#281 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All,

*** New DogRadio v 0.0.5 ***

Only change: Added option to rip the radio stream, see more, Edit5, here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 507#854507

Fred

saintless

#282 Post by saintless »

Latest dogradio uploaded in DD-Wheezy, Jessie and MintPup repo.
Fixes post in DD-Jessie and MintPup updated with new gnome-mplayer-1.0.7 fixed deb package information.

Toni

dancytron

#283 Post by dancytron »

Jessie openbox version.

Not sure why, but after I did an upgrade using synaptic, gtk-youtube-viewer didn't work anymore. It would load gmplayer but nothing would play.

To fix it, I changed mplayer to mpv in the preferences file.

Code: Select all

video_player_selected         => "mpv",
Not sure why I knew to do this, it was just something out of the back of my head. Anyway, that seemed to fix it.

saintless

#284 Post by saintless »

dancytron wrote:Not sure why I knew to do this, it was just something out of the back of my head. Anyway, that seemed to fix it.
Yes, Fred posted few times about this problem and upgraded package is available in Wheezy and Jessie repo:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 426#860426
Latest OpenBox-Jessie should not have this poblem.
Changing the settings to mpv or upgrading youtube-viewer package should fix this in older OpenBox-Jessie versions.

Toni

fredx181

#285 Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote:Jessie openbox version.

Not sure why, but after I did an upgrade using synaptic, gtk-youtube-viewer didn't work anymore. It would load gmplayer but nothing would play.

To fix it, I changed mplayer to mpv in the preferences file.

video_player_selected         => "mpv",
Not sure why I knew to do this, it was just something out of the back of my head. Anyway, that seemed to fix it.
Yes, as Toni wrote, mpv is default for new gtk-youtube-viewer in latest DD openbox_xfce iso's
But upgrading to latest youtube-viewer package in older DD versions is not enough as the configuration in $HOME/.config is not updated for that.

BTW, just for info, to get the best experience from gtk-youtube-viewer you might like to have 'youtube-dl' installed.
(no exceptions then for viewing or downloading)

https://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/

Download, make it executable and place it somewhere in PATH, e.g. /usr/local/bin, or:
Install 'youtube-get2' package from DD repository (it includes youtube-dl)
(youtube-dl and youtube-get2 depend on python)

Fred

dancytron

#286 Post by dancytron »

Okay, thanks.

Dan

fredx181

#287 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni, William,

Breaking the silence with some bugs I found in debdog-install. see below.

How's life? Busy with some secret project or maybe just taking a rest from all the great effort taken in last year? :)

Me, my old laptop sort of died (screen always fall out) so got busy getting and setting up another one now, much faster (dual core) and (finally, after trying out first Windows 7) installed windows 10 on it along with Debian-Standard-Full/DebianDog/Mintpup (multiple boot setup), works nicely. I found out about the bugs in debdog-install when creating this setup.

Two bugs I found:
- When canceling the bootloader install, the bootflag is set to the partition selected, which should not, IMO.(Windows would not start for me because I selected sda3, so sda1 (with Windows) wasn't marked as active partition anymore)
I think, when canceling the bootloader install it should just copy the files, nothing more.

- When a device is mounted more than once (might happen specially when using porteus-boot) you might get strange effect, see screenshot attached.

What do you think? Anyway I made new debdog-install with fixes for these issues, search for '20151011 fredx181 change' in the script for what I changed.

Fred
Attachments
debdog-install.tar.gz
Fixed debdog installer
(6.95 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
multiple-mountpoints.png
Unexpected install path when device is mounted more than once.
(23.96 KiB) Downloaded 899 times

saintless

#288 Post by saintless »

Hi Fred.

In my opinion it is better to fix the bugs with updated deb packages after some testing. But it is better to wait for answer from William first.

I'm fine otherwise. Busy with other things but checking the threads for questions mostly. And exploring very old Debian versions when I have time. Trying to make well working live CD without Xorg but with working apt-get and archive repoes and converting some DD scripts into bash code without extra dependencies. Attached some examples if you like to see part of my secret retro-debian-sarge-etch-lenny project (not tested in DD). Nice to see so well working Debian archive repoes and fast and light Gnome and KDE available.

Toni
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(62.76 KiB) Downloaded 840 times
scripts-sarge-etch-lenny.tar.gz
Remaster and install cli scripts for old Debian (3.1; 4.0; 5.10). Don't use them in DebianDog.
(3.53 KiB) Downloaded 286 times

atv

Script translation

#289 Post by atv »

augras wrote:
Are your scripts ready to translate ? If you want i can begin to translate some ? My french is better than my english !
Sainless wrote:
If we get time or help in the future to edit some or all special scripts the same way it will be nice.
Thanks, but I think most of the scripts are not made with option to use different languages (without gettext). Most of the special DebianDog scripts are in /opt/bin but the only way to translate them is to replace the english with french inside the scripts.
If you still like to translate some scripts this way and confirm they work on your system I will upload them on the site for anyone who needs them in the future. But this is not the correct way for translation. I think the only script with gettext in /opt/bin is mount-wizard (modded from Sfs) with option to create .mo translated files and it is the correct example for writing scripts.
If we get time or help in the future to edit some or all special scripts the same way it will be nice.
Tony: if is not too late, and you still would like help.
If you post the scripts, I may be able to translate into Spanish.
Regards, Andres

mcewanw

#290 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote: Two bugs I found:
- When canceling the bootloader install, the bootflag is set to the partition selected, which should not, IMO.(Windows would not start for me because I selected sda3, so sda1 (with Windows) wasn't marked as active partition anymore)
I think, when canceling the bootloader install it should just copy the files, nothing more.

- When a device is mounted more than once (might happen specially when using porteus-boot) you might get strange effect, see screenshot attached.

What do you think? Anyway I made new debdog-install with fixes for these issues, search for '20151011 fredx181 change' in the script for what I changed.

Fred
Hi Fred,

Yes I've noticed the unusually long 'silence' in the DebianDog/Mintpup threads. Like Toni, I read the threads regularly, but spring is here in NZ and I find myself hard-pushed to keep the growing 'jungle' in control. Then I became gardening ambitious and have tons now to do to complete my plans so my computing project plan (which I still have) has been put into storage for now...

I haven't looked at your debdog install changes, but I am sure your comments above regarding incorrectly setting active partition and so on are correct, so am happy to use your modded version.

So now you have a dual-core machine, which is presumably 64bit processor(?). Maybe one day a 64bit MintPup will be created? :-) I'm sure Toni's old machine will break down eventually... sadly. I tend to use MintPup most nowadays because some of the software we use has been provided in Ubuntu versions specifically so makes life easier. I tend to use JWM version of MintPup but with the look and feel a bit of a copy of your earlier Openbox DebianDog efforts. My only reason for looking for a 64bit MintPup one day is that my wife currently uses 64bit Linux Mint in order to have working 'Viber' (skype like app) working (no 32bit version available for that).

I do wish there were more hours in the day - so much I'd like to do (computing-wise included).

William
github mcewanw

saintless

Re: Script translation

#291 Post by saintless »

atv wrote:Tony: if is not too late, and you still would like help.
If you post the scripts, I may be able to translate into Spanish.
Regards, Andres
Thanks Andres, it is not too late but too early I'm afraid. Changing the language inside the script is not good idea.
If we start translating inside the scripts we will end up with several versions of the same script in different language and the only way to use it will be replacing the script manually inside the system.
The special DD (gtkdialog and yad) scripts need mods to use gettext in all buttons and messages instead direct title names in english. Also the .desktop menu files need adding names and categories in different language. Then the translation will be in separate .mo files in /usr/share/locale subdirectory and the deb package will install all available translations.
I haven't tried to work on such mods yet and I'm not sure I will. This will take much time for testing after the changes in each script. But without such mods we can't translate properly the special DD scripts.

Otherwise all programs installed from debian repository have translations included in several languages.

Toni

fredx181

#292 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni, William,

Here's deb package debdoginstallscripts v1.0.6 with the fixes I earlier mentioned for debdog-install:

https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ ... 6_i386.deb

Fred

saintless

#293 Post by saintless »

Thanks Fred!

Repository and fixes post for DD-Jessie, Wheezy, Squeeze and MintPup updated with fixed package and information:
Fixes for frugal installer from Fred described here.
Upgrade the installer package with:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install debdoginstallscripts
Toni

fredx181

#294 Post by fredx181 »

hi Toni.
Repository and fixes post for DD-Jessie, Wheezy, Squeeze and MintPup updated with fixed package and information:
Thanks! I see you edited 'mintpup-install' the same way, nice!

Sorry to say, but I found another bug, it has to do again with multiple mountpoints for one device.
Probably the problem occurs only in a rare case, but I think the installer needs to work well in all cases.
I'll try to fix and test, get back later about it.

Fred

fredx181

#295 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni, William,

Some more fixes for debdog-install and mintpup-install
Note, the problems I found are NOT because of the modifications William has made some time ago.

Two issues found:
1) In case there's not enough space on the device to copy the files, there's no message noticing that, it will display 'Installation completed' but in fact the copying is incomplete.
Fixed by adding 'wait $CPPID' and small change to progress bar code.

2) Probably in some exceptional case:
-- Disable journal checkbox is checked
-- Boot partition is the same as save partition
-- Trying to install with 'from directory' option from inside this partition, to this same partition.
To clarify:
I have directory 'debdog' on /mnt/sda3 with live folder inside
Ok, I choose 'live' folder with 'from directory' option, disable journal checkbox is checked and install partition is sda3
Result: 'live' folder cannot be found because /mnt/sda3 is unmounted (has been done later in the script by unmounting /dev/sda3, just before 'disable journal', unmounting is needed for that)
Fixed by adding separate function 'disable_journal' and execute it at the end of script
Also fixed by setting mountpoint for selected partition unconditionally on /mnt/sd?*, even when it's already mounted (more safe, avoids finding by accident mountpoint of changes directory e.g. changes-exit or persistence)

See '20151017 fredx181 change' for what I edited.

I tested a lot already, but as these are not small changes, better test more on other machine, so if you have time... :)

For Debiandog:
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ ... 7_i386.deb
For Mintpup:

Fred

saintless

#296 Post by saintless »

Thanks Fred.

I will wait one-two weeks before updating the repositories and do some testing.
I still get widget_entry_refresh messages reported here and noticed also the checkbox command not found messages. I get them with all debdog-install versions when unchecking the boxes and running gparted button. All seem harmless but I thought it is better to report them here if you can see any problem:

widget_entry_refresh(): <label> not implemented for this widget.
/opt/bin/debdog-install: line 899: Checkbox: command not found
/opt/bin/debdog-install: line 900: Checkbox: command not found
/opt/bin/debdog-install: line 901: Checkbox: command not found
/opt/bin/debdog-install: line 902: Checkbox: command not found
Toni

fredx181

#297 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
/opt/bin/debdog-install: line 899: Checkbox: command not found
/opt/bin/debdog-install: line 900: Checkbox: command not found
/opt/bin/debdog-install: line 901: Checkbox: command not found
/opt/bin/debdog-install: line 902: Checkbox: command not found
I also think these are harmless warnings, but anyway I managed to fix them.
The info from here was very helpful for the widget_entry_refresh warning.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 3f647ded52
3d post from thunor
To fix the 'Checkbox: command not found' warning I just removed the lines containing "echo Checkbox ...." .

Re-uploaded both debs,

https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ ... 7_i386.deb

Fred

saintless

#298 Post by saintless »

All DD repoes updated with latest install scripts from Fred.
For DD-Squeeze, Wheezy and Jessie:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install debdoginstallscripts
Toni

fredx181

#299 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,

I made an attempt again to make xdm work properly in openbox version, but couldn't fix the problems.
As you wrote here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 279#856279
No protocol specified etc.. when using sudo as normal user.
Btw, when using 'sudo -E' it's working fine.

But I made special DD package for slim, everything works OK for me, also save on exit from console works, needed to add -novtswitch to xserver_arguments in /etc/slim.conf, so becomes:

xserver_arguments   -nolisten tcp -novtswitch
Also edited DEBIAN/postinst and DEBIAN/prerm to make it disable autologin from /etc/inittab
And added script in /opt/bin 'start-stop-slim' which is setup similar to how you did with xdm (enable/disable)
Menu entry for it under System 'Start/Stop Slim display-manager'
Slim will be enabled as default (autologin from /etc/inittab disabled) after installing the deb.
Only for Jessie so far, tested on openbox and jwm, I will make for Wheezy if you agree with this package setup.
Maybe you have other ideas for it, please tell me then.

https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ ... e_i386.deb

Fred

saintless

#300 Post by saintless »

Hi Fred.

If you like to make xdm work well in OpenBox I will try to help you. BTW exit from console with save on Exit works fine in MintPup with xdm activated. I'm sure it is some configuration change we need to make in DD to fix this but for me it is minor issue anyway.

Having well working login manager is important and if your choice for OpenBox is slim I don't mind. I will do some testing when I can but I had bad experience with slim and I don't like it. My choice is xdm and it works well for me. It is included in all Jwm versions and I will not change this in the future. But if the user wants to change xdm with slim or another alternative I do not mind and it is good to have fixed slim package available. Slim and anything you like will be uploaded in DD repoes. Just say when.

BTW take a look at github when you have time. I made some changes the last few days in Jessie and Wheezy pages. Now it is pretty much independent backup (check out the download links and snapshot repository modules). The best thing is you and William can easy update, delete, reupload any files and information posted by me and everything is in one place. I will keep DD-Squeeze version separate in MintPup account (unless you or William like to be able to update DD-Squeeze in the future).

Toni