A SAVE-session to directory option added for PUPs [REOPENED]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
shinobar

fido

#341 Post by shinobar »

mavrothal wrote:@shinobar
Noticed that your shutdownconfig has "fido" inactivated. However I could not see any problem when reinstated. Is it because is not present in pupsaveconfig or somehow is incompatible with svefolder? (how?)
The current shutdownconfig in the woof offers 'fido', but says
'fido CURRENTLY EXPERIMENTAL STATUS, PLEASE CHOOSE Administrator'.
If you want to try 'fido', you can do it after, using the loginmanager.

In my opinion, the current 'fido' implementation has a problem in the fundamental design. 'fido' shold have /home/fido for its home.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

shinobar

save_to_directory PET

#342 Post by shinobar »

mavrothal wrote:So if a pet is provided will be much easier to test and much closer to woof (so hopefully next Tahr puppy will include it :wink: ).
I have converted gyro's most recent ydrv_slacko_5.7.sfs,
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 663#781663
into a PET, save_to_directory-20140606.pet
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?pu ... psave_dir/
It's comfortable with the Tahr Puppy 5.8.0.8.

USAGE:
1. Boot the Tahr Puppy 5.8.0.8 with RAM mode.
2. Install the save_to_directory-20140606.pet.
3. Shutdown/rebot and choose the pupsave options.

mavrothal

#343 Post by mavrothal »

Tried to add savefolder support in woof-CE but somehow it breaks gtk and all icons are gone form the desktop (no . gtk-update-icon-cache will not fix this).
Anyone has any idea why :?
(Attached the broken shutdowncofig for your convenience)
Attachments
shutdownconfig.gz
Broken shutdownconfig
(13.18 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

shinobar

shutdowncofig

#344 Post by shinobar »

mavrothal wrote:Tried to add savefolder support in woof-CE but somehow it breaks gtk and all icons are gone form the desktop (no . gtk-update-icon-cache will not fix this).
Anyone has any idea why :?
(Attached the broken shutdowncofig for your convenience)
i have something want to say, but the shutdowncofig mavrothal showed fundamentally worked on the Tahr Puppy. I replaced /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown with the one form gyro's 2014-06-06 ydrv, /usr/sbin/shutdownconfig with the one mavrothal showed(needed executable flag).

mavrothal

Re: shutdowncofig

#345 Post by mavrothal »

shinobar wrote: I replaced /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown with the one form gyro's 2014-06-06 ydrv,
That's what was missing :oops:
Thanks
Latter: Fixed! So next puppy build from woof-CE testing will have savetofolder support
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

gcmartin

#346 Post by gcmartin »

This just caught my attention as this seemingly allows 2 things that would be useful for any PUP user.

Using this utility ===> Here from @Gyro appears to open the way for 3 possible events:
  • resolving the "filled" save file by moving from a file to a folder within the same frugal folder location (insuring of course, that the user does NOT end with both a frugal save folder and a frugal save file).
  • to use this to take a frugal folder into a new base frugal folder thru this ability by exposing the contents into a folder along with exposing initrd and repacking initrd.
  • to convert a frugal install PUP to become a full installation with little effort.
Further, there appears to be some relationship between the @Gyro offering and this 'toggle' offering, "Mkdist", from @Shinobar

This is slightly off-topic of this thread; but is made available thru the work of the contributions from members in this thread.

01micko

#347 Post by 01micko »

Woof-CE master branch now has save to directory feature integrated. My initial tests have been positive.

You can get the woof-CE-0.3 release tarball from Here.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

peebee

Query re new savefolders

#348 Post by peebee »

ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

darkcity

#349 Post by darkcity »

I've been updating the Savefile page on the wikka wiki to include information about the savefolder options.

Is there anywhere that gives a general description of how it works?

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SaveFile

8)

gcmartin

Description of the changes in PuppyLinux shutdown processing

#350 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @DarkCity

You are right in looking for a single page which would describe the primary options available to Live users, and Frugal users, alike, when system shutdown would occur.

Your webpage may want to clarify by "Save-Session Options built into Puppy Linux". where the 'Introduction' explains that "... when running a Live boot or running a Frugal boot, the ability to save ones work during the session can be stored in either a Linux folder or buried in a Linux file."

Hope this is helpful.

darkcity

#351 Post by darkcity »

thanks for the reply. it isn't my webpage as such.

8)
I will expand the introduction as recommended. Is there a link to somewhere describing the 'save to folder' option?

darkcity

#352 Post by darkcity »

Saving work we often done outside of the savefile/folder.

Here is the rewrite-

SaveFiles/ SaveFolder (also known as PupSave file/folder) are required for a Frugal Installation to save modifications to the operating system. The changes are either written written to RAM memory first then to file or folder, or written directly to file or folder. This method of running is sometimes referenced to as 'Live' in other distributions, where the option to make changes may or may not exist.

The changes are anything modifying, adding-to or removing-from the linux file structure (RootFS). This typically includes settings, installing new applications etc. It also includes anything saved in the ~ user directory (usually root).

mavrothal

#353 Post by mavrothal »

The thread is closed but peebee found a bug and there is a fix to be tested before it makes it to woof-CE :wink:

gcmartin

Can NTFS support save-session folder(s)?

#354 Post by gcmartin »

Over the past months I have seen several indicators from members about Linux links working on NTFS partitions/filesystem.

Question
Is this an agreed on finding? If so, does this expand this thread's contribution?

Ted Dog

#355 Post by Ted Dog »

there is issues using NTFS as savefolder since not all linux file flags are supported, however it doesn't seem to burst into flames Like I expected when I accidentally setup such an savefolder. A full install type ( copied all files from squashfs and made a dummy version to get better speed ) works great in linux filesystem save folders but lots of wierdness if done with NTFS. :wink:

Ted Dog

#356 Post by Ted Dog »

also like the yellow yield sign with a question mark if you boot back into windows for your links. :roll:

gcmartin

#357 Post by gcmartin »

Does that mean that when in Windows, that OS changes Linux links or cannot use them in Windows?

Are problems all Linux links, or, either the symbolic or the absolute ones?

And, is it limited to older NTFS releases in Linux or all NTFS releases to date?

The concern being raised is for the creation and use in Linux ONLY; the save-session folder needs specifically.

One reference I found outside of Puppyland is here

gyro

save-folder on NTFS

#358 Post by gyro »

I won't go there.
My motto is, leave NTFS partitions to Windows.

1) NTFS is propriety to Microsoft, they can change it, or how they use it, at any time. e.g. Windows 8 fastshudown/fastboot.

2) Since at least Windows 7 and still in Windows 10, there is a "Shrink Volume..." action in "Disk Manager" that can safely make available some unallocated disk space which can be used for a Linux filesystem.

gyro

Ted Dog

#359 Post by Ted Dog »

with gyros advice ( and name gives me an idea for lunch ) do the resize early in the use of a new windows 8 or 10 machine BEFORE the bloat. It figures if its in a small space its on a SSD type hardware and removes a bunch of disk writing logs and keeps it self small as needed. I agressively sized my windows8.1 into less than 20G and it still runs as fine as windows can run ( I do not use it for much )
of course I already protected my windows HD with hybernate off and such.
For me I don't have a choice I have a mediabox that only uses NTFS and old MBR configurations so modified to work that way. :oops:

gcmartin

#360 Post by gcmartin »

Is the LInux NTFS support coming from Microsoft? And, should we expect MS to shutdown the Linux link command as it is designed in Linux OR are you suggesting that some cleanup operation in MS, when running Windows could look for and destroy a Linux symbolic link?

At this point in the advancement of Windows (and Linux) and considering MS's position as a LInux user and contributor, I would not expect that particular-specific future change to occur. "Bad for business when MS has been showing a partnership with Linux/Unix."

I do understand what you share,@Gyro; but I don't feel that in today's world we shouldn't expect that occurrence/behavior from MS.

Their next filesystem change will probably be a new one, anyhow, depending on the direction of both mobile and datacenters are taking. That foundation is already afoot.

If we understand what today's NTFS provides in allowing Linux command links (and data) to exist in an NTFS environment, and that to survive over reboots, is there any reason that a session folder could also be expected to survive over reboots, same as occurs on on Linux partitions?

I cannot find any evidence that Linux links do not work. But, I may not be looking in the proper places that have current information.

Anyone know anything about the ability for save-session to survive with information unaltered and intact across reboots on a LInux system?

I am willing to test a save session change to determine if we can break the links that Linux would have it is filesystem across reboots....if a PET is available for testing.

Thoughts or information that anyone has/knows would be helpful.

P.S. Can the save session code that would allow saving to a NTFS partition be coded in such a way to make it easy to ID and remove if this idea is moved forward. Seems that it is already design to allow NTFS to be added as a detectable candidate same as the current Linux partitions. (take this comment with the understanding that I am NOT a bash anything, as I recognized how wrong I may be in visualizing the utility's design.) But, my original question is about a concept of whether the utility can be safely expanded, if what has been presented is correct!

Is it correct?