JWMDesk-2.5

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
radky

JWMDesk-2.5

#1 Post by radky »

Recommended OS
Standard 32-Bit and 64-Bit Puppy >= version 5.5

Purpose
JWMdesk is a simple interface for comprehensive management of the JWM desktop environment.

Zigbert's excellent jwm_config utility is the future for JWM management in Puppy, but the JWMdesk utility may be of interest to those who require an alternate interface for management of JWM configuration options.

Base Features
Tab 1: Quick access to common desktop management utilities (both JWM and non-JWM applications)
Tab 2: Manage menu items or change the menu appearance
Tab 3: Convenient management of desktop window configuration options
Tab 4: Easily change the appearance, geometry and functions of the tray
Tab 5: Enhanced management of application launchers (tray buttons)
Tab 6: Options including management of an accessory launch bar
Tab 7: JWM profile management

Caveats
1 - JWMdesk manages the primary desktop panel and provides convenient control of an accessory launch bar similar to the popular wbar utility.

2 - JWM is actively developed by Joe Wingbermuehle and recent changes entail multiple new features as well as loss of legacy functions. Consequently, JWMdesk checks the vgit and standard versioning of the currently-running JWM and enables/disables GUI options according to their availability.

3 - All functions for JWM configuration management are included in the JWMdesk installation, so the application is portable and functional in multiple different Puppy distros. Specifically, the Puppy-standard /usr/local/jwmconfig2 folder is not required.

4 - In addition to 01micko's desksetup utility (Icon Layout), JWMdesk includes the Puppy-standard keyboard (JWM Hotkey), icon_switcher (Icon Theme) and window_buttons utilities.

5 - JWMdesk provides quick access to menu management by the standard Puppy menu manager, or by PupMenu (PupMenuEdit module) if installed.

6 - The default width of the JWMdesk graphical interface is 500 pixels. The sixth tab provides an option to change the default size of the GUI depending on your screen size and personal preferences. For example: lower the value to accommodate small screens, or raise the value to remove the annoyance of scrollbars. Or, if you prefer, the GUI is scalable for manual resizing.

Download
http://www.smokey01.com/radky/JWMDesk-2.5.pet

Standard Puppy (Woof-CE) provides vector (svg) images for the taskbar buttons, but JWM also supports bitmap button images. The optional window buttons pet below contains four Gnome-based bitmap themes modified for Puppy Linux (Ambiance, Ambiance-Blue, Radiance and Zukitwo). After installation, go to the Window tab of JWMdesk to activate the new buttons.

Optional window buttons
http://www.smokey01.com/radky/jwm_gnome_buttons.pet

Optional JWM themes (Requires modern jwm >= 2.3.0)
http://www.smokey01.com/radky/JWM_themes_update-2.1.pet

Desktop

Menu

Window

Tray

Launch

Options

Profiles

Window buttons module

Optional JWM themes
Last edited by radky on Fri 12 Jul 2019, 16:19, edited 27 times in total.
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

radky

#2 Post by radky »

JWMDesk-2.5
- Optionally display numerical coordinates of the selected desktop window. Go to Window tab -> Move and Resize options -> Coordinates (thanks tallboy)
- Adjust svg format of JWM button icons for compatibility with librsvg >= 2.44 in recent Pups (thanks 01micko)

- JWM_themes_update-2.1
- Critical Update: Adjust compatibility with recent changes in Woof-CE -- do not use symlinked /tmp directory during pet installation (thanks gyrog and wdlkmpx)

JWMDesk-2.4.3
- Add option to change color of retrovol/pnmixer speaker icon (JWMDesk -> Tray tab)
- Add critical desksetup.sh update (Desk Icon Setup) to support recent changes in Woof-CE
- Add puppy-white.svg icon as an option for the jwm menu button (thanks 666philb)

JWMDesk-2.4.2
- Bugfix: in some scenarios, JWMDesk did not restart after creating or deleting an accessory launchbar (thanks 666philb)

JWMDesk-2.4.1
- Adjust compatibility with ptheme in jwm_config desktop environment (thanks peebee)

JWMDesk-2.4
- Adjust GUI for improved widget placement and visibility
- Add support for clicktitle and sloppytitle window focus options to raise a window to the top layer only when the title or border of the window is clicked (requires JWM vgit >= 1580 or standard release >= 2.3.7)
- Add support for adjustable spacing of tray notification icons (requires JWM vgit >= 1578 or standard release >= 2.3.7)
- Update desksetup.sh for BK's Quirky/Easy Linux
- Bugfix: Motif theming of windows was shown incorrectly as an option for developmental releases of JWM prior to vgit 1126 (22-Jun-2015)

JWMDesk-2.3
- Add option to change the jwm menu button (icon and label)
- Add support for Motif theming of windows (ornate handles) in jwm >= 2.3.1 (thanks OscarTalks)
- Add support for the new Woof-CE approach to resizing the menu of jwm
- Add button to view and quickly identify current desktop themes (Background, GTK theme, JWM theme, Icons and Cursor)
- Adjust GUI and add Menu tab for improved accessibility to desktop options
- Adjust compatibility with recent changes in Woof-CE

JWMDesk-2.2.1
- Adjust user interface
- Bugfix: intermittent 'unary operator expected' error messages in tahrpup & xenialpup

JWMDesk-2.2
- Add support for the aerosnap option of JWM >= 2.3.6 (thanks recobayu)
- Add support for titlebar height of 1-64 pixels
- Add support for the new binary-detection heuristics of grep >= 2.21
- Adjust integration with the jwm_config desktop environment of Woof-CE

JWMDesk-2.1
- Add compatibility with recent changes in JWM theming as defined by Woof-CE
- Add 'Trash icon only' option to desksetup.sh utility (Icon Layout button)

JWMDesk-2.0
- Add support for simultaneous management of two panels (main panel & accessory launcher panel). Note: Support for panel (tray) buttons may vary significantly in older versions of JWM. For example, in JWM vgit-976, icons may not resize correctly in vertical accessory panels.
- Adjust modules of Window, Tray and Launcher tabs for improved access to individual options
- Add (optional) control of window and menu geometry (titlebar height, window border width and menu icon height) in all supported versions of JWM, plus control of window corner radius in JWM vgit >=1215 or standard versions >=2.3.2). Note: Disable (uncheck) this option and control of window geometry reverts to jwmrc or the current jwm theme.
- Add treeview application icons to Launcher tab and implement single-click addition of new panel buttons (code from PupMenu)
- Add option to manually edit JWM profiles
- Add support for menu management in Puppy distros with no default menumanager
- Add support for management of pixmap (raster) images in taskbar buttons (requires JWM vgit >=848 or standard version >=2.2.0)
- Add spash screen
- Adjust compatibility with jwm_config environment (including support for hybrid-tray autohide and graphic delineation of tray placement). Thank you zigbert.
- Adjust theme_switcher GUI for legacy JWM
- Remove JWMDesk support for button borders in legacy JWM
- Bugfix: autodetect width of vertical trays

JWMDesk-1.3
- Add layer option to JWM tray management (above, normal, below).
- Add support for all tray-placement options in legacy and modern JWM (left, center and right for horizontal and vertical trays). Note: Autohide is automatically disabled for horizontal trays centered vertically (or vertical trays centered horizontally).
- Update JWM Theme Switcher with support for legacy and jwm_config desktop environments.
- Increase available size options for the initial JWMDesk window (adjust GUI to smaller screens).
- Add support for qwallpaper (Desktop tab).
- Bugfix: add support for JWM theming parameters specified by the jwm_config desktop environment.
- Bugfix: add compatibility mode for jwmrc-tray configuration and tray-button management in the jwm_config desktop environment. Note: JWMDesk automatically concatenates TrayButton items (menu labels and button launchers) to the left side of the tray.
- Bugfix: update the alert message when launching desksetup.sh and the desktop pinboard is not PuppyPin. (thanks MochiMoppel)
- Bugfix: disregard invalid XML tags in some jwmrc-tray files.

JWMDesk-1.2
- Moved screensaver module to separate directory.
- Bugfix: missing gettext in screensaver module.
- Bugfix: kde and kde4 applications did not launch from the JWM tray. (thanks Billtoo)
- Bugfix: executables with double quotes failed to display in the window of 'Current Panel Buttons' (ex: wine executables).

JWMDesk-1.1
- Adjustment of GUI elements in the Window tab.
- Updated icons in the JWMDesk tray.
- Bugfix: The combobox selection queue of the Launcher tab did not automatically clear after deleting an item from the list of current panel buttons. (thanks bigpup)
- Bugfix: Updated 'New Panel Button' code for frugal and full installs of Puppy. (thanks bigpup)
Last edited by radky on Fri 12 Jul 2019, 16:44, edited 15 times in total.
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

8Geee

#3 Post by 8Geee »

looks OK 2 me. A Question about themes is all I have... which ones are being included? theres been a thread or three with puppy enthusiasts' stuff... some OK and some different and some a little strange. :)
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Jasper

#4 Post by Jasper »

Hi 8Geee,

Everything radky publishes is superb, though I'll leave him to answer your question.

As regards a Gtk theme if you already have the "Polished-Blue" theme it will allow a change in width and style of your scroll bars as per screen shot; else, you could import it.
This also works with FireFox, SeaMonkey and PaleMoon browsers.

My regards

EDIT:

Hi radky, My apology for cluttering your thread - despite my obvious error, it has only just occurred to me that a Gtk theme is not a JWM theme.
Attachments
shot.png
(53.71 KiB) Downloaded 7170 times
Last edited by Jasper on Tue 27 Oct 2015, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.

radky

#5 Post by radky »

8Geee wrote:looks OK 2 me. A Question about themes is all I have... which ones are being included? theres been a thread or three with puppy enthusiasts' stuff... some OK and some different and some a little strange. :)
Hi 8Geee,

JWMDesk is for management of the current (or future) JWM desktop, so no additional themes are included. :)

Thanks

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

Tahrpup 6.0.3

Launcher tab->New Panel Button

This does not seem to work for me.
Select something to add.
Select apply.
No change.

Notice my screen looks slightly different from the posted image.
I have no edit button.
Attachments
capture6359.jpg
(50.82 KiB) Downloaded 7149 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

radky

#7 Post by radky »

bigpup wrote:Tahrpup 6.0.3

This does not seem to work for me.
Select something to add.
Select apply.
No change.

Notice my screen looks slightly different from the posted image.
I have no edit button.
Hi bigpup,

Have you successfully added apps to the panel?

The 'New Panel Button' option includes code that prevents adding duplicate applications to the list.

While testing JWMDesk, if you select an application from the combobox drop-down list, it should automatically add to the list above, and then you can click 'Apply' to add it to the tray.

However, if you subsequently delete the application from the list above and the application is still registered in the combobox selection queue, it will not add to the list again until you refresh the queue by selecting a different application in the drop-down list.

The 'edit' button only shows if the user has installed PupMenu, or more specifically the PupMenuEdit module of PupMenu.

Thanks

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

radky,

It seems I have problems with my Tahrpup 6.0.3 install.
I have used this one for a lot of tweaking, testing programs, bug fix options, etc.....
I probably broke something, just do not know what, yet.

I tried JWMDesk in a clean fresh install of Tahrpup6.0.3
Launcher tab->New Panel Button working OK in this one.

Sorry for false alarm. :oops:

Hey, I did get you to give more details on how it works. :lol:
That is good info to know. :D

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
YaPI(any iso installer)

radky

#9 Post by radky »

bigpup wrote: I tried JWMDesk in a clean fresh install of Tahrpup6.0.3
Launcher tab->New Panel Button working OK in this one.
Hi bigpup,

Thanks for your reply and confirmation. :)

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

I am trying to troubleshoot the problem I had with Launcher tab->New Panel Button in one of my Tahrpup 6.0.3 install.

This is a full install of Tahrpup 6.0.3 on a internal hard drive.

I ran Launcher tab->New Panel Button in the console and got this.
The files are located where it is trying to find them.
Could being a full install be causing this error? :idea:
Attachments
capture7311.png
(107.72 KiB) Downloaded 7019 times
Last edited by bigpup on Fri 30 Oct 2015, 00:58, edited 1 time in total.
YaPI(any iso installer)

radky

#11 Post by radky »

Hi bigpup,

I don't have a full install for testing.

Could you try the following updated file.

Extract the .gz file and place jwmdesk in the /usr/local/jwmdesk folder.

Thanks
Attachments
jwmdesk.gz
(9.01 KiB) Downloaded 1088 times

bigpup

#12 Post by bigpup »

Thanks for the different jwmdesk file. :!: :!:,
No help..

Sorry if I gave you the idea something was wrong with your code.
It works fine in a fresh new install of Tahrpup 6.0.3 full or frugal.

Very nice program!!

I just have problems in my old full install of Tahrpup.
I was hoping, by posting what it was doing, you maybe had an idea of what could be wrong.
Just picking your mind for ideas :idea:
YaPI(any iso installer)

radky

#13 Post by radky »

bigpup wrote:It works fine in a fresh new install of Tahrpup 6.0.3 full or frugal.
Hi bigpup,

Since JWMDesk is working correctly for you in new frugal and new full installs, it may be time to retire your old full install which has served you well. :)

I'll prepare updates for JWMDesk-1.1 and upload to the forum soon (after testing).

Thanks

radky

#14 Post by radky »

JWMDesk-1.1

See first post for description and second post for changelog.

Billtoo

JWMDesk-1.1

#15 Post by Billtoo »

Hi
It's working fine in Slacko-64 but won't work with kdegames added with PPM.
Thanks
Attachments
Addlauncher.jpg
(103.89 KiB) Downloaded 6870 times

radky

Re: JWMDesk-1.1

#16 Post by radky »

Billtoo wrote:Hi
It's working fine in Slacko-64 but won't work with kdegames added with PPM.
Thanks
Hi Billtoo,

The following update should support launching kde and kde4 apps from the JWM tray.

Remove the fake .gz extention and place jwmdesk in the /usr/local/jwmdesk folder.

Thanks

Edit: removed jwmdesk.gz
Last edited by radky on Fri 20 Nov 2015, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

JWMDesk-1.1

#17 Post by Billtoo »

I did the above + changed the permissions.
Works great, thanks.
Attachments
Launchers.jpg
(5.49 KiB) Downloaded 1182 times

radky

Re: JWMDesk-1.1

#18 Post by radky »

Billtoo wrote:I did the above + changed the permissions.
Works great, thanks.
Thanks for the quick response!

I'll prepare JWMDesk-1.2 and upload soon.

radky

#19 Post by radky »

JWMDesk-1.2. See first post.
- Moved screensaver module to separate directory.
- Bugfix: missing gettext in screensaver module.
- Bugfix: kde and kde4 applications did not launch from the JWM tray. (thanks Billtoo)
- Bugfix: executables with double quotes failed to display in the window of 'Current Panel Buttons' (ex: wine executables).

radky

#20 Post by radky »

Small issue in first upload of JWMDesk-1.2. :oops:

If you downloaded in the last 30 minutes, please download again.

Thanks