How about an IceWM based Puppy?

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Walt H

How about an IceWM based Puppy?

#1 Post by Walt H »

Maybe it's not wanted or needed, but the thought occurred to me that, with Barry working on a KDE-based version of Puppy (perhaps to be called K-9 or KPuppy, in keeping with the KDE naming conventions), perhaps there might be the desire for an IceWM based Puppy. I am a bit hampered by my lack of knowledge, lack of time (that darn thing called everyday life keeps getting in the way :) ), and lack of speedy internet connection (26K just doesn't get the job done, but broadband is not yet an option).

If someone were to tackle such a project, I could supply some name suggestions. How about Puppy on Ice? Or maybe Ice, Ice Puppy (as a tribute to Vanilla Ice - just kidding) :) Or even Snow Puppy? The background could feature a picutre of a St. Bernard pup, with the traditional cask around its neck. Or would that be more suitable for the inevitable Rescue Puppy? :D
Walt

Now that you point it out to me, the answer seems painfully obvious.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Walt :)

Done that. Gone there. Ate the T-shirt - grr . . woof.

It is called PizzaPup and it boots straight into Icewm. It is 30% faster than the standard Pup because it uses the 2.6 Kernel

If we are kind and patient - we may have the doggee treat of a new version?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

Hmmm.... I could have sworn I used the 2.4 kernal, because 2.6 was giving everyone trouble. Maybe I have my numbers confused, but I know I used whatever kernal was the old one. As for a new version, that's one of the first things I'm going to do when I get back into Puppy (sometime after 1.0.5 is released). This time it will be a more significant variation as the last one was more of a test to see if the remaster script worked. It will have the usual Flamin' Ice combo (Firefox + IceWM) and any other goodies I come up with. One thing I'm going to do is make it look as smooth as I can. I have a feeling I'm going to be playing with gimp to relax after school, and I can channel those efforts towards Puppy art.
I remember when I was a wee lad, thinking "Wouldn't it be great if all the settings for the operating system were stored in textfiles, and I could just go in and change it however I want?" Well, Linux and Puppy have made that dream a reality. With Puppy, I can make my own os tailored to fit my needs, and I can do it quickly.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

What a fool that cructacean is!
And I should know for I am 'im . . .

You are right - It was John Murgas Opera Puplet (the first one with boot menus) that was 39 meg and used Opera and the 2.6 kernel . . .

Hope I got it right this time . . .

Look forward to the new PizzaPup 1.0.5

Will there be anchovies (just asking)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

Hmmm.... I'm not quite sure how to best combine anchovies with Puppy, but I'll give it a shot :wink:
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]