tahrpup 6.0.5 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
unicorn316386

#1081 Post by unicorn316386 »

666philb wrote:new iso uploaded for testing

this is mainly a bugfix iso but there are a few new things and updated packages

kernel 3.14.56 (this may change)
dunst OSD ...nice little on screen display
JWM desk manager replaces lots of entries in the desktop menu (radky)
multirename replaces gfnrename (sfr)
full samba (mikeb)
netmon_wce replaces network_tray (01micko)
gcc-4.8
hacks_post_install .... official googleearth.deb now works
new gtk themes

updated...

geany..also added paste it plugin
deadbeef ...switched to compiled version
sylpheed
palemoon (will be the latest for the release)
transmission ...using qt version
and lots of other packages & ubuntu.debs

known bugs
quickpet still needs updating and drivers building for the release kernel.
IDLE menu entry in utilities
missing release info in help

hopefully there's not to much else wrong

downloads
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... pup-6.0.4/

happy testing
Thanks. :) I notice that the Firewall icon turns to On/green right after I connect to the internet, even though I didn't set it up yet. After I reboot, the firewall icon corrects itself and says Off until I officially set it up though. The wallpaper sky.svg had funny gray and black lines on the top when I used default (Stretched) on 1024x768. The other sky FB wallpaper (my favorite) makes sda1 and sda2 writing hidden because grass is black - heh. Noticed something similar as mavrothal (need to connect manually to wi-fi after each reboot). On first boot, "recognizing optical device" takes around 10 seconds in this kernel (I have no CD-rom drive) and in Slacko 6.0.8.1 as well, which seems longer than before, but only happens on first boot (before I create a savefile). Is using Tahr-User better than tahr###### in HexChat? I think that was all that caught my attention (all tiny things) so far.

sheldonisaac

#1082 Post by sheldonisaac »

Tried 6.0.4 fresh on this Dell E6410. Booted fine.

Confirm firewall strangeness; there are now two green shields in the tray.
EDIT:
Strike that; saved to directory, now just one green shield.

WIred Internet worked immediately.

SNS could not find wireless, Frisbee did. I've seen this previously, perhaps in Tahr.

The green network icon in the tray says Active interface: wlan0
But

Code: Select all

ifconfig  -a | grep -i -A2  Ethernet
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 5C:26:0A:3C:77:EB  
          inet addr:192.168.1.100  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
--
wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 8C:70:5A:03:5C:70  
          inet addr:192.168.1.101  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
Thanks,
Sheldon

lspci -nnk | grep -i net
00:19.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection [8086:10ea] (rev 05)
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak] [8086:0085] (rev 34)
Last edited by sheldonisaac on Thu 05 Nov 2015, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

rcrsn51

#1083 Post by rcrsn51 »

Tahrpup 604 is missing the file /etc/dhcpcd.conf. This causes an assortment of problems, wired and wireless, relating to /etc/resolv.conf. In some cases, depending on your ISP, it will cause your web browser to fail.

I grabbed the version from Tahrpup 602 and it worked.
Attachments
dhcpcd_conf_tahrpup-6.0.2.pet
(875 Bytes) Downloaded 150 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 08 Nov 2015, 14:12, edited 4 times in total.

Iguleder

#1084 Post by Iguleder »

666philb wrote:IDLE menu entry in utilities
This issue has already been fixed in woof-CE - make sure you're using the latest commit :?
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

oui

#1085 Post by oui »

rcrsn51 wrote:Tahrpup 604 is missing the file /etc/dhcpcd.conf. This causes an assortment of problems, wired and wireless, relating to /etc/resolv.conf.

I grabbed the version from Tahrpup 602 and it worked.
It is so because the theory that Woof prevent errors only works if the errors are eliminated and if nobody use "non permitted" changes will not be really applicated...

And it is the same with a lot of decisions make by users thinking the other users are to idiot to handle right :roll: :roll: :roll: , so the installation of a question, after the first start, if the user will create a save file (it is matter of the menu to give access of that option, not a little window, that you can not avoid :roll: any more) or the presetting to that question "yes" (it is double error!)...

that is the reason why puppy, a time rang 7 in distrowatch, is now rang 17 : to complicate, sometime really user enemy as it is not easy to eliminate those little windows.

concerning printing I did realize that other distros (lubuntu minimal, less than Puppy, really) did avoid to add the old stuff as in old times. my (actual) printer (Brother HL-2035) uses not gutenprint in lubuntu but Brother HL-2035 Foomatic/hl1250 . And it works absolut without problem. I suppose that Puppy presets here a wrong value in cups...

adding amount of old Puppy stuff in new Puppy without to test them all makes that often Puppy does not work any more universally.

oui

#1086 Post by oui »

ok
I did reboot and start librepup, my actually prefered Puppy.
cups offers no foomatic filters...

rcrsn51

#1087 Post by rcrsn51 »

@oui:

1. Go to openprinting.org
2. Search their database for your Brother HL-2035
3. Download the PPD file.
4. Use it in CUPS to install your printer.

oui

#1088 Post by oui »

Hi rcrsn51, thank you very much for your help

Starting cups and printer is on, I get picture cups1: cups did recognize the Printer an show it as a separate option! About in ALL Puppys. not only in Librepup...

Picture cups2 shows:

I have 2 :roll: drivers for Cups (over gutenprint! gutenprint is also present and would be enough normally :idea: ):

Left: my subdir /mnt/sda6/my/depot: second line, left, brotherhl2030pr-2.0.1-1.i386.deb and, next icone, brotherSl2035.gz...

If I use the second (found at openprinting.org) the printer installs and start but, says "printed, no more job", the printer makes a lot of noices, but not paper appears :cry: ...

If I install the first from Ubuntu,
-after that, if I reinstall, a only one foomatic line appears at the right place in the selections gui for printer variants (picture cups2, top part, see red point!)
- but the result is and stay "unsupported" (see same picture, right, under the precedent, message after Print Self-Test Page!

Note: Ubuntu 14.04, the real ubuntu, is the only one where I can print, in both installations 32 and 64 bit. Both install (full) foomatic. I don't need to install some brotherhl2030pr-2.0.1-1.i386.deb etc. I works even in lubuntu minimalist (lubuntu minimalist is an barbone of ubuntu. But I did select in tTahr pup does aksel "printer server"!

Tahrpup, both 32 or 64, does not work.
Attachments
cups1.jpg
(53.07 KiB) Downloaded 683 times
cups2.jpg
(52.06 KiB) Downloaded 685 times

oui

#1089 Post by oui »

I did now return to Lubuntu minimal and made following picture showing on all drivers offered by the selection "printer server" in Ubuntu for that Brother printer!

- the printer works properly
- œ is present in keyboard layout "us intl" (AltGr K ! is missing, because the table of us intl is wrong in Puppy, in all Puppy excepted the old archpup from sigmarl)
- the resolution of my laptop hd screen is perfect (also in Librepup but not in unicorn, not Tahrpup)
- xombrero, old ubuntu release xxxterm (lubuntu did produce an extra one as xombrero in a separate depository) works perfectly

and all my puppy stuff is installed in Puppy like mode (see my hidden JWM tray left as it was usual in Puppy Xtreme! But, different from Puppy Xtreme, I use, you can see that, the textual incons from JWM so that it would be possible to erase the unneeding icons directory: I am not analphabet: I can read texts :roll: ...). And Ubuntu offers a long time ago now the hidden login without login stop! What will you more?

hm ,,,
Attachments
cups3.jpg
(36.12 KiB) Downloaded 682 times
Last edited by oui on Thu 05 Nov 2015, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#1090 Post by rcrsn51 »

I own a Brother HL-2070N. I installed it in Tahrpup using the Brother HL-2035 Foomatic/hl1250 PPD. It worked fine.

Don't use "Print Self-Test Page". Use "Print Test Page" or print from an application.

oui

#1091 Post by oui »

rcrsn51 wrote:I own a Brother HL-2070N. I installed it in Tahrpup using the Brother HL-2035 Foomatic/hl1250 PPD. It worked fine.

Don't use "Print Self-Test Page". Use "Print Test Page" or print from an application.
I did use Print Test Page (from Cups): it is only a different text in the message but I can't influence it :wink: .

Thank you again dear rcrsn51.

But actually, I have diverse troubles in Puppy, listed above (resolution of screen of my DELL laptop Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz with screen 1920 x 1080 8 GB, xombrero, keyboard bug since 10 years in Puppy, and printer refusing to work)... The extremely little Lubuntu minimal (can really be compared with Puppy; is also a highly stripped software!) does absolutely no one of those problems (Iguleder did solve one of them in his Librepup made differently as the other Puppys, about the same effect as the archpup 3..4 years ago!)...

unicorn316386

#1092 Post by unicorn316386 »

oui wrote:The extremely little Lubuntu minimal (can really be compared with Puppy; is also a highly stripped software!)
I use a 512MB flash stick and Lubuntu does not fit. I don't think it even fits on a regular 650MB CD, you have to get an 800MB one. Not exactly minimal at 300% larger than tahrpup. I would expect 3 times the functionality out-of-the-box to make up for it.

oui

#1093 Post by oui »

unicorn316386 wrote:
oui wrote:The extremely little Lubuntu minimal (can really be compared with Puppy; is also a highly stripped software!)
I use a 512MB flash stick and Lubuntu does not fit. I don't think it even fits on a regular 650MB CD, you have to get an 800MB one. Not exactly minimal at 300% larger than tahrpup. I would expect 3 times the functionality out-of-the-box to make up for it.
wrong: calculate how your system did be squashed!!! usually factor 3 .. 4 !!!

Lubuntu can not fit because it is full installed!

The most new Quirky versions do the same: They need 2 .. more than 5 Giga byte RAM to be started although they are only...

...new Puppy's with a size from only ab. 250 MB!

a stick 32 GB cost now less than 9 euro / 64 GB less than 20 euro if you really will use an usb memory! I have a HD with 3/4 Terra byte and will absolutely never see an usb memory any more excepted external HD with Terra Bytes size!
Last edited by oui on Thu 05 Nov 2015, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.

unicorn316386

#1094 Post by unicorn316386 »

oui wrote:Lubuntu can not fit because it is full installed!
Which is not minimal. Where is my 250MB version? :D

oui

#1095 Post by oui »

unicorn316386 wrote:
oui wrote:Lubuntu can not fit because it is full installed!
Which is not minimal. Where is my 250MB version? :D
excuse me, I would willing continue the discussion I don't understand (my English is bad) your question.

oui

#1096 Post by oui »

Hi rcrsn51
rcrsn51 wrote:Don't use "Print Self-Test Page". Use "Print Test Page" or print from an application.
I did reproduce my test this evening and you are right: as I don't work often in cups and do that in different languages, I did mix the to commands. But the Print Test Page did not bring a better isue.
rcrsn51 wrote:I own a Brother HL-2070N. I installed it in Tahrpup using the Brother HL-2035 Foomatic/hl1250 PPD.
I also did re-download that PPD and reinstall again the printer in a fresh started Librepup. No way to print with that printer in Puppy (that printer is new for me: I did print ab. 10 years with a canon ink printer Pixma 4200 and did have no problem. But the brother works perfectly in ubuntu 14.04 (6 different installations with completely different iso's: Kubuntu, Unity and Lubuntu all 32 bit and 64 bit because I was wishing to test if my laptop become very warmer in 64 as in 32 bit)...

radky

#1097 Post by radky »

Re: tahrpup 6.0.4

Folder icons in some gtkdialog apps are from the current desktop icon theme but they do not resize correctly in tahrpup 6.0.4 (for example, the large folder icons in the Puppy wallpaper application).
Attachments
image-1.png
(59.34 KiB) Downloaded 1330 times
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

gcmartin

#1098 Post by gcmartin »

TahrPUP's birthday is in 20 days. Great community effort in this production which has brought new approaches to the kennel.

Thx.

gyro

#1099 Post by gyro »

radky wrote:Folder icons in some gtkdialog apps are from the current desktop icon theme but they do not resize correctly in tahrpup 6.0.4 (for example, the large folder icons in the Puppy wallpaper application).
Try patching the file "/root/.icons/ROX/index.theme" with this diff:

--- index.theme.orig	2015-06-28 10:11:47.000000000 +1000
+++ index.theme	2015-11-08 00:47:04.912946792 +1000
@@ -7,4 +7,4 @@
 [MIME]
 Size=48
 Context=MimeTypes
-Type=Fixed
+Type=Threshold
gyro

radky

#1100 Post by radky »

gyro wrote:Try patching the file "/root/.icons/ROX/index.theme" with this diff:
Hi gyro,

Changing 'Fixed' to 'Threshold' corrected the oversized icons in the wallpaper utility, and other gtkdialog apps as well.

Thank you! :)
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]