browsers and tricky puppy :-x(

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
oui

browsers and tricky puppy :-x(

#1 Post by oui »

not all PC's / laptops are covered well enough by each Puppy.

not all new puppy's can be immediately found as being good / accepted.

Puppy is no Champagne (=constant quality of the bubbles :wink: ).

Today, I did try again slacko 5.3.1, a don't-on-my-Dell-Laptop-starting-well-Puppy.

But I did change my tactic: I did use xvesa, and, oh wonder, it goes! It goes well until 1280 x .... resolution (ok it is not really the high resolution that my laptop can normally manage, but it is higher as the poor resolution I get in xorg in some other Puppy's...)

but

the seamonkey version included in my download is definitively too old!

why creators use some critic browsers in their iso's? perhaps because they find it would be a good attraction for her new puplets? yes, it is so at parution time. but only a few days later? no other software become as fast caduque and object of great critic as browsers from mozilla: each day of the year a new version! you can't install so what bad in a new iso :lol: :oops: :shock:

why not more moderate browsers? iron, vimprobable (one prefered by the slackware world), etc. ...

or

only a CLI browser able to start more (downloads) but no "great" but at the day of parution itself "to old", only actual, absolutely not future version of browser being considered as perhaps top?

divers puppy have already 2 main.sfs. why not some third one

- puppy.sfs
- zdrv.sfs
- browser-designed-to-become-fast-very-old.sfs

:?:

that browser can be a browser like vimprobable for slack (beeing very easy install in ubuntu :D ) instead as some firefox / seamonkey being the

next day

desesperably

to old!

Rattlehead

#2 Post by Rattlehead »

+1 to the call of attention regarding browsers and Puppy. Of course it is the guys who develop the actual Puppy code who have the last word, and we are only mere users, base worms unworthy of kissing even the shadow of their sacrosanct feet, but that said...

The big thing I miss is sustainability. I'm comfortable with Seamonkey, I've come to love it and have it customized to my liking along the years.

But like you say, mozilla never stops producing new versions. As time goes by, the browser starts to get filled with warning messages (you're not updated, yada yada...), and more and more websites become irresponsive. At some point, you have to update, and it's impossible to keep up with progress-that-never-stops unless you have some kind of automated system in place.

And how annoying is it pressing a button that says "check for updates" and not getting any updates whatsoever? (same experience with: get Flash, get the Shockwave plugin...).

I mean, the browser can be as abstruse as fancied, as long as its updating process is straightforward; every time I've had to update/install a browser (be it in Puppy 2.16, 4.2., 4.31, 5.11, 5.3. or my current Slacko 5.5.), it has been a forum odyssey, with a lot of finger crossing. And we're not talking here about some obscure utility to convert UTF-8 to a dialect of Klingon, but about the most important program for any OS; in fact, for many users, the only program they actually use.

As for vimprobable, I'd love to try it, I tried to install it once but fell in dependency hell; I love the vim navigation keys, I used to use w3m, and Vimperator was quite nice too, although a bit unstable in the version I used...

unicorn316386

Re: browsers and tricky puppy :-x(

#3 Post by unicorn316386 »

oui wrote:only a CLI browser able to start more (downloads) but no "great" but at the day of parution itself "to old", only actual, absolutely not future version of browser being considered as perhaps top?
I think ThinSlacko5.5.01 comes with Links (text) browser, which works well for simple browsing and what you mentioned.

I do not upgrade from Firefox 28 because it is a good middle-ground between lightweight and functional for me in 2015.

solo

#4 Post by solo »

From what I see Shinobar's Portable Firefox works well under Slacko.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91945

I've been running it for quite a while now (I'm running Precise though), and I'm really satisfied with it. It updates itself, so you always have the latest version, and the cache is outside of the savefile, so you don't have to worry about savefile space.

Really, with all the bloat a browser like Firefox carries nowadays, it's much more economical to run it as SFS, ot portable.

Perhaps you need a barebone version of Slacko where you can add your own preferred browser.

oui

#5 Post by oui »

thank you for the answers!

I find the concept of Puppy good: have (about) all what you need after you did download it and you know what you will get!

but they are different approach to do that!

as I did remember, the main sfs file is already split in a great number of Puppy's! for a reason concerning only a few people: how many % of users use REALLY the splitting of zdrv.sfs? the most numerous puppyist don't know at all why the splitting of that file and how to answer the question if you want or not at remastering time in versions asking for that :roll:

there are 2 domains where the actualisation of files it required really frequent: wine, but, and it is good so, wine is not included in Puppy (well!) and

mozilla.

I am certain that a lot of users would prefer, between both, to get a

- browser.sfs
instead of a
- zdrv.sfs

:idea:

@rattlehead Note1: vimprobable is very interesting really. you can install it easily in the new slacko 6.3.0, it is at the depository and works (but with the bug of all webkit children in the most Puppy's, very ugly frame around the entry fields like in the little editor window of that Puppy forum!)

what I don't find good at all is the start page of vimprobable, the vimprobable page at SourceForge.net: I boycott SourceForge.net. SourceForge.net is a great spamer with use of cookies and the very ugly advertising on it!

@rattlehead Note2: you can also use xxxterm / xombrero with minimal settings and have after that about the same as vimprobable offers!

Rattlehead

#6 Post by Rattlehead »

Thank you for the wealth of resources on browsers.

@Solo, thank you, a browser that updates is for sure a keeper! (although I have this little problem with Firefox: I hate the redundancy of having a URL field + a text search field - weren't computers supposed to automate things for us? :evil: )

Thank you also @oui, I did not know Xombrero and I'm dying to try it in my Xead (little Spanish joke here :P ). It's also good to know that vimprobable works ootb in Slacko 63, for the time when it's time to "change homes"... (now I live in Slacko55)...

solo

#7 Post by solo »

Rattlehead wrote:@Solo, thank you, a browser that updates is for sure a keeper! (although I have this little problem with Firefox: I hate the redundancy of having a URL field + a text search field - weren't computers supposed to automate things for us? :evil: )
Oh I wouldn't call that redundant. The text search field isn't so much a text search field as it is a search engine in your toolbar. If you would click on the little magnifying glass icon in the left corner of that field, it opens a little menu with an option at the bottom called Search Settings or something similar. If you go there it opens a settings window where you can add search engines you would like as an option to make search queries in, and you can edit your order preference.
I like this feature, it helps me do away with search engines which store my IP and search data in favor of search engines which respect my privacy such as DuckDuckGo and Ixquick.

unicorn316386

Re: browsers and tricky puppy :-x(

#8 Post by unicorn316386 »

oui wrote:divers puppy have already 2 main.sfs. why not some third one

- puppy.sfs
- zdrv.sfs
- browser-designed-to-become-fast-very-old.sfs
I took up your challenge of trying this :)

edit: Link is now dead, might revive if there's interest.

Pelo

Xombrero is my browser for ToOppy One

#9 Post by Pelo »

OUI, i am happy to tell you that Xombrero is my browser for ToOppy One, Argolance Precise 5.7.1 until to Day. Very speedy for Puppy.
Attachments
xombrero.jpg
Perhaps Argolance will choose it, for 2P version 2.2
(138.52 KiB) Downloaded 307 times

Pelo

browsers from mozilla: each day of the year a new version

#10 Post by Pelo »

"browsers from mozilla: each day of the year a new version" Oui try Light 49
Mozilla browser provided by Musher0 there This one is really light and good !