an entire hard-drive partition would be needed to install. Please correct the last assumption if I'm in error. [I appreciate that once installed, other Pups can easily be added, especially as Grub4dos can be used as bootloader]. Unused hard-drive partitions are hard to come by. And while USB-Keys are cheap, mine usually get used as soon as I acquire them.

But recently I was using one in an unsuccessful effort to explore UEFI booting without an UEFI computer. Now having an unused USB-Key I asked myself "What can I do with this?" And there it was, MintPup at the top of the Projects Subforum. Serendipity.

I've always liked Linux Mint. So I guess I'm going to have to read thru the "How To" thread and learn some new things. Mad Wink Well, thanks anyway. Smile

mikesLr

P.S. It's early days yet, but perhaps not too early to begin thinking about how MintPup and the Debian-dogs are going to be able to run from Windows 10 UEFI computers which will not allow their owners to turn off "Secure boot."
saintless

PostPosted: Tue 25 Aug 2015, 02:17    Post subject: Re: Congrats  

mikeslr wrote:
And scanning the relevant threads now and then left me with the impression that either a USB-Key or an entire hard-drive partition would be needed to install. Please correct the last assumption if I'm in error.

Only full install needs entire partition.
Frugal install will copy DD/MintPup without erasing other linux on the same partition. You can also copy /live (or /casper) directory from the iso and add menu entries manually in your boot loader reading the boot code examples in DD and MintPup thread.
Quote:
P.S. It's early days yet, but perhaps not too early to begin thinking about how MintPup and the Debian-dogs are going to be able to run from Windows 10 UEFI computers which will not allow their owners to turn off "Secure boot."

I don't have hardware for testing boot on UEFI computer. Maybe someone will post instruction how to do it in time.
Quote:
I've always liked Linux Mint. So I guess I'm going to have to read thru the "How To" thread and learn some new things. Mad Wink Well, thanks anyway. Smile

I'm afraid you will not find anything from Linux Mint look in MintPup. But you can install what you need from Mint Rebecca and Ubuntu repository.

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 27 Aug 2015, 15:51    Post subject:  

Hi All,

For those having the same issue as I have with firefox, address bar distorted view (see attached screenhot)), this will probably solve it:

Go to Extra >Add-ons , search for 'fxchrome'. install Addon: FXChrome, and activate it, then after restarting firefox, the addressbar will display as it should be.

Fred
2015-08-27-193618_498x49_scrot.png
 Description   Firefox distorted address bar view
 Filesize   3.83 KB
 Viewed   1211 Time(s)

2015-08-27-193618_498x49_scrot.png

mcewanw

PostPosted: Mon 31 Aug 2015, 03:04    Post subject:  

Hi Fred,

I don't have that firefox problem (using ver 40.0.3).

By the way, I'm impressed with Kingston Office (now called WPS), which I've installed in MintPup as described in via following link:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=862264#862264

EDIT: Aah, but I've just read that it puts watermark on printed docs after 30 days? I don't know if that is the case ... but if only on printed docs watermark, could still be useful. Also, I can't see that issue mentioned for this version - maybe they removed that limitation?

William

mcewanw

PostPosted: Mon 31 Aug 2015, 18:50    Post subject: Kingston wps-office sfs by perdito works fine in DD/MintPup
Subject description: I think it is safe with dpkg database

Hi Toni and Fred,

I've also now tried loading perdido's sfs of Kingston wps-office in both DebianDog Squeeze and in MintPup and it works fine in both. Since Kingston have packaged it as effectively standalone (with its special Qt libs all included in main install dir /opt/kingston/wps-office) I think it is safe and useful to use in DD/MintPup:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=862251#862251

Nevertheless, Kingston do provide 32bit and 64bit deb packages and I have it installed that way in my own main system. I don't think this version has any time-limit (no future problem with watermarks on printouts as far as I have checked). Only major limitation seems to be that its Spreadsheet doesn't have Charts/Graphs module. I added some extra tt fonts on my installation (actually perdido seems to have added a few on his sfs - hopefully that doesn't cause any potential dpkg issues - I prefer to add fonts directly on the system). The wordprocessor looks great and very fast loading compared to LibreOffice.

William

EDIT: On a different subject, I've contacted Terry (sunburnt) to request wallpaper.gui source code so continuing to wait on him getting back to me on that. I think he mustn't be logging into the puppy forum very often so won't have seen my message. If no source code still available, I will probably use an alternative.

mcewanw

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep 2015, 00:47    Post subject: need more space on rootfs  

Hi Toni and Fred,

I've successfully used apt-get to install qt5 development environment on full Linux Mint xfce and I'm not trying to do the same on MintPup. However, I'm having the problem that I get error message because of 'rootfs' filling up. Is there someway of increasing the rootfs size prior to installation (the ubuntu-sdk installation I'm using for qt5 is huge)? My machine has 2GB RAM but I'm not using any swap file or partition.

William

saintless

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep 2015, 01:55    Post subject: Re: need more space on rootfs  

mcewanw wrote:
Is there someway of increasing the rootfs size prior to installation (the ubuntu-sdk installation I'm using for qt5 is huge)? My machine has 2GB RAM but I'm not using any swap file or partition.

William

Hi William.
I think swap file ( swap partition) will not increase rootfs size and there is no way to do this after you started installing packages.
Maybe this information from Fred will help you:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=787031#787031
If it is frugal install is there a problem to use casper-rw save partition or file?

Edit: For full install I see some suggestions like this one:
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/157760/full-rootfs-on-big-hardisk-installation-or-update-software-not-possible

Toni
mcewanw

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep 2015, 06:28    Post subject: Re: need more space on rootfs  

saintless wrote:

If it is frugal install is there a problem to use casper-rw save partition or file?

Hi Toni, thanks for your suggestioninsts. I think the problem is because I am using save on EXIT porteus method and since the installation is so huge it is filling up RAM until a save2flash occurs (which doesn't during the installation. At least, I imagine that is the issue. I expect it will all work if I just allow save during installation (take out the EXIT in menu.lst).

William

By the way, I do have qt5, qtcreator, working with lots of qt5 programming examples. They look very nice... However, no wonder we use bash, gtkdialog, yad, or BaCon and HUG... I forgot how horrible C++ is (even though I used to do a lot of C programming). I'm afraid I am not willing to mould my brain into such heavy object oriented code thinking - I can imagine a person becoming skilled at that, but just not me! So back to BaCon experimentation instead... I was only qt tempted because of the cross-platform capability, but the pain is too great.

fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep 2015, 11:15    Post subject:  

Hi William,

Quote:
I think the problem is because I am using save on EXIT porteus method and since the installation is so huge it is filling up RAM until a save2flash occurs (which doesn't during the installation. At least, I imagine that is the issue. I expect it will all work if I just allow save during installation (take out the EXIT in menu.lst).

Yes, that's a disadvantage of the EXIT: option, but you can set the ramsize to full at boot command line:
Code:
ramsize=100%

The default is 60%
I have 1.5 GB RAM, output of df -h with the default 60% :

Code:
root@jessie:~# df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
aufs            905M   29M  876M   4% /

With ramsize=100%, Size would be around 1500M for me.

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Sun 06 Sep 2015, 14:30    Post subject: Re: Kingston wps-office sfs by perdito works fine in DD/MintPup
Subject description: I think it is safe with dpkg database

mcewanw wrote:
Hi Toni and Fred,

I've also now tried loading perdido's sfs of Kingston wps-office in both DebianDog Squeeze and in MintPup and it works fine in both. Since Kingston have packaged it as effectively standalone (with its special Qt libs all included in main install dir /opt/kingston/wps-office) I think it is safe and useful to use in DD/MintPup:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=862251#862251

Nevertheless, Kingston do provide 32bit and 64bit deb packages and I have it installed that way in my own main system. I don't think this version has any time-limit (no future problem with watermarks on printouts as far as I have checked). Only major limitation seems to be that its Spreadsheet doesn't have Charts/Graphs module. I added some extra tt fonts on my installation (actually perdido seems to have added a few on his sfs - hopefully that doesn't cause any potential dpkg issues - I prefer to add fonts directly on the system). The wordprocessor looks great and very fast loading compared to LibreOffice.

Hi William.

Sorry for the late reply but I didn't have time to test it till now.
Perdido's sfs of Kingston wps-office is safe to use in all DebianDog and MintPup looking the content inside.
As you wrote it works as it is in DD-Squeeze and MintPup.
But in DD-Wheezy and Jessie it gives missing readelf command message.
Easy to fix with:
Code:
sudo apt-get install binutils

Unfortunately for me it doesn't start on my main machine (probably the same SSE2 problem I have with Skype and Vivaldi/Opera) and can't share any opinion about the product.
I will add your post in Related links section.

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 07 Sep 2015, 16:02    Post subject:  

Hi All,

Openbox-mintpup setup needed a fix because of conflicting with new package jwm-obmenu (Menu Openbox for Jwm) if it's installed and menu-openbox is active.

See also Edit here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=860547#860547

Download for new version 0.0.3 , with conflicts fixed :
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ8K5bUsxVnhCTkhoZDA/openbox-mintpup_setup-0.0.3.tar.gz

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Tue 08 Sep 2015, 01:21    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Download for new version 0.0.3 , with conflicts fixed :
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ8K5bUsxVnhCTkhoZDA/openbox-mintpup_setup-0.0.3.tar.gz

Thanks Fred.

Openbox and tint2 debs now available in MintPup repository to make the install process easier.
Latest DogRadio available in Mintpup, DD-Wheezy and DD-Jessie repositories.

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 08 Sep 2015, 11:59    Post subject:  

Thanks Toni,

I edited my post about openbox-mintpup by adding info that it can be installed by 'apt-get install openbox-mintpup'

Fred
Page 11 of 23 [332 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 21, 22, 23 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: