identity theft and IRS

For discussions about security.
labbe5

identity theft and IRS

#1 Post by labbe5 »

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/irs-refunde ... port-says/

If you don't receive a tax refund, blame identity theft, not IRS. Link above explains.
[i]When you give food to a poor, they call you a saint; when you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.
[/i]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Out of the millions of tax refunds the IRS sends, how many are thought to be stolen? And do the thieves target rich people who might be expected to get large refunds, like Donald Trump for instance, or do they steal from poor people on the theory that they're less likely to get caught and the government won't go after them as diligently as it would if they stole from a rich guy?

Ted Dog

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

really how can they even expect us to pay such a monster of stupidity. Don't they have all the details already banks accts paychecks home addresss? yet they can pass the blame on to fraud artist. why can't they just freeze the money stolen from the accts. posted. Also since they sent the wrong people the wrong money that has nothing to do with the rigbt people having to wait.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

The IRS, which takes pride in issuing quick refunds, often sends them out before employers are required to file forms documenting wages, the report said.
Seems to be a simple solution to this one :roll:
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Well I imagine the rate of false returns is low, and I expect the IRS wants to get the refunds back to the people who, after all actually earned the money, as soon as possible. Requiring absolute proof in every case would slow things down considerably, not to mention the extra expense for the IRS, which congress refuses to allow.