A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
oldyeller

#21 Post by oldyeller »

Hello everyone.

Is this a 32bit iso

zigbert

#22 Post by zigbert »

mavrothal wrote:@zigbert
Regarding first boot: is reproducible. Fire 6.0.8.1, fix the symlinks, try to change the top tray and press apply at the end. Nothing.
Restart jwm see change in tray but no change in behaviour.
However, restart X and now tray management behaves.
I am sure it is like that for you, but I still can't reproduce it.
Img shows tray management at first run of 6.0.8.1 including the jwm_config 'patch'.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(77.28 KiB) Downloaded 1796 times

zigbert

#23 Post by zigbert »

oldyeller wrote:Hello everyone.

Is this a 32bit iso
Yes it is

zigbert

#24 Post by zigbert »

mavrothal wrote:Gtk theme switcher is only accessible through the pTheme applet. Should be accessible from the main puppy desktop applet.
That is how it is supposed to be. All themeing is pointed to pTheme (Wallpaper is different). Puppy is heavy themable, so looking at one theme module without getting the big picture is backwards (imho). gtk-themeing is just one of many modules, and one of the reason for making pTheme was to clean up... I suggest we also remove icon-switcher from desktop menu as for gtk-switcher in the ptheme pinstall script in woof.
mavrothal wrote:It is unclear what what the "clear" button does in the window buttons theme applet and more important why it restarts jwm.
The button tooltip says: Reinstates the stock standard icons. Jwm has a builtin set of button icons. Jwm has to restart to activate these.
mavrothal wrote:Cancel in the jwm theme switcher applet restarts jwm. it should not.
OK BTW does nothing (as it should in this case).
A single click on one of the theme-buttons switch theme. The cancel button has to switch back to the theme used before you ran the themeswitcher - therefor restarting jwm. If you click Ok, activated theme is what the user like, and there is no reason for restarting jwm.
mavrothal wrote:The background icon in the icon switcher applet defaults to tilled and looks strange (check stardust blue or grey) if the wallpaper is set to (the default) "stretched". Should follow whatever is selected in the wallpaper setter or at least the default.(stretched)
This technique is to use an image in a gtk background. The question of stretching has been raised before, and I have not seen anyone solved it. It seems that gtk only supports tiles. This is an issue for small images like startdust blue/grey. These are meant to be replaced by svg images which hasn't the same prooblem.

zigbert

#25 Post by zigbert »

jwm themeswitcher is updated at woof, and handles now themes from both $HOME/.jwm and /usr/share/jwm

zigbert

#26 Post by zigbert »

attached pet contains all previous fixes and svg backgrounds for builtin global themes. This also fixes the background in the icon-switcher.
Everything is added to Woof.

The old png wallpapers in woof should be deleted:
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... ackgrounds
Attachments
patch_jwm_config-0.5.pet
(16.04 KiB) Downloaded 522 times

James C

#27 Post by James C »

Finally made time to do a couple of test installs.Looks ok ootb, installed a few packages and no real trouble yet.

Code: Select all

# inxi -Fff
System:    Host: puppypc15716 Kernel: 3.14.55 i686 (32 bit) Desktop: JWM 2.3.2 Distro: Slacko Puppy 6.0.8.1
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A97 LE R2.0 version: Rev 1.xx serial: 150545593600028
           Bios: American Megatrends version: 2601 date: 03/24/2015
CPU:       Hexa core AMD FX-6300 Six-Core (-MCP-) cache: 12288 KB 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1400.00 MHz 2: 1400.00 MHz 3: 1400.00 MHz 4: 1400.00 MHz 5: 3000.00 MHz 6: 1400.00 MHz
           CPU Flags: 3dnowprefetch abm aes aperfmperf apic arat avx bmi1 clflush cmov cmp_legacy 
           constant_tsc cpb cr8_legacy cx16 cx8 de decodeassists extapic extd_apicid f16c flushbyasid 
           fma fma4 fpu fxsr fxsr_opt ht hw_pstate ibs lahf_lm lbrv lm lwp mca mce misalignsse mmx 
           mmxext monitor msr mtrr nodeid_msr nonstop_tsc npt nrip_save nx osvw pae pat pausefilter 
           pclmulqdq pdpe1gb perfctr_core perfctr_nb pfthreshold pge pni popcnt pse pse36 rdtscp 
           sep skinit sse sse2 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm svm_lock syscall tbm tce topoext tsc 
           tsc_scale vmcb_clean vme vmmcall wdt xop xsave 
Graphics:  Card: Failed to Detect Video Card! 
           X.org: 1.14.3 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: vesa) tty size: 80x25 Advanced Data: N/A for root 
Audio:     Card-1: HDA ATI SB driver: HDA-Intel Sound: ALSA ver: k3.14.55
           Card-2: HDA NVidia driver: HDA-Intel 
           Card-3: pcsp driver: PC-Speaker 
Network:   Card: Failed to Detect Network Card! 
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1120.2GB (2.4% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: KINGSTON_SV300S3 size: 120.0GB 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD10EZEX size: 1000.2GB 
Partition: ID: swap-1 size: 8.60GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 126 Uptime: 11 min Memory: 213.1/2953.8MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.17 
Attachments
latest.jpg
(78.57 KiB) Downloaded 1765 times

B.K. Johnson

#28 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@01micko
ndiswrapper in slacko-6.0.8.1 worked initially followed by what seemed to be lack of persistency on reboots The last 3 reboots seem to be ok, so I'm watching.

Changed cursor OK, but there are issues with desktop manager as shown in accompanying screenshots.
Expected right-click at the desktop to launch Menu but it didn't..On first attempt to rectify that, I got an error, but it worked after exiting. Reverted to non-operational mode since then.
Tried to get the bright menu instead of zigbert's favourite 'stardust', but again an error about settings.

All for now.

[EDIT 10/29]
ndiswrapper continues to work Persistent between reboots.

The patch fixed the other problems. Surprised about the change to mouse middle button for Menu.
Attachments
4menuchange.png
Attempting to get a bright menu
(57.41 KiB) Downloaded 1726 times
mouse_right-click.png
Error when adding right-click to launch Menu
(68.86 KiB) Downloaded 1724 times
Last edited by B.K. Johnson on Fri 30 Oct 2015, 06:00, edited 1 time in total.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

Billtoo

Re: Slacko 6.0.8.1

#29 Post by Billtoo »

01micko wrote: This version is built from woof-CE testing branch commit 4c1f96e and is fully reproducible. See this thread for more on building slacko.
I built this tonight, did a manual frugal install to a usb-3.0 hard
drive, pc is an Acer laptop:

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Thu 29 Oct 2015 on Slacko Puppy 6.0.8.1 Linux 3.14.54 i686
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
oem: Intel(R) Sandybridge/Ivybridge Graphics Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(R) Sandybridge/Ivybridge Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.14.3
dimensions: 1366x768 pixels (361x203 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 9.1.7

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3227U CPU @ 1.90GHz
Core 0: @1067 1: @937 2: @906 3: @824 MHz

I added applications with PPM and installed some pets.
My Broadcom Corporation BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n isn't supported but
that's the only problem so far.

Thanks.

Edit: I did a manual frugal install to a usb-3.0 hard drive on my HP desktop.

There is no 32bit zarfy available but this line saved as 2monitors.sh
and placed in /root/startup does the job on this desktop:

xrandr --auto --output HDMI2 --mode 1920x1080 --left-of HDMI1
Attachments
Screenshot(2).jpg
(39.64 KiB) Downloaded 1617 times
Screenshot.jpg
(109.05 KiB) Downloaded 1723 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Thu 29 Oct 2015, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.

mavrothal

#30 Post by mavrothal »

B.K. Johnson wrote: Expected right-click at the desktop to launch Menu but it didn't..On first attempt to rectify that, I got an error, but it worked after exiting. Reverted to non-operational mode since then
From just 2 posts above yours, install patch_jwm_config-0.5.pet (or any of the previous 4 versions here)

BTW @zigbert, 0.5 has ironed out most bugs :D
The only thing I think it should be fixed for "production" is the disappearance of the try if a hide position other than appearing position is selected. Ideally only on/of should be offered. So the AUTOHIDE variable (on/off) should rather call a function that in case of "on" would evaluate /root/.jwm/tmp/tray_{VALIGN.HALIGN,DIRECTION_VER,DIRECTION_HOR} and set top/bottom/left/right properly in tray_AUTOHIDE.

@01micko (@zigbert), I thought I noticed a recent change in wallapaper pet version, in case this was before this built, the default tree widget when you open the app in NOT from /usr/share/backgrounds but from /root. Also (or because of that?) when you press clear the entire desktop is wiped out including background, icons, and drives! Installing one of the default themes reinstates everything.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

01micko

#31 Post by 01micko »

zigbert wrote:The old png wallpapers in woof should be deleted:
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... ackgrounds
Ok.. can do.

However.. should "Stardust bright.svg" and "Stardust dark.svg" each have a space in the naming?
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#32 Post by 01micko »

mavrothal wrote:@01micko (@zigbert), I thought I noticed a recent change in wallapaper pet version, in case this was before this built, the default tree widget when you open the app in NOT from /usr/share/backgrounds but from /root. Also (or because of that?) when you press clear the entire desktop is wiped out including background, icons, and drives! Installing one of the default themes reinstates everything.
I made a trivial change to the wallpaper app (68c094b) that supports svg, only 1 line changed. The default should open at /usr/share/backgrounds. The package is wallpaper-0.6.5.pet.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

ASRI éducation

#33 Post by ASRI éducation »

Slacko 6.0.8.1 (32 bit)

I test since this morning.
Globally it works well, users will appreciate.

Not user friendly: right/Middle click at the desktop to launch Menu = nothing is happening.

I continue testing...

Regards,
Projet ASRI éducation => [url=http://asri-education.org/]Association[/url] | [url=http://forum.asri-education.org/]Forum[/url] | [url=http://dl01.asri-education.org/]Dépôt[/url] | [url=http://kids.asri-education.org/]Espace kids[/url]

gcmartin

#34 Post by gcmartin »

Could/should the next Slacko version have a Menu item entry for the utility to exchange the kernel?

rufwoof

#35 Post by rufwoof »

Downloaded ISO, extracted initrd.gz, vmlinuz, puppy sfs, zdrv sfs into a directory and set grub4dos menu to point to that ...etc. Booted and played around with the themes etc for a while and then wasn't able to switch back to the brighter menu theme ... error as per the attached image.

Not seeing my via Rhine ethernet.

Desktop middle/right clicks not bringing up menu.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(141.21 KiB) Downloaded 1682 times

mavrothal

#36 Post by mavrothal »

Mick,
you may want to put zigbert's pet in the first post because this is not fun anymore...
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

James C

#37 Post by James C »

mavrothal wrote:Mick,
you may want to put zigbert's pet in the first post because this is not fun anymore...
Probably won't bother to read past the download link anyway...... :)

gcmartin

#38 Post by gcmartin »

User awareness could be raised with "something" like this:
!!! Read this Opening Post in its entirety for keynotes !!!

and as this moves to GA, could mention a minimum supported platform to clue users in.

mavrothal

#39 Post by mavrothal »

James C wrote: Probably won't bother to read past the download link anyway...... :)
Mick,
you may want to put zigbert's pet in the first post, before the download link, because this is not fun anymore...

( :P )

Jasper

#40 Post by Jasper »

gcmartin wrote:

Could/should the next Slacko version have a Menu item entry for the utility to exchange the kernel?
01micko (had already written):

This is never going to have a menu entry. I don't want complete noobs poking around with it and then complaining.