Puppy 2.12 live-cd booting problems ... text is messed up!

Booting, installing, newbie
zalman

#41 Post by zalman »

Okay, I found topic 13692 which appears to deal with the same problem and which Barry K has posted in, however, I was unable to find an implementable solution. Is there something I can type after "puppy" at the "boot:" line?

Sage

#42 Post by Sage »

You are right, as usual, G! But the only excuse I can think of for anyone not having multiple machines available is an unsympathetic 'other half'! People constantly force their old kit on me, often leaving it on my doorstep. The roadside skips are heaving old HW and municipal tips are awash with them. Almost all are suitable for Puppy and (point of this follow up!!) all yield masses of spares for substitution - every technician resorts to substitution first for a fast and dirty diagnosis; meters and 'scopes only follow for difficult cases.
In this case, however, laptops contain much (mostly?) proprietary HW, smc s, irreplaceable parts leading to multiple incompatibilities - it's always been so, it's deliberate and it engenders leverage. It becomes a severe intellectual exercise getting some of them working in Linux, BSD, Belenix, etc. Like the old Irish joke - wouldn't start from here & co.
The only laptop worth having is one supplied, serviced and supported entirely by the company; when you leave the company, get smart - give it back.
Snowdog excepting.........

Sit Heel Speak

#43 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

zalman wrote:That is a good idea for those of us who have multiple computers on hand. Those of us who do not, however, are stuck.

Now where should I download these older versions you mention?
Download 2.10 at

http://puptrix.org/Puppylinux/2.10/

Its devx file:

http://www.puppyos.net/test/devx_210.sfs

Gn2

#44 Post by Gn2 »

Yes. I very much agree with your opinions RE wasteful discards.

But that ignores the affects of decades of advertising -
Society in general practice is now "imprinted" that new is better, more is a necessity & to be otherwise is to be a "non-fit" societal renegade !
I think that was one of my "private enjoyments" in ability to trouble shoot & breathe new life into any machinery.

It always felt like somehow I was "tripping up" the "disposable merchandising" tactics in "approved fashion "
- while enjoying plaudits of service trade profession.
OTOH - there comes a time when (practical considerations) dictates show it is better to replace than restore.

Now somone please explain.... why does a disposable society value in ludicrous monetary prices - memorabilia without intrinsic worth ?
Elvis makes more money now than if he had not overdosed while porking out.

Stop the whirled - methinks there's nuthin wierder than "civilization" in action.
Markl Twain said it all - 'I often reflect it seems a ironic shame, Noah built the ark & yet welcomed humans aboard.'

BarryK
Puppy Master

#45 Post by BarryK »

2.13BETA2 is out. See if that fixes the "messed up text" problem!

Sage

#46 Post by Sage »

Brilliant - thanks, Barry and a Prosperous New Year to you (but vide infra!).

Well, G, nobody on this Forum can have escaped my observations on the evils of capitalism, the brainwashing from birth practiced, especially, by a certain nation, etc. Conspicuous consumption should become a criminal offence?
Respect the planet, recycle, renew as a last resort.

Sage

#47 Post by Sage »

With all this banter about laptop and Xorg issues, decided to fire up my old and heavily modified Presario 863MHz/256Mb, which normally sits unused in a dark corner, with P2.13beta2.
Sure enough, gives the totally black screen syndrome after choosing parameters from the XOrg menus. No dummy start up procedures worked, no keystrokes were active, no boot codes worked. A thousand curses on XOrg and laptops!
The biggest single problem seems to be that Barry has removed the XVesa option from the menu. I reached the XVesa selection, which works perfectly, by selecting a crt monitor, then hitting the <Fix> button to access the XOrg/XVesa choice - there may be other ways of doing this, but I see laptops as an utter waste of time and intellectual effort, so anything that works will do. I suspect that XOrg might work if crt choices are used, but why bother - XVesa is all that is need for a basic Puppy OS.
Laptop manufacturers deserve to DIE!

Gn2

#48 Post by Gn2 »

Laptop OEM oddities aside - Vesa always works - IF the kernel makefile was edited to include compatible frame buffer modes !
If/when any glitches arise - generic Linux methods and full CLI power should be available
OR how any LInux variant has deviated to be able to apply altered trouble shooting methods

(As does knowing what is happening. behind scenes minus any wizardy that fails).

Sage

#49 Post by Sage »

We read this morning that Barry has reverted to his earlier, more rational video mode selection procedure for v2.13-final. I note your comments in another thread, G, about BIOS settings and PNP. Like I said, a thousand curses on laptops and their manufacturers. What does it take to stop folk wasting their personal wealth on these monstrosities?! If the company wants you to have one, that's their problem.....