Process for subsequent starts on a mult-session cd

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk

Process for subsequent starts on a mult-session cd

#1 Post by Guest »

Hi,

Please pardon me if I've missed seeing the answer here somewhere else. There is just so much information, it's overload.

Anyway, I've burned a multi-session CD (of chubby puppy). I started it up and it worked like a charm (set up my network, app's worked, I created a test document and saved it to my documents directory, etc.). Then I shut down. According to what I saw flash by on the monitor, it looked as if my changes were being saved. So far everything is GREAT! I love it!

Now my situation is that I need to run chubby puppy TOTALLY off of a CD. I do NOT want a pup001 file saved anywhere other than on the CD. Even when a suitable directory structure is available, I can't have anything saved anywhere but the CD.

Now I want to start again. Do I choose boot option 5 or what? What do I do with the prompts about previous pup001 files? Do I have to need to go through all the keyboard, mouse, and such setups again?

Please advise or direct me to the instructions.

Thanks,
Andrew

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

If you have burned a cd as multi-session, you choose boot option 5 the FIRST TIME you boot it. On subsequent boots, just accept the default, or press ENTER if you don't want to wait for the 10 second timeout.

This will not use the hard drive at all.

#3 Post by Guest »

Thank you.

Is there a way to avoid needing to set up the keyboard and such again? Isn't that saved with the pup001 file? But what do I answer with the prompts about restoring the pup001 file. Do I just press enter here too?

Thanks again,
Andrew

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

Once the CD is set up the settings you have requested will now be booted into when you start the mult-session disk

Multi session is still experimental - so be aware of that . . . 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

#5 Post by Guest »

Thanks. It worked perfectly, without any confusing prompts. (I think the reason I started getting the prompts again with the second startup, is because I chose boot option 5 again. I shouldn't have done that.) I've booted 5 or 6 times now and it works great!

I need to configure printers and start some experimenting, like switching the disk to a different PC and reading NTFS partitions, but so far...

THIS IS EXCITING STUFF. I'm speculating this is going to be a very handy tool.

The WOW / COOL FACTOR of the multi-session disk is off my chart!

Andrew

#6 Post by Guest »

could someone explain what happens when you press 5 and enter at boot with a multisession disk. After doing that on my pc I hang at "hd" during boot saying lost interupt. This continues till I press ctrl alt dlt, then boots again and hangs. thanx

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

I dunno, my computer boots apparently normally when I boot ms Puppy with option 5, but it evidently doesn't save the session when I shut down. Maybe that's why I haven't been able to get ms Puppy to work. :lol: