BareBones Puppies & BABYies

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rufwoof

#101 Post by rufwoof »

Booted wary 5.3 xvesa only barebone, sfs loaded wary 5.5 puppy and exited to prompt, ran xorgwizard and set nv (nvidia) ok, xwin'd back to desktop. BUT I think both xvesa and nv are running as the scrolling of firefox is slow/jerky. Exiting back out and running xorgwizard to set xvesa again and scrolling is more normal.

I tried loading tahr 6.04 on top of wary 5.3 barebone, but it complains about GLib's missing. Dawned on me that I probably needed to load the zdrv sfs first, but wary 5.3 sfs load doesn't like (load) that. Perhaps if tahr's zdrv content was mksquashfs'd with wary 5.3 ???
Attachments
v.jpg
(58.7 KiB) Downloaded 700 times
ss.jpg
(78.56 KiB) Downloaded 714 times

musher0

#102 Post by musher0 »

Hi, rufwoof.

You wrote:
> Dawned on me that I probably needed to load the zdrv sfs
first, but wary 5.3 sfs load doesn't like (load) that.
I believe there's an option to force (re)creation of a zdrv.sfs for any
Puppy in its remaster utility. That would make your two Puppies level,
I guess.

A comment if I may: it occurred to me that wanting to load a TahrPup-6
on top of a Puppy-5.3 is a bit weird, but hey, "to each his own"! :) You
want to do this because... :)

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

rufwoof

#103 Post by rufwoof »

musher0 wrote: A comment if I may: it occurred to me that wanting to load a TahrPup-6
on top of a Puppy-5.3 is a bit weird, but hey, "to each his own"! :) You
want to do this because... :)
... nowt better to do other than develop experiences of what can and can't be done :)

oui

#104 Post by oui »

rufwoof wrote:Done : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4MbXu ... sp=sharing 61MB ISO of the original barebone wary 5.3, but with dbus PET's extracted and a get_latest_firefox added to the /root directory that downloads/starts the latest firefox. Repacked into a ISO with just the puppy sfs replaced
this barbone is very interesting because it is so tiny (and find place also in very small fat partitions like boot partitions in EFI / UEFI systems and includes gparted (the question is of old gparted versions can do the same and if it is secure as new ones...)

if it would also include testdisk and photorec, it would be a Swiss knife to recover HD :wink:

sorry, the vesa driver is not very good any more: the choices of given resolutions are not the best. it can not be the base to be used often...

rufwoof

#105 Post by rufwoof »

oui wrote:
rufwoof wrote:Done : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4MbXu ... sp=sharing 61MB ISO of the original barebone wary 5.3, but with dbus PET's extracted and a get_latest_firefox added to the /root directory that downloads/starts the latest firefox. Repacked into a ISO with just the puppy sfs replaced
this barbone is very interesting because it is so tiny (and find place also in very small fat partitions like boot partitions in EFI / UEFI systems and includes gparted (the question is of old gparted versions can do the same and if it is secure as new ones...)

if it would also include testdisk and photorec, it would be a Swiss knife to recover HD :wink:

sorry, the vesa driver is not very good any more: the choices of given resolutions are not the best. it can not be the base to be used often...
I've started a separate thread for this one http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 222#871222

I guess with something like a Raspberry Pi plugged into a network with a small puppy running together with a PXE server and appropriate vmlinuz and initrd.gz (barebone puppy) image ... then any other PC on that same LAN that had net boot capabilitity (most network cards support net booting, whether its activated in the PC's boot device/method sequence is another thing) could boot a small barebone type puppy relatively quickly ... that then downloaded and overlaid another fuller puppy on top of that.

The topdog puppy that was to be overlaid could be selected as per requirements .... to fix a PC, do a presentation, ...etc.

Come to that with a underdog puppy (barebone), others could publicise try this topdog (overlaid) puppy from http://xxx.yyy or wherever. Just a simple pointer (to file location anywhere in the world) update.

Much quicker than PXE booting a large image (assuming fast internet access was available).

Puppus Dogfellow

#106 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

ETP wrote:@ Puppus Dogfellow & greengeek,

You may wish to try my f2fs version of 666philb's Unicorn-6.0 building block pupplet.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 817#816817

It is something I keep returning to as it is quick,versatile & very stable.
No problem with Nvidia.

thanks for the rec, ETP. i just recently mirrored the original. does yours have the PPM fix? how can you change the size of the f2fs partition that gets created (or do you need to make an image file first)?

----
[...]

i downloaded the initrd and vmlinuz, placed them in a folder on sda3, ran grub4dos, got the following entry in menu.lst:

title war3ry66 (sda3/wary66)
uuid f8f444ac-98cb-46a2-8f2b-64d2b0ab03a2
kernel /wary66/vmlinuz psubdir=wary66 pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
initrd /wary66/initrd

, which looks good to me. it also gave me the idea to manually redo the frugals on one of my machines--i moved around the folders, unpacked some isos so that the folders looked like any other bootable pup's, reran grub4dos--everything looks like it'd work but i haven't yet rebooted. can anyone think of a reason the preceding would fail (savefolder/savefile issues on existing installations aside) or anything i should change before i attempt to boot one of them? i left one installation intact so i'm pretty sure (possibly faulty jwm compile aside) i'll be able to boot from something off that drive regardless.

[...]

for anyone interested, the installations work that way. you could just copy the format from the menu lst, make a folder with the initrd.gz, the main puppy.sfs, the vmlinuz, and the zdrv, if any (decompress an iso to get htese files), copy the uuid from the blkid readout (just enter blkid in to a terminal window--not necessary if there are working installations on the partitions represented in the menu list--just copy over since the id numbers for the partitions don't change), and the pups you've set up in this way should boot. at least precise and unicorn did, and i don't see why the other puppies (quirkies are likely another story) wouldn't also work. anyway, you could place frugals on any partition with this method. it's pretty quick, too, especially with find and replace, geany, and a few working templates (i.e. a menu list that's worked in the past--again, why recopy the drive data if it's already there. just rename a folder and the paths the entry contains. however, if you've destroyed the menu list, that blkid command comes in pretty handy. i've personally decided to keep a spare menu list in my dropbox folder as a precaution...).

does anyone know how many different ways you can write a menu list and still have it work? what's the boot up process looking for as far as how the list(s) get formatted? how many ways of identifying a text document as a menu list are acceptable? i copied the format that i believe grub4dos generates--it was run many times on all the machines and i believe is a prerequisite for any of this working (i basically said yes, fine, that sounds good to all the pop ups).

unicorn was nice and quick, but i'd like double monitor support out of the box and neither zarfy nor lxrandr seemed to be able to get both monitors to work at the same time...(i eventually got double monitors working in unicorn--zarfy's virtual monitors are a bit--itty bitty, but the gui's manageable enough.

anyway, it does look very promising.

and installations just got a bit easier. for me, anyway.

(hopefully someone else can use it/attest to the fact it works (though i don't think my new installations imaginary)).
edit: seems like a fairly established practice--i'm pretty sure it's just what known around here as a manual frugal.

sindi

Cannot download from google docs with Seamonkey or Opera

#107 Post by sindi »

I want to try a barebones wary on a 500MHz laptop with 6GB hard drive but could not download
from Google Docs with Puppy 4.3.1 Seamonkey 1.1.18, so I installed Opera 12.16 (requires
glibc 2.8 or later) which got me to the download page but the link won't work. Firefox 17 works
(it comes with Arcade Puppy 11).

Google is not the ideal storage site.

I am using MN-510 prism2 USB wifi card because the pcmcia slot is dead. Wary has the driver.
The laptop was supposed to be for game emulation but may be too slow. A neighbor kid wants
it for email. I have made smtube work with wary and lupu by adding libraries and cacert.pem.
Works at 360p with lupu 5.2.8 on here.

sindi

Wary BABY barebones Xvesa works on 500MHz 2001 Compal 256MB

#108 Post by sindi »

Works perfectly except that it crashed when I plugged in a PCMCIA card after booting. At the moment pcmcia is working, with Orinoco Gold card. The MN-510 prism2_usb card that works in full Wary 5.5 and in 4.3.1 is not even seen by barebones - how might I add support for it?

Opera is working portably with no added or updated libraries.

Sound is not working, but it also did not work on here with full Wary 5.5.
It worked with 4.3.1, Lupu 5.2.8.6, and Win2K. lsmod lists a lot of snd modules including ac97. Maybe fixable?

Memory use (subtracting cache and opera at 52%) is about 30MB of the 256MB total.

sindi

Barebones Lupu 5.01 crashes and no ssh, LegacyOS 4 no load

#109 Post by sindi »

I tried Legacy OS 4 mini - kernel panic.
475MB

Legacy OS 2.1 LTS is even larger and I could not mount it loop.

Lupu 5.01 barebones is lacking ssh, and it crashes/freezes if I try to switch to terminal mode - a very odd fadeout effect with dim squares over X.
Repeatable.

Unless I get Wary sound working, that leaves Lupu (5.2.8.6) for working sound and also USB wifi.

Lupu detects this as Maestro 2E ES1978 and sets it up as ES1968.
Wary does not detect it at all.

Puppy 4.3.1 works but not smtube (at least I don't have it working). gtk youtube viewer was broken by Youtube.

Arcade Linux 11 also works. Xvesa works.

Pelo

Try newer but light Puppies

#110 Post by Pelo »

Try newer but light Puppies as Dpup exprimo, Thin Slacko 5.3.3, Or Saluki 013
These ones run on my old laptop born 2004 512M Ram, wireless and audio

sindi

thin slacko 5.5

#111 Post by sindi »

Your 2004 laptop is much newer than most of my laptops. My main computer is a 2001 DELL 1GHz, I have two
others that speed, an 800MHz (works with wary not lupu), and this 500MHz that I am setting up for a kid
who wants to watch youtube. I have smtube working with Puppy's 5 but not 4. Pulp 4.1.2 works fine in
96MB with gtk-1 but cannot handle Firefox past 17 even with glibc upgrade.

Around 2003 laptops started going widescreen and then also glossy. I find both annoying, as I use mainly
text mode.

I set up at least 10 laptops for the neighbor kids 266MHz+. They claim to want just email but appreciate
browser and youtube. Standard wary and lupu with 192MB-512MB RAM work.

There is a Thin Slacko 5.5 from 2013, 145MB, said to run on PIII 600MHz with 256MB RAM 'or even lower specs' with swap
space or file. Optimized for PIII not i686. Opera browser and two others.

Larger than the 2012 99MB Thin Slacko 5.3 (with Firefox 3.6).

Both worth trying. Lupu 5.2.8.6 is usable too on this 500MHz with 256MB.

The barebones wiki page also lists

Slimpup 3.8 - runs on 600MHz with 35-70MB RAM. 'only' 425MB. 2013 update with Google Chrome 24.
Worked for someone in 256MB RAM.

QtPuppy (Wary with QT) 2012

Not relevant to PIII:

Saluki is 2012 "for hardware less than five years old" and meant for i686. Kernel 3.
Development continued as Carolina linux.

Dpup exprimo is 2011. Dpup 5.X.7 139MB iso. Seamonkey 2.3. Supports octa-core. Tested with 4GB RAM and quad core.
Kernel 3.4 - not needed for my hardware.

sindi

thinslacko 5.5 not usable with smtube

#112 Post by sindi »

Thinslacko 5.5 120MB (vs about 220MB for Slacko 6.3). Nice looking but seems to be missing libraries required for mplayer and vlc. I tried several versions including one statically compiled with very few dependencies (0.93, from about 2000). PPM keeps listing missing libs, and the static mplayer simply did not work in smtube. It does play mp3s.

The MN-510 USB wifi card works perfectly with TS 5.5. Sound works.
Nice to see links2 small graphical browser.

But TS 5.5 won't work with smtube since it needs mplayer or vlc (or something larger yet). I did not try the enormous Ubuntu mplayer but did install mplayers and vlcs from various puppies including puppy slacko. Newer laptops can play youtube in a browser (Firefox has its own player now) but this one has too little cpu power and RAM.

I have smtube working with lupu 5.2.5, and wary 5.3 (but no sound on the old laptop) at 360p. Good enough.

Robert123

#113 Post by Robert123 »

Sindi if you want a single file mplayer that is statically linked and runs on old machines try this (Sorry no gui]

http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... led.tar.gz

sindi

mplayer 2 for PII works with thinslacko 5.5

#114 Post by sindi »

Turns out my static mplayer was missing libtermcap. (mplayer 1 try 7).

The PII mplayer 2 (improved mplayer) works perfectly with smtube
in thinslacko 5.5. I will try it at 500MHz.

Boots using about 50MB RAM (after subtracting cache and buffers) but I
can kill a lot of unneeded stuff such as ROX-filer (use menu instead),
parcellite clipboard, cupsd, various things in the tray. Together they
use 8% of 1.5GB, or about 50% of 256MB. I make a 'kl' script: kill
`pidof ROX-filer` etc. Down to 35MB. Pulp used about 25MB.

I have not figured out which files to edit so they won't start up.

mplayer uses 3%+2% of 1.5GB and 24% of 1.6GHz cpu - should work at
500MHz (360p). smtube uses nothing once it runs.

mplayer will run in framebuffer mode but smtube is not compiled to.

sindi

Thinslacko 5.5 kernel panic on PIII 500MHz

#115 Post by sindi »

Thinslacko 5.5.0.4 XZ non-scsi works perfectly on a 1.6GHz Acer ONE
netbook with 1.5GB memory.

It does not boot from hard drive on the 500MHz DELL.

Performing a 'switch_root' to the layered filesystem...
[ 84.855280] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
exitcode=0x00000100
and lots of 84.855280 and similar lines
... switch_root Not tainted 3.9.1-0 #1
Call Trace:
? panic+0x7b/0x153 and similar

Someone with the same exitcode in Tahr fixed the problem by setting
up a save file on a separate partition after booting from live CD.
They posted to linuxquestions.org

lupumini 5.2.8.6 uses about 50MB of RAM including 23MB buffers and
has no such problems on this laptop. It boots easily and quickly.
It is also small. Full lupu 5.2.8 is 168 MB. Version 5.0 128 MB.
I just found a lupu 5.40 128 MB and a lupu-lite 104MB at
archive.org. Do they qualify as thinpups?

sindi

lupu mini 5.2.8.6 designed for 256MB RAM

#116 Post by sindi »

Lupu mini splits the sfs file into two - with the main file fitting into
256MB RAM and the rest as a zdrv file (which does not load into RAM?).
This seems ideal for a laptop with 256MB RAM and super-slow hard drive.

Thinslacko may not be able to handle this little memory.

Puppy 4.3.1 does a really really slow file check every boot.
So does Arcade Puppy 11 4.2-based.

Lupu does not.

I discovered Wireless B card downloads at half the rated 11 MBps,
which is plenty fast enough for 360p youtube. 500Mhz cannot
handle 720p and smtube (at least with mplayer) displays 480p as
240p.

Thanks again for all the help, especially mplayer2 for PII, which
I can add to lupumini.

Robert123

#117 Post by Robert123 »

Sindi you should probaly try an earlier Lucid 5.11.

sindi

Lucid 5.1 vs 5.2

#118 Post by sindi »

I just read about the differences between Lucid 5.1, 5.2.5 and 5.2.8.

5.1 is optimized for i386 instead of i686, as regards ffmpeg and C libraries.

I downloaded and will try 5.1.1 and also 5.2.5 (which I think supports older hardware
better, such as non-cardbus wifi cards).

5.2.8 (but not 5.40) is a welcome change from the Win2K that is still on there (continually
swaps to hard disk). I got a Gigafast wifi G card working with ndiswrapper but could not
figure out what to do with it in Win2K itself.

Pelo

What about Saluki (013 or 23) ?

#119 Post by Pelo »

What about Saluki (013) ? puppy_luki_013.sfs 70MB plus zdrv_luki_013.sfs: 22 M

sindi

saluki linux is too new

#120 Post by sindi »

Saluki linux has kernel 3.2.8 and is designed for computers less than 5 years old.
I have not owned any of those since my 1986 XT (8MHz).
XFCE desktop - jwm is smaller.

A 130MB sfs works in lupu. A kernel 3 panics in thinslacko.

I am testing Lupu 5.1.1. The mplayer 1.0rc3 in it does not work with smtube.
Unknown option in command line -title. I will try mplayer2, or mplayer from lupu 5.2.8.6.

25MB RAM if I kill cupsd ROX-filer and things in the tray, and do not use a firewall.
The kids that i supply with laptops do not do online banking. This is about 5MB less
than Lupu 5.2.5.

Firefox 24 uses 187% of memory. Opera (Turbo) and qtweb are outdated but work and
use 54% and 66% of memory (llbean), and up to 95% of CPU (qtweb).