2.12: MUT won't mount secondary hard drive

Booting, installing, newbie
acanthus

2.12: MUT won't mount secondary hard drive

#1 Post by acanthus »

Just installed Puppy 2.12 with amazing ease. i can't access one of my hard drives though. When I open Media Utility Tool to mount the drives, I can mount my primary disk drive but the secondary drive cannot be mounted or unmounted. When I follow the Rox link to that drive, it takes me to /initrd/mnt/dev_save the contents of the drive are not viewable.

I did loose patience when intsalling drivers when I first booted, was that a mistake?

Thanks for the help, Arlen

zigbert

#2 Post by zigbert »

if your sec. harddrive has a NTFS filesystem, MUT fails if it detected as dirty. Try Pmount instead.

acanthus

#3 Post by acanthus »

the second HD is FAT, its a WIN 98 machine. Pmount shows the drive but the color is pale green, instead of the bright green of a fully mounted drive. There is not the option on Pmount to mount/unmount either. thanks - Arlen

WhoDo

#4 Post by WhoDo »

acanthus wrote:the second HD is FAT, its a WIN 98 machine. Pmount shows the drive but the color is pale green, instead of the bright green of a fully mounted drive. There is not the option on Pmount to mount/unmount either. thanks - Arlen
Where did you install Puppy? That "pale green" in Pmount usually means the drive is already mounted and in use by the Puppy system. That could be the case if you did a COEXIST installation and put the Puppy files into that drive/partition.

If so, I believe you will only be able to see either your Puppy or Win98 but not both. Puppy will use that drive as the host for the pup_212.sfs file system.

acanthus

Can I tell puppy where to store its info

#5 Post by acanthus »

I didn't think I did a co-exist install, just meant to use the live cd. Is there a way I can tell puppy to use the primary drive instead. Really what I need to do is to be able to go back and forth between the drives even if I have to reboot. Is there a way for puppy to store info on a floppy instead? Am I right that puppy is just saving my set up info? Thanks again.

WhoDo

Re: Can I tell puppy where to store its info

#6 Post by WhoDo »

acanthus wrote:I didn't think I did a co-exist install, just meant to use the live cd. Is there a way I can tell puppy to use the primary drive instead. Really what I need to do is to be able to go back and forth between the drives even if I have to reboot. Is there a way for puppy to store info on a floppy instead? Am I right that puppy is just saving my set up info? Thanks again.
Okay, if you didn't do a COEXIST install, maybe when you shutdown from your first CD session you told Puppy to save its settings to a file. If so, that file has to be stored somewhere; perhaps on your secondary drive.

In order to get around that, use puppy pfix=ram when you boot from the LiveCD. That should ignore any pup_save file and let you boot entirely fresh. You can then mount the secondary drive, find the .3fs or .2fs save file and delete/move it to whereever you want.

A floppy is way too small for the pup_save.3fs file - minimum 32Mb if memory serves. You can use a USB stick or a multi-session CD. If you have a CD burner in that machine, you can burn the Puppy iso to a multisession CD and save all your settings to the CD. That's Puppy's forte.

Hope that helps

spb37

#7 Post by spb37 »

Once error checking and defraging the drive in windows enabled puppy to see it.

Another option is to use puppy to reformat the drive to ext3.

Hope this helps. Good luck

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

acanthus wrote:the second HD is FAT, its a WIN 98 machine. Pmount shows the drive but the color is pale green, instead of the bright green of a fully mounted drive. There is not the option on Pmount to mount/unmount either. thanks - Arlen
Pale-green means that it is mounted but is in use by Puppy so can't be unmounted. It is however "fully mounted" and read/writable.