Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 14 Dec 2018, 21:48
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Quirky Linux 7.2 released, now 7.2.3
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 6 of 13 [195 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 11, 12, 13 Next
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 15 Oct 2015, 19:39    Post subject: Re: Re HP printer  

stoneguy wrote:
I'm working with the 32-bit version, so I don't expect what was provided would be relevant. I installed the devx package on my system, and am completely at home compiling things in the Debian world, so I'd be able to take a whack at compiling those 2 pieces for myself. Just don't know what the drill is to produce something that PPM can deal with. Someone pointing me a good HOWTO would be appreciated.

If you need to know about creating PET packages, see here:

http://puppylinux.com/development/createpet.htm

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 15 Oct 2015, 19:57    Post subject:  

no2tm wrote:
Required, support for the m4b file format:
Code:
ln -fnsv /usr/local/bin/defaultaudioplayer /root/Choices/MIME-types/audio_x-m4b

I downloaded two examples from here, a .m4b and a .m4a

Tried them with 'xine' and 'aplay', they just play garbage sound (I don't mean horrible music! the first gave only a single thump-sound then silnce, the .m4a just gave whistles and other random noises).

gcmartin

PostPosted: Thu 15 Oct 2015, 20:00    Post subject: System LAN/WAN behavior differs from April64 vs April32  

Update on the LAN/WAN issues seen in April64-72: I DO NOT HAVE THE PROBLEMS in April32-721.

The report attached shows PupInfo logs about system.

What would contribute to the LAN/WAN in April64, yet not be present in April32? Hope something can be spot to resolve the problem before the next April64 upgrade.

Any additional information needed from me about the system and its behavior, feel free to ask or contact me.

DanielSong39

PostPosted: Thu 15 Oct 2015, 23:08    Post subject:  

I upgraded to Quirky 7.2 yesterday. I have the 32-bit version.

I can no longer boot. Xwin does not work. When I typed in Xorgwizard, I got the following message: "Sorry, cannot find where Xorg is installed, quiting."

I also tried pressing F2 at prompt. I tried several options. System check yielded nothing, I could not roll back, and I got another error message concerning my display.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions; otherwise, I'll have to try a clean install.
DanielSong39

PostPosted: Thu 15 Oct 2015, 23:20    Post subject:  

I also got the following error when I pressed F2:

Desktop fail: Black-screen/hangs, press reset or hold power-button down 4 secs: next bootup will force run of VideoWizard: choose alternate driver/settings.

I did that, but the video wizard did not run.
DanielSong39

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct 2015, 01:15    Post subject:  

I decided to do a clean install after all.

It seems like there are some problems with the upgrade program. I had different problems with the upgrade on the 64-bit version.

I would recommend others to do a clean install, if possible.
Jerror

PostPosted: Sun 18 Oct 2015, 21:31    Post subject:  

I had the same problem as DanielSong. I had missed the note about ibiblio and updated devx immediately after upgrading, and many crucial directories vanished including /etc/X11 (hence the missing xorg config!) I assumed the problem was indeed the devx upgrade sans-ibiblio patch but I wasn't sure so I decided to reinstall from scratch instead of backup, which went fine. DanielSong, did you upgrade devx after system core without the ibiblio patch?
mai77

PostPosted: Sun 18 Oct 2015, 23:33    Post subject:  Torrents F2-fs "flash-friendly file system" like the old ve
Subject description: F2-fs "flash-friendly file system" capability

p310don wrote:
I have made torrents of the xz and iso versions of April.

does Arrow

april64-7.2-8gb.img.xz.zip

run from a F2-fs "flash-friendly file system" like the old versions Question
ETP

PostPosted: Mon 19 Oct 2015, 07:06    Post subject: F2-fs "flash-friendly file system" capability  

Hi mai77,

The 8gb image creates the 2nd partition as EXT4.
It can subsequently be changed but the method of so doing will depend
on whether you placed the image on an 8gb or 16gb stick.
If you wish to change to f2fs please state the size you targeted & I will
then descibe the method to be used.

Kennels
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Mon 19 Oct 2015, 19:49    Post subject: Re: F2-fs "flash-friendly file system" capability  

ETP wrote:
Hi mai77,

The 8gb image creates the 2nd partition as EXT4.
It can subsequently be changed but the method of so doing will depend
on whether you placed the image on an 8gb or 16gb stick.
If you wish to change to f2fs please state the size you targeted & I will
then descibe the method to be used.

Yeah, I chose ext4 so that people could resize the partition to fill the drive. Which f2fs cannot do.

ETP

PostPosted: Tue 20 Oct 2015, 03:18    Post subject: RE: F2-fs "flash-friendly file system" capability  

Hi Barry,

I suspected that was why you chose ext4 but there will be people who target an 8gb stick and wish to
change the 2nd partition from ext4 to f2fs. In addition some may wish to fill a larger stick with the
2nd f2fs partition.

GParted still lacks the ability to shrink or grow an f2fs partition but can still be used to do either
of the above.

Convert 2nd partition on 8gb stick to f2fs.

1. Boot from another f2fs aware Pup then plug in the 8gb stick.

2. Using Rox file manager move all files from the 2nd partition (including any hidden files) off to another ext4
partition with enough free space to hold them. That temporary store can be on a HDD, card or USB.

3. Use GParted to change the format of the 2nd partition to f2fs.

4. Move your files back from the temporary store to the f2fs partition.

Expanding an existing f2fs partition is a similar process but with a couple of extra steps.
Having moved all the files off the f2fs partition to a temporary Linux store, use GParted to
change the existing f2fs partition to ext2. Then still using GParted, expand the ext2 partition as needed.
Having done that change the expanded partition back to f2fs before finally moving the files in the temporary
store back to the expanded f2fs partition.

Notes:
The PARTUUID does not change.
A UUID relates to a file system and changes if you alter that but is not generally used in Puppy.

Kennels
rufwoof

PostPosted: Tue 20 Oct 2015, 05:21    Post subject:  

I use a frugal puppy with no save file. Cast in stone puppy, data stored on HDD, portable firefox, so once configured as I like I have no need for any puppy changes to be made. I simply remaster whenever needed and have a adapted remaster script for that purpose (single click). I like the security of being able to eliminate a virus or corrupted system simply by rebooting. Exact same pup each and every reboot is fine with me, especially as I have found a range of apps (Libre, Openshot, Blender, Audacity, InkScape ...etc) that all work well individually and together (otherwise in some cases I've found that different versions ('upgrades') can result in operational bugs [I guess library conflicts]).

I rarely remaster now, but around a year ago when I was remastering relatively frequently I ran into problems where sometimes on reboot the PC would hang at the initrd/vmlinuz loading stage for a lot longer than at other times. One version that took longer to boot would repeatedly do so, another that was quicker to boot repeatedly was quicker. I hunted around for a while and finally discovered that by switching from ext4 to ext3 the delayed boot problem went away (all remastered versions boot quickly).

Might be down to my running a Slacko 5.3.3 thin based pup or some other personal/local quirk (I've made many changes). I have upgraded the Kernel to a 3.10.32 version which may have fixed that problem (don't know for sure as I've remained with ext3 since).

Just thought I'd mention that ext4 may have a issue.
Blackfish

PostPosted: Wed 21 Oct 2015, 20:55    Post subject:  Internet Connectivity Problem
Subject description: Dell Latitude E5500 Intel Core 2 Duo Wireless Disabled

I'm running Quirky April64 7.2 on hard disk and USB. Suddenly wireless card stops working. Can't connect. I try booting from two other USB Quirkies. Wireless card does not work no matter what I boot from. Wifi light is off. Switch is on. When using Simple Network Setup and scanning for networks, just before the networks are displayed, wireless light glows once and goes out. The light comes on for a moment when computer is first booted, too. I thought it was the card itself malfunctioning and replaced card. New card behaves precisely the same way as old one. Looks like not a hardware problem. Maybe a Quirky problem? I haven't changed any settings on my computer. Did something get changed with the latest upgrade? It shouldn't have. Everything worked fine for a long while after the upgrade. Something is very wrong all of a sudden. Maybe Dell is done. Garbage. Time to toss it in the rubbish bin.

Last edited by Blackfish on Thu 22 Oct 2015, 10:33; edited 1 time in total
DanielSong39

PostPosted: Wed 21 Oct 2015, 22:20    Post subject:  

Yes, the devx upgrade may have something to do with my xorg problem. However it was acting up even before then.

Once I did the clean install everything went well.
Blackfish

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct 2015, 10:56    Post subject: Re: Internet Connectivity Problem
Subject description: Dell Latitude E5500 Intel Core 2 Duo Wireless Disabled

Blackfish wrote:
I'm running Quirky April64 7.2 on hard disk and USB. Suddenly wireless card stops working. Can't connect. I try booting from two other USB Quirkies. Still no go. Wifi light is off. Switch is on. When using Simple Network Setup and scanning for networks, just before the networks are displayed, wireless light glows once and goes out. The light comes on for a moment when computer is first booted, too. I thought it was the card itself malfunctioning and replaced card. New card behaves precisely the same way as old one. Looks like not a hardware problem. Maybe a Quirky problem? I haven't changed any settings on my computer. Did something get changed with the latest upgrade? It shouldn't have. Everything worked fine for a long while after the upgrade. Something is very wrong all of a sudden. Maybe Dell is done. Garbage. Time to toss it in the rubbish bin. Shocked Confused

I was wrong. The whole thing is Quirky's fault. I got some Puppy CD and booted from them and the Internet works fine with all of them, no problem; Tahr, Precise, etc.--all good! Only Quirky is not working of a sudden. I still have no idea what is wrong, but some settings or something got changed somewhere, somehow and refuses to let me connect. What could it be? Anyone else have this problem after upgrading a Quirky?

Page 6 of 13 [195 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 11, 12, 13 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: