Slacko 6.3.0 (32 bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
01micko

Slacko 6.3.0 (32 bit)

#1 Post by 01micko »

Slacko 6.3.0 is out!

See the new slacko website for downloads and links to the release notes and official announcement. I have emailed Barry to contact Ladislav at Distrowatch.

Bug report thread.

Enjoy!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Legacy info

A delta is up at the below link

Fixes
- enchant (abiword spell check)
- didwiki
- notecase
- help page [ :lol: boots ]
- vobcopy
- encrypted save files
- latest woof fixes to ptheme and various other things

Sorry about deltas, but I need to preserve bandwith for the big upload of 2 distros - soon :wink:

Get it from here

iso 207 MB
devx 141 MB
checksums at that location

Changes

- Heaps of woof-CE changes and enhancements
- updated firefox
- added libnss (and friends - easier for other browsers)
- updated abiword-3.0.1
- updated pmusic-4.7.1
- added npapi-sdk (devx)
- added mkwallpaper (checkout what it can do and some of the new randomly generated wallpapers!)
- improvements in jwm_config/ptheme thanks to zigbert

Kernel is the same. I won't be upgrading before release.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kernel sources are uploaded to the repo in pet_packages-slacko14.1. The sfsget program is good enough to find them. Only needed if you want to compile 3rd part drivers such as nvidia, ATI, Broadcom, ndiswrapper (which is included in the stock kernel) and others.

Kernel is 3.14.55 LTS NO PAE. A PAE kernel is provided, version 4.1.11 LTS located here. You can use the change_kernels script included on the iso if you have a frugal install to USB or HDD. Sorry, boot off CD/DVD and FULL installs are unsupported at this stage.
There is another alternative kernel, version 3.18.22 LTS. Just look for 'slacko' without the 64. You can also use the old 3.4.94 kernel too.

This is a follow up to the now dated 5.9.3 development.

I am aiming for slacko-6.1 by mid November at the latest.

This version is built from woof-CE testing branch commit 4c1f96e and is fully reproducible. See this thread for more on building slacko.

More to come.
Last edited by 01micko on Mon 16 Nov 2015, 21:09, edited 9 times in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Billtoo

Slacko 6.0.8.1

#2 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to a usb-3.0 hard drive, pc is an HP desktop.

Video-Info 1.5.1 - Tue 27 Oct 2015 on Slacko Puppy 6.0.8.1 - Linux 3.14.55 i686

Chip description:
oem: Intel(R) Sandybridge/Ivybridge Graphics Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS
vendor: Intel Corporation
product: Intel(R) Sandybridge/Ivybridge Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver used: intel

X.Org version: 1.14.3
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (507x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

My built-in wireless is supported, I forget the brand and lspci gives
little info.
Right or middle click on the desktop doesn't bring up the menu.

It's time for sleep, will test more later, thanks.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(78.25 KiB) Downloaded 99342 times

Colonel Panic

#3 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks, just downloading it now. As it happens I'm posting from Slacko 5.5.0.2, which may be obsolete but is still a good all-round workhorse IMO.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

01micko

#4 Post by 01micko »

Colonel Panic

#5 Post by Colonel Panic »

I'm using it now. It has a quirk though which I haven't seen before and feel I should mention; when I tried to set up the Internet I got the message, “Unable to connect to the network
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

mavrothal

#6 Post by mavrothal »

Checking Slacko 6.0.8.1 and Slacko64 6.0.8.1 ( :shock: ) focusing on JWM for the moment.
The /root/.jwm/root-menus/menu{1,2,3} symlinks disappear during build so JWM configuration will complain and nor work properly.
Till the next version, type in terminal:

Code: Select all

ln -sf /usr/local/jwm_config/menu_build_mouseaction /root/.jwm/root_menus/menu1
ln -sf /usr/local/jwm_config/menu_build_bookmarks /root/.jwm/root_menus/menu2
ln -sf /usr/local/jwm_config/menu_build_main /root/.jwm/root_menus/menu3
to fix this.

JWM theme switcher is looking for themes in /usr/share/jwm/themes so themes in /root/.jwm/themes need to move there to function. Only the <theme>-colors and <theme>-jwmrc are needed (so the applet does not provide any preview of the tray and the buttons - but that's OK I guess).
There included themes are mostly OK for bar colour but the flat-green crashes the switch applet.
So themes should be repackaged or a PPM post install hack is needed to utilize old themes. I thing verification and repackaging is more reasonable.

(Top) Tray configuration will not function on first boot :? Apply does not do anything either (and that's after the symlinks are fixed).
After reboot works OK.

When you open the top tray configuration (tray 2) a tasklist is added into the tray although at the time the tray does not have it After you remove it close and reopen, the task list is reintroduced!
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

01micko

#7 Post by 01micko »

I'm not a fan of absolute links. Relative links are much better and do work more reliably in woof.

Since ziggy isn't using git CLI it's probably impossible for him to do this.

I'm probably quiet for a few days to come but I'll keep it in mind. Maybe raise an issue and assign me.

mavrothal

#8 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote:I'm not a fan of absolute links. Relative links are much better and do work more reliably in woof.

Since ziggy isn't using git CLI it's probably impossible for him to do this.
Yes, that what I have in my local git but I did not commit since I did not test. Should I?

In the mean time till proper testing and repackaging, here is a PPM hack that can fix some of the the jwm themes to work with the new jwm-config

--- a/usr/local/petget/hacks-postinstall.sh
+++ b/usr/local/petget/hacks-postinstall.sh
@@ -70,6 +70,20 @@
    JWMTHEMEFILE="$(grep '^/root/\.jwm/themes/.*-jwmrc$' /root/.packages/${INSTALLEDNAME}.files | head -n 1)"
    [ "$JWMTHEMEFILE" ] && hackfontsize "JWMTHEMES='${JWMTHEMEFILE}'"
   fi
+  for line in $(grep '\-colors' /root/.packages/${INSTALLEDPKG}.files)
+  do
+	mv $line /usr/share/jwm/themes/$(basename $line)
+	sed -i '/\-colors/d' /root/.packages/${INSTALLEDPKG}.files
+	echo /usr/share/jwm/themes/$(basename $line) >> /root/.packages/${INSTALLEDPKG}.files
+  done
+  for line in $(grep '\-jwmrc' /root/.packages/${INSTALLEDPKG}.files)
+  do
+	mv $line /usr/share/jwm/themes/$(basename $line)
+	sed -i '/\-jwmrc/d' /root/.packages/${INSTALLEDPKG}.files
+	echo /usr/share/jwm/themes/$(basename $line) >> /root/.packages/${INSTALLEDPKG}.files
+	NEEDSEDIT=$(sed -n '/xml/=' /usr/share/jwm/themes/$(basename $line))
+	[ "$NEEDEDIT" != "1" ] && sed -i '1s/^/<?xml version="1.0"?>\n/' /usr/share/jwm/themes/$(basename $line)
+  done
  ;;
  openbox*)
   #120924 DejaVu font no good for non-Latin languages...
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

p310don

Torrent

#9 Post by p310don »

Here is a torrent of Slacko 6.0.8.1

Please unzip and share / seed
Attachments
slacko-6.0.8.1.iso.zip
(32.74 KiB) Downloaded 1625 times

unicorn316386

#10 Post by unicorn316386 »

Looks good! Feels smooth and liking the colors/theme. :)

In Slacko 5.7 (k3.10.32), my speakers would always make this loud popping sound right before it got to desktop... I'm glad that this version doesn't have that quirk any more. I tried using the "save to folder" option for the first time and it's working well, and just discovered the power of the "Pup-Advert-Blocker" option in Menu -> Internet and it is also working great.

Small notice: the icon for "Open Location" is missing in Gnome-MPlayer (1.0.9b). Replacing /usr/sbin/gnome-mplayer with the one from Slacko 5.7 (1.0.8b) doesn't seem to fix it, so it seems to be relying on an external icon somewhere? (I wonder where)

edit: I uploaded the missing icons from /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16 (apparently Playlist was missing repeat icons too).
Attachments
missing_gnome_icons.tar.gz
(2.2 KiB) Downloaded 1594 times
slacko6081.png
(52.45 KiB) Downloaded 81421 times
Last edited by unicorn316386 on Tue 27 Oct 2015, 19:46, edited 8 times in total.

gcmartin

LAN-WAN in base system behaves as expected without any issue

#11 Post by gcmartin »

Booted from DVD
Report: On the AIO PC, which has been problematic to Slacko64-6074 use, this 32bit base 6081 system boots with its LAN + WAN behavior following traditional PUPs. Works!

# uname -a                                                                 
Linux Slacko6081onAIOtouch 3.14.55 #1 SMP Mon Oct 26 11:54:01 AEST 2015 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G2020 @ 2.90GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
Frugal setup
I will follow with a 2nd report as soon as I can get your a frugal setup to test the latest kernel on this PC.

Thanks for all you do!
Last edited by gcmartin on Tue 27 Oct 2015, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.

zigbert

#12 Post by zigbert »

jwm/ptheme - one step further. See attached pet
- updated gtk/jwm theme setters
- more fixing to tray-configurator
- The flat-green theme is fixed in attached pet.

Mavrothal
- I can not reproduce your problem with tray configuration at first run. Wonder what happens? Will you please verify it with the 0.3 'patch'. Any terminal output?
- Can you update to relative menu-links in Woof? Thank you!
- I have not looked at roxpin yet.
- Are you thinking of repacking jwm-themes, or maybe I should add them to jwm_config in Woof. After all there are other configuration tools out there which are using the /root/.jwm/themes/ standard. Radky released his new approach today - What a great bunch of jwm-lovers we are :D
- Please report any issue - thank you.

Simplifying tray app is a bit complex, and I wonder if this is the right time...
Since Mick choose to use the old-school Puppy theming, it might be the best solution to skip the top tray as default. It is built as a part of the global Stardust themes (pTheme), and those show very few desktop icons. Combined with the icon-crowded Puppy desktop, the apps are doubled on the desktop.

My major thought is to execute a global ptheme at building stage (woof). Like this we have full control over theming, and non-coders could design a new Puppy. Also, the system doesn't know the active themes (gtk is ok), so reverting to default theme is tricky. We could build a global theme called ie. 'Puppy old-school' that reset all themes to default, but this would be hardcoded, and far from a good solution.
Attachments
patch_jwm_config-0.3.pet
(17.43 KiB) Downloaded 1612 times

gcmartin

#13 Post by gcmartin »

Anyone know if the "change kernel" utility is built into the 6081 system & Menu? I cannot find it.
01Micko wrote:... You can use the change_kernels script included on the iso if you have a frugal install to USB or HDD. ...
Thanks in advance for any guidance

zigbert

#14 Post by zigbert »

More fixes
- remove border-code from tray settings - jwm doesn't support this anymore
- fix stardust jwm-themes (tray)
Attachments
patch_jwm_config-0.4.pet
(17.89 KiB) Downloaded 1612 times

zigbert

#15 Post by zigbert »

How cool it would be if a virtual keyboard was included...
... A traybutton beside 'show desktop' when user choose a global theme for touchscreen.
Attachments
xvkbd.gz
(31.19 KiB) Downloaded 1605 times

mavrothal

#16 Post by mavrothal »

@zigber
Fixed symlinks in woof.
I do not intend to repackage themes as they should be usable by older jwm too.
I can not add the hack in PPM either but the puppy builder can when is using the new JWM.
If we get some reliable way to test JWM version we could make the fix conditional. Unfortunately many puppies use vgit version instead of "normal" versions so is hard to know.
Anybody knows of any jwm command to run in terminal that could distinguish the versions so it could be used as condition?

Regarding theme location, I tried to use symlinks instead of moving the files so can be used by both new and old JWM without taxing the system and it did not work. :? Any idea why symlinks will not work in the dialogs?

Regarding first run I'll try again tomorrow (hopefully)

01micko

#17 Post by 01micko »

@mavrothal

Take a look at my jwm-232 packages, both 32 and 64. In there is a test for normal or vgit jwm versions. I believe radky has tackled the problem too with his new JWMdesk.

Choices :)

mavrothal

#18 Post by mavrothal »

@zigbert
Regarding first boot: is reproducible. Fire 6.0.8.1, fix the symlinks, try to change the top tray and press apply at the end. Nothing.
Restart jwm see change in tray but no change in behaviour.
However, restart X and now tray management behaves.
Turns out that the initial absence of menu{1,2,3} "sticks" till X restart and "trips" the applet. Nothing to wary about with the correct links.

Latter: Maybe not. Again booting from CD. Install 0.4 pet. Restart X. Apply in tray management does not work.
Restart jwm manually. See the change take effect. Apply still does not worg.
Restart X again. Everything is fine.
So it would appear that after the first time the tray management dialog runs and then you restart jwm, some config is changed that takes effect after X restart. :?
BTW nothing in terminal or /tmp/xerrs.log

@01micko
Nice. Thanks. But as usually in linux there are other ways. :P
Detect zigbert's jwm_config

[  -d /usr/share/jwm/themes ]
should do. No?
Actually if either zigbert's or radky's or the next big thing works with symlinks we do not really care. Symlink /root/.jwm/themes to /usr/share/jwm/themes and we are done!

Even latter: Bingo!
Moving /root/.jwm/themes to /usr/share/jwm/themes and symlinking back to /root/.jwm/ works with radky's, jwmconfig2 or 3 and even in Precise-5.7 that I tried.
So we may need to change woof a bit for building and PPM for installing and all apps should work with all theme and jwm version :D
Actually if the link is there PPM change may not be needed.

Latter Latter: Bummer. Installing or removing a jwm theme with PPM destroys the symlinks.
Any chance jwm_config to work with symlinks in /usr/share/jwm/themes or better yet get the themes from /root/.jwm/themes?
Not sure what the benefits of moving themes to /usr/share/jwm/themes is other than not messing with old themes and being more "appropriate", but will save a lot of hassle if it moves back to read from /root/.jwm/themes

Waaaay latter :P
Maybe just keep /usr/share/jwm/ for complete pThemes but allow theme switcher to also check /root/.jwm/themes (and prioritise /usr/share if in both), would be the best solution and will require only minimal changes.

mavrothal

#19 Post by mavrothal »

@zigbert
A couple more jwm_config issues (with patch .04 pet applied)
Gtk theme switcher is only accessible through the pTheme applet. Should be accessible from the main puppy desktop applet.

It is unclear what what the "clear" button does in the window buttons theme applet and more important why it restarts jwm.

Cancel in the jwm theme switcher applet restarts jwm. it should not.
OK BTW does nothing (as it should in this case).

The background icon in the icon switcher applet defaults to tilled and looks strange (check stardust blue or grey) if the wallpaper is set to (the default) "stretched". Should follow whatever is selected in the wallpaper setter or at least the default.(stretched)

(I did not have anything to add after "waaaay latter" :P )

Puppus Dogfellow

Slacko 6.0.8.1 mirrored

#20 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

mirrored:

slacko-6.0.8.1.iso
050a41741021445e501d39f35d11d8f2 slacko-6.0.8.1.iso

devx_slacko_6.0.8.1.sfs
1d7edf3c7a491ac5401b59938711ba3a devx_slacko_6.0.8.1.sfs