Pure FTP user setup

Using applications, configuring, problems
cprivers

Pure FTP user setup

#1 Post by cprivers »

I am running Pure FTP on Wary 5.5 and I have it running but I want to set up users and point them to a specific directory. The command I am supposed to use according to the docs is pure-pw, but this file does not exist on the computer. Is there some place I should get it, or should I be doing something else?

EDIT: I found pureftp.pup and installed it, so now I have the pure-pw program, but after running it to add my user & password, I can't ftp in with that user & password. It works only if I allow anonymous access. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chuck
[i]It's always easy when you know how![/i]

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Chuck, any specific reason you're trying to use Pure-FTPd?

If you provide a brief rundown of what you're wanting to do, there's probably a more convenient alternative.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Geoffrey

#3 Post by Geoffrey »

If you aren't objectionable to running wine, Quick ‘n Easy FTP Server Lite Version 3.2 works.
It minimizes to the system tray in xfce panel, not sure with other panels.
http://www.pablosoftwaresolutions.com/h ... _lite.html
Attachments
Quick_n_Easy_FTP_Server_Lite_Version_3.2.png
(35.74 KiB) Downloaded 1153 times
Quick_n_Easy_FTP_Server_Lite_Version_3.2-2.png
(8.71 KiB) Downloaded 1067 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

cprivers

#4 Post by cprivers »

Semme wrote:Chuck, any specific reason you're trying to use Pure-FTPd?

If you provide a brief rundown of what you're wanting to do, there's probably a more convenient alternative.
I just want to be able to use FTP. I don't care what flavor it is. Pure was the only thing I got running. I finally discovered that I had to make entries in the passwd file. The database that Pure is supposed to use didn't work.

I also switched over to Racy because I needed dual processor support. If there was something built-in for FTP, I couldn't get it to work, but I can't remember the particulars. For some reason, setting up FTP has always been the hardest for me, no matter what OS I am using.

cprivers

#5 Post by cprivers »

Geoffrey,

That looks good! I will check it out and see if it is as easy to set up as it looks.

Thanks!

WB7ODYFred

PureFTP setup Article

#6 Post by WB7ODYFred »

http://articlebin.michaelmilette.com/se ... in-ubuntu/

I see that you want to setup a FTP server with ? virtual users ?
Hope this helps you.

http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/pureftp.htm
https://www.pureftpd.org/project/pure-ftpd/doc

More usage notes from Arch Linux.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pure-FTPd
Please edit/write [SOLVED] in the headline when you get a FTP server running, which ever one FTP server works for you. Share the steps that made it work for you.

Fred

WB7ODYFred

From Michaels website

#7 Post by WB7ODYFred »

Setting Pure-FTPd to Start-up When the Server Restarts

Important: You must do the following or the server will not recognize virtual users after you restart the server:

Code: Select all

cd /etc/pure-ftpd.conf

sudo echo 'no' > PAMAuthentication

sudo echo 'no' > UnixAuthentication

sudo echo '/etc/pure-ftpd/pureftpd.pdb' > PureDB

sudo ln -s ../conf/PureDB /etc/pure-ftpd/auth/50pure
Virtual Directories

#pure-pw mkdb
Pure-FTPd supports virtual symbolic links (a.k.a. symlinks) to directories in other places on the server -- outside your home directory. For example, you can create one using the following commands:

Create a symlinks to each of the different areas on the server that they will need access to:

ln -s /var/www /home/ftpuser/www

To remove a symbolic link, simply delete it. Example:

rm /home/ftpuser/www
This will only delete the symbolic link and not the contents of the folder. Just be sure it is a symbolic link and not a mounded directory though.

If you have any trouble making changes to files on your Apache server, try adding www-data to the ftpgroup group.

http://download.pureftpd.org/pure-ftpd/ ... tual-Users
Last edited by WB7ODYFred on Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.

WB7ODYFred

Debian Help file for PureFTP

#8 Post by WB7ODYFred »

from Debian Help File URL right http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/pureftp.htm

We will be issuing usernames and passwords for our FTP server, we will not be allowing anonymous logins, this is where the -l switch we used above comes in, PureFTPd has the ability to manage Virtual Users, which, put simply means the user doesn't actually exist as far as your system is concerned, only PureFTPd knows about these user types. We do this with another PureFTPd command called pure-pw, but first we need to create a system user and group to which all virtual users will be associated, literally thousands of virtual users can share the same system username as long as they are all chrooted and have their own home directory. So as root issue the following commands at your terminal prompt:

#groupadd ftpgroup

#useradd -g ftpgroup -d /dev/null -s /etc ftpuser
From now on out all maintenance of virtual users will be done using pure-pw, now lets go ahead and create our first user. As always, there are lots of options you can use when creating virtual users, we'll use a few in this example, but you can always get a full list by typing pure-pw --help at your terminal prompt, or by reading the README.Virtual-Users file included with the sourceball. So lets create a user call mike, issue the following command at your terminal prompt as root:

#pure-pw useradd test1 -u ftpuser -d /home/ftpusers/test1
Here we have added the virtual user test1, associated him with the system user account ftpuser, made sure he will only have access to his directory by chrooting him -d and told PureFTPd to create test1's home directory, which it will do on the fly as we started the service with the -j switch mentioned previously. Now before this account is usable we need to commit our changes, issue the following command at your terminal prompt to accomplish that:

#pure-pw mkdb
This creates the file mentioned earlier called /etc/pureftpd.pdb, this file houses all information related to your virtual users, there is no need to restart your service when issuing this command as it is updated on the fly and changes take effect immediately. Lets say test1 forgot his password and wants it changed, here's what you'd do:

#pure-pw passwd test1
Enter test1's new password, then commit your changes by updating pureftpd.pdb:

#pure-pw mkdb
Thats it, test1 is ready to go, now lets say test1 has become a liability and you want to get rid of him, just do the following:

#pure-pw userdel test1
This deletes test1's login, but not his home directory, directories must be deleted manually if desired. Ok, now that test1 was deleted, lets say we have another user named ruchi, and we want to check his current account settings, simply issue the following command:

#pure-pw show ruchi

cprivers

#9 Post by cprivers »

WB7ODYFred,

I didn't see the stuff in your first post when I was researching how to do this, but I did see the stuff in your second post. I tried that but Pure did not seem to read the PureDB file. The only way I got it to work was to create a new user in passwd with adduser, and then change the path in there for the path I want to use for the user. Maybe this is a Puppy issue or maybe I have to do the steps in your first post.

"useradd" does not exist on the computer, but there is "adduser". I don't know if this was a mistake or if there is supposed to be "useradd" too. "pure-pw useradd" is valid, but I didn't go there because I was confused. I figured that if the first reference to "useradd" was wrong, then there would have been a correction or mention of it in the post, but there was not.

I may try to use the "pure-pw useradd" method, but for now I have it working and I don't expect to have to add a lot of users.

Thanks

cprivers

Re: From Michaels website

#10 Post by cprivers »

WB7ODYFred wrote:Setting Pure-FTPd to Start-up When the Server Restarts

Important: You must do the following or the server will not recognize virtual users after you restart the server:

cd /etc/pure-ftpd.conf

sudo echo 'no' > PAMAuthentication

sudo echo 'no' > UnixAuthentication

sudo echo '/etc/pure-ftpd/pureftpd.pdb' > PureDB

sudo ln -s ../conf/PureDB /etc/pure-ftpd/auth/50pure
Virtual Directories

#pure-pw mkdb
Pure-FTPd supports virtual symbolic links (a.k.a. symlinks) to directories in other places on the server -- outside your home directory. For example, you can create one using the following commands:

Create a symlinks to each of the different areas on the server that they will need access to:

ln -s /var/www /home/ftpuser/www

To remove a symbolic link, simply delete it. Example:

rm /home/ftpuser/www
This will only delete the symbolic link and not the contents of the folder. Just be sure it is a symbolic link and not a mounded directory though.

If you have any trouble making changes to files on your Apache server, try adding www-data to the ftpgroup group.

http://download.pureftpd.org/pure-ftpd/ ... tual-Users
There is no directory called /etc/pure-ftpd.conf, so the cd command won't work. There is not a file by that name either. Perhaps the directory exists on a Debian system.

Chuck