Setting Icon, Symlink & Program Into Menu...?[SOLVED]

Booting, installing, newbie
babaguy

Setting Icon, Symlink & Program Into Menu...?[SOLVED]

#1 Post by babaguy »

[Update on 9. December, 2015: This is an excellent thread and really helped me... Hope it helps you, too!!! : - ) ]

Hello Again, All -

Lucid Puppy 5.2.8.7 running from a DVD-R
Toshiba Equium laptop

I *thought* I'd solved everything regarding getting an up-to-date-Puppy and a web browser that I LIKE, that WORKS and that is reasonably secure and easy to configure.

BUT - I'm afraid I'm still no further forward on figuring out how to make the code for the program - PALE MOON - run / execute.

I have taken the advice of typing in a terminal window the partial name - e.g.:

" #pal

(or)

#palemoon

and I've tried to get the system to tell me what the executable is, thus:

#palemoon --help

No soap - I get " command not found " and/or Puppy will not complete the NAME of the program - The half-spelled word just sits there...

I've tried using the location of the program as the executable, thus:
# /mnt/palemoon
-sh: /mnt/palemoon: Is a directory
# palemoon
-sh: palemoon: command not found
# palemoon “$@"
-sh: palemoon: command not found
I've also tried:
/mnt/palemoon/palemoon
If I click the 'gear' icon in the Pale Moon folder, or if I click the gear icon designated as "palemoon-bin" - EACH of these will launch the browser.

And I can launch it from the terminal window when I hover my cursor over 'gear' icon in the Pale Moon folder and click on "Run in Terminal" - but the ensuing output is all integer/number/numeral commands, nothing with the program name 'palemoon' as the first command...

I have managed to set and also un-set( ! ) the Pale Moon icon on the desktop, but I can't seem to make that icon clickable so as to run the program, and I can't figure out how to get the program PALE MOON to list itself in the "Internet" section of the list of programs that appear when the MENU button is clicked, or the desktop is Right-clicked.

Pale Moon asks me if I want to make Pale Moon my default browser, and I click "Yes" but this does not end up listing Pale Moon in the Internet section.

I've run ' fixmenus ' a couple of times, but, again, no joy in the List department...

I've played around and searched, but I'm stumped at the moment.

Puppy KNOWS that Pale Moon exists, as a directory! - but I haven't figured out how to make Puppy show me what the command ought to be to make it run.

I realize this is all basic, basic stuff, but any help anyone can offer will be most appreciated!

Thanks again, in advance, as ever,

- babaguy
Last edited by babaguy on Wed 09 Dec 2015, 12:57, edited 2 times in total.
"Real happiness lies in making others happy." - Meher Baba

Barkin

#2 Post by Barkin »

Palemoon have an installer program which worked for me on 5.2.8.7 ...

https://linux.palemoon.org/download/installer/

Unpack "pminstaller.sh", then left mouse click on "pminstaller.sh" runs the installer.

Using that installer Palemoon appears in the Puppy menu , but doesn't create a desktop icon.

Drag-n-drop the moon icon to replace the gear icon , (see attached image).
then drag-n-drop Palemoon ( which now has the moon icon instead of gear) onto the desktop.
Attachments
drag-n-drop moon icon.png
(53.95 KiB) Downloaded 654 times

unicorn316386

#3 Post by unicorn316386 »

Hi babaguy,

I think the command to navigate to your palemoon in the terminal would be (with a space between cd and /):

Code: Select all

cd /mnt/palemoon
palemoon

mikeslr

Your Palemoon is not on Puppy's "Path"

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Hi babaguy,

Palemoon is essentially a "portable". That is, it is self-contained, without need to access any libraries installed to your operating system in order to run. That is why it runs when you click its executable.

The problem is that Puppy --in your case Lucid-- can't find it as it's not on a path where any Linux operating system expects executables to be.

AFAIK, every Linux system is built to find and run executables from "bin" folders, to wit: /usr/bin, usr/local/bin, /usr/sbin, etc. Puppies are constructed to include in its path an additional location so that applications specifically built for Puppy won't conflict with similar applications you might install from "compatible" distros employing "standard" Linux structure.

A portable, however, can be placed anywhere, provided that a symlink "on the path" exists to such portable's executable. That's what's done when an application --such as LibreOffice-- gets installed to /opt. [I'm not sure: /opt may be 'on the path', but desktop files --which Puppy uses to create Menu entries-- must be symlinked from there to /usr/share/applications where Puppy expects to find them.

In your case, however, you've installed palemoon to the folder /mnt. Mnt --and in some Linux Distros, media-- is a folder customarily reserved to linking "storage devices" to the system. You can keep the palemoon folder there --but you've created a non-standard system which may have unwanted consequences -- maybe none.

I would browse to /mnt and delete the entire Palemoon folder and start again. Edit 3/05/2015: Ignore this suggestion. After this post I setup and ran palemoon from /mnt/home, albeit, beginning by unpacking the bz2 downloaded version as set out below rather than using the installer version.

As Barkin suggested, you can use Palemoon's installer. Or you can download the bz2 file from here, h[url]ttp://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/[/url], unpack it and move the entire Palemoon folder to /opt or --my preference-- /mnt/home. /opt is within --thus taking up space in--your SaveFile/folder. /mnt/home is not.

The following technique can be used to link your Palemoon executable to Puppy. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 27a#507532. If you place its folder in /opt, your BASH script should read, code:

#!/bin/sh
exec /opt/palemoon/palemoon "$@"

Although that post concerned SWIron, the technique will work with any Web-browser --including Palemoon, I just tried it-- and many other applications. Exceptions are Google-chrome, Chromium and SWIron [whose structure was changed after my post]. I don't know how shinobar's portable google-chrome manages something similar. :?

Regardless of where you locate your Palemoon folder, the first time it runs it will create a hidden folder: /root/.moonchild productions --note the "dot". Within that folder Palemoon will keep its settings and cache files, thus taking up space in your SaveFile. It is recommended that you move .moonchild productions out of /root --perhaps to a named folder on /mnt/home so you can find it-- and then symlink that folder back to /root.

Hope this helps.

mikesLr
Last edited by mikeslr on Wed 09 Mar 2016, 01:24, edited 1 time in total.

babaguy

#5 Post by babaguy »

Dear mikeslr, Barkin & unicorn 316386 -

Thanks for all the cogent and clear advice and tips.

I *had* to download a new version, mikeslr, because - well - Pale Moon basically disappeared when I rebooted... I tracked down its various bits and pieces and have consigned them to the TRASH bin on the desktop - soon to be deleted.

I now have Pale Moon installed using the " pminstaller.sh " and this has put Pale Moon in the /opt directory - which is actually fine as I have a huge pup_save file and an empty 60 gig hard drive and other storage - so I'm not too concerned about its location.

The important thing is: It works!!!

I've set the icon, and dragged it to the desktop, and clicking on the Pale Moon opens up the program! Whew!!!

I have run "fixmenus" once in a terminal window, but Pale Moon does not appear ( so far ) in the menu above the MENU button - WAIT!!!! I TAKE THIS BACK!!!

Pale Moon *is* there now in the menu, but without a tiny Pale Moon icon beside it...

Well, I think I'll quit while I'm ahead this evening, and Hope and Trust (but Verify!) that Puppy will remember all these settings and be just the way I left her the next time I punch the Power-On button of this here laptop...

THANK YOU ALL again, so very much for your prompt and precise help. You guys are the BEST!!!

In case you haven't downloaded it yet, I've posted a link to a FREE AUDIO BOOK I produced and narrated back in 2013. It's a novel from the 1930's entitled ADAM CARGO, written by a man whom I knew when I was a boy. It's a hell of a book, and very unexpected and oblique, and/but it's only 3:13 (Three hourse & thirteen minutes) in duration, so not too long and it's got some swell music at the beginnings and ends of chapters, too!!!

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 703b874504

( I'm an Actor by profession. This is a wee Thank You to any who might appreciate it here on the forum.)

All The Best!!!

I'm off to gaze at that ole Pale Moon for a spell...

- babaguy

Barkin

#6 Post by Barkin »

babaguy wrote:Pale Moon *is* there now in the menu, but without a tiny Pale Moon icon beside it...
You can set the icon via "PupMenu launcher and editor" in "utility" menu, see attached screen-grab ...
Attachments
set_menu_icon_PaleMoon.png
Screen-grab of "PupMenu launcher and editor"
(143.04 KiB) Downloaded 330 times

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, babaguy.

There is another way of doing it, and it's one that I've employed for years, with many different OS's. It works particularly well in Puppy because of the right-click options for desktop items.

If you Google 'png icons for PaleMoon' (note that .png; they work better on the desktop than .jpg's), you should get a page of images related to PaleMoon come up. Find a .png image that you like (doesn't matter about size too much, as Puppy automatically re-sizes desktop icons to 48x48, or thereabouts), and download it. Usually click to view, then click to 'View Image'. Then right-click, and 'Save as', etc...

Back on the desktop, bring up a Rox window with your downloaded icon. Right-click your executable for PaleMoon. 'File (or 'Symlink') PaleMoon', then the extra list gives, at the bottom, Set Icon. Click this, and a second small window will open, 'Drag icon here' or similar. Just drag-and-drop to this window. And that will give you an icon of your choice.

I have a huge library of customized icons I've culled from Google over the years... This is the one that I use for PaleMoon.

Mike. :wink:
Attachments
pale moon.png
(2.72 KiB) Downloaded 521 times

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again.

Just for inspiration ( and as an illustration of what can be achieved), here's one of my multiple Tahrpup desktops. This is my USB frugal 'just-in-case' install. (I have two other frugals, both on hard drive, ; one on my desktop.....and one on an elderly Dell laptop).

http://i.imgur.com/WxyTCMd.png

babaguy

#9 Post by babaguy »

Thanks Mike -

I very much like the look of your "just-in-case" USB Frugal install desktop - It looks like the cover of a James Lee Burke novel I might voice someday...!!!

The method you describe is essentially the one I used to set the (current) desktop icon for Pale Moon, except I used an icon from within the program folder(s)...

I still haven't set the icon for the menu, but will use Barkin's excellent advice and see if it actually *is* excellent! [EDIT / UPDATE: It *IS* !!! Thanks, Barkin!]

Now that "Car Talk" is all in the past, searching for alternative .png icons via "StartPage" ( - WHY, exactly are you still using G**gle...?) or "DuckDuckGo" will likely prove a new way for me to "waste another perfectly good hour" as Ray used to say...

Thanks for the inspiration - I'll be back for more when I create my *own* just-in-case USB Frugal install of Puppy...

BTW - It's a new topic, I suppose, but Is there any reason why the frugal install of Puppy can't be on the same (large multi-GB) USB drive that also stores the pup_saves...? I realize I'd have to make the USB drive bootable, etc.

Just asking,,,

Thanks Again!

- babaguy
Last edited by babaguy on Fri 27 Nov 2015, 20:29, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Walsh

#10 Post by Mike Walsh »

Glad you like it! Graphic design's always been my main hobby, y'see. Every time I set up a Pup, the desktop gets thoroughly customized; it gets looked at quite often, so I might as well enjoy it.....and every Pup is different to the others. PWidgets is about the only thing they all have in common..!

rufwoof

#11 Post by rufwoof »

Mike Walsh wrote:Glad you like it! Graphic design's always been my main hobby, y'see. Every time I set up a Pup, the desktop gets thoroughly customized; it gets looked at quite often, so I might as well enjoy it.....and every Pup is different to the others. PWidgets is about the only thing they all have in common..!

Here's a trick I've been using myself more recently Mike. In ~/Choices/ROX-Filer create a file with the current desktop number in it

echo 1 >current

Copy PuppyPin to each of PuppyPin1, PuppyPin2, .... PuppyPin5 i.e. 5 versions. Delete PuppyPin and symlink PuppyPin to PuppyPin1

Add a script called 'Script' containing

#!/bin/sh

# ignore multi reiterations (spinning scrollwheel)
multi=`ps | grep "ROX-Filer -p" | wc -l`
if [ $multi -gt 3 ]; then
  exit
fi
cd /root/Choices/ROX-Filer # cd to where ROX Pinboards are stored
prior=`cat current`        # current desktop is stored in /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/current
echo $1 >current           # Set 'current' to the new desktop number

# strip out any stored drive icons, </pinboard> and blank lines
cat PuppyPin$1 | egrep -v "pup_event/drive" | egrep -v "</pinboard>" | sed '/^$/d' >tmp$$

# Add in drives from immediately prior PuppyPin
# We use /root/.pup_event to match drives as being valid
ls -b /root/.pup_event >tmpL$$
# Grab existing drives from old desktop, using pup_event contents as a grep filter (sort unique to prevent multiple entries)
cat PuppyPin$prior | grep "/root/.pup_event/drive" | grep -f tmpL$$ | sort -u >>tmp$$
echo "</pinboard>" >>tmp$$ # Add on closing </pinboard> to XML file

mv -f tmp$$ PuppyPin$1;
rm tmpL$$ tmpM$$           # housekeeping
rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin$1 # Set rox to use the new desktop
and make it executable

Change ~/.jwm/jwmrc-personal number of desktop entry to

<!-- Number of virtual desktops -->
<Desktops width="5" height="1">
   <Desktop><Background type="command">/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/Script 1</Background></Desktop>
   <Desktop><Background type="command">/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/Script 2</Background></Desktop>
   <Desktop><Background type="command">/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/Script 3</Background></Desktop>
   <Desktop><Background type="command">/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/Script 4</Background></Desktop>
   <Desktop><Background type="command">/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/Script 5</Background></Desktop>
</Desktops>
Run from command prompt
fixmenus
and
jwm -restart

and enjoy the 5 desktops that each can right click, Natham wallpaper to set separate backgrounds and where you can have different icons on each of the 5 desktop (initially they'll all look the same due to having made 5 copies of the original PuppyPin).

Of course if you use jwm config to change the number of desktops it will/might screw things up. You'd need to add extra code (or remove that entry from jwm config) to aviod such conflicts.

Rather than jwm menu, you might use each desktop in a similar division manner, one for system, another for documents ....etc - with appropriate icons (apps) on each desktop. I like to expand the tray up to 'Taller' so that the 5 mini desktops in the tray is easier to see and right-click-hold a mini windows in that mini desktop to drag the mini windows to another mini desktop.

babaguy

#12 Post by babaguy »

Re rufwoof :

Gee Whiz ! ! ! ! !

Thanks to Barkin, I've just set the ICON of Pale Moon in my *MENU* - WOOO-HOOO ! ! ! ! !

Fossil

#13 Post by Fossil »

@babaguy.
BTW - It's a new topic, I suppose, but Is there any reason why the frugal install of Puppy can't be on the same (large multi-GB) USB drive that also stores the pup_saves...? I realize I'd have to make the USB drive bootable, etc.
That was strangely fortuitous. Why? Because I'm doing exactly that just as you posed the question. It's an experiment!
USB drive formatted as FAT32 and then boot-flagged in Gparted.
The already created frugal installs on the hard drive were copied across to the 8gig USB drive. Grub4DOS was invoked - careful to only use the USB drive [Tick the box!] Allow G4D to do it's 'thing'. Make a backup of the Menu.lst as a precautionary measure. And - Tad-Da (oops! :roll: ). This is the enclosed boot screen capture.

Footnote: Notice sym-linked GQView icon! :D
Attachments
USB-Frugal-x800.jpg
(57.35 KiB) Downloaded 464 times

babaguy

#14 Post by babaguy »

It's Cosmic, Fossil !!!

Thank you for the brisk talk / walk-through !!!

I ought to mark this thread [SOLVED] but too much useful and great stuff keeps flowing in... ! ! !

"Onward!"

- babaguy

Fossil

#15 Post by Fossil »

@babaguy Glad to be of service! :lol: I should have added that the savefile.fs for each Puppy is already enclosed within each folder; all inclusive, prior to copying to the USB.
Puppy is versatile !!! :D

rufwoof

#16 Post by rufwoof »

babaguy wrote:Re rufwoof :

Gee Whiz ! ! ! ! !
The screen capture on this old single core Celeron (running 5.3 Slacko) isn't good, but as a indication of what multi-desktops (different wallpapers and icons on each desktop) 'feels' like https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4MbXu ... sp=sharing

The video's not too good as it was captured on a very old clunky Celeron single core (that's running a remastered Slacko 5.3.3 (thin)).

greengeek

#17 Post by greengeek »

Hi Mike - whats Ph'scape?
cheers!

greengeek

#18 Post by greengeek »

rufwoof wrote:The screen capture on this old single core Celeron (running 5.3 Slacko) isn't good, .
Why is is so unclear? I would expect perfect clarity for a screenshot from S53. Am I missing something? (I am trying hard to follow your recent developments with your pups and I don't want to miss any details...)
:-)

rufwoof

#19 Post by rufwoof »

Hi greengeek

The capture rate dropped frames (because it couldn't keep up) - the somewhat high res wallpapers were slow to 'redraw' the next desktops background image and continue capturing frames. Frankly I was suprised that xvidcap even captured the different desktops (i.e. it was a quck-n-dirty test) - I had expected it to crash out/stop however recording of the switch out the old puppy pin/switch in new puppy pin worked well.

Mike Walsh

#20 Post by Mike Walsh »

greengeek wrote:
Hi Mike - whats Ph'scape?
cheers!
Hi, greengeek.

"What's Ph'Scape?" Well, PhotoScape is a small, yet quite powerful graphics application that I used for a long time in XP, almost from its first release, way back in about 2007/8. It doesn't do anything that you couldn't do in the GIMP (with some ingenious to-ing & fro-ing), but I've been using it for so many years that I've become very proficient with it.

Luckily, this same little app runs perfectly under WINE. In fact, it has the 'Platinum' rating.....which means that absolutely everything works. I was so impressed with the way the newest, current version (3.7) works under WINE, that I submitted a review on its performance to the WINE HQ Database:-

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=31074

The review was done in Ubuntu at the time, using 1.7.28: currently, I use 1.7.51, from version2013's repo:-

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 294#864294

It works very well indeed! If you're interested, you can find PhotoScape here:-

http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/index.php

Make sure you get it from the Photoscape site; you can get this from many of the download sites, but the installers are full of crap. The only thing the genuine installer might offer you is to install Chrome.....the check box is easy to clear.....and quite prominent.

It's only about 19-20 MB in size.....and it really is a remarkably full-featured little app. I use it for doing all my Puppy desktop stuff. The only thing that sometimes doesn't work with certain Puppy/hardware combinations is the colour palette refusing to change colours, but you can get round that with the eye-dropper; the rest.....just works.

If you don't mind running WINE, I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 28 Nov 2015, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.